PDA

View Full Version : Sobriety check points in Havasu!!!!

ultra27jay
06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Sobriety check points in Havasu!!!!
Body: A friend of mine posted this just passing it along....I'll bet getting a boat out of impound costs a lot!
What up people.
This past weekend in Havasu the Arizona Fish and GAme along with the San BErnardino Sheriffs Dept set up a "River" check point just North of Topac Gorge.
For those of you that arent really familiar of where thats at, it's right before the Interstate 95 Bridge as your heading up to Needles.
First off I was ****ing HAULING ASS doing a consistent 80-85 MPH up river when all of the sudden EVERYONE slowed down to what seemed like to be an accident of some sort.... NOT, what it was in fact was about 30 Sea Doo Sheriff Cops and about 6 Patrol boats signaling EVERYONE to the beach that happened to be going upriver heading back to their destination from the sandbar. With about 80-100 Sheriffs waiting to take on ANY AND ALL given boats signaled over to the beach, I watched in amazement as pretty much everyone that got pulled over got a BUI.
Thank god I got a cool cop and I happened to play it off quite well, I got away with NOTHING. Scratch free, but in the time that we got questioned from the time we left, I witnessed about 10 -15 people getting BUI's on the water, not only boaters but sea-dooer's as well. From what he told me, they are going to start up setting these random check points on the colorado river more often so look out Havasu goers. They are set up with breathalizers and the whole nine yards, the Vessel Assist boats were busy hauling off 100 thousand dollar boats as their owner got zippy tied on the beach and watched their fun float away and the patty wagon took em off to jail.
So remember, if you see what seems to be be and "accident" on the water and youve been drinkin....
Either switch drivers or turn the **** around and be smooth about it.... there is plenty of time to do it and atleast it will save you from getting a BUI.
Pass this on river rats!!
and be safe out there.

Glamasu
06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Body: A friend of mine posted this just passing it along....I'll bet getting a boat out of impound costs a lot!
What up people.
This past weekend in Havasu the Arizona Fish and GAme along with the San BErnardino Sheriffs Dept set up a "River" check point just North of Topac Gorge.
For those of you that arent really familiar of where thats at, it's right before the Interstate 95 Bridge as your heading up to Needles.
First off I was ****ing HAULING ASS doing a consistent 80-85 MPH up river when all of the sudden EVERYONE slowed down to what seemed like to be an accident of some sort.... NOT, what it was in fact was about 30 Sea Doo Sheriff Cops and about 6 Patrol boats signaling EVERYONE to the beach that happened to be going upriver heading back to their destination from the sandbar. With about 80-100 Sheriffs waiting to take on ANY AND ALL given boats signaled over to the beach, I watched in amazement as pretty much everyone that got pulled over got a BUI.
Thank god I got a cool cop and I happened to play it off quite well, I got away with NOTHING. Scratch free, but in the time that we got questioned from the time we left, I witnessed about 10 -15 people getting BUI's on the water, not only boaters but sea-dooer's as well. From what he told me, they are going to start up setting these random check points on the colorado river more often so look out Havasu goers. They are set up with breathalizers and the whole nine yards, the Vessel Assist boats were busy hauling off 100 thousand dollar boats as their owner got zippy tied on the beach and watched their fun float away and the patty wagon took em off to jail.
So remember, if you see what seems to be be and "accident" on the water and youve been drinkin....
Either switch drivers or turn the **** around and be smooth about it.... there is plenty of time to do it and atleast it will save you from getting a BUI.
and be safe out there.
Heads up!!.....Good info....Heard about this....So its really happennin ...

raff
06-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Good info, but like I said in the other thread:
If you have to drink to have fun on the water you should just stay by the pool.
Just my 2 cents

Moneypitt
06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=ultra27jay;2639216]Sobriety check points in Havasu!!!!
For those of you that arent really familiar of where thats at, it's right before the Interstate 95 Bridge as your heading up to Needles.[Quote]
I 95 bridge??? Do you mean the I 40 bridge??? The Az 95 crosses IN Needles, right?.........MP

TCHB
06-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I am glad to see the patrols. Too many people driving the boats drunk and out of control.

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Good solution... don't drink and boat

KREGER
06-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Back in 96' I got arrested for a BUI.
Me and another guy from another boat registered a .10 on the breath test when we were pulled in at the same time.
We both had blood drawn 1/2 hour after we were pulled off the water.
In the end, our levels on the blood tests were .06.
I got out of it because I was innocent.
The equipment seemed to be calibrated a little off. Even if you are below the limit, you could end up in Jail. I did.
Dont drink and drive.

slowinhavasu
06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
We were wondering what that was all about as we flew- bye......SOBER....What a great feeling knowing I had no worries had they caught up....lol

ClownRoyal
06-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Back in 96' I got arrested for a BUI.
Me and another guy from another boat registered a .10 on the breath test when we were pulled in at the same time.
We both had blood drawn 1/2 hour after we were pulled off the water.
In the end, our levels on the blood tests were .06.
I got out of it because I was innocent.
The equipment seemed to be calibrated a little off. Even if you are below the limit, you could end up in Jail. I did.
Dont drink and drive.
That's over 10 years ago when they were just getting things worked out. Now... bend over and kiss your arse goodbye.

THOR
06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
What day was this?
I was up on Friday (and sober) didnt see a thing

Jyruiz
06-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Don't ever drink and operate anything but a remote control, thats my motto. :D

pixilatedpussy
06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
How about not drinking & driving at all & then no one has to worry about it!:rolleyes: ;)

MBlaster
06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I went past there on thursday, no cops. Personally I'm glad they are cracking down on the weekend traffic.

Tom Brown
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
These sobriety tests piss me off. The government is taking away our right to have fun. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
It's time to revolt, people. Who's with me?
This weekend... June 30 and July 1, let's all get drunk as fuc k and go boating. If everyone does it, they won't be able to arrest all of us. Just to punctuate our disobedience, let's do a bunch of stupid shit, hurt ourselves, perhaps eviscerate a swimmer or two, and make sure we're loud and obnoxious around anyone who is sober.

Invisible Sun
06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
:)

MR.rvrluvr
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
These sobriety tests piss me off. The government is taking away our right to have fun. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
It's time to revolt, people. Who's with me?
This weekend... June 30 and July 1, let's all get drunk as fuc k and go boating. If everyone does it, they won't be able to arrest all of us. Just to punctuate our disobedience, let's do a bunch of stupid shit, hurt ourselves, perhaps eviscerate a swimmer or two, and make sure we're loud and obnoxious around anyone who is sober.
count me in.....:)

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
we went through the same check point.. But got waved through. the time we went through I only saw two . IMO They should also have a check point just before hitting the channel.. We almost got hit by 3 different boats One time a friend of ours almost jumped out at one guy because he almost creamed us and a pontoon full of people trying to sqeeze three boats to the rocks. He looked like a pinball going through the bumpers.:mad: :mad:

Kachina26
06-25-2007, 07:41 PM
and be safe out there.
Interesting choice of words when passing along advise on how to avoid getting a well deserved BUI. :idea:

stoker22405
06-25-2007, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=ultra27jay;2639216]Sobriety check points in Havasu!!!!
For those of you that arent really familiar of where thats at, it's right before the Interstate 95 Bridge as your heading up to Needles.[Quote]
I 95 bridge??? Do you mean the I 40 bridge??? The Az 95 crosses IN Needles, right?.........MP
I 40 bridge ...Check point is right around the corner from Topock

westair
06-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Sounds like people here don't mind being pulled over for no
reason, being detained while they go through your sh*t,
blowing thru breathlizers, just being harassed while your
kids watch, I guess its all part of the fun ... and no I don't
drink and drive.
Thanks for the info on the ck points

ratso
06-25-2007, 07:58 PM
drink and drive.
I agree... ;)

SummerBreeze
06-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I think it's a great idea

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
drink and drive.
isn't it worth the 10 mins of your life and your family knowing they are doing this for everyone protection.. I honestly don't see the big deal 10 mins at that check point will save many lives.. maybe even your own...
what if they missed the guy just behind you who was drinkin and speeding ( or going very fast) and that guy decided to be even more stupid and ram his sponson up the backside of your boat..then would you care..
we slowed for the check point way ahead of time, they waved us through as we were gettin back on plain a guy came jammin around the corner at least 70 miles an hour on the wrong side of the river and wouldn't you know it the ass didn't go right like he should have he went left like an idiot.. he got stopped thank god because he almost took us out.:mad:

shueman
06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I am glad to see the patrols. Too many people driving the boats drunk and out of control.
+1...I think is GREAT...!!:)

Outnumbered
06-25-2007, 08:11 PM
How about not drinking & driving at all & then no one has to worry about it!:rolleyes: ;)
What she said...
The switch driver thing won't work because they have spotters with binocs. Besides, if you drive drunk you are a dick and deserve to go to jail.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-25-2007, 08:12 PM
What she said...
The switch driver thing won't work because they have spotters with binocs. Besides, if you drive drunk you are a dick and deserve to go to jail.
Ditto..

