PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Steering

Havasu Luvr
06-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Morning Bob, I have a 29 Shockwave with tilt steering. The teeth that locks the steering wheel in multiple position has a few broken teeth so I am limited to the position of my steering wheel. I am wondering if I can buy just the tilt wheel mechanism or do I need to buy the whole steering pkg.

Dana Marine Products
06-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi, hopefully you have the Teleflex system in your boat. If so, yes, we do sell the tilt mechanism separately. Here's a link to it, http://danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=52&catid=89&productid=2360&CFID=319230&CFTOKEN=77894465
If it's a different name brand, (Morse or Hardin), you can still change the tilt mechanism, we'll just have to hunt one down for you. Let me know if you need any help. Thanks, Bob @ Dana Marine

Havasu Luvr
06-28-2007, 05:18 AM
Thank you Bob, is there any identifying marks in the casting I can look for to tell if it is a Teleflex?

Dana Marine Products
06-28-2007, 07:12 AM
The helm would be marked on the rubber boot, unfortunately, it will be marked under your steering hub, so you'll have to pull the hub off to read it. Other than that, you'd have to look for markings on the cable. If you had a part number off the cable, that would tell us what you would need.

Havasu Luvr
06-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Again, thanks Bob, your a great help

Dana Marine Products
06-30-2007, 10:13 AM
No problemo, that's what were here for.

BobbyB
07-12-2007, 03:58 PM
This works with the already unstalled Teleflex helm? i just replaced my Morse helm with a Teleflex helm because they didn't have the replacement cable. I want it to tilt now. If it is a retrofit to existing helms, then it should fit over the helm cover too, right?
Thanks,

Dana Marine Products
07-12-2007, 04:43 PM
If you have the standard Teleflex rack helm you'll need to buy the tilt helm and tilt mechanism. Your new rack and cable will fit with the new tilt helm. The tilt mechanism will not work with your standard helm.

BobbyB
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
the same goes for a rotary system? I notice that you have two different tilt helms for the rotary system (one doesn't have a pic); what's the difference?

boatnam2
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Morning Bob, I have a 29 Shockwave with tilt steering. The teeth that locks the steering wheel in multiple position has a few broken teeth so I am limited to the position of my steering wheel. I am wondering if I can buy just the tilt wheel mechanism or do I need to buy the whole steering pkg.
maybe you can sell me the plastic knuckle out of the old one.

boatnam2
07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
the same goes for a rotary system? I notice that you have two different tilt helms for the rotary system (one doesn't have a pic); what's the difference?
whats up son!

Dana Marine Products
07-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Teleflex makes alot of different steering helms, so many it's quite confusing. The standard Safe-T QC tilt helm (91523) is used with the standard rotary steering kit. It features three turns lock to lock, and is used by many OEM's as a traditional rotary system.
The HPS tilt steering (91650) is a high performance system from Teleflex. It uses a more compact helm for tighter installations. The HPS system also has a 3 turn lock to lock helm, but it is designed as a no-feedback system that has up to 50 percent less slop in the wheel. When an HPS helm and HPS cable is used together, it is designed to be strong enough to function even if power steering is lost.
The HPS systems are more expensive, but there are benefits above the standard steering. Both systems are high quality, but the HPS system would be best suited for high performance boats.

Dana Marine Products
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Do you mean replace your existing chain and cable with a rotary steering system?
Or, are you asking if a teleflex helm will work as a chain and cable helm. If that's the question, unfortunately the Teleflex helms will not work with chain and cable.