PDA

View Full Version : Focking fuel pumps

adjones419
06-26-2007, 04:56 AM
So the fuel pump went out last night in my 2000 Chevy pickup. 3rd one in 3 years. I have a friend who has put 5 in his '99 Chevy. Anyone else have trouble with GM fuel pumps?

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 05:23 AM
So the fuel pump went out last night in my 2000 Chevy pickup. 3rd one in 3 years. I have a friend who has put 5 in his '99 Chevy. Anyone else have trouble with GM fuel pumps?
i do alot of them, most cuase the customer isn't keeping clean filters on the trucks. ya gotta change em every 20k or suffer the repeat fuel pump failure.
there's also a updated fuel pump kit that comes with a new connector harness, alot of the trucks out there with repeat pump failure are just losing connection at the pump connector due to loose terminals.take a straight pin or safety pin and tighten up the terminals;)

GRUNION
06-26-2007, 05:24 AM
I have also replaced many fuel pumps on mine and the whole harness.:mad: To make them last longer dont let the fuel level in your tank get below 1/4. The fuel is what gm uses to cool the pump, when the tank is empty the pump gets hot. I know this is shitty but it is all you can do unless you put an external pump on the truck.
And for all you ford guys that tell him to go buy a ford read how many problems they have, way more that a chevy of the same yrs.

502 JET
06-26-2007, 05:30 AM
Its not only the GMs.
We have GMs, Fords, & Chryslers where I work. We heve an equal fuel pump failure rate between them all.

steve d
06-26-2007, 05:34 AM
I have also replaced many fuel pumps on mine and the whole harness.:mad: To make them last longer dont let the fuel level in your tank get below 1/4. The fuel is what gm uses to cool the pump, when the tank is empty the pump gets hot. I know this is shitty but it is all you can do unless you put an external pump on the truck.
And for all you ford guys that tell him to go buy a ford read how many problems they have, way more that a chevy of the same yrs.
Any info on the external pump.....Thanks.......steve

adjones419
06-26-2007, 05:43 AM
I knew they put the pump in the tank to keep it cool...usually I don't run around with an empy tank. The first time the first pump started acting up, I immediately thought the filter was clogged. Have been changing the filter every year, and the pumps still go bad.
The inconvenience is what bothers me the most. I don't mind dropping the tank and fixing it...it's just the fact that this time it happened 120 miles from home and I'm going to have to take a day off of work to haul it home and fix it. When we put the 3rd one on, I joked about just sticking a Holley blue on the truck!

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 05:46 AM
I have a totally diff problem with mine. If it is really hot out. Like now in Havasu. The fuel runs back into the tank and it takes 3-4 times to get it to start. Pump still turns on right away. But there is no fuel pressure at the injectors. Chevy told me I have to replace the pump, because the check valve is in the fuel pump.
When you shut the truck off you can hear it at the tank. It sounds like a flat tire.

adjones419
06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Sometimes mine takes a few times to get started. The mass air flow sensor was bad, so I replaced that and it runs great...but sometimes it still takes 2 or 3 times to get it started. The pump is pretty loud, so I can always hear it running.

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 06:12 AM
I have a totally diff problem with mine. If it is really hot out. Like now in Havasu. The fuel runs back into the tank and it takes 3-4 times to get it to start. Pump still turns on right away. But there is no fuel pressure at the injectors. Chevy told me I have to replace the pump, because the check valve is in the fuel pump.
When you shut the truck off you can hear it at the tank. It sounds like a flat tire.
pull the vaccum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and turn your ignition key on, watch for fuel shooting out the vaccuum port of the regulator.if it shoots out fuel, the regulator will need to be changed. this condition will make it hard to start when hot.