RaceFace
06-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I've always looked at it as if you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. Its definitely going to save lives. Even if its one life, its worth it.

westair
06-25-2007, 08:24 PM
isn't it worth the 10 mins of your life and your family knowing they are doing this for everyone protection.. I honestly don't see the big deal 10 mins at that check point will save many lives.. maybe even your own...
what if they missed the guy just behind you who was drinkin and speeding ( or going very fast) and that guy decided to be even more stupid and ram his sponson up the backside of your boat..then would you care..
we slowed for the check point way ahead of time, they waved us through as we were gettin back on plain a guy came jammin around the corner at least 70 miles an hour on the wrong side of the river and wouldn't you know it the ass didn't go right like he should have he went left like an idiot.. he got stopped thank god because he almost took us out.:mad:
Thats my whole point, the idiots are easy to spot .... I see them all day
long. I think they would make more arrest if they didn't waste their time
pulling everbody over in one spot. I want the drunk drivers off the lake
as much as anybody, I just don't agree with there methods.

trailerpark_tj
06-25-2007, 08:28 PM
We had a heads up at Moabi (thanks Deano) so we were fully expecting to get stopped, we rolled through and they waved us by. They were definietely out in full force.
BTW..Good seeing you guys again. I'm looking forward to staying at "our" house in the keys when it's finished :D .

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Thats my whole point, the idiots are easy to spot .... I see them all day
long. I think they would make more arrest if they didn't waste their time
pulling everbody over in one spot. I want the drunk drivers off the lake
as much as anybody, I just don't agree with there methods.
I think it may be to hard to know who is drunk on the water unless they are pulled over.. I know there are idiots but how do you tell the difference on water.. you can tell more on the road then in the water so it may be easier for them to just do all.. I know people who are drinking are driving fine at times, get pulled over and they are just over the limit so they go anyway then get upset because they were say one beer over the limit..
I hear what you are saying and you are right to a point.. But how can you actually tell?:)

RiverRatMike
06-25-2007, 08:35 PM
What up people.
and be safe out there.
yeah I'll pass it on and I'll be sure to be going 80+ in my boat

little rowe boat
06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
As am I.

HM
06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I swear I saw this post last year.
What a moron....."i played it pretty well" STFU.

Kachina26
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I swear I saw this post last year.
What a moron....."i played it pretty well" STFU.
well said.

dunaholic
06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
What is the penalty for refusing a blow test? or any type of test for that matter..Just wondering.

CarBizIndio
06-25-2007, 10:28 PM
The police are out of control. While there out playing on the water making money for the city some one's kid is buying drugs from some drug dealer that pry killed some one to steal drugs from. Not to mention the murderers running around, for instance the cops who kill there wife's.

CarBizIndio
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
What is the penalty for refusing a blow test? or any type of test for that matter..Just wondering.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154397&page=2

dunaholic
06-25-2007, 11:05 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154397&page=2
How in the hell can they get a warrant to take your blood. Sounds like a violation of some sort of civil right or something.

OverKill
06-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Good info, but like I said in the other thread:
If you have to drink to have fun on the water you should just stay by the pool.
Just my 2 cents
Amen to you sir.
Does anyone here want to see what it looks like after being hit head on by a drunk driver?? Let me know and I will post pics, and I will meet you in person. Just so you can have a good look at a guy that had a great life cut down to nothing by a F**ing drunk driver. I don't feel sorry any one of you that feel you have to drink to have fun. Anyone that gets popped for it says my tax dollars are finally working.

VanDeano
06-26-2007, 03:38 AM
drink and drive.
I agree:idea:

Not So Fast
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Do they have a meter that checks for "STUPID and NOT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE A BOAT??? I agree about being drunk and all but, STUPIDITY is worse IMO. First off, on the river especially, RULES OF THE ROAD APPLY!!! Travel on the right!! How many times have you been on the river and here comes a boat, Seadoo whatever, and you are on the RIGHT side and the person is headed right for you and passes you to your right?? This is how headons occur because "mirroring" now happens, you go the wrong way to avoid a collision with the idiot because you run out of room and at the last minute the other driver does likewise:( RULES OF THE ROAD, apply them PLEASE and we will all be safer, thanks. NSF <<>> PS The idea to use the bridge pilings on the 40 for a ring aroung the rosie in a Seadoo is NOT SMART, happened yesterday to me:confused: :(

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-26-2007, 07:34 AM
The police are out of control. While there out playing on the water making money for the city some one's kid is buying drugs from some drug dealer that pry killed some one to steal drugs from. Not to mention the murderers running around, for instance the cops who kill there wife's.
:rolleyes:

HM
06-26-2007, 07:35 AM
:rolleyes:
I'll see your :rolleyes: , and raise you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Do they have a meter that checks for "STUPID and NOT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE A BOAT??? I agree about being drunk and all but, STUPIDITY is worse IMO. First off, on the river especially, RULES OF THE ROAD APPLY!!! Travel on the right!! How many times have you been on the river and here comes a boat, Seadoo whatever, and you are on the RIGHT side and the person is headed right for you and passes you to your right?? This is how headons occur because "mirroring" now happens, you go the wrong way to avoid a collision with the idiot because you run out of room and at the last minute the other driver does likewise:( RULES OF THE ROAD, apply them PLEASE and we will all be safer, thanks. NSF <<>> PS The idea to use the bridge pilings on the 40 for a ring aroung the rosie in a Seadoo is NOT SMART, happened yesterday to me:confused: :(
Happen to us too Just after the check point.. That guy we saw got pulled right over ..don't know if he was drunk or stuck on stupid.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I'll see your :rolleyes: , and raise you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
LMAO!!:D

Pheelin Phroggy
06-26-2007, 07:46 AM
All of you who REALLY believe drunk boating is okay... please post where you will be at for the weekend. I will make sure I am somewhere else with my family... I agree there are idiots also... but I can drastically reduce the risk of my family dying by avoiding your stupid asses.
U.S. Army Retired

Blown 472
06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Grammer can be your friend.

Mardonzi
06-26-2007, 07:52 AM
All of you who REALLY believe drunk boating is okay... please post where you will be at for the weekend. I will make sure I am somewhere else with my family... I agree there are idiots also... but I can drastically reduce the risk of my family dying by avoiding your stupid asses.
U.S. Army Retired
Ummm,,, Lake Powell??
No worries though,, you NEVER go there :D :D
No go clean your pool...

Ziggy
06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Smart cops......set up camp between two daytime hangouts(sandbar, moabi) and just wait................
I'm all for removing intoxicated boaters from the waterways....

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Well everyones got differing opinions on this..
I'm far more concerned about inexperience, and "stuck on stupid" as some put it, then people that have had cocktails and know what there doing.. Just my opinion.
RD

meaniam
06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I am too. But not at the expense of being pulled over and humiliated in front of my family simply because I happen to be driving a boat in a certain place. I really don't have much to worry about, I don't boat in Havasu and the day I can blow a .08 or higher drinking 4 light beers in 6 hours is the day I sell my boat.
im for the test and glad they are doing it. and if it is done in front of my kids when i do have them. it would hopefully show how easy it is to be cuaght if you are slipping. that alone would be a great example for kids to see. people getting hualed off and me blowing a 0.00. thatwould be the time i would discuss this drinking and driving with my kids. if you dont you will be missing a great oppertunity.
and besides if the cops are all busy doing this. then they wont have time to worry about the pasties. or lack of:D

Ziggy
06-26-2007, 09:34 AM
I am too. But not at the expense of being pulled over and humiliated in front of my family simply because I happen to be driving a boat in a certain place. I really don't have much to worry about, I don't boat in Havasu and the day I can blow a .08 or higher drinking 4 light beers in 6 hours is the day I sell my boat.
Yeah, it crosses pathes with my rights.......but I also stated "intoxicated" not nec. the guy who barely blows a .08 on a poorly calibrated machine, which many leaving the sandbar could easily puff out.
Its a fine line between doing a service to the public and harrassing them.

EmpirE231
06-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Following people, and just patroling is good enough to bust the people that would cause the accidents... a check point is just going to bust more of the people that are out with family and friends and had a couple cocktails.

