PDA

View Full Version : Actual Boating Related Question...

frdvschvy
06-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I know this is not an actual boating forum :D but thought I would throw a question out there to see if anybody can help.
Our 24' Lavey has K-Planes and there are two trim gauges for tab position mounted at the helm. The tabs work fine but neither of trim position gauges are working. The needle on the gauge flickers a little when I move the tabs up and down but they do nothing to indicate trim postion. I am assuming there is some sort of electronic sender that is not working correctly but do not have any experience with this type of setup.
Is anybody familiar with this k-plane / trim gauge setup? Anybody have any trouble shooting suggestions or know of a fix?
Thanks!

dunaholic
06-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Check the board where the actual guage(s) plug into, ther is probably a reset button on there. That's what I have to do on mine.

frdvschvy
06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Check the board where the actual guage(s) plug into, ther is probably a reset button on there. That's what I have to do on mine.
Interesting. Where is this board with the reset button mounted on your boat?

BDMar
06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
If they are genuine Mercury K-Planes the gauge is driven by a cable. If there are two needles or pins that slide up and down there is a cable that runs from the K-Planes to the dash, look on the K-Planes for the cable. The cable is a 33C, the same size as a throttle cable.

frdvschvy
06-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Yes, genuine Mercury/Kiekhaefer K-Planes. However not mechanical cable driven indicators. I have a mechanical indicator for my drive but not K-Planes. The guages for my K-Planes are round electronic gauges mounted at the helm. I have never seen this type of setup until now and am a little perplexed.

BDMar
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Someone must have adapted an electric sender to them. Now you are into testing the senders. They are most likely a potentiometer and can be tested with an ohmmeter while cycling the sender.