PDA

View Full Version : Suction Seal is loose?

TIGGER
06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
I was working on my pump tonight and I noticed that where the suction seal goes is quite worn and does not keep the seal in place. It looks like the seal rests in a bushing or something. Can it be replaced? If not, can I just silicone the seal in place and go on with my rebuild?

victorfb
06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
suction seal? if you mean the suction housing gasket, id say definatly replace it if its not sealing properly. your rebuild kit should come with all gaskets, seals, bushings, and bearings. use all of them for a proper rebuild. if your talking about the round rubber seal, then no, never try and band aid it with silicone. replace it with the new one. if the housing is not holding the seal properly, either try and find a seal that has a slightly larger circumforance, bore the housing and install a sleeve, get a new housing, and if you really have to you can try and use some brass shims. the later i wouldnt do unless totally nessesary.

TIGGER
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
It is the grease seal that goes into the suction housing. The housing is quite worn there and does not keep the seal tight. I have a feeling when the bearing came apart, it damaged the seal area. How many grease holes should there be for the bearing, coming out of the housing? I am thinking of JB welding it back up and sanding it off till it holds the seal tight. THe area for the bearing and lip are perfectly fine.

TIGGER
07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I used JBweld to reduce the size of the hole. I made sure not to close up the grease holes. Now the seal fits just fine :)

centerhill condor
07-02-2007, 05:39 AM
I used JBweld to reduce the size of the hole. I made sure not to close up the grease holes. Now the seal fits just fine :)
problem solved!

Pops@Aggressor
07-02-2007, 07:13 AM
I was working on my pump tonight and I noticed that where the suction seal goes is quite worn and does not keep the seal in place. It looks like the seal rests in a bushing or something. Can it be replaced? If not, can I just silicone the seal in place and go on with my rebuild?J.M.Clipper Seals have a PAT: coating Along with the hard rubber base that will take up some over wear or bore space. May help- You could also build up with a primer and paint but keep configuration by sanding between coats. Otherwise new case or if talented in machine you could sleeve and re-bore(A Job).