3 daytona`s
06-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah, it crosses pathes with my rights.......but I also stated "intoxicated" not nec. the guy who barely blows a .08 on a poorly calibrated machine, which many leaving the sandbar could easily puff out.
Its a fine line between doing a service to the public and harrassing them.
The thing that really caught my attention in the opening statement here was 80-100 Law Enforcement WTF, was that a stretch or are they really spending this kind of money? I think a great time to rob a bank,all the Law is on the river clean getaway. Stop every boat real fun day on the water:idea:

ratso
06-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm more with RD and SWB on this...

ratso
06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't drink and drive...mainly because it doesn't take much to hit a .08, which I think is bullshit. If you're shitfaced at .08, you have no business drinking anyway...and I know quite a few that have no business drinking.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Just curious why some view drinking and driving a boat differently than drinking and driving a car. Isn't it about the same thing??

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Just curious why some view drinking and driving a boat differently than drinking and driving a car. Isn't it the same thing??
Depends on who you ask.. Some argue it's more difficult then driving a car, others would argue it's ridiculously easier (me being one of them).. Matter of opinion I suppose.
RD

ratso
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Just curious why some view drinking and driving a boat differently than drinking and driving a car. Isn't it the same thing??
No... there is a lot more to negotiate while driving a car... but you'll have two idiots on the lake with a mile between them and they'll find some way to run into each other!:D

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Depends on who you ask.. Some argue it's more difficult then driving a car, others would argue it's ridiculously easier (me being one of them).. Matter of opinion I suppose.
RD
Dave,
Isn't a person that is drinking and driving anything more likely to make an error in judgement?

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Dave,
Isn't a person that is drinking and driving anything more likely to make an error in judgement?
Isn't a person that gets up off the couch more likely to get hurt?
Isn't a person that doesn't wear a helmet every day more likely to get a head injury? I mean everybody trips and falls sooner or later?
Should it be a law that we have to wear shoes in the shower? A shitload of people die from slipping in the shower every year (alot more then you'd think)
when you start making laws to protect people from themselves, then your no longer living in the land of the free.. (and the home of the brave). WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILLITY, AND ACCOUNTIBILLITY. If you take that away then YOU ARE contributing to the errosion of our society as a whole..
RD

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
RD
Brilliant answer to a simple question.

dunaholic
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I still want to know how the can get a warrant to pull blood!!!!!!!!!!!

Kachina26
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Grammer can be your friend.Let's not forget spelling. Cut the guy some slack, it's a little tougher when one isn't just doing the copy and paste deal.

CarBizIndio
06-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Smart cops......set up camp between two daytime hangouts(sandbar, moabi) and just wait................
I'm all for removing intoxicated boaters from the waterways....
What's next mandatory bible studies at the launch ramp before getting in the water?

CarBizIndio
06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Just curious why some view drinking and driving a boat differently than drinking and driving a car. Isn't it about the same thing??
You are more likely to get in an accident driving a car then a boat because, there are more cars on the road vs boats in the water, it is easier to lose control in a car vs a boat, cars are driven at higher speeds on the roadways more often then boats on the water. Those are a few reasons why drinking and driving a boat is safer then in a car.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Isn't a person that doesn't wear a helmet every day more likely to get a head injury? I mean everybody trips and falls sooner or later?
Should it be a law that we have to wear shoes in the shower? A shitload of people die from slipping in the shower every year (alot more then you'd think)
when you start making laws to protect people from themselves, then your no longer living in the land of the free.. (and the home of the brave). WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILLITY, AND ACCOUNTIBILLITY. If you take that away then YOU ARE contributing to the errosion of our society as a whole..
RD
Dave,
DUI laws aren't designed to protect the person who is DUI. They are designed and are in place to protect others.

MayDaze
06-26-2007, 01:38 PM
The thing that really caught my attention in the opening statement here was 80-100 Law Enforcement WTF, was that a stretch or are they really spending this kind of money? I think a great time to rob a bank,all the Law is on the river clean getaway. Stop every boat real fun day on the water:idea:
I went through around 3pm and only saw 2 boats and about 6-10 sea doo cops in the water.....

THOR
06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I went through around 3pm and only saw 2 boats and about 6-10 sea doo cops in the water.....
Was this Saturday?

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Dave,
DUI laws aren't designed to protect the person who is DUI. They are designed and in place to protect others.
If that were true then the laws would factor in the people they are trying to protect. They don't.
If that were true, people wouldn't get DUI's for sleeping it off in their car. That's right, if the keys are even inside the car with you (not in the ignition) you get a DUI..
If that were true they wouldn't give DUI's to people on bicycles and skateboards now would they?
RD

Tom Brown
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
How does that number compare to the number of people who die from toothpick related injuries each year? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

SurfOnH20
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
How many people are you personally aware of (not hearsay) getting arrested while sleeping it off in their car ? If they are arrested its probably after hitting a parked car, or any other object.

shippingguy
06-26-2007, 01:52 PM
You are more likely to get in an accident driving a car then a boat because, there are more cars on the road vs boats in the water, it is easier to lose control in a car vs a boat, cars are driven at higher speeds on the roadways more often then boats on the water. Those are a few reasons why drinking and driving a boat is safer then in a car.
No matter how you look at it drinking and driving is not safe no matter what. Also, to your speed theory remember that speed on the water is ALOT different than speed on the asphalt and a car has brakes a boat does not. Also the % is a lot higher that more of the boats on the water have people drinking and driving them than the cars on the road you are going to come in contact with.

dunaholic
06-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Driving a boat and refuses to take a breathalyzer is probably cause. :rolleyes: Now you know why the only thing I've ever been convicted of is resisting. Focking bullshit.
I'll gladly pay the $3000 in fines for resisting. I like to enjoy a few frosty adult drinks while on the boat. I don't however get shitfaced and boat, but after only three beers your going to blow higher than a .08%. $3000 is a drop in the hat compared to fighting a OUI. Probably going to cost you $3000 even if you just plead guilty to the OUI.

Big Inch
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I knew someone that this happened to. He was asleep in his car in front of a house that he was partying at because he knew he was in no shape to drive.

ULTRA26 # 1
If that were true then the laws would factor in the people they are trying to protect. They don't.
If that were true, people wouldn't get DUI's for sleeping it off in their car. That's right, if the keys are even inside the car with you (not in the ignition) you get a DUI..
If that were true they wouldn't give DUI's to people on bicycles and skateboards now would they?
RD
Dave,
Obviously you have the right to your opinion just as I do. People are killed by drunk drivers every minute. It is a known fact that in most of these cases, people would not have died had it not been for the drunk driver. This suggests to me that DUI laws are in place to protect others, period. Your response suggests to me that you believe that you should be allowed to drive while intoxicated. Bad idea! A real bad idea.

jayd_jr
How many people are you personally aware of (not hearsay) getting arrested while sleeping it off in their car ? If they are arrested its probably after hitting a parked car, or any other object.
I know of three people who have had DUI's for sleepng in their cars.

shippingguy
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I knew someone that this happened to. He was asleep in his car in front of a house that he was partying at because he knew he was in no shape to drive.
If he was in the drivers seat then that is why. If he was in the passenger seat or backseat different story.

CarBizIndio
06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
My father got one sleeping in his car after a night of drinking back in the early 90s.

MayDaze
06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Was this Saturday?
Yes Saturday

bear down
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Driving a boat and refuses to take a breathalyzer is probably cause. :rolleyes: Now you know why the only thing I've ever been convicted of is resisting. Focking bullshit.
By having a drivers license you have approved LEO's to test you for BAC either by breathalizer or Blood test...When you signed the application for a drivers license it says it on the application.

Stoneman
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
If LE were serious about cutting down BUI's why don't they petition the legislation to change the laws so not to allow open container in the boat, just like a car? :confused:

Big Inch
06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
By having a drivers license you have approved LEO's to test you for BAC either by breathalizer or Blood test...When you signed the application for a drivers license it says it on the application.
I am not 100% sure but I believe in California that you agree to taking a test or will forfeit your license for a period of 1 year.
And come to think of it I know of a second person who got a DUI for sleeping in a car. Granted she was sleeping(passed out) at a stop light with the car running:devil:

bear down
06-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Number one, neither one of my resistings were alcohol related. Number two, oddly enough, the other, more serious charges were ultimately dropped (not dropped down, dropped completely) and I was only charged with resisting. Number three, you don't need a driver's license to operate a boat. Keep them coming, I could play this all day.
I have also been told that's not part of the AZ driver's license, but I couldn't say for sure, I haven't had a valid AZ driver's license in 25 years.
Interesting....hmmm...I guess if you get pulled over and don't have a drivers license this would be true...but if you do have one (at lease from California) you allow the test to be administered regardless if you are required to have a license or not to drive a boat. But I am sure there is a requirement somewhere that requires everyone to have at least an state I.D. and I am sure that state ID requires you take either test...DUI on a bicycle..But if you don't have an ID the worst they could do is give you a ticket for not having an ID. Would love to see what the laws really are

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Bottom line is responsibility and accountability.
Drive your boats and cars responsibly. It is against the law to operate your boat and/or car while intoxicated. If you choose to ignore the law, then you will be held accountable, end of story.

