PDA

View Full Version : Turbo City in Anaheim?

SFV2RVR
06-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Anybody have any good or bad experiences with them? I had 2 Rajay turbo's completely rebuilt (everything internal new) except for the housings, and have had nothing but problems. The 1st time I get them back from them, I go and install them on the boat, and I had them on the motor for 20 mins, and the bearing, shaft,seal, and everything in it seems like it falls apart. (smoke everywhere) burning oil. Im like WTF? So I send them back to gary at TURBO CITY, and he then sends them to turbonetics. Turbonetics "fixes" it and tells them it was a balancing problem with it. I get it back and put it on the motor again, and again I run it for like 20 mins on the trailer (boat backed into the water) and WTF do I see? oil coming from around the housing. Are you kidding me? I take the turbo back off, and call gary at TURBO CITY, he says it sound like its not getting oil. I say BS! I pulled the distributor out and ran a drill motor to it, pulled both oil lines off each turbo, and began to spin the drill. The oil comes out at the exact same time,and the same amount of oil from each side. So I know both sides are getting oil. I then take the turbo to turbonetics instead of sending it to gary at TURBO CITY, to see what they say. Come to find out that everything that was put in the turbo was not the same parts that turbonetics had put in when it was redone. just the "cartridge" they said was new, everything else had been changed by someone at TURBO CITY. When the turbo was at turbonetics the 2nd time, I called to check the status of the repair, and they told me they were waiting on some parts for it, so I call gary at TURBO CITY to see what he has to say, and he say "I have some good news for you" and I'm thinking, what good news could you possibly have, because turbonetics just told me they are waiting on parts. And he says I have your turbo right here in front of me. And I say thats impossible, cause turbonetics just told me they are waiting on parts. He says trust me, I just got it from them. I say ok, send it to me. As I'm on my way to the river, for the 2nd time now to install it, turbonetics calls me and says my parts will be in, about 2 weeks. WTF? So it sounds like this gary character at TURBO CITY, just tried to pull a fast one over on me and he's about to be Focked! What do you guys think? How would you guys handle the situation? Sorry for such a long post!

Pussywhippled
06-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Turbo City on Katella in Orange?
I remember hearing something about them having $$$ problems a couple years back, but don't know for sure...

HM
06-25-2007, 08:48 PM
They are just a mail order house these days. They were good back in the day.

SFV2RVR
06-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Turbo City on Katella in Orange?
I remember hearing something about them having $$$ problems a couple years back, but don't know for sure...
Ya! Thats them.:mad:

brad22
06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow that is s pretty good story. Obviously somebody is lying to you which makes the customer service look a little shady.
Only thing I can think is maybe that your Gary at TURBO CITY has a rebuilt turbo just like yours that will work just as good and he is willing to give it to you so he doesn't have to deal with your "bad" turbo again. He is just not telling the truth about it?? I assuming that they are not charging you for rebuilding that turbo after the first time so just get the one from Gary and see if it works. After you get the turbo let Gary know what Turbonetics said and that should put him on the spot. I think either way now, you are going to get a good turbo.
My .02, In reality it could be anything

SFV2RVR
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Wow that is s pretty good story. Obviously somebody is lying to you which makes the customer service look a little shady.
Only thing I can think is maybe that your Gary at TURBO CITY has a rebuilt turbo just like yours that will work just as good and he is willing to give it to you so he doesn't have to deal with your "bad" turbo again. He is just not telling the truth about it?? I assuming that they are not charging you for rebuilding that turbo after the first time so just get the one from Gary and see if it works. After you get the turbo let Gary know what Turbonetics said and that should put him on the spot. I think either way now, you are going to get a good turbo.
My .02, In reality it could be anything
Ya I will be getting 2 good turbo's, Because the money That gary was paid, will be canceled, and I will have 2 brand new turbonetics turbos!

SFV2RVR
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Not to mention, the 2nd time I got it back the housing had a crack at the flange where it mounts. And it was leaking oil from there too! It looked like he tried to weld it.

Havasu Carrera
06-25-2007, 09:08 PM
That was the last time I went there. All was good but that was a LOOOonnng time ago.

Ryphraph
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I got a "boost kit" for my 1985 Mirage there in '86 or '87...
I think the only thing that worked was the gauge.
Ryph

cougar27mtr
06-25-2007, 09:22 PM
When I was in highschool I did ROP there.. Learned basically nothing but how to sweep a floor.. But that was a long time ago....

brad22
06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Not to mention, the 2nd time I got it back the housing had a crack at the flange where it mounts. And it was leaking oil from there too! It looked like he tried to weld it.
My Dad just ran into the same problem recently "hairline fracture in the housing over a weld". Sending it out somewhere in Missouri to fixed professionally. Not sure what company though. Funny story is the turbo shop down the street that just recently rebuilt the turbos didnt even notice that it had a crack. What is it with some of these shops these days? If all you do is nothing but turbos you think you would notice simple shit like that and say something. Oh well, just another problem :D

Havasu Carrera
06-25-2007, 10:42 PM
When I was in highschool I did ROP there.. Learned basically nothing but how to sweep a floor.. But that was a long time ago....
OH damn! You were that little fat kid that swept all the dust inside my super cool 61 vw baja ragtop!! I thought that crap all came from my torn up headliner.

OCMerrill
06-26-2007, 07:39 AM
I had a '92 checy 1/2 short bed that was all show. I purchased many TBI boltons from TC. Bored Throttle body, matched injectors, Chip, yada, yada.
The customer service was fine but all that stuff was snake oil.
They used to sell dyno time (roller dyno) and I tried many times to get my truck dynoed and they just put me off. Wonder why?:confused: :)

Baja Big Dog
06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Been there a couple of times, they act shady..dont like to answer questions if it appears your not going to buy something from them.