PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR...hammer....2nd try

SummitKarl
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
As a result, Gordon and Johnson have each been penalized 100 driver championship points. Their respective crew chiefs – Steve Letarte and Chad Knaus – have each been fined $100,000, suspended for the next six NASCAR Nextel Cup Series events until Aug. 15, 2007 and placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2007. In addition, Rick Hendrick, owner of the No. 24, has been penalized 100 car owner championship points as has Gordon, who is the owner of the No. 48.
link to article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/38347)
with Gordon and Johnson being so popular, I wonder if they will get the same public ridicule that Waltrip got for breaking the rules? or will their popularity give them a free pass with the public?...it seems NASCAR thinks the violations were just about the same, because they handed out just about the same penalty to Gordon and Johnson as they did to Waltrip

Boatcop
06-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Won't make any difference. They'll make the top 12 (Chase) and with their wins, they'll get the bonus points, and end up among the top 3 for the last 10 races. So this is a minor bump in the road, and won't matter one iota in the final outcome.

burtandnancy2
06-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Thats a rediculous penalty for this infraction. As Huffpower said, thats what a crew chief is supposed to do, push the envelope. $100,000 fines are crazy, its meaningless. And why do they insist on fining everyone on the team. Lets open it up and see where some good cheating leads too...

termiteguy
06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
i know a 100.000 is not much to driver but is that alot for a crewchief to pay out of his pocket. if not how much do they make?

77charger
06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Won't make any difference. They'll make the top 12 (Chase) and with their wins, they'll get the bonus points, and end up among the top 3 for the last 10 races. So this is a minor bump in the road, and won't matter one iota in the final outcome.
Gives the crew chiefs more time to prepare for the chase too.Although i think gordan might slip the next couple of races since he can credit at least 2 wins to his crew chief for some decisions he made last second.
JOhnson will probably win another in the next 6 weeks maybe 2:D

DUNDUN
06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm pretty sure when a crew chief is suspended he is not allowed at the racetrack.. That doesn't mean he can't still do his day job at the shop, preparing cars, preparing notes, etc..
They send their teams out with everything on paper, as far as racing goes, it won't be much of a difference. Look at what happened when Knaus was suspended on Jimmie Johnson's team and the Car Chief Darian Grubb substituted and they obliterated the field for six weeks last year..
I think the weight of the infraction is rediculous... where do you seperate "trying to be the fastest guy out there" to "cheating"?
I think taking away owner points and driver points is rediculous too.
It's funny the way that NASCAR has gotten more intense about things like this, if this happened in 2003, The Crew Chief wouldn't have been suspended for a month and a half, and the driver and owner might lose 25 points...
my .02

slowasscp
06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
The crew chief dosent pay the fine out of his pockets the team will cover that. And as for the crew cheifs pay for those guys its way up there plus all the bounes.I know when i was at roush racing they got real good pay.