Big Inch
06-26-2007, 02:29 PM
That might indicate at least some driving was involved. :D
Not that she recalled :D :D :D

desertbird
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
We saw LE start doing this last year, and as much as I agree with getting drunks off the water, it does put an unnecessary burden on the rest of us if indeed they are now pulling over nearly 100% of the boats? I can't imagine that being feasible.
What I did notice was about 3-5 boats with blue lights doing what they do best and looking for the obvious. The wife and I were at a modest cruise, and backed it off a bit when we saw the commotion upriver. As we continued to slow, some jackass blows right by me and into the "spider web" I think to myself how grateful I should be for this ass to "chum the water" because even if LE were looking at me (sober btw) they surely wouldn't pass up pulling this guy over...:sqeyes:
they did, and we kept on keepin on! :D

3:30dirty
06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
After reading this thread I thought I would shed some light..
1. It doesnt matter what state you have a license in, when you sign your name on it you are giving implied consent. All states are on a national data base now when it comes too drivers licenses.
2. As for a warrant too draw blood- In arizona there are multiple judges on call 24 hours a day who will issue a warrant within a couple hours of your arrest. Therefore never refuse too do the blood draw. You will get it anyway and then be seriously screwed for refusing the blood draw. This includes Lake Havasu.
3. You by law can refuse the FST.
4. If you have an Az license the OUI will go on your driving record as an 8 point violation. As for CA, I dont think this is the case.
5. Arizona is a ZERO TOLERANCE state. Now I guess it depends where on the lake they write you, and who writes you. You can blow a .o1 in Az and get a Dui.
6. Dui in Az- jail 1-10 days depending on what you blow, 16-54 hours of alcohol couseling, MADD class, Traffic survival school, fines of about 4800 dollars minimum, 8 points on your record, innerlock device for 1 year if you blow over .15. As of labor day 07, first offense is 30 days in jail with out work release as well as classes and innerlock for 1 year...this goes in to effect friday of labor day weekend.
7. :devil:

3:30dirty
06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
In Arizona:
.01-.08 impaired to the slightest degree
.08-.15 DUI
.15-up Extreme Dui
Any one of these with a child in the car or boat..is a Felony charge.

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Let's see here. So many people have questions.
I'll start with "Implied Consent". As was stated, when you apply for a driver's license, you agree that Police can test you for alcohol if you are arrested for suspicion for DUI. But what about boats, where no license is necessary and none has been applied for?
There are laws that you give your consent to be tested of arrested for suspicion of OUI, or are unconscious and not able to give consent. In AZ that law states:
5-395.03. Test for alcohol concentration or drug content; refusal; civil penalty
A. Any person who operates a motorized watercraft that is underway within this state shall submit, subject to section 4-244, paragraph 34, section 5-395 or section 5-396, to a test or tests of the person's blood, breath, urine or other bodily substance for the purpose of determining alcohol concentration or drug content if the person is arrested for any offense arising out of acts alleged to have been committed in violation of this chapter or section 4-244, paragraph 34 while the person was operating or in actual physical control of a motorized watercraft that was underway while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. The test or tests chosen by the law enforcement agency shall be administered at the direction of a law enforcement officer having reasonable grounds to believe the person to have been operating or in actual physical control of a motorized watercraft that is underway within this state while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, or if the person is under twenty-one years of age, with spirituous liquor in the person's body.
Now. About Search Warrants to take blood.
Operating a watercraft under the influence of alcohol is a crime. In order to prosecute crimes, Police need evidence. In the case of OUI (or DUI) part of the evidence is the quantity of alcohol contained in the arrested person's blood. If the arrested person does not voluntarily provide us with a sample, then we apply for a warrant from the court. We have to swear out an affidavit to the judge, outlining the probable cause that we have to believe that a crime was committed, that the person in custody committed the crime, and that the person has evidence that would assist in the prosecution of said crime. If we satisfy those requirements to the judge, he (or she) will issue a warrant for us to take blood.
Now I seriously doubt that there were around 100 police around for this thing. We could barely round up 100 boating officers in the entire state, including San Bernardino Sheriff, much less get them all in one place. 20-25 maybe. But 100? No way.
And the reasons for these checkpoints are NOT to arrest drunk boaters. They're to discourage people from drinking and driving in the first place. If people think they'll be caught, they'll be less likely to drink and drive. The most successful check-points are those where we find no drunk operators.
And to all those people whining about tax dollars and that we should be arresting drug dealers and murderers, realize that we (State and County Boating Enforcement Officers) are funded by Boat Registration Fees, and not one dime of tax dollars are spent. The same way that Narcotics Officers go after drug dealers, Motorcycle Cops work traffic, School Resource Officers concentrate on juvenile crime and Homicide Detectives work murders, Boating Enforcement Officers patrol the Lakes and Rivers.
It's a specialized assignment with one main goal. To reduce the number and severity of boating accidents and casualties. That's what we're paid to do.
And the fact that boating requires no license or certification (at least in the Southwest) makes it that much more dangerous that driving a car. Add that there are no fixed lanes. No traffic signals. Little or incorrect knowledge of Rules of the Road. No brakes. No stop signs. Different controls than a car. Less experience than driving a car. Noise. Wind. Vibration. Motion. Heat. Glare. etc. All of that, alone affects a person's ability to react quickly and correctly when faced with a emergent situation.Add a few beers, and that ability is further reduced.
If someone requires a drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) just to be able to enjoy themselves, then probably getting stopped in a check-point is the least of their problems.

pixilatedpussy
06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I'll start with "Implied Consent". As was stated, when you apply for a driver's license, you agree that Police can test you for alcohol if you are arrested for suspicion for DUI. But what about boats, where no license is necessary and none has been applied for?
There are laws that you give your consent to be tested of arrested for suspicion of OUI, or are unconscious and not able to give consent. In AZ that law states:
Now. About Search Warrants to take blood.
Operating a watercraft under the influence of alcohol is a crime. In order to prosecute crimes, Police need evidence. In the case of OUI (or DUI) part of the evidence is the quantity of alcohol contained in the arrested person's blood. If the arrested person does not voluntarily provide us with a sample, then we apply for a warrant from the court. We have to swear out an affidavit to the judge, outlining the probable cause that we have to believe that a crime was committed, that the person in custody committed the crime, and that the person has evidence that would assist in the prosecution of said crime. If we satisfy those requirements to the judge, he (or she) will issue a warrant for us to take blood.
Now I seriously doubt that there were around 100 police around for this thing. We could barely round up 100 boating officers in the entire state, including San Bernardino Sheriff, much less get them all in one place. 20-25 maybe. But 100? No way.
And the reasons for these checkpoints are NOT to arrest drunk boaters. They're to discourage people from drinking and driving in the first place. If people think they'll be caught, they'll be less likely to drink and drive. The most successful check-points are those where we find no drunk operators.
And to all those people whining about tax dollars and that we should be arresting drug dealers and murderers, realize that we (State and County Boating Enforcement Officers) are funded by Boat Registration Fees, and not one dime of tax dollars are spent. The same way that Narcotics Officers go after drug dealers, Motorcycle Cops work traffic, School Resource Officers concentrate on juvenile crime and Homicide Detectives work murders, Boating Enforcement Officers patrol the Lakes and Rivers.
It's a specialized assignment with one main goal. To reduce the number and severity of boating accidents and casualties. That's what we're paid to do.
And the fact that boating requires no license or certification (at least in the Southwest) makes it that much more dangerous that driving a car. Add that there are no fixed lanes. No traffic signals. Little or incorrect knowledge of Rules of the Road. No brakes. No stop signs. Different controls than a car. Less experience than driving a car. Noise. Wind. Vibration. Motion. Heat. Glare. etc. All of that, alone affects a person's ability to react quickly and correctly when faced with a emergent situation.Add a few beers, and that ability is further reduced.
If someone requires a drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) just to be able to enjoy themselves, then probably getting stopped in a check-point is the least of their problems.
Well said!;)

