PDA

View Full Version : New To Jets

lamsv
06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm a long time outboard boat owner. Have been boatless for some time now, but looking to come back to the joys of being on the water all day! I am currently looking at getting a jet boat. Really open to most hull designs, makes, etc. Hard part is finding a nice boat local to me (Montana). I have found a couple, but need some help with a few items on the boat.
For instance, what is the purpose of these parts of a jet:
Drop snoot, ride plate, and place convertor?
Also, how should a proper impeller be choosen for a given boat (say, in my case, a 83 Spectra 18.5' Tunnel hull, with 550hp 468 BBC)?
Anything else I should look for as a first time jet boat owner?
Thanks for any help!
-Seth

red Dawg
06-26-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm new to the jet scene as well and these guys have helped me out alot! So I'm sure they will do the same for you!

Xlration Marine
06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry bubba. It's a "place deverter". It does the same as your trim button on an OB. Lets you hang the nose up, oh and gives a rooster. The two other items are go fast goodies. All three together will give you more speed.

BUSBY
06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Welcome Seth,
I'm sorry to say you are catching a bad desease ...
To answer 3 of your questions,
1) Droop Snoot: Is a bout a 6" drop snoot (or discharge tube) that bolts onto the bolw to lower the nozzel into the water to lower the thrust line of the jet.
2) Ride Plate: is a plate that is approx 17" long that would bolt to the intake on the bottom of the boat and attach to the bowl. By changing the angle of the plate will change the attitude of the boat.
3) Place Diverter: An adjustable nozzel as Xlration said that will either raise or lower your thrust line (like your trim) and create a roost as well.
As far as impeller questions ... every boat is different, so it would be hard to say ... but if one were to guess without any other information than what you've given ... I would say try a "A/B" or "B" impeller ... but if you call Jack McClure at MPD (949-631-2040) he'll set you in the right direction.
Good luck,
Brian

lamsv
06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. That all makes sense to me.
Now, the ride plate and place diverter are adjustable on the fly. Are they manually adjustable, or eletrically? Also, would you set one or the other and forget it..or do you have to fiddle with both to get optimal ride?
Also, the boat I am most interested in has a Dominator pump with "B" propeller. I'm gonna assume it is right for this application. Won't know till I get it out on the water myself though!
Hope to join the "ranks" soon...I was just sick and tires of my little 125 Merc. Time for real speed and sound if you ask me!

455Rocket
06-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys. That all makes sense to me.
Now, the ride plate and place diverter are adjustable on the fly. Are they manually adjustable, or eletrically? Also, would you set one or the other and forget it..or do you have to fiddle with both to get optimal ride?
Also, the boat I am most interested in has a Dominator pump with "B" propeller. I'm gonna assume it is right for this application. Won't know till I get it out on the water myself though!
Hope to join the "ranks" soon...I was just sick and tires of my little 125 Merc. Time for real speed and sound if you ask me!
A ride plate is not, however a place diverter aka "jetavator" is... There are both cable setups using a handle mounted on the floor of the boat, and hyd. which use an electronic switch on the wheel or dash. You set the ride plate, but play with the diverter depending on water conditions, weight in the boat and where it's placed (a bunch of people in an open bow for example) etc etc... After a certain amount of trim is obtained, however, you reach you max lift point, and you don't "break loose" like a prop... just get a bad ass rooster tail.
Most likely the B is a good choice for that boat, I wouldn't concern yourself with it as much as overall condition. Dominator is a good, popular pump.. plenty of parts etc... its an impeller in a jet BTW :)
Sometimes i wish i had an outboard... so much more econimical, but jets are more fun and very easy to work on. Don't be upset when 500 HP doesn't move a jet boat as fast as an outboard with a lot less power

lamsv
06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, thanks for clearing up the parts and function of the jet. I really do appreciate it. Searching this site and others have really helped me become partially educated on the subject.
I won't be disappointed if 500hp doesn't move me as fast as a much lesser outboard. Can an outboard sound like a top fuel dragster? Throw a roost? Or get a load of attention at the boat launch (well, maybe a few can). Probably not! For my money, nothing can seem to beat the looks, power, sound, and attention grabbing mox-e that a jet boat can!
-Seth

pw_Tony
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, thanks for clearing up the parts and function of the jet. I really do appreciate it. Searching this site and others have really helped me become partially educated on the subject.
I won't be disappointed if 500hp doesn't move me as fast as a much lesser outboard. Can an outboard sound like a top fuel dragster? Throw a roost? Or get a load of attention at the boat launch (well, maybe a few can). Probably not! For my money, nothing can seem to beat the looks, power, sound, and attention grabbing mox-e that a jet boat can!
-Seth
Now you're getting the idea, that's why everyone says how fun they are:D :D
Read signature quote