PDA

View Full Version : Mission Bay info? need local help.

the_gray_goose
06-26-2007, 10:17 AM
We are thinking about going to Mission Bay for the 4th.
Is there a good place to stay that has docks?
Any places not to stay?
Any special laws that apply to the bay in regards to boating?
Any info here would be helpful.
Thanks

Goodtime$
06-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Mission Bay is really small. It will be packed, most people tie up over by Sea World and check out the show.
For boating and the views, San Diego bay is much better. Downtown Lights, Peohis for drinks/food with their own dock plus U can tie up south of the Coronado Bridge with some large sailboats and cruisers.
Best of luck, i think there is a hotel in Mission Bay that has docks, not sure if there over-night.

Screaming Pete
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
if your bringing the cat you can launch at the new ramp on the sea world side accross from fesita island. there is a resort that used to be called vacation village that has a privite dock and also 2 other launch ramps in the area. you can boat over to san diego bay and cruise that not sure about tying up to the dock at peohes in a dcb, maybe down farther at the Loews coranado, great place thier
pete

OCMerrill
06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
There are hotels in both Mission and SD Bay. We did the hotel and boat dock here...
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-344739-hyatt_regency_islandia_hotel_marina-i
The you can go out into the big blue and motor south about 10 miles and into the big SD bay. Look at all the naval ships, stop for lunch, then motor back. Stay out far enough past the kelp beds and you will do fine.
I have done this about 6x in my previous boat which was just a little 19' runabout.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
If you wanna camp you can stay at Campland On The Bay. They have a launch ramp. Or if you want a hotel, you can stay at the Bahia Hotel and Resort. Its right on the water in the bay. You can pull your boat up right infront of your room.

the_gray_goose
06-26-2007, 11:15 AM
If you wanna camp you can stay at Campland On The Bay. They have a launch ramp. Or if you want a hotel, you can stay at the Bahia Hotel and Resort. Its right on the water in the bay. You can pull your boat up right infront of your room.
Can you leave the boat on the beach at the Bahia overnite?

BIGRRNU
06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
We tried to get rooms on mission bay for the 4th,every hotel was sold out:( :( :( :( :(

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I did with my old boat. I would anchor off though. The tide drops far at night. The Bahia will give you a pass.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I did with my old boat. I would anchor off though. The tide drops far at night. The Bahia will give you a pass.

code8
06-26-2007, 11:50 AM
We stayed in Camp land on the bay in an RV a few weeks ago. It was one of the best camp sites I've ever been to. I was telling my wife, this place is just like the river in our on backyard (20 minutes away). A lot of RV/Toy haulers , very FAMILY orientated, 3 pools, a game room, store, LIVE band and entertainment. Pacific Beach/Mission Beach is just down the road. Downtown San Diego is a few minutes away. I highly recommend CAMP LAND ON THE BAY. Oh yeah, it has own private ramp and a big sandy beach area.
Sea World has a great fireworks show. If not there will be a lot of places in San Diego that will be doing fireworks.
Hope this helps.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.campland.com/
http://www.bahiahotel.com/

HocusPocus
06-26-2007, 12:34 PM
We are heading out to campland on thursday and staying thru the weekend for a family reunion, we do this at the same place every 2 years. its a pretty good place, very family friendly. i would doubt that they would have any available spaces for that weekend. good luck.

TOBTEK
06-26-2007, 12:38 PM
all I can say is YOU BETTER CALL when you get into town! pool has been around 85-88 degrees :D ...Was having a cran/goose lastnight...... regatta FLASHBACKS:eek:

UltraLucky
06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
http://paradisepoint.com/ Paradise Point in Mission Bay - the old Vacation Village. Plenty of private beach with rooms on the bay. You can anchor your boat right of the beach they also have a small dock/marina. We stayed there last year and the family enjoyed the location.

mobldj
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
you can make reservations at campland,only problem is it will be for the fourth of july 2008,2007 sold out so thing ahead for next year.

Cole Sanger
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Very far. When I lived in PB, I would go down 5th of July to see all the boats that were on their sides because people did not realize how far the tide dropped at night. Good luck finding a hotel last minute.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Good luck finding a hotel last minute.
Thats what i was thinking. Good luck Bro.:D

Trash
06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
The docks at Peohe's are out of commission. Don't plan on docking there.

the_gray_goose
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks all!
all good info.

SUBPRIME
06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
also good luck finding fresh water to flush with!!! :mad: :mad:
haulled the boat down from OC only to find out there is no where to flush the boat!! posted a couple times on here looking for anyone that knows where you can flush at in SD.
no luck

Mr. Crusader 83
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
You might wanna try launching in Oceanside (35-45min North) and driving the boat down. There are some nice places to stay in oceanside and Carlsbad.

Mr. Crusader 83
06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Also Oceanside and the Marine Corp base have fireworks that you can see from the Oceanside Harbor. They have a nice launch ramp and water hookups to flush your boat out.

kap
06-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Grey Goose:
Well--- First thing is you better have a hotel reservation--- as most if not all hotels are booked for the 4th of July.
Second, Mission Bay sucks on the 4th it's not worth putting your boat in the water. Why! well the pond aka Mission bay is mostly a no wake zone except for the area around Enchanted Isle ie... the middle of Mission Bay.
You can't even think of opening it up because to many people will be in the way. That is unless you go out into the open water and I do not suggest that with your DCB unless your familiar with open ocean.
If you do not mind cruising around in your DCB going 5mph then by all means put the boat in the water. Let's say you launch at Shelter Island and cruise around the Harbor you still won't be able to open it up unless you get past the NOSC base and then it's open water again same problem.
If you want to enjoy yourself leave the boat at home and cruise around in the truck. You can enjoy yourself a lot more no stress and headaches and not worry about getting a ticket if your unfamiliar with Mission Bay.
Paradise Point Resort is the bomb you can see an awesome fireworks show right from the Barefoot bar. Also the Catamaran Hotel is awesome with a great pool and private beach and nite club at night ie... Cannibal Bar. Plus, you can walk to the Boardwalk and beach bars whilst leaving the truck in valet :D .
Violations of most boating laws in Mission Bay are a misdeameanor and Mission Bay is swarming with them [LEOS]. Also zero tolerance in Mission Bay ie... cross the line and no warning--- instant ticket.
If you have any questions just PM me.
KAP
P.S. I have all of the boat launches mentioned about 1-2 miles from my home and can see the Sea World Fireworks from the Balcony of my home:D .

SUBPRIME
06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Also Oceanside and the Marine Corp base have fireworks that you can see from the Oceanside Harbor. They have a nice launch ramp and water hookups to flush your boat out.
I like the sound of this!! What is the name of the lauch ramp in oceanside? is it for public use? any info on this would be great thanks!