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Very well put BC

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Dave,
Obviously you have the right to your opinion just as I do. People are killed by drunk drivers every minute. It is a known fact that in most of these cases, people would not have died had it not been for the drunk driver. This suggests to me that DUI laws are in place to protect others, period. Your response suggests to me that you believe that you should be allowed to drive while intoxicated. Bad idea! A real bad idea.
My response suggests that people should use common sense. One could say well common sense dictates don't drink and drive..
One could also say that common sense dictates not to go tear assing around if you've been drinking. :idea:
You keep comparing it to a car.. Can you idle a car home from the bar at 2 mph?
Common sense dictates that darwinism can, and will happen regardless of how many laws we try to make to prevent it. My common sense tells me that we were better off before when 2 or 3 beers didn't cost you 10 grand, and try to ruin your life. Especially given the fact that alcohol isn't even the #1 cause of boating accidents!
#1 cause of accidents in boats is inexperience.. Don't believe me? That's what the US Coast guard claims is the #1 cause of all boating related accidents.
Bottom line is responsibility and accountability.
Drive your boats and cars responsibly. It is against the law to operate your boat and/or car while intoxicated. If you choose to ignore the law, then you will be held accountable, end of story.
LOL... I love how your posts come off with such authority.
EVERYBODY STOP POSTING!!! Ultra 26 # 1 said END OF STORY!!!
Who do you think you are?
I'm sure you believe your in charge of something, and maybe your wife and kids don't know that you aren't.. But buddy I know, and I'm here to tell you, your less then a pimple on the ass of progress, and you ain't exactly talking to Ultra John over here, so lose the tone dipshit.
RD

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
After reading this thread I thought I would shed some light..
1. It doesnt matter what state you have a license in, when you sign your name on it you are giving implied consent. All states are on a national data base now when it comes too drivers licenses.
2. As for a warrant too draw blood- In arizona there are multiple judges on call 24 hours a day who will issue a warrant within a couple hours of your arrest. Therefore never refuse too do the blood draw. You will get it anyway and then be seriously screwed for refusing the blood draw. This includes Lake Havasu.
3. You by law can refuse the FST.
4. If you have an Az license the OUI will go on your driving record as an 8 point violation. As for CA, I dont think this is the case.
5. Arizona is a ZERO TOLERANCE state. Now I guess it depends where on the lake they write you, and who writes you. You can blow a .o1 in Az and get a Dui.
6. Dui in Az- jail 1-10 days depending on what you blow, 16-54 hours of alcohol couseling, MADD class, Traffic survival school, fines of about 4800 dollars minimum, 8 points on your record, innerlock device for 1 year if you blow over .15. As of labor day 07, first offense is 30 days in jail with out work release as well as classes and innerlock for 1 year...this goes in to effect friday of labor day weekend.
7. :devil:
1. The States must have compacts to share Driver's license Information. It's not automatic.
2. Correct. In Arizona Judges are on call for these and other purposes.
3. You can refuse, if you have the ability to. If you can't refuse, as in being unconscious, you, by law, have given consent. If you refuse on an OUI you'll be subject to a civil fine of around $3,500 with surcharges.
4. An OUI or refusing a breath test for an OUI in Arizona has no effect whatsoever on your Arizona License. If you refuse for a DUI (in a vehicle) you lose your license for a year. If you're .08% or above, you lose it for 90 days.
5. See below.
6. DUI in AZ. 10 days jail. 9 suspended if you attend alcohol screening. Same for OUI, but most courts will throw in a Boating Class on top of it. Extreme DUI/OUI, (+.15%) 30 days in jail, 20 suspended if you do the alcohol screening.
When the new DUI laws go into effect (90 days after the end of the legislature, which ended last week) Ignition interlock on your vehicle for 1 year for ANY DUI. Extreme DUI not eligible for jail sentence suspension. Must serve the entire 30 days (or 90 days if you have any prior DUI within 84 months) Does not apply to OUI.
In Arizona:
.01-.08 impaired to the slightest degree
.08-.15 DUI
.15-up Extreme Dui
Any one of these with a child in the car or boat..is a Felony charge.
More bad information.
If you are below .05% the law presumes you are NOT impaired, the same way that above .08% presumes you ARE impaired. .05% -.08% has no presumption either way, but can be found to be impaired with other evidence, such as driving pattern, performance of FSTs, demeanor, etc.
It is correct that with a child, 15 or younger, in the vehicle you can be charged with a felony if found DUI, but that doesn't apply to boats. (Yet)

Tom Brown
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
You're beautiful, Dave. :D

steve d
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
B.C.........Do these laws apply to "Illegals".............Steve
1. The States must have compacts to share Driver's license Information. It's not automatic.
3. You can refuse, if you have the ability to. If you can't refuse, as in being unconscious, you, by law, have given consent. If you refuse on an OUI you'll be subject to a civil fine of around $3,500 with surcharges.
4. An OUI or refusing a breath test for an OUI in Arizona has no effect whatsoever on your Arizona License. If you refuse for a DUI (in a vehicle) you lose your license for a year. If you're .08% or above, you lose it for 90 days.
5. See below.
6. DUI in AZ. 10 days jail. 9 suspended if you attend alcohol screening. Same for OUI, but most courts will throw in a Boating Class on top of it. Extreme DUI/OUI, (+.15%) 30 days in jail, 20 suspended if you do the alcohol screening.
When the new DUI laws go into effect (90 days after the end of the legislature, which ended last week) Ignition interlock on your vehicle for 1 year for ANY DUI. Extreme DUI not eligible for jail sentence suspension. Must serve the entire 30 days (or 90 days if you have any prior DUI within 84 months) Does not apply to OUI.
More bad information.
If you are below .05% the law presumes you are NOT impaired, the same way that above .08% presumes you ARE impaired. .05% -.08% has no presumption either way, but can be found to be impaired with other evidence, such as driving pattern, performance of FSTs, demeanor, etc.
It is correct that with a child, 15 or younger, in the vehicle you can be charged with a felony if found DUI, but that doesn't apply to boats. (Yet)

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
My response suggests that people should use common sense. One could say well common sense dictates don't drink and drive..
One could also say that common sense dictates not to go tear assing around if you've been drinking. :idea:
Common sense dictates that darwinism can, and will happen regardless of how many laws we try to make to prevent it. My common sense tells me that we were better off before when 2 or 3 beers didn't cost you 10 grand, and try to ruin your life. Especially given the fact that alcohol isn't even the #1 cause of boating accidents!
#1 cause of accidents in boats is inexperience.. Don't believe me? That's what the US Coast guard claims is the #1 cause of all boating related accidents.
I'm sure you believe your in charge of something, and maybe your wife and kids don't know that you aren't.. But buddy I know, and I'm here to tell you, your less then a pimple on the ass of progress, and you ain't exactly talking to Ultra John over here, so lose the tone dipshit.
RD
Take it easy there pal. I was unable to read your "coomon sense" intent from in between the lines.
I am in charge of me and I am someone who, for good reason, doesn't believe that intoxication and driving anything should be mixed. I'm sorry if I express this belief with to much authority.
I understand that a lack of experiance is the primary cause of boating accidents. Doesn't change the fact that intoxicated boat drivers, don't belong on the water. Common sense, isn't it?
Problem with common sense is that some folks don't have any, thus the reason for laws pertaining to drunk driving.

CarBizIndio
06-26-2007, 04:26 PM
RD
Well said.

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Dave,
It's true that nationwide and even statewide, inexperience is the leading cause of accidents. But on the Parker Strip and in La Paz County in nearly 100% of the fatal accidents, one or both parties involved were were above a .08% BAC at the time of the accident, or fled the scene so no testing could be conducted.
I can only recall 1 fatal accident where the person(s) involved weren't drunk in nearly 20 years.
However, in 2006, there almost as many fatal accidents where the person was legally drunk, (4 of 14) then there were total fatal accidents in 2005. (5)
Also in Arizona, there were a total of 553 OUI arrests statewide. Only 50 were from the organized checkpoints. An interesting note is that Lake Havasu Police led the State in OUI arrests, with over 125, all of them occurring in the London Bridge Channel.

