PDA

View Full Version : Beagle owners... input please.

thumbs
06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
The wife wants a small dog but not a lap/purse dog. We like the Beagles but have a few questions.
1) Do they bark as much as I have heard. My wife does work from home so the dog would not be alone all day.
2) I have heard that they like to run. Does this mean the runaway and don't want to come back until they are ready?
3) Easy or tuff to train?
4) Shedding is minimal?
5) How are they with cats?
6) How are they around the water? We spend 2 or 3 weekends a month at the river and want a dog that we can take with us. No sense in have a dog and leaving at home alone every weekend.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks.

phebus
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
When I was a kid, we had a beagle. That dog was always trying to dig is way out of the yard, and if it heard any noises, it would start howling. Pain in the ass dog that we loved, but I would never get one again.
If I was going to get a new little dog, I would look at the dogs that they are breeding with the poodle. Smart dogs.

Screemy1
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
any dog that you raise as a puppy with training will mold to your lifestyle... barking, water, running.... that can be any dog depending on training.... good luck

kevnmcd
06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
1) Do they bark as much as I have heard. My wife does work from home so the dog would not be alone all day.
Yes! Our neighbors have one and it barks ALL the time. I love dogs (have two of my own) but it does get on my nerves after awhile.
Have you looked at Boston Terriers? Great dogs. They have great personalities, love people, great with kids, very intelligent, and aren't barkers.

djunkie
06-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure about Beagles but I'd look into the Jack Russels. Very smart dogs and easy to train. As long as you get the dog when its a puppy and give it the attention and train them they'll do anything you want. But you gotta be patient and work with them.

rrrr
06-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I keep firecrackers in my garage to throw over the fence at the neighbor's beagle.:mad:
Is this helpful? :D

Nord
06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
If you like a dog that howls and barks a lot, get a beagle. My sister had me take care of her female beagle while she was moving. I had the dog for about 2 months. She was a good dog, but barked and whined at everything. The neighbors hated her. She would do anything I wanted if I had peanut butter. They definately are not a lap dog. I think the Doxie and Labs are the best dogs on the planet, but labs are big, and doxies are lap dogs.
~NORD~

EmpirE231
06-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I had a beagle... loved the dog... just didn't have much time for attention, so I gave her away to someone here on the boards (essex29) I believe. you just have to train em like any dog. mine would stop barking as soon as a called her name. most of the time she wouldn't bark at all... but if I hadn't seen her all day, and get home and go straight to bed, she would bark or howl/ cry a bit.
they are a sniffing dog.. so if you let them out of the yard... and don't pay attention... they will pick up a trail, and off they go!! but mine always listened and came back if I saw her getting too far and yelled for her to get back.
they're a medium hair dog, shed a bit during the season changes, but not too bad.
they just love attention, and to play all day!

2Driver
06-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Wife's family had several beagles. All were a PITA, very destructive, loud, ran off, you name it. Yes they do shed some. If you want to hunt rabbits get one, otherwise stay away IMO.
They are smart. One year the dog figured out how to open the stove a drug out the turkey - I kid you not.
Try an Irish Terrier, pretty cool midsize dog

xs ultra
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Not the type of stuff I like to hear.
We just got a beagle 5 months old now.
Great dog ,And I had another dog I had to get rid of (a Husky ) a dog from hell.
From the three months having him thing are good.And I'm not a dog guy it's the kid dog.Howls a bit just to talk to you not just for nothing.Will not run away when the gates open,smart and seems to learn fast. We have a cat and no fighting, cats the one that may start a fight but for now it run away.
Been swiming in the pool evary day ,we need to put him in hasn't jump in yet.
I hope this might help because it dosn't match up to the rest of the post.
I'm worried now

eliminatedsprinter
06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I lived next door to one as a kid. They are very good natured and smart, but they take a bit more effort to train, to be quiet and not dig and chew etc, than many other dogs. You also have to keep them very clean or they get that "hound smell", because their coat is kind of oily.
In my opinion, if men truley ruled the world, the 15 inch Beagle would be the worlds smallest dog. Pugs and Bostons would exist, but they would be a bit bigger...:D ;)

