PDA

View Full Version : 20 Hr Service??

ultra26shadow
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
What is exactly involved in a 20hr service I have talked to numerous service techs and all have told me different things. But I also hear that the 20hr service is very important.

BDMar
06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
This is what we do..... Oil, filter, fuel filter, gear lube, remove the drive and check alignment, check all belts and hoses, power steering fluid, all bellows for proper attachment, check shift cable adjustment, motor mount nuts and lock tabs, etc. Basically we go over all the rigging to make sure nothing was missed or came loose and remove the oil and gear lube from breakin. We also do the sea water pump as many times that impeller has been in one position for a long time before it was installed in the boat and run.
I believe the 20 hour service is very important to long life and less failures in the future.

ultra26shadow
06-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the input I had one service company tell me exactly what you told me, and one other service company tell me all I will get and need in a 20hr service is the fuel and oil filter changed as well as the motor oil and top off the fluids.. thank god I went with the first company, but I will keep your company in mind for future service..

Boatcop
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
New engines and drives are shipped with "break-in" oil. The break in oil is different than recommended oil, as it's designed to assist the engine in settling into tolerences and ensure wear surfaces properly seat.
The first 20 hours is when most of the engine wear takes place. The 20 hour service cleans all the break-in residue out of the system, and puts in the recommended weight and types of oil.
If you don't clear that crap out, it will continue to try to "seat" all the wear parts, and will substantially shorten the engine life.
20 hours isn't a drop-dead threshhold, but the recommended interval for the first service. Any time between about 18-30 hours will suffice. But don't run hard out if you're near or past the 20 hour mark.

KLEPTOW
06-26-2007, 01:56 AM
This is what we do..... Oil, filter, fuel filter, gear lube, remove the drive and check alignment, check all belts and hoses, power steering fluid, all bellows for proper attachment, check shift cable adjustment, motor mount nuts and lock tabs, etc. Basically we go over all the rigging to make sure nothing was missed or came loose and remove the oil and gear lube from breakin. We also do the sea water pump as many times that impeller has been in one position for a long time before it was installed in the boat and run.
I believe the 20 hour service is very important to long life and less failures in the future.
If my drive needs alignment at 20 hrs shouldn't the boat MFG be doing this?

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 05:28 AM
If my drive needs alignment at 20 hrs shouldn't the boat MFG be doing this?
The alignment is checked.
Mercury ate a lot of warranty bills due to riggers setting up the engine and drive misaligned, and gimbel bearings, U joints, etc grenading. When I worked in a boat shop (92-94) I found about 1/2 the boats I did 20 HR services on had to be re-alligned.
It was pretty commom to find that, and also things like motor mount nuts/bolts loose. The 20 hour service catches things like this before any major damage occurs.

BDMar
06-26-2007, 07:24 AM
The alignment is checked.
Mercury ate a lot of warranty bills due to riggers setting up the engine and drive misaligned, and gimbel bearings, U joints, etc grenading. When I worked in a boat shop (92-94) I found about 1/2 the boats I did 20 HR services on had to be re-alligned.
It was pretty commom to find that, and also things like motor mount nuts/bolts loose. The 20 hour service catches things like this before any major damage occurs.
Checked and adjusted if needed. Boatcop is right, most riggers are going for the "get it done". Service shops like ours specialize in knowing all the problems that can occur, what causes them, and to prevent them. Just as any other mechanical purchase, they need to be checked out and serviced soon to prevent future problems.
Also, if the alignment is off from the MFG. do you really want the same guy fixing it?:D

Not So Fast
06-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Damn it, right again :D :D Listen to this man OK ?? NSF

CoolCruzinCobra
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
What's the average cost for a 20 hr service work ?
Just like to know cause I'm getting ready for service work.