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Take it easy there pal. I was unable to read your "coommon sense" intent in between the lines.
Don't make me give you my "Oh" face.. :D
I am in charge of me and I am someone who, for good reason, doesn't believe that intoxication and driving anything should be mixed. I'm sorry if I express this belief with to much authority.
You sure about that? Becuase the way laws are being created and enforced as of late it's very questionable if any of us are in charge of ourselves anymore? Travel a little bit, and you'll realize how much freedom we really have here in America..
I understand that a lack of experiance is the primary cause of boating accidents.
Then how come they don't give tickets for that?
Doesn't change the fact that intoxicated boat drivers, don't belong on the water. Common sense, isn't it?
even if one is safer then the other? Or perhaps not a cause of a problem to begin with? can you tell me switching the law from .10 to .08 really saves lives? If you can say yes to that, can you tell me the same for when they are about to switch it from .08 to .05 or .04?
Problem with common sense is that some folks don't have any, thus the reason for laws pertaining to drunk driving.
I'd agree.. Those people making these laws need to get some common sense. ;) :D
RD

Tom Brown
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Let me give you a hand with that, Ultra26 #1. :)
Dave, every time I come across a group of drunks in public, stupid shit happens. Every time. The ignorant focks think they are totally under control and they know that no stupid shit is happening but people quickly pull their kids away from the area and leave because of the imminent danger.
You sound just like one of those ignorant assholes, Dave. You sound like you know you're totally OK and everyone else is a moron as you jam the sticks into the dash and people jump to get away from the evisceration zone of the prop. Sukkas........
It could be that you're able to handle alcohol much better than the folks around here but what if, and I suggest you seriously consider this, ..... what if that's what you look like when you've had a few and you're having a good time?

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Dave,
It's true that nationwide and even statewide, inexperience is the leading cause of accidents.
But on the Parker Strip and in La Paz County in nearly 100% of the fatal accidents, one or both parties involved were were above a .08% BAC at the time of the accident, or fled the scene so no testing could be conducted.
I can only recall 1 fatal accident where the person(s) involved weren't drunk in nearly 20 years.
However, in 2006, there almost as many fatal accidents where the person was legally drunk, (4 of 14) then there were total fatal accidents in 2005. (5)
Also in Arizona, there were a total of 553 OUI arrests statewide. Only 50 were from the organized checkpoints. An interesting note is that Lake Havasu Police led the State in OUI arrests, with over 125, all of them occurring in the London Bridge Channel.
2 points here.. Lack of experience is in fact the # 1 Cause.. Not booze.. This brings up the point the stupid people were stupid from the get go, booze didn't make them that way.. (Albeit I'll admit it does make stupid people worse)
2nd.. You pointed out that 100% of the accidents are above .08.. How many of those same accidents were above .10? I'd bet 99.99% You said it yourself once.. There seems to be 2 types of boaters out there nowdayz.. Dead sober and totally wasted (1.5+ kinda guys)
So the few people like myself (and countless others on this board... come to think of it "few" is not the right term) that'd average a .05 - .08'ish maybe on a good day .10 BAC get screwed, when in reality lowering the limits does NOT help to solve any of the problems, becuase the people with experience in the .08'ish range aren't the ones doing stupid shiznit..
RD

3 daytona`s
06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
How does that number compare to the number of people who die from toothpick related injuries each year? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
While after eating sweet corn sitting around a bonfire last weekend the topic was hashed to death = Scary

Tom Brown
06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Those death sticks will take you down, 3d. In the future, I suggest you leave those globules of half chewed table scraps jammed in your crown range and leave that piece of apple skin alone that's been living between your molars for the last three days. It's not worth the risk.

RiverDave
06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
26 you should thank Brown for the Assist, but lets not go patting each other on the ass just yet..
Let me give you a hand with that, Ultra26 #1. :)
Dave, every time I come across a group of drunks in public, stupid shit happens.
Define Drunks Canatard.. People doing Beer Bongs, and shots? Or a guy having 2 or 3 beers watching the game? You see your entire argument (this post) is based off the fact that "impaired" is "drunk" when in reality, .08 you could hardly be called drunk..
Every time. The ignorant focks think they are totally under control and they know that no stupid shit is happening but people quickly pull their kids away from the area and leave because of the imminent danger.
And everytime I'm in a bar getting near closing time I get my shit and go, becuase these people aren't "impaired" they are drunks and at some point there's gonna be problems..
You sound just like one of those ignorant assholes, Dave. You sound like you know you're totally OK and everyone else is a moron as you jam the sticks into the dash and people jump to get away from the evisceration zone of the prop. Sukkas........
I sound like one of those assholes? Damn Brown now my feelers are all hurt n shit. I might have to sig my mentally unstable attack dog on you, if only she didn't have to cross all those rail road tracks to get there..
Lets talk REALITY here Brown.. Do you think you'd see a crowd of people in front of your car and in instance 1 (sober).. Wait for them to pass, but in Instance two (.08 - .10) your going to mash the gas and run them all over? Do I need to even describe what that sounds like?
It could be that you're able to handle alcohol much better than the folks around here but what if, and I suggest you seriously consider this, .....
Brown at one or two beers I'd have a hard time believing I handle my liquor better then 99% of the people out there?
what if that's what you look like when you've had a few and you're having a good time?
Few being the key word there Brown.. I'm sure if I drank 2 road rapers and did a bunch of beer bongs it'd only be a matter of time before I would think it's the worlds greatest idea to nuke canada just to permanently put a lid on what's commonly known here in the states as "Hanson." :D But after a "few" well, he's no threat, just a little leprechaun in short short shorts..
RD

Tom Brown
06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd like to continue with this Dave, but the story has been ended. :(

havasurat27
06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
The checkpoint worked on Saturday for both the cops and us partying in Moabi. We had many friends that rolled up later than we did from Havi and saw the ez ups going up and we were able to get the word out to many hot boaters in Moabi with plenty of time to make certain that they were on their game before they left. So the cops got a safer river and we all had safer trips back to the lake. I try and keep my head on good but it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot to blow .01.

Pheelin Phroggy
06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Ummm,,, Lake Powell??
No worries though,, you NEVER go there :D :D
No go clean your pool...
Sheeyit... you could cruise Powell and not see another boat for days, sober or drunk.... and I NEVER go there is not true, its just that our pilot hasn't showed up in the plane to pick us up recently. And just to clarify, my WIFE cleans the pool, I mow the lawn. Hey... but the good news is that I have never had to be towed for running out of gas with a full tank.. beeotch hahahahaha
So... back to my theory on the subject, having a beer or two is not what I am talking about (as most of us at sometime in our life have had, including my dumbass)... but if your having a problem putting more than one syllable words together in a sentence, then getting behind the wheel is pure stupidity whether your in a boat.. a car.. a motorcycle.. moped... go cart... big wheel..

Tom Brown
06-26-2007, 04:50 PM
True, I did end the story. But, then by reposting afterwards, I reopened the story for discussion.
You're probably so drunk, you didn't know what you were doing.

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 04:55 PM
2 points here.. Lack of experience is in fact the # 1 Cause.. Not booze.. This brings up the point the stupid people were stupid from the get go, booze didn't make them that way.. (Albeit I'll admit it does make stupid people worse)
2nd.. You pointed out that 100% of the accidents are above .08.. How many of those same accidents were above .10? I'd bet 99.99% You said it yourself once.. There seems to be 2 types of boaters out there nowdayz.. Dead sober and totally wasted (1.5+ kinda guys)
So the few people like myself that'd average a .05 - .08'ish maybe on a good day .10 BAC get screwed, when in reality lowering the limits does NOT help to solve any of the problems, becuase the people with experience in the .08'ish range aren't the ones doing stupid shiznit..
RD
The guy who slammed his tubing buddies into the side of idling ski boat was ..072%. (He'd been boating for many years)
The guy that ran his PWC into the back of another boat last weekend and sent his girlfriend to the hospital with a broken leg was .078%. (also experienced)
I know I'll never convince you otherwise, but there are thousands of people that would still be walking the earth if they, their driver, or the other drivers hadn't been drinking.
I could give you 100 examples of accidents that the drivers were below .08%, and you would turn it that it was inexperience or "just an accident". Above .08% and it MAY have been the alcohol, but you still wouldn't be convinced. Where is the cut-off? Right now it's .08%.
We will have to agree to disagree, as I know your attitude won't change. At least not until you or one of your loved ones gets taken out by someone who was "only" .08%.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
26 you should thank Brown for the Assist, but lets not go patting each other on the ass just yet..
Define Drunks Canatard.. People doing Beer Bongs, and shots? Or a guy having 2 or 3 beers watching the game? You see your entire argument (this post) is based off the fact that "impaired" is "drunk" when in reality, .08 you could hardly be called drunk..
And everytime I'm in a bar getting near closing time I get my shit and go, becuase these people aren't "impaired" they are drunks and at some point there's gonna be problems..
I sound like one of those assholes? Damn Brown now my feelers are all hurt n shit. I might have to sig my mentally unstable attack dog on you, if only she didn't have to cross all those rail road tracks to get there..
Lets talk REALITY here Brown.. Do you think you'd see a crowd of people in front of your car and in instance 1 (sober).. Wait for them to pass, but in Instance two (.08 - .10) your going to mash the gas and run them all over? Do I need to even describe what that sounds like?
Brown at one or two beers I'd have a hard time believing I handle my liquor better then 99% of the people out there?
Few being the key word there Brown.. I'm sure if I drank 2 road rapers and did a bunch of beer bongs it'd only be a matter of time before I would think it's the worlds greatest idea to nuke canada just to permanently put a lid on what's commonly known here in the states as "Hanson." :D But after a "few" well, he's no threat, just a little leprechaun in short short shorts..
RD
Dave,
Some people can function decently at .08 and some can't. Obviously you believe that you are one of those who can.
So your point seems to be that you feel it's unfair for you not to be able to drive at .08, just because of those who can't function properly at .08. ??
A tough position to support.
Alan,
Very well put. When you lose or almost lose a loved one to a drunk driver, you view the entire issue differently.

