PDA

View Full Version : Just for old guys

Thunderbutt
04-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Do you remember when the Parker Enduro was called the Parker 9 hour, and it was a race for 9 hours, No eggbeaters and it was before that fireman invented the jjjeeetttdrive. V- Drives and a few K-T boats.(Jim Wilks). And Pat Paterson showed up with Super Cinders and the man said no way, no allisons or merlins allowed. And it originated at Lake Elsinore, a lake that had such shallow water that Lou Brumitt hit bottom. If there are any of you old farts still there, help me out with this subject.

spectras only
04-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Jim, you have to ask Mondello to chime in .He did the 9 hour enduro with an 18 spectra.

Thunderbutt
04-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Attla I know, but I'm talking about way before him. Originally posted by spectras only:
Jim, you have to ask Mondello to chime in .He did the 9 hour enduro with an 18 spectra.

V-Drive Tom
04-16-2002, 05:37 PM
THUNDERBUTT, I sold programs up and down the shore line,in the mid sixties, when it was 9HRS and the RAWHIDE boat was kickin it. What year did it become smaller? I don't remember. I was about 10. I do remember that I did not like seeing the dual Merc,engine cats doing so good. The v-drive drivers were like the knarly Gladiators. Bouncin and hammerin like a sombitch. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

old rigger
04-17-2002, 08:25 AM
My memory for the 9 hr. goes back to the mid 60's as well, when I was about 10 or 11. It was an awesome start, and from the spot where our friends had a trailer,(about 3/4 of a mile from Badnochs, or 1000 feet up river from 'Hull's Hut' for all you REAL old timers) we could climb up the hill and see them comming up river after the LeMans start. Always remember the outboards running there, my dads buddy, Bob Massey ran a Switzer flying wing. They flat hauled ass. If I remember right he was killed at the 9 hour. I think he was the one who ran into a swarm of mosquitos, choked on them and stuffed his boat into a dock. I'm almost sure that was him but it may have been another racer.
I didn't know the Parker race started at Elsinore, always thought they were 2 seperate races, like the Salton Sea 500. I have some old Speed and Spray mags from the mid 50's showing them running races at Parker.
Not to stray off the original thing but back to Hulls Hut. It was a cool place on the river. The foundation from the old building is still there. They used to have a canal that the guys would pull their boats into and tie them off, away from the current. The place was done Tiki style with go-go dancers in bamboo cages. The bartender there would give us 25 cents for every horse fly that we could kill. He also had a pet racoon that would wander freely around the bar.
The place made a huge impact on me, not only for the Tiki style thing, which my wife hates, but for all the wood deck flatties that used to be anchored there. Man, if I only had a time machine.

04-17-2002, 08:56 AM
OR, its those Tiki places that gave us umbrellas in our cocktails and the world hasn't been the same since. Where I grew up that "Tiki" thing was the bomb, all the neighbors had some sort of tiki thing going on. Once again you took me back to my childhood, thanks.

Heads up
04-18-2002, 08:04 AM
This was before my time but my dad and grandpa both raced in the parker 9 hour, the elsinore race, and the salt n sea 500 for a number of years. My grandpa ran a Keith Black chrysler with injectors but I'm not sure he ever got her to hang together for a whole race. He was also the 2nd or 3rd guy to drive the first hydro built by Rich Hallet. We have some old family photos that were made into video of it too. I'm going to see my family this weekend and I'll try to get some old pics and post them next week.

Stab-n-Steer
04-19-2002, 06:53 AM
Old Rig, 058,
Man I love the Tiki shit too! My folk's backyard had those torches and the patio looked like it was right out of Gilligan's Island. In my backyard, I built this really cool bar next to the pool that is in the Tiki hut motif. One year for Halloween I dressed up as a hula dancer complete with grass skirt and coconut bra!
Lost Isle in the Delta has the Tiki theme going on and there's a great marina near there called Tiki Lagoon...
I even put those little umbrellas in my glass of Budwieser... Long live the foo-foo drinks!
S&S

126driver
04-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
Old Rig, 058,
I dressed up as a hula dancer complete with grass skirt and coconut bra!
S&S
Uh, too much information! J/K

old rigger
04-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Stabber,
are these tiki places in the delta going to be near the tower park run this summer? I know you guys have said tha delta is ****ing huge, but I was hoping it would be close enough to run there one day.
I was thinkin' of bringing some of my tiki mugs to TPII, and serve beers in them just for laughs while were all bsing around the camp fire. Yes. I admit it, I'm a headhunter (someone who spends good money on tacky tiki mugs).
Your backyard sounds pretty cool to me, but you're starting to worry me with the bra thing.......

04-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Hey OR, Lost Isle is a great place but the big boats usually take up too much space for the smaller boats to dock. Its now the hang-out for the off shore crowd. This place was so wild a couple of years ago the sherriff dept. and the county attorneys office was looking for legal ways to shut it down for good. It is still open but has toned it down a bunch. It is within reach of Tower Park but only if you know the Delta well enough to find your way around. Sloughs all look alike after awhile.