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Sometimes mine takes a few times to get started. The mass air flow sensor was bad, so I replaced that and it runs great...but sometimes it still takes 2 or 3 times to get it started. The pump is pretty loud, so I can always hear it running.
check the fuel pressure regulator on yours too, i bet its leaking fuel into the vaccuum line, sending it into the intake and flooding the motor everytime you kill it;)

BajaMike
06-26-2007, 06:25 AM
My previous Chevy truck had 258,000 miles when I sold it. I replaced the fuel pump in the tank at about 220,000 miles....not to bad in my mind.....:idea:
By the way, I had to replace the transmisssion at about 150,000 miles and the engine was completely original and ran like brand new, never used or burned a drop of oil and I never had to do any engine repairs at all. The guy who has it now says at 300,000 miles it still runs like new.
Pretty reliable trucks if you ask me.....:D

a catered life
06-26-2007, 06:26 AM
we have replaced ours once in 5 years on the van and truck quess we have had some good luck:idea:

Havasu Hangin'
06-26-2007, 06:44 AM
I went through three fuel pumps in the first year I owned my truck. They finally ended up putting an "alternative' fuel pump in (one that was designed for third world countries).
Apparently, the high sulpher content in the gas I was buying was killing them.

Baja Big Dog
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Hard starting could be a result of a crack in the pickup line to the pump ion the tank, causing air in the line, the pressure will come up when you turn on the key and not enough fuel to the rail will cause hard starting.
The pump normally wont "overheat" when the tank is low, the system is designed to pump the return fuel to the bottom of the pick up for the "new" fuel.
We do Jeep LT1/LS1 conversions and I prefer to use external pumps, just because it such a pain in the ass to drop the tank, I sometimes run a fual dual pump system I designed for Jeepspeed race cars, that uses a back up pump if required. The noise level is a little higher than the internal, but its easier.

adjones419
06-26-2007, 07:28 AM
So does GM make a replacement external pump that I could switch to or are they aftermarket? This dropping the tank every year is getting old fast!

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Hard starting could be a result of a crack in the pickup line to the pump ion the tank, causing air in the line, the pressure will come up when you turn on the key and not enough fuel to the rail will cause hard starting.
The pump normally wont "overheat" when the tank is low, the system is designed to pump the return fuel to the bottom of the pick up for the "new" fuel.
We do Jeep LT1/LS1 conversions and I prefer to use external pumps, just because it such a pain in the ass to drop the tank, I sometimes run a fual dual pump system I designed for Jeepspeed race cars, that uses a back up pump if required. The noise level is a little higher than the internal, but its easier.
the chebby truck's don't have a pickup tube. the fuel pump module is its own baffle and the pump sets in the bottom where it picks up its own fuel.the vehicles with flexfuel motors and fuel pumps do have a prestrainer on the bottom of the fuel pump module that will clog though, jus gotta change the bottom strainer to fix that.
no such thing as a external fuel pump for a 00-07 gm truck.i'm a gm dealership shop foreman and master tech, i would have seen 1 or done 1 by now:rolleyes:

RaceFace
06-26-2007, 07:54 AM
I havent had to change one yet in 2 different GM trucks but I know several people who have had to. Several different dealerships told them they should change their fuel filters about every 10k miles. I never have....I go about 25k on it.

Baja Big Dog
06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
the chebby truck's don't have a pickup tube. the fuel pump module is its own baffle and the pump sets in the bottom where it picks up its own fuel.the vehicles with flexfuel motors and fuel pumps do have a prestrainer on the bottom of the fuel pump module that will clog though, jus gotta change the bottom strainer to fix that.
Although the pump is at the bottom of the sender/pump mount the they have a hose that goes from the pump to the outlet tube. (we use camero pumps/pickups.) We have to weld the pump to the bottom of the pick up on the Jeep tank, and the hose that goes from the pump to the outlet is the one that leaks. The strainer is another problem, when it gets clogged.
no such thing as a external fuel pump for a 00-07 gm truck.i'm a gm dealership shop foreman and master tech, i would have seen 1 or done 1 by now:rolleyes: We use Aeromotive or MSD external high pressure pumps, and mount them on the frame by the tank with an external pressure regulator. This is not a GM fix, which is good because they would screw that up if they attempted it!!

