PDA

View Full Version : Alum. vs S/S impeller

76miller
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I know that a S/S impeller if ran with the right shaft can support more hp than a alum., but would one impeller cavitate any less then the other during hard exceleration, or hole shot? If the entire set up was the same,(stuffer,flowed bowl, inducer,loader,droop,diverter) but you only changed the impeller material(not size)???? Would you see any improvement, or less cavitation ??? Thanks for any input to this debate.

squirt'nmyload
06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Aluminum is for hulls not impellers.
what about beer cans :D

vee-driven
06-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Shit even my sea-doo has a stainless impeller, but me being a "car guy" and all, i would say that a stainless impeller would hold up better with the debris in the water or rocks, a lot stronger material than aluminum so it may not distort under load like an aluminum one would, but then there is the added weight of stainless which may take more power to turn, i read all that in hot rod magazine. j/k

Danhercules
06-25-2007, 03:39 PM
What about bronze too?
I have a "A" alum in the deck boat. My new motor is gonna be above 650 +. I think I need a new imp. I was wondering if I should go bronze or SS.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
What about bronze too?
I have a "A" alum in the deck boat. My new motor is gonna be above 650 +. I think I need a new imp. I was wondering if I should go bronze or SS.
Yes, you do need non-aluminum.
My aggressor Mag-Bronze will eat up any HP you care to put at it, same as Stainless, at 1/2 the cost.
Bronze is easier to detail, and repair if damaged, yet damages easier than steel. Weigh the type and location of boating you do. I run deep lakes (20-200 feet) so I worry very little about rocks/sand/gravel. If I ran rivers a lot, I would have considered steel instead.

Sleeper CP
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I know that a S/S impeller if ran with the right shaft can support more hp than a alum., but would one impeller cavitate any less then the other during hard exceleration, or hole shot? If the entire set up was the same,(stuffer,flowed bowl, inducer,loader,droop,diverter) but you only changed the impeller material(not size)???? Would you see any improvement, or less cavitation ??? Thanks for any input to this debate.
All else being equal the hole shot would be the same. No more or less cavitation. The stainless gives you strength and endurance. It will out live an alum. impeller by several(many) season's, but it depends on what you put to it hp wise and rocks,sand etc. But an Alum. impeller will fill more than the average boats needs easily.
Sleeper CP

76miller
06-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Sleeper CP:
Thanks for the reply. I was talking to this guy at the river this weekend, and he was going on and on about this. I couldn't see how there would be much of a difference in hole shot, if everything in the pump was the same. I know that S/S is stronger,heavier and can hang with more hp, but this guy was so certain about a better hole shot that I started to wonder. Anyways, thanks
Vee-Driven:
Your Sea Doo huh.........cool man. You must really get chicks on that thing, looking like a bear f-ing a turtle. Damn car guys !

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Aluminum impellars are good if you dont have hight hp and keep thel moaded. If they get unloaded all the time they will look like this :eek: :eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239peller2.jpg

hotbo
06-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Aluminum impellars are good if you dont have hight hp and keep thel moaded. If they get unloaded all the time they will look like this :eek: :eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239peller2.jpg
yeah i agree 396.i had one that i had just bought brand new aggressor b cut last year put it in and went to a lake run with a bunch of other guys.noticed i wasnt doing to good the next day.when i got home had 1 fin gone and 1/4 of another missing.wow i was pissed.:devil: mine wasnt from horsepower i dont think i dont have alot but rather unloading the pump wot differernt parts of the day.it was ruff as hell those 2 days.i havent had another do that anymore since i cant afford bronze or stainless i bought a b-cut aggresor again a used one actually and run it a year no problems just go slow in the rough and only play on the smooth water now.i wouldnt think you would notice any difference in the take off sounds like people i used to listen to thats what got me broke:D 396 did that hurt anything else in there the bowl maybe those pieces had to go some where:confused: later

vee-driven
06-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Sleeper CP:
Thanks for the reply. I was talking to this guy at the river this weekend, and he was going on and on about this. I couldn't see how there would be much of a difference in hole shot, if everything in the pump was the same. I know that S/S is stronger,heavier and can hang with more hp, but this guy was so certain about a better hole shot that I started to wonder. Anyways, thanks
Vee-Driven:
Your Sea Doo huh.........cool man. You must really get chicks on that thing, looking like a bear f-ing a turtle. Damn car guys !\
Damn Wayne, is someone still but hurt about the comment on the procra-omp heads? I already told you i was sorry for warning you about those china heads. Yea i know i have had a shit load of classic cars, like 20 plus but i have been boating before it was the cool thing to do and damn i think i am on my 6th or 7th boat now yea i know the rayson craft isn't in the water yet but it was ready to go and take in mind i bought it as a bare hull at the end of summer, then i bought some cmi headders and a blown intercooled 572bbc so i had to rip it apart and i guess i will have to finish putting my v-drive together after i finish the floater that dropped a valve and destroyed the motor that i had nothing to do with that i am sure you will mention next. lets put this petty little B.S. behind us, i dont hold it against you that you have a ford powered jet boat, i like jets too and i think you did a swell job on it for your first time around.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-27-2007, 05:44 AM
396 did that hurt anything else in there the bowl maybe those pieces had to go some where:confused: later
That took out my bowl:mad: The bowl was actually cracked in 3 different places. The thing that pissed me off was that i spend 5 days polishing that bowl :cry:

hotbo
06-27-2007, 06:23 AM
That took out my bowl:mad: The bowl was actually cracked in 3 different places. The thing that pissed me off was that i spend 5 days polishing that bowl :cry:
hell ill cry with you:cry: been there before.but im assuming all is good now:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-27-2007, 06:34 AM
hell ill cry with you:cry: been there before.but im assuming all is good now:D
Oh yeah;) Detailed bronze in that biothc now :D