PDA

View Full Version : The AVI

Overtime
06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Hows is the water from the Avi up towards Laughlin? Is it plenty deep for an IO? Any info would be great...
Thanks

Big Warlock
06-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Possible but lots of sandbars along the way. Have to be careful.

pw_Tony
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I've done it many times, you just have to keep a watchful eye out, and the water looks shallower than it is sometimes because of how clear it is. Or get a Jet Boat:D

shippingguy
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I have doen it numerous times from Needles in my 27 Shadow. There a some real shallow spots that you can get around, but you have to know the river well. If the water is up you should be ok. It is a risk though!! If you can do it it is a great run I love running all the way up to the bottom of the Davis Dam and then floating down river.

AirtimeLavey
06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Depending on the size of your boat, launching from the Avi maybe a bit tricky with the current. There is a little break there, but not alot. Really have to watch your way up there.

roostwear
06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Bad news taking a I/O upriver. Bad things will happen to your prop. Really avoid that section of river.
Another RW public service message......

2Driver
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I would not recommend it - IMO if you dont know the river. I've done in a jet several times from Laughlin to the Sandbar. I might run it if I knew it like I know Parker but only after some time in the saddle in a jet. A lot of the 'sandbars" are rockbars
Run down and launch at Needles and head south is a safer bet.

pixilatedpussy
06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
We have been running that strip of river for the past 5-6 years. Not a prob yet. Watch the sand/rock bar up river about a mile (before the bend left)...just hug the right side.Also if you go down there is one just past the Avi bridge on your right, & one in the middle of the river across from Circle Beach that you need to be aware of. Watch the water level & Just use common boating sense. Launching there is easy, its getting back on the trailer later in the afternoon that can be a pain. There is quite a current & one heck of an eddy!:idea: I always do it & my husband backs the truck down....& you know what they say...." If a chick can do it...";) have fun! We should be on the water in that area Fri eve, & Sun.

3queens
06-26-2007, 07:08 PM
going up river from bridge stay middle right once at beach area another spot
dead ahead stay center then jog to right massive under water rock hazard
ok tell bhc launch watch for sand bar right under overhead power/water line
once around corner no hidden hazards all the way to davis camp
always be aware of ever changing conditions
south of avi stay left to avoid huge sand bar. clear tell willow area
watch for under water trees mostly on right side when going south
have been navigating upper river since late 80's
have fun it's all good
:D

Mandelon
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
We ran that area for a while. Lost a prop every other year. :rolleyes: If the level is up, you should be alright. But sometimes you have to wailt til noon before that happens. There are still some big ol' rocks under the water that get hungry for outdrives and props....

3queens
06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
oh ya hafta bring spare parts just in case:)

Brownie
06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
The way the river has been this year, go after noon and you should be OK. The water level rises A LOT from 10 am to noon. Early in the morning is scary even in a jet.
Also...watch the lake lice (river lice?) up by Laughlin...lots of rentals and we've had several close calls up there.

3queens
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
oh there is a phone number for davis dam water release
928-754-3666
oh and definitly watch out for the squiddies on water up there