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
We use Aeromotive or MSD external high pressure pumps, and mount them on the frame by the tank with an external pressure regulator. This is not a GM fix, which is good because they would screw that up if they attempted it!!
so your saying you drop the tank, remove the pump, stick in a pipe, jimmy rig a strainer set-up , then put the tank back in, mount and wire up a high pressure external pump, then wire it?
yeah that sounds easier than just changing the pump:rolleyes:lol:D

laveycrafter
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
I too had a lot of problems in my 98 yukon, and the pump sure "whined a lot", I finally put an addition fuel filter in before the threaded one under the frame, it worked fine til I sold it.
But the fuel pump in my TOYOTA works fine, wait......Everything on my TOYOTA works fine.:D

laveycrafter
06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
So does GM make a replacement external pump that I could switch to or are they aftermarket? This dropping the tank every year is getting old fast!
Just cut a hole in the floor board in the back! That'll solve it.:D

adjones419
06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Mine whines too...but they've all sounded like that so I guess they're just loud.

laveycrafter
06-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Mine whines too...but they've all sounded like that so I guess they're just loud.
Maybe thats the way a GM product says " PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSEEEEEEEEE PUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OUT OF MY MISEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYY":D :D :D

adjones419
06-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Maybe thats the way a GM product says " PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSEEEEEEEEE PUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OUT OF MY MISEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYY":D :D :D
Hey, at least it speaks English. Hard telling what your Toyota is saying! :) :D

laveycrafter
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Reeeeeeeeeeeee Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Bbbbbbb Lllllllllll Eeeeeeeeeee

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Reeeeeeeeeeeee Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Bbbbbbb Lllllllllll Eeeeeeeeeee
lmao, man's got a point:D hey, i work for gm, not sayin i like all their products;)

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:19 AM
pull the vaccum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and turn your ignition key on, watch for fuel shooting out the vaccuum port of the regulator.if it shoots out fuel, the regulator will need to be changed. this condition will make it hard to start when hot.
If you let it sit for more then 10 min, there is no fuel. I have checked that too, and there is no fuel. You can hear the pressure going back into the tank. Chevy told me the check valve in the fuel pump was bad and I needed a new fuel pump, you cannot just replace the check valve.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
If you let it sit for more then 10 min, there is no fuel. I have checked that too, and there is no fuel. You can hear the pressure going back into the tank. Chevy told me the check valve in the fuel pump was bad and I needed a new fuel pump, you cannot just replace the check valve.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM

Baja Big Dog
06-26-2007, 11:24 AM
so your saying you drop the tank, remove the pump, stick in a pipe, jimmy rig a strainer set-up , then put the tank back in, mount and wire up a high pressure external pump, then wire it?
yeah that sounds easier than just changing the pump:rolleyes:lol:D
Allrighty then...Take notes, there will be a test at the end of this post.
First, yes I drop the tank, we normally swap the tank out for a 25 gallon one, so dropping the tank is mandatory.
Jimmy rig? the tank has a pick up in it already, so I dont understand the Jimmy rig issue.
Wiring up the pump?, well I guess you got me there, yes I do hook up the two #16 wires up the the screw on posts. Time consuming, but an easy way to supply voltage to the pump!
yes the pump is now external and if it fails, (not a common problem with aftermarket pumps) it is very easy to replace.
Complicated? Well lets see, we have just removed the stock 6 cylinder engine, replaced it with a LT1 OR LS1 made crossmembers etc, no I don't think is is that complicated.

adjones419
06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Just got the fuel pump and filter changed. Decided to just take the bed off instead of dropping the tank, right in the Kroger parking lot.

Baja Big Dog
06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
My fuel filter just locked up on me this morning. I was able to bang the tank and free it up but I'm going to replace it when I get home (hopefully I'll be able to get home). I was wondering though..... since the filter can be such a problem with these trucks (yes mine is a GM also) what about putting 2 fuel filters in parallel? I couldn't imagine it being too hard. just need to get some rigid fuel line and a couple of flare fittings with a tubing cutting and a flaring tool. What's your guys' opinion on this possibility?
Doesn't make sense, if you banged on the tank then the strainer attached to the bottom of the pump may have been clogged (doubtful depending on mileage and driving conditions) not the fuel pump on the frame rail (don't know if Chevy have a filter on the frame rail?
2 filters..dont waste your time or money, just change the one you have!!

adjones419
06-27-2007, 01:20 PM
My fuel filter is on the frame rail right under the driver's side door. I'd think 2 filters would just be twice the trouble.