PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Electricians 3 phase rotary converter

shockwaveharry
06-26-2007, 03:17 AM
Looking for something around 30hp/80amp but could use something as small as half that capacity.
Need to get one right away but thought I'd try here first before I bought a new one.
714-928-0489

wsuwrhr
06-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Looking for something around 30hp/80amp but could use something as small as half that capacity.
Need to get one right away but thought I'd try here first before I bought a new one.
714-928-0489
I don't think that size is available, I have a 40HP 50 amp. 80 amp is pretty large. They jump up in price pretty fast.
I got mine from Temco, cool place to deal with and service after the sale has been excellent, I had some issues initially, and they exceeded my expectations.
Temco phase converters (http://www.phaseconverter.com)
Brian

Baja Big Dog
06-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Harry,
Check with Reliable tool in Irwindale, (626 472 7377) I believe they sell converters, not sure if they are solid state or rotary.
30 HP? thats a ton of power required for your input, your gonna be looking at close to 200 amps at 208/230!!! Holy crap, hopefully you have 460 available, but thats hard to come by in single phase.
Stick to the rotary for the cine wave, solid states dont have the line quality as true "generated" power.

shockwaveharry
06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I'll be running 2 machines that normally draw around 15 amps but are capable of 40 (I've never seen 'em pull that though) and a compressor. I don't have to run the machines at the same time but the compressor will kick on every once in a while.
Temco's charts jump around a bit (the 30hp unit is 21kw on one chart and 29kw on another) so I just threw those numbers out there as an approximation. I'll probably have to stick with a 20hp unit cuz My service is 200amps and Be certain to run only one machine at a time. Trying to balance the voltage protection on the machines and blowing the breaker.
I'll have to turn the jacuzzi off to, I guess... :(

Baja Big Dog
06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
I'll be running 2 machines that normally draw around 15 amps but are capable of 40 (I've never seen 'em pull that though) and a compressor. I don't have to run the machines at the same time but the compressor will kick on every once in a while.
Temco's charts jump around a bit (the 30hp unit is 21kw on one chart and 29kw on another) so I just threw those numbers out there as an approximation. I'll probably have to stick with a 20hp unit cuz My service is 200amps and Be certain to run only one machine at a time. Trying to balance the voltage protection on the machines and blowing the breaker.
I'll have to turn the jacuzzi off to, I guess... :(
If the machines have inverters for speed control you wont have a problem with start amps, the inrush will be low with the inverters. The compressor is a variable torque load and the inrush will also be lower than the (4.5 time running amps!! But the converter should be rated for inrush on start ups....either way that's a whole lot of amps, Edison is gonna love you!!!

superdave013
06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Harry,
Check with Reliable tool in Irwindale, (626 472 7377) I believe they sell converters, not sure if they are solid state or rotary.
30 HP? thats a ton of power required for your input, your gonna be looking at close to 200 amps at 208/230!!! Holy crap, hopefully you have 460 available, but thats hard to come by in single phase.
Stick to the rotary for the cine wave, solid states dont have the line quality as true "generated" power.
Reliable is the e bay monster. Everything they list starts off at .99.
Sure rotary is the best but if these are manual machines statics do get it done. I know they say you loose power but my lathe and mill both worked real well on statics. The cost difference was pretty big so I went cheep hooker style. lol
Heck, now you can get AC drives that will take single phase in and put 3 phase out.

rrrr
06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
You can get a better idea of your needs by estimating kW rather than HP. Add the nameplate FLA (full load amps) of the two machines together and multiply X .60, that should be adequate. If you need to do occasional heavy operations, just don't run both jobs at the same time.
Anyway, FLA X volts X .8 power factor = kW.
Do the same calc for the compressor motor and you should have a good idea of what size to get.
Using a clamp on ammeter to measure actual current instead of the above would be more accurate.....set up the tool and run a typical job, measure the current and multiply times volts for kW.