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Out of curiosity, did both those drivers get charged with DUI or OUI due to the mitigating circumstances?
Yes they did. But mitigating means to lessen. I would say that the aggravating factors of being involved in an accident had a lot to do with the decision to charge. That and poor performance on FSTs.

squirt'nmyload
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Oddly enough, I don't drink at home. Probably because my boat's nowhere near me.
LMAO!!!:)

25dic
06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I understand the whole "Check Point" on the water thing and the LE being out in force to conduct such operations. But where are they the rest of the week when the unsupervised 12 year old kids are out riding the PWC up and down the same stretch of river, people pulling tubers and wake boarders in the same stretch of river? Isn't it just as important to remove the underage operators out making unsafe manuevers and causing boaters to have to take actions to avoid the underage operators as it is to remove the boaters under the influence. I saw more close calls from the underage operators than anyone who was tipping back a cold one. When the wake boarders are making huge wakes it causes havoc on the smaller boats in the area. I am not condoning drinking and driving on the water it is just frustating to see LE ignore the rest of the violations the other days of the week. You may now get back on your Soap Boxes.::D

squirt'nmyload
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I understand the whole "Check Point" on the water thing and the LE being out in force to conduct such operations. But where are they the rest of the week when the unsupervised 12 year old kids are out riding the PWC up and down the same stretch of river, people pulling tubers and wake boarders in the same stretch of river? Isn't it just as important to remove the underage operators out making unsafe manuevers and causing boaters to have to take actions to avoid the underage operators as it is to remove the boaters under the influence. I saw more close calls from the underage operators than anyone who was tipping back a cold one. When the wake boarders are making huge wakes it causes havoc on the smaller boats in the area. I am not condoning drinking and driving on the water it is just frustating to see LE ignore the rest of the violations the other days of the week. You may now get back on your Soap Boxes.::D
lake pleasant is like this too....the pwc's(and some boats) blatently disreguard the no wake zones all the time. see it every time i am there. maybe i should become a boat cop
:D

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Boating enforcement is statistic driven. There aren't enough of us to be out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We look at when and where the accidents take place, and deploy accordingly.
I'm lucky this year, since I have the resources to be able to put at least one boat on the water 7 days a week. It's a priority for me and my Department. How others work their schedules, I can't say.
In AZ (2006), there were 98 accidents on a Saturday. 58 on a Sunday. 28 on Friday. 25 on Monday. 19 on Tuesday, 17 on Thursday. and 16 on a Wednesday.
When you have limited resources, you can't waste them on a statistically low accident day, when they're better used on the days where boating activity and potential accidents are at their highest.

Not So Fast
06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Boating enforcement is statistic driven. There aren't enough of us to be out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We look at when and where the accidents take place, and deploy accordingly.
I'm lucky this year, since I have the resources to be able to put at least one boat on the water 7 days a week. It's a priority for me and my Department. How others work their schedules, I can't say.
In AZ (2006), there were 98 accidents on a Saturday. 58 on a Sunday. 28 on Friday. 25 on Monday. 19 on Tuesday, 17 on Thursday. and 16 on a Wednesday.
When you have limited resources, you can't waste them on a statistically low accident day, when they're better used on the days where boating activity and potential accidents are at their highest.
So let me see, if I wanna get plowed do it on Wed. Simple:D :D NSF PS j/k, lots of good info by a guy who obviously knows

25dic
06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
BC I strongly disagree with the way the LE is deployed, there should be LE out enforcing the laws everyday not just the days where the statistics say they can get the bigger bust. How do you tell the families of the kid who was run over by a underage operator or other unsafe acts, do you say "sorry the statistics show there are not as many idiots out on Wednesday as other days and we need to save our officers for DUI check point enforcement on Saturdays". Your deployment is severly flawed in the fact when the accident does occur during the low statistic days you always seem to have a boat and officers avilable to respond, which means they are on the clock and available. I do not mean this to be an assault on you personaly but on the general philosophy of the system.

ratso
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Practice your FSTs :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iqd1Re_Ply8

77charger
06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
That and poor performance on FSTs.
From watching that on wild on water thing on court tv. i dont think many people can do the ssimple stuff the cops make them do even if they are sober that finger count thingy as well as the turn the hand and count while speeding up.I know i cant do either without drinking,ABCs backwards really how many out of the blue know that one.
Hell when i got my oui in parker 5 years ago i failed the stand on one foot thing reason i swayed 1 inch and my foot wasnt up to the specified height cant remember the measurement but they dont tell you that when they give it to you just raise it to around here.
I try that sober and i still sway at least an inch

ratso
06-26-2007, 06:24 PM
From watching that on wild on water thing on court tv. i dont think many people can do the ssimple stuff the cops make them do even if they are sober that finger count thingy as well as the turn the hand and count while speeding up.I know i cant do either without drinking,ABCs backwards really how many out of the blue know that one.
Hell when i got my oui in parker 5 years ago i failed the stand on one foot thing reason i swayed 1 inch and my foot wasnt up to the specified height cant remember the measurement but they dont tell you that when they give it to you just raise it to around here.
I try that sober and i still sway at least an inch
The FSTs are not designed for you to pass...;)

77charger
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
[:)

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I can't speak for other jurisdictions. Only how I run my program.
When an incident happens on the water, and there isn't a Boating Officer actually on duty, a road Deputy responds, and if we're needed, we're called out from home. I've got a boating accident investigator on call every day. I presume that other agencies work pretty much the same way.
As I said before, I have the ability to have someone on the water 7 days a week. It may just be for their 10 hour shift, but they're out there.
As an example of deployments based on accident record, we have an inland Lake. Lake Alamo. In the nearly 20 years I've been with my Department I have NEVER had a boating accident occur on that Lake. Would it be prudent to go out and patrol that Lake, when the majority of accidents occur on the Parker Strip? Of course not. It would basically be a waste of time.
It also has nothing to do with getting a "big bust". I don't care if my team writes 1 ticket or 1,000. The only thing I'm concerned about is being visible (as a deterrent) and reducing the number of accidents.
About 10 years ago, we had a rash of late night hit and run accidents and collisions involving improper lights on Friday and Saturday nights. I think we had 11 or 12 in one season. We started patrolling till the wee hours of the morning and enforcing lighting regulations, and haven't had more than 1 or 2 since.
If we start having a bunch of drownings from boats, we'll hit hard on PFD requirements. If we get a bunch of boats exploding we'll concentrate on ventilation and fire extinguishers. Not just on the enforcement side, but also on Public Safety messages and education programs.
The Parker Strip's main problem has always been collisions. Most of them involving impaired boaters. So we concentrate on the reckless boaters and drunk boaters.
If we aren't seeing the accidents (which is our primary focus) on weekdays, then it's not a priority to have 2 or 3 boats out then, when one may suffice. The accidents happen on weekends, so we will be out in force then, when we can do some good, rather than just burning gas on a Wednesday afternoon.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Practice your FSTs :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iqd1Re_Ply8
Now that was some funny stuff :D :D

Glamasu
06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Oddly enough, I don't drink at home. Probably because my boat's nowhere near me.
Hell YEAH!!!!!:D :D

CarBizIndio
06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
And to all those people whining about tax dollars and that we should be arresting drug dealers and murderers, realize that we (State and County Boating Enforcement Officers) are funded by Boat Registration Fees, and not one dime of tax dollars are spent.
So if every one owning a boat in AZ transferred title to CA and continually registered it in CA for $15 a year there would be no funding for boating enforcement and we would never see the officers on the water in AZ?