HM
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Beagles are know for having the ability to find anything with their nose, except their home. They are really not runners, just curious. I was successful at training my Beagle not to go wondering. It helped that she was a bit of a scardy cat so she didn't like to get too far from the security of her home. Gardners left the side gate open on more than one occasion where my other dog got out and my Beagle was always in the yard.
They do shed a little and their hair likes to stick to clothe upholstery and carpet..it is like sticky needles.
My beagle loved the water and did great on my boat. My other dog was scared to death of my river cruiser, but my beagle loved it. She would stand on the bow of the cruiser like a hood ornament...it was so cute!
The thing about beagles is you can teach them to do anything with food. They are very smart (not quite as smart as Jack Russels) and can be stubborn at times if you don't make it clear that you are the alpha.
They don't really bark...they howl. This is also a training issue, but because they howl, it is easy for people to distiguish your dog in a neighborhood of barking dogs.
They can be good with kids, but the breed is known to have problem with kids, especially toddlers and is why I ultimately got rid of my beagle.
Beagles love companionship and are very loyal. Sounds like a good choice for what you want to do. There are a couple different kinds of beagles...I had a 13 inch beagle and the others are 15 inch beagles. Mine was a 13 inch beagle...they are just a little smaller and have small paws.

GunninGopher
06-27-2007, 10:22 AM
My in-laws live 2 blocks away and their stupid beagle is the only howling dog in the neighborhood, and I can hear it. The dog is the biggest puss on the planet, too. That thing will scream bloody murder if you try to pick it up or tap it to move out of the way.
The dog doesn't get much attention, so that might be part of it.
I can't imagine what a beagle would be like at the river, and will never know for myself. I have a lab and at 7 now, she is the best dog in the world. She is quiet, patient, obedient and great around the kids. She'll spend hours swimming after ducks at the river, and loves to retrieve water bottles. She's also fine kicking it on the boat for a few hours when there are too many people around.

TAF
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
and Photo chic has 2 now. Mine was a digger and a runner / leash puller. If you put the time in training them they get better.

photo chick
06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I keep firecrackers in my garage to throw over the fence at the neighbor's beagle.:mad:
Is this helpful? :D
:jawdrop: OMG!!! I have two and my mom has one. None of the three dig, bark a lot or run away.... If you give them love from the beginning and don't leave them outside or alone for long periods of time they'll be fine. They love to chew so buy toys for them. One Beagle loves to walk in shallow water the other hates it but he fell in the pool at 5 weeks old. I absolutely love Beagles and can't say enough good things about them, very smart dogs. The ones who are left alone bark like crazy though, they get separation anxiety!:D

riverbound
06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
If you like a dog that howls and barks a lot, get a beagle. My sister had me take care of her female beagle while she was moving. I had the dog for about 2 months. She was a good dog, but barked and whined at everything. The neighbors hated her. She would do anything I wanted if I had peanut butter. They definately are not a lap dog. I think the Doxie and Labs are the best dogs on the planet, but labs are big, and doxies are lap dogs.
~NORD~
:eek: :eek: :eek:

adjones419
06-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Beagles are great dogs, my dad used to raise them for rabbit hunting. I think, like with any breed, it just depends on the personality of the individual dog. We had one that was very high strung, outspoken, and stubborn...wanted to run until she felt like it was time to come back. Then we've had others who would make great family dogs...calm, quiet, obedient. Get a pup, train it the way you want, and you should be fine.

drbones
06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
We have a Beagle...she is a great dog.. but yes she does like to run...
But will come when called... She like to track...her nose on the ground and following the trail.... She does not bark much..unless someone knocks on the door.. or if she is outside doing her business and is ready to come back in..
I love our little beagle...

rrrr
06-27-2007, 11:40 AM
:jawdrop: OMG!!! I have two and my mom has one. None of the three dig, bark a lot or run away.... If you give them love from the beginning and don't leave them outside or alone for long periods of time they'll be fine. They love to chew so buy toys for them. One Beagle loves to walk in shallow water the other hates it but he fell in the pool at 5 weeks old. I absolutely love Beagles and can't say enough good things about them, very smart dogs. The ones who are left alone bark like crazy though, they get separation anxiety!:D
:D :D
Actually, I useta be pissed at the dog, but I figured out the owners were phuggin' POS that just leave it outside and ignore it.
I should be throwing firecrackers at them. :idea:
PC, it never rained like this until you moved here......:jawdrop: :D

rrrr
06-27-2007, 11:44 AM
She would do anything I wanted if I had peanut butter.........
~NORD~
WOOF!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30645&stc=1&d=1178839962

