PDA

View Full Version : Topock to Havasu

socalmofo
06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Gonna stray from Mojave this Sunday and want to try Havasu.
I have some questions. We want to launch from Topock (Seems to be a shorter drive than all the way to Havasu).
How do I get to Topock From Bullhead?
How Far From Topock is the entrance to the lake?
Is it really shallow heading down river to the Lake?
Any other tips/pointers?
Thanks!

AirtimeLavey
06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I launch from Needles to go to Havazoo. Either Needls marina or Jack Smith. Only 1/2 hr. from Bullhead, and the water depth is good the whole way (going south only, that is). Usually, stop at Moabi to jump in the water, and then head on down.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I would suggest launching at Park Moabi and then heading South. From what I understand the launch ramp at Topock sucks, BIG TIME.....

Havasu1986
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I would suggest launching at Park Moabi and then heading South. From what I understand the launch ramp at Topock sucks, BIG TIME.....
What he said...;)

socalmofo
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I launch from Needles to go to Havazoo. Either Needls marina or Jack Smith. Only 1/2 hr. from Bullhead, and the water depth is good the whole way (going south only, that is). Usually, stop at Moabi to jump in the water, and then head on down.
What do you mean going south only?
So no worries of the depth going and coming back?

Havasu1986
06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
He meant don't go any farther north from THOSE launch ramps. :)

acatitude
06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
He meant don't go any farther north from THOSE launch ramps. :)
lol i was wondering the same thing.... dah

AirtimeLavey
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Depending on what type of boat you have, I would not go north of Needles (on the river between Laughlin and Needles) unless you have a jet. I used to in my 19' jet with no problem.
Now, with my 24' Lavey i/o, I won't do it. Launching from Needles and heading south to havasu and coming back, I have never had a problem in any boat. Will be doing this w/e at some point. :D

socalmofo
06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a 24' Lightning (Should be similar to the depth of your Lavey).

shippingguy
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I would launch out of Jack Smith. Nicely redone ramps (4 of them). The water level is fine and I have never had longer than a 20-30 minute wait on a holiday weekend. I launch my 27 Shadow out of there every weekend. Like previously said only about 20 minutes or so from Bullhead.
Mike

AirtimeLavey
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I would think you would not have any issues. A lot of board members launch from Needles with our size or bigger boats. I've launched from there at least 10+ times w/no problems. Obviously, I stay to the middle the whole way down. Nice ride.
Other than that, you do know about the river mouth at the north end of Havasu, right? If you can, follow the line of a similar or bigger boat, because if you stray too much towards one side or the other, you'll be shining your prop & taken paint off the lower. Been there, done that. Dohhhh!
Most peeps like jack Smith better than Needles Marina, but don't tell anyone. :D

Coach
06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching from Needles or Park Moabi is a push. Launching from Needles will save you about 15 mins driving time and water depth is a non-factor going south. There are some lower spots but the water levels have been up most summer esp on Fridays and Saturdays. Once you leave the Topock gorge you will cross the lake and if you work to your left you will see the entrance to the channel.

Nord
06-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, even though we try to keep Jack smith a secret, I would say thats your best bet.