Stab-n-Steer
04-19-2002, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I guess I should of kept that bra thing to myself... Actually, When I was done with it I made my wife wear it around the house and she really did it justice! You should have seen the look on the pizza delivery boy's face!
Rigger, I can navigate to Lost Isle, no problem. But like Bob said, you have to put vaseline on the side of your boat to try to squeese into the dock. It really is an Island so you can't drive there.
S&S

HYDROMOBILE
04-20-2002, 09:07 AM
They changed the 9hr, race to 7 hrs in 1975 witch I won in the jet division, 1975 was the last Elsinore 250 race witch i won in the jet division, that's all i know, Jim Brock

V-Drive Tom
04-20-2002, 03:00 PM
HYDROMOBILE, Good Man, Thats TUFF STUFF! I would love to participate in the parker enduro some time. Some of us V-Drive heads need to go get after it some year soon! Even though the EGGBEATERS would WUUP ON US! That would be a ton of fun. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

EricinNv
04-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Old Rigger,
I reckon I must be old cuz I certainly remember Hulls hut. Drank many a roy rogers there. I thought it was Hof's hut though. An A frame type structure with thatched roofs & tiki torches. We went there often as it was closer to our launch ramp than Foxes. My dad had a 66 stevens flat with a wood deck, 425 Buick with a pair of afb's. We'd make it every year for the Enduro and usually go down to Blue Water to watch. I can remember it sounded like an explosion when they'd light off all those boats on the LeMans type start. After the start, we'd make it down to Sports Valley or the beach were MooValya Keys is now located. Speaking of the Tiki Theme, I also remember a bar up by the Dam called polynesan village or something similar. It was in the same era.
Sorry guys for the lengthy blaa blaa blaa.
Eric

old rigger
04-21-2002, 08:42 AM
eric,
we were probably there (river-9 hr.- hulls hut-sports valley) at the same time. Do you remember that was the time at Sports Valley that you could pick out your own steak and cook it too??
Still got your dads stevens around? I went to look at one on Friday. The guy told me it was a 68 Stevens with a wood deck, but it turned out to be one of Buck Smiths Sipco's. It was a hell of a deal, but no wood deck. New SMC, with new exhaust logs, along with a bunch of extra parts including the original 327. No upholstury. I passed on it but the other guy that was there at the same time bought it. 1000 bucks.
I don't remember the place up towards the dam that you mentioned, but we camped alot at river lodge back then early 60's. Funny thing I remember most was in the bar that they used to have had one of those old bowling machine games where you would slide a puck type of thing down the lane of the game and the pins would hindge up when you hit them. The lane was dusted with either very fine sand or saw dust, I can't recall which.
In the evenings, our parents would be gathered around the fires or wrenching on one of the boats, with the knowledge that their kids, 5-10 years old, were safe, hanging out in the bar, bowling.
Anyone remember the drink they would serve at the Winners Circle, up by the dam, called 'blue goo'. I don't know what was in the thing but you could turn your glass upside down and the drink wouldn't spill out, it wouldn't even move. Hell of a drink and it kicked my ass on more that one ocassion. This was later, in the early '80's not when I was a little boy.

Thunderbutt
04-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Tom, I think the typ of boats with v-drives today would give the EggBeaters a race. Schiada, Hallet, Howard,ski racing Cruisers. I haven't been to the Parker race in years. Are there any v-drives in it? In the old days the v-drive boats didn't handel well enough to keep up with the eggbeaters in the turns. Originally posted by V-Drive Tom:
HYDROMOBILE, Good Man, Thats TUFF STUFF! I would love to participate in the parker enduro some time. Some of us V-Drive heads need to go get after it some year soon! Even though the EGGBEATERS would WUUP ON US! That would be a ton of fun. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

V-Drive Tom
04-21-2002, 07:12 PM
THUNDERBUTT, I don't know if ther is many v-drives in it, because I pay too much attention to drag boats. I just figure they have those ching-wa,rice burnin,clamp-ons running 10,000 RPM all day and we would be there swingin around all that big iron sounding all bitchin till we put oil in the bottom of the boat! I agree the hulls are much better. It would be fun to try. All I know is I would supply the V-DRIVE...or two! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

126driver
04-22-2002, 09:19 AM
GN's run at the Enduro also, and few years ago a bunch of guys got together and ran a crackerbox. Some of the GN's run pretty good, but those damn blender boats haul ass and are rocketships in the corners. Don't sound as bitchin though.

old rigger
04-22-2002, 12:59 PM
you guys remember the guy who would race the little Boston Whaler outboard every year? He would run real close to the shore and just chug along. Probably did a third of the laps the big boys did. Really funny but I bet he had a blast.