Old Texan
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I grew up with a 15" and had a couple others. Great friendly, smart just like all have said. But I would not have one if I lived in close proximity to my neighbors unless I kept it in the house. And I personally don't consider them a house dog due to the oily fur odor someone mentioned.
They bark, chew, and dig. If you have any gophers or moles in your yard, a beagle will dig until he finds them. My dog could dig a hole to the point all you saw was flying dirt coming out, completely in over his head. The old man was furious cause the dirt was so scattered he'd have to bring in more to backfill the hole. It was quite funny actually.:D
They are hell on snakes also. They grab a snake and shake him until dead.:devil:

LAFD
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
my buddy has one thing barks at everything. very distinct bark by the way definitly know its his dog by the sound of its bark. but does shut up when told to be quite. do like to wander around never seen it dig up the back yard.

deeee
06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
There good dogs I'm on my second one. They really dont run away they tend to just wonder when they pick up scent. You also have to keep them on strict diets. They love food and will go to the extremes to get into food. As for the howling I think its a hit or miss first one didn't howl second one does howl at things.

STV_Keith
06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
From my parents about their Pocket Beagle:
1. I have heard they do bark alot. However, I got a "pocket beagle", smaller than normal, he does not bark much. Only time he barks is when he is "hunting" or sees/smells another animal.
2. Yes - they are hunters and will run if given the chance. We have an electronic fence and he stays in but if he is not in the yard he will take off and return whenever he feels like it.
3. Easy to train for obedience and tricks; however, had a hard time house training.
4. Shedding is minimal because of short hair.
5. Don't know about cats, my dog just loves every living creature and only wants to play (rabbits, armadillows, turtles, dogs, snakes, squirrels).
6. Unfortunately mine cannot swim. We bought him a life jacket though and he wears it and is fine. He loves the boat and the water.
Basically we are crazy about our dog. He is extremely smart and loads of fun. We are even looking into finding a mate so that we can have one of his puppies. Check out pocketbeagles.com - or google it and there is lots of info on the net. Keep in mind, regular beagles or bigger though. The pocket beagle gets only 12 inches tall and approx 20 lbs.
Makes for a great small dog - at just over 2 yrs old he still looks like a puppy.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33960&stc=1&d=1182976473

One Particular Harbor
06-27-2007, 12:35 PM
And, yes, it does howl whenever they go out of town. It's also a bit of a barker.
Other than that, it seems to have a pleasant personality and has been around children its entire life (though not toddlers).
Bottom line, I do believe some breeds are tougher to train than others, but all will benefit mightly from training. And, from what we've read and seen, Beagles certainly aren't on the bottom of the list in terms of being difficult to train.
OPH

HM
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
3. Easy to train for obedience and tricks; however, had a hard time house training.
Interesting...I was able to train my beagle to be house trained at 9 weeks, and I had only had her for a week. Mine was the small one too, but she is a little chubby in the picture below...as someone else said, you have to watch their diet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/290DCP_0636.JPG

John.
06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I had a beagle when I was in high school. okay dog, but wouldn't ever get one again. Mine was a little nutty. as I remember, house training was easy. she did howl and bark a lot. got out of the yard a couple times and people a couple miles away returned her. we thought that she was too dumb to turn around and track her way back home. high energy dog too. she would run around for hours. did fine with cats. never an issue there.

Cole Trickle
06-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Yes! Our neighbors have one and it barks ALL the time. I love dogs (have two of my own) but it does get on my nerves after awhile.
Have you looked at Boston Terriers? Great dogs. They have great personalities, love people, great with kids, very intelligent, and aren't barkers.
Agreed:)
We absolutely adore our 2 year old 14lb Female Boston.(She goes with us everywhere)
they have great personalities and are smart as can be. They aim to please and don't bark or shed. there also great around kids,adults and other animals.
Also our BT loves to play rough she handles her self like a much bigger dog and prefers playing with big dogs.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491100_0577.jpg

Mountainstone
06-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I grew up with three beagles in a row. First ran off, second died of old age, third ran off. We lived in the country and the dogs were free to roam, so two just roamed on to bigger and better things I guess. They were all affectionate and smart, and good with all us kids. They don't bark, they bay. All the damn time. At the drop of a hat. It was fun as a kid to start baying and the dog would just chime in and keep it up as long as you liked. It was less fun at 5:00 AM when he would hear a noise or see a star and decide to wake everybody in the house to come have a look. I'll never have another one...

