PDA

View Full Version : sealing the pump?

bead
06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
so this is the second time in week ive had to reseal the bowl around the transome adaptor. im guessing the silicon is bad .both times it had air bubbles in it . i cleaned it real good and it still seams to leak . never had this problem before, although i tried something different this time. it was an under water silicon . i think i used 3M marine about 2 years ago and never had a problem ,but i couldnt seem to find it in clear this time so i used some off brand . anyone ever had this many problems before?

bead
06-25-2007, 10:03 PM
so this is the second time in week ive had to reseal the bowl around the transome adaptor. im guessing the silicon is bad both times it had air bubbles in it . i cleaned it real good and it still seams to leak . never had this problem before, although i tried something different this time. it was an under water silicon . i think i used 3M marine about 2 years ago and never had a problem ,but i couldnt seem to find it in clear this time so i used some off brand . anyone ever had this many problems before? i think the product was SUNDBURY. any thoughts on where i can get the 3M marine (clear) in Simi or the valley area?

Heatseeker
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
I've been using GE Silicone II Window and Door Sealant for the past few years. You apply it with a caulking gun. I buy it at Orchard Supply. Works great.

bead
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I've been using GE Silicone II Window and Door Sealant for the past few years. You apply it with a caulking gun. I buy it at Orchard Supply. Works great.i was told any RTV silicon will work and that "below waterline " silicon is jus BS . and its just the companys so they can get more $ at of ya . dont know if its true or not. ill try again :)

Jet Hydro
06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
I use BLACK RTV silicon as the clear always looks dirty after a while in the water. Never had a problem on any boats I`v used it on.
you dont need any "below waterline" crap thats "BS"

bead
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
im thinking the silicon was jus bad . ive never seen air bubbles like that in any silicon.

tahitijet
06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I've been using GE Silicone II Window and Door Sealant for the past few years. You apply it with a caulking gun. I buy it at Orchard Supply. Works great.
i use the same thing to seal my entire pump (set back) no issues in almost 3 years.

Jetaholic
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I was told by someone that all marine silicone is is just 100% silicone. GE Silicone I or II works just fine. The only difference between the two is one of them has mildewcide in it (can't remember which one does though).

shaun
06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I asked jack at MPD what i should use when i was up there picking up my bowl and having him put the bushings in.... Thats what he recommended.

earlbrown
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
The only difference between the two is one of them has mildewcide in it (can't remember which one does though).
I think that's the one that's rated for bathrooms.