EricinNv
04-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Old Rigger,
Spoke to my dad about Hulls hut and your post. He said that brought back fond memories. He was in his mid to late 20's then and thought he was in heaven. Said I was getting paid to spray people with Off, to keep the mosquitoes and flies away. You and I WERE probably there at the same time.Yes I remember the bbq steaks at Sports Valley and all the $$$ on the ceiling. I remember my dad showed me and my brother how to swim under the dock at Sports Valley and look up through the slats at the girls laying down sunning themselves. And yes, I remember the guy in the Boston Whaler. We'd cheer for him when he'd go by or my dad would throw empty Oly bottles at him. I'll have to remind him of that.

RiverToysJas
04-22-2002, 08:26 PM
On the subject of Tiki Huts! I am right NOW designing a Tiki patio cover for one of the patios in my backyard. Does anyone know where to find the thatch roof grass?
I plan to put some of those hanging chairs and maybe a hammock in there! There's already a redwood bar on that patio.
SORRY to take you so far off of a great subject - you can e-mail your replies if you'd like, jason@rivertoys.com. Please ignore me if nobody knows.
Thanks,
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

hottrodder
04-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Here's my useless .02
http://www.africanroofing.com

Backfire
04-22-2002, 09:05 PM
My dad befriended a guy in the 60's that was a landscape contractor who specialized in doing the polynesian/tahitian thing for big apartment complexes. He could carve a 20 ft tiki from a palm log in about 20 minutes with a chainsaw! The thatch roofing is nothing more than dead palm fronds from a fan palm. I'm sure that a palm tree trimmer would be more than happy to bring you "materials" rather than going to the dump with them!

Jim Hall
04-24-2002, 08:32 AM
I have not heard anybody talk about the 9hr. in a long time! I remember when Marion Beaver entered a Hallet roundie round hydro
and watch him be the first around by a long ways....was real fast in good water. we used to stay at Bransons and hung with Leonard Sciahda, Earl Hall (Hallcraft v-drive fame) and others. We had a 16' Guasti with 302 chevy. We actually had some close friends (Elliot Olds, Earl Hall, and I cannot remember the others) who one 1yr driving a kinsvater with side oiler Holman Moody prepped 427 ford....AHHHHH those were the day's. Anyone ever heard of Guasti? The original Panic Mouse (Ray Casseli) was a Guasti.

old rigger
04-24-2002, 08:34 AM
EricinNv,
I don't remember the $$$ on the ceiling at Sports Valley. Funny what you remember. I'm sure our paths crossed more than once at the river.
I see you live in Gardnerville. My in-laws live in Tahoe. We go there quite a bit and go to Topaz when we can. Gonna be there this summer with our new toy that I just bought yesterday. My brain was on hold, or I just plain got nostalgic and I bought a '65 wood decker running a FE motor. Going to bring it home on the weekend and try to explain things to my wife. God love her, she's afraid to pull into the driveway sometimes for fear of what I've drug home. This thing's nicer than the usual stuff that follows me home.
If I can figure out how to post some pictures here, I'll do so this weekend.

Thunderbutt
04-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Are you the Jim Hall of the Chaparral fame? He was from Tex. I asked about the Guasti boat in one of the topics of old boats, didn't get much of a responce. I thought all of the Panic mouse boats were Hondos. Casseli was one of the best drag boat drivers ever. Originally posted by Jim Hall:
I have not heard anybody talk about the 9hr. in a long time! I remember when Marion Beaver entered a Hallet roundie round hydro
and watch him be the first around by a long ways....was real fast in good water. we used to stay at Bransons and hung with Leonard Sciahda, Earl Hall (Hallcraft v-drive fame) and others. We had a 16' Guasti with 302 chevy. We actually had some close friends (Elliot Olds, Earl Hall, and I cannot remember the others) who one 1yr driving a kinsvater with side oiler Holman Moody prepped 427 ford....AHHHHH those were the day's. Anyone ever heard of Guasti? The original Panic Mouse (Ray Casseli) was a Guasti.

Thunderbutt
04-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Backfire, I built an apartment complex on Reseda Blvd called the Tahitian Village and had a guy carve some tiki gods and he used a chain saw. Proberly the same guy. He was good. Originally posted by Backfire:
My dad befriended a guy in the 60's that was a landscape contractor who specialized in doing the polynesian/tahitian thing for big apartment complexes. He could carve a 20 ft tiki from a palm log in about 20 minutes with a chainsaw! The thatch roofing is nothing more than dead palm fronds from a fan palm. I'm sure that a palm tree trimmer would be more than happy to bring you "materials" rather than going to the dump with them!

LeE ss13
04-27-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Jim Hall:
OH MY GOSH !!! I,m not the only old guy that remembers Marion Beaver ??? In the '60s, he always was first in the first two laps with his blown hemi. I saw him at the '69 Enduro. Lou Brummet won that year.(I think) Sports Valley had that big Trophy with all the names of the winners. Wonder what happened to it. That was great.
--------
LeE ss13