HM
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
We absolutely adore our 2 year old 14lb Female Boston.(She goes with us everywhere)
they have great personalities and are smart as can be. They aim to please and don't bark or shed. there also great around kids,adults and other animals.
Also our BT loves to play rough she handles her self like a much bigger dog and prefers playing with big dogs.:D
A friend of mine has had nothing but Boston Terriers and those things never stop barking!!! They are fun to punt tho...:devil:
They are funny as shit when they play/fight with each other...it is like an ugly contest!!!

Cole Trickle
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine has had nothing but Boston Terriers and those things never stop barking!!! They are fun to punt tho...:devil:
They are funny as shit when they play/fight with each other...it is like an ugly contest!!!
huh...Ours veryyyyyy rarely barks. She will growl when someone rings the doorbell but I bet I could count her barks on 2 hands. I have noticed that when non barking dogs are around other dogs they learn to bark.
My mom has Boxer that picked up barking habbits from my moms yorkie. (Damm 100lb dog sounds like a yorkie:jawdrop: )
My dog isn't ugly:D

CarBizIndio
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
If you get a beagle just be prepared.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nrqlzUuPI

photo chick
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Actually, I useta be pissed at the dog, but I figured out the owners were phuggin' POS that just leave it outside and ignore it.
I should be throwing firecrackers at them. :idea:
PC, it never rained like this until you moved here......:jawdrop: :D
Hey...I'm not even there right now and haven't been all week....luckily!!! I hope you stop the rain before I get home!!!

MBlaster
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I have known several beagles.
All were major dumbasses and generally not nice at all.
Our pappilons are pretty cool focking dogs though.

laveydayz
06-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Could not agree more about the Boston. We have a 23lb 2 1/2 yr old male. On the bigger side of the breed. He is an awesome dog. Exactly what you described! I actually bought my dog in Corona. Your female looks very similar tto the mom of my dog. Very inteligent breed.

HM
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
What was the title of this thread? :D

laveydayz
06-27-2007, 08:34 PM
huh...Ours veryyyyyy rarely barks. She will growl when someone rings the doorbell but I bet I could count her barks on 2 hands. I have noticed that when non barking dogs are around other dogs they learn to bark.
My mom has Boxer that picked up barking habbits from my moms yorkie. (Damm 100lb dog sounds like a yorkie:jawdrop: )
My dog isn't ugly:DDitto...Ours never barks.

Nord
06-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Brandon's dog sucks.........stick with a Doxie and you will be happy. :D :D :D

sorry dog
06-28-2007, 05:44 AM
What was the title of this thread? :D
It think it was ... Are Beagle's a pain in the ass?
...which of course they are... If you own one in Canada, there is a highlikelyhood that it will get a tripod planted in its ass at somepoint.

catman-do
06-28-2007, 07:04 AM
We have a Beagle/ Black Lab mix. He is about 1 1/2 years old. Deffinately a lover, and loves to lay in your lap. He is also somewhat decent with the cats.
1) He doesnt bark all the time like some little dogs do, however if another dog is walking by he stands on the steps and barks non-stop!
2) he does like to run, when he gets the "zoomies". However I have trained him fairly well not to run once he gets out. Sometimes he will still take off but usually comes back within 5 minutes. I also take him jogging 2 miles 3-4 times per week.
3) Mine was very easy to train, and continues to be. However, they are stubborn dogs so even though they know how to doesnt mean they will. Ours even knows how to close the back door so I dont have to get off the couch when he needs to o potty!
4) Minimal
5)He spends all damn day in the water. Sometimes it gets anoying how much he wants to swim because he gets too excited when we first get on the water and if i am putting around he will run and jump off the back, im affraid one day he will jump into the prop. We always keep a life jacket on him.
Overall, he is good for the most part. If i had to do it again, i may get another breed. Maybe a smaller one with less maintenance (sometimes he gives you too much stress with how hyper he is)

thumbs
06-28-2007, 08:24 AM
You guys were supposed to help me, not make me more confused. Many mixed reviews, most negative.
our Australian Shepherd was a fantastic dog.
Agreeded. We had one when I was a kid.
Thanks for the input everyone.