Riverdog1
06-27-2007, 01:25 PM
5. See below.
More bad information.
Hey BC, I'm curious exactly what the penalty is for OUI in AZ. Nothing for your Driver's License? In CA you get a DUI on your license just like you were in a car.

ratso
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
So if every one owning a boat in AZ transferred title to CA and continually registered it in CA for $15 a year there would be no funding for boating enforcement and we would never see the officers on the water in AZ?
:jawdrop:
:D

BALLSDEEP
06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Believe me, this is one of those highly hypocritical debates that is frequent on ***boat. I sit at the sandbar almost every weekend and watch every single person there pound down beers and drive their boat. I'm not saying they're shitfaced drunk or anything, but for the great majority of people to say they don't drink and drive is ludicrous.
As an aside, four or five or us blew in a breathalyzer on Sunday morning before heading out. One guy was driving his boat that day. Everybody except me blew over a .1 from the night (early am) before. One guy, not driving a boat, blew a .17. So, if you go and get totally FUBARed the night before, stay up until 4-5AM, go out the next day a few hours later sucking down water and Gatorade, you might actually still be drunk, although technically, you're not drinking and boating. Same same to me.
Great points I would have to side with you and RD as well.
I would love to be a fly on the wall and see everyone who has responded to this thread and their true actions. There are a lot of people in here responding that they never do drink and drive, I call BS.

RiverDave
06-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Great points I would have to side with you and RD as well.
I would love to be a fly on the wall and see everyone who has responded to this thread and their true actions. There are a lot of people in here responding that they never do drink and drive, I call BS.
This subject has been beaten to death on here so many times I couldn't even count them all..
Years back after one of the OP6's this thread came up.. Ironically enough people that were saying things like "Good they should be off the water!!" We're the grossest offenders of drinking and driving. LOL Just when they get back to their offices in orange county they go back into Cali mode or something.
People like myself and others on here go for the "common sense" debate, yet I am somehow made out to be someone that supports drunk driving.. WTF? Go figure.
RD

BALLSDEEP
06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
This subject has been beaten to death on here so many times I couldn't even count them all..
Years back after one of the OP6's this thread came up.. Ironically enough people that were saying things like "Good they should be off the water!!" We're the grossest offenders of drinking and driving. LOL Just when they get back to their offices in orange county they go back into Cali mode or something.
People like myself and others on here go for the "common sense" debate, yet I am somehow made out to be someone that supports drunk driving.. WTF? Go figure.
RD
I agree, it has been beaten to death. I think you and others have some great points, I have my own views.
What’s the old saying… people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones? Kind of like the lady that started MADD but ended up being convicted of multiple DUI’s?

Second "PLACE"
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Spent the past weekend at Moabi and made a brief trip south on Saturday to what looked more like a cornfield than a sandbar. I was north of the bridge by noon and missed the checkpoint and the 1st Marine division of Deputies running the BUI Regatta.
Fact is that this will become a more frequent occurance. With an armada of river rookies rollin' 20 deep on a boat, saluting everyone they pass with Coor's Light high in the air like drunken Sailors, you can rest assured the SO has job security.
Solution: Don't drink while driving the boat.

Second "PLACE"
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Spent the past weekend at Moabi and made a brief trip south on Saturday to what looked more like a cornfield than a sandbar. I was north of the bridge by noon and missed the checkpoint and the 1st Marine division of Deputies running the BUI Regatta.
Fact is that this will become a more frequent occurance. With an armada of river rookies rollin' 20 deep on a boat, saluting everyone they pass with Coor's Light high in the air like drunken Sailors, you can rest assured the SO has job security.
Solution: Don't drink while driving the boat.

westair
06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
RD
Well said RD ........... end of story.:D

HM
06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
I love doing FST's and standing on my 3rd leg. Most cops bow down and scream they are not worthy. :D

RiverDave
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree, it has been beaten to death. I think you and others have some great points, I have my own views.
What’s the old saying… people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones? Kind of like the lady that started MADD but ended up being convicted of multiple DUI’s?
That ended up not being true.
Well said RD ........... end of story.:D
END OF STORY
RD :D

Boatcop
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Hey BC, I'm curious exactly what the penalty is for OUI in AZ. Nothing for your Driver's License? In CA you get a DUI on your license just like you were in a car.
OUI In Arizona:
1st Offense: Class 1 Misdemeanor
10 days jail. Jail may be suspended with completion of alcohol screening and Boating Safety Class. (most judges require at least 24 continuous hours in jail)
Fine: No less than $250.00 With statutory surcharges, usually runs around $2,000-$2,500.
2nd Offense: (within 5 years) Class 1 Misdemeanor
90 days in jail, 30 days must be consecutive, no work release, no time off for good behavior, 60 may be suspended with court ordered alcohol treatment & Boating Course.
Fine: Not less than $500, with surcharges = around $5,000
3rd+ Offense: (within 5 years) Class 4 Felony
Prison (Yes! The State Penitentiary): 4-8 months
Fine: Not less that $750 (Surcharges boost this to around $7,500)
Extreme OUI (above .15%) Class 1 Misdemeanor
Jail: 30 days 20 may be suspended for the same as the above
Fine: Not less than $250, with special assessments and surcharges = $4,000
Extreme OUI (with a prior OUI)
Jail: 120 days (60 days suspended as above)
Fine: Not less than $500, with special assessments and surcharges = $7,500
Does not affect an AZ Driver's License, but when reported to your home state (if not AZ), they will treat it the same as if the OUI offense occurred in that State, and will suspend or revoke your license, if their laws require it for offenses committed in the State.
Alcohol test refusal: Civil Violation. $750 fine, but with surcharges can be as much as $3,500.
Prior DUIs do not have any effect on OUIs. But OUI (or BUI) convictions from other states DO count as prior offenses.

Boatcop
06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the surcharges and special assessments that turn a $500 fine into $7500?
There are numerous "tags" they put on all court fines. Such as Court costs, Surcharges for the Az Criminal Justice Commission , prison construction surcharges, DPS safety equipment surcharges (how Boating offenses apply to DPS, which has nothing to do with boating is beyond me), Special Probation assessments, Crime Lab assessment, Prosecution Reimbursement, public defender fund, and a host of others.
Criminal fine surcharges are a pet program for State Legislators. It allows them to add funding to the State and County Criminal Justice Programs and Law Enforcement (State LE [DPS] only) so they can free up money for other projects, without raising taxes.
No one is ever going to disapprove of socking it to convicted criminals, so it's pretty much a wide open fundiing source.
I left out one more, that isn't part of the fines. In most cases you have to pay for your stay in jail for DUI and OUI sentences. Something like $55 dollars a day.

CBadDad
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens to your CA drivers license if you get an OUI in AZ?
I haven't gotten one, probably never will (knock on wood) since I strictly monitor my alcohol intake while driving anything these days.
BTW, .08 is higher than you might think. I had 8 Jack n Cokes over a four hour period plus dinner one night when I decided to drive home and found myself in line at a DUI checkpoint. Now I was buzzed for sure, but I didn't think I was too drunk to drive.
Long story short is that I blew a .042 and was on my way in less than five minutes. I thought I was going to jail and it would cost me $10k. If you're .08 you're most likely too drunk to drive.

ratso
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens to your CA drivers license if you get an OUI in AZ?
I haven't gotten one, probably never will (knock on wood) since I strictly monitor my alcohol intake while driving anything these days.
BTW, .08 is higher than you might think. I had 8 Jack n Cokes over a four hour period plus dinner one night when I decided to drive home and found myself in line at a DUI checkpoint. Now I was buzzed for sure, but I didn't think I was too drunk to drive.
Long story short is that I blew a .042 and was on my way in less than five minutes. I thought I was going to jail and it would cost me $10k. If you're .08 you're most likely too drunk to drive.
Your bartender really screwed you on drinks that night...;)

Riverdog1
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=RiverDave;2641442]2 points here.. Lack of experience is in fact the # 1 Cause.. Not booze.. This brings up the point the stupid people were stupid from the get go, booze didn't make them that way.. (Albeit I'll admit it does make stupid people worse)
So the few people like myself (and countless others on this board... come to think of it "few" is not the right term) that'd average a .05 - .08'ish maybe on a good day .10 BAC get screwed, when in reality lowering the limits does NOT help to solve any of the problems, becuase the people with experience in the .08'ish range aren't the ones doing stupid shiznit..
I would agree that most of the dumbasses dying and causing accidents are way over .1 and inexperienced. I like to have a few brews on the boat myself but I save the "totally wasted" part for after sundown. And I got over 20 years experience. Us that learned to boat in the old school days are a whole lot different than the people who bought boats recently who don't know the rules, both written and unwritten rules of the waterways. Courtesy seems to have left the lake.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Your bartender really screwed you on drinks that night...;)
Nah, I made the first two, probably closer to doubles. Then had a prime rib dinner at one of those dark smokey places were the drinks are stiff. It's just that I'm a big ol' cornbread eatin' puddin'. Remember, this is a percentage of your blood alcohol. Those of us with bigger pecentages get to drink more. :idea: