PDA

View Full Version : Can I Ride 9 Hours To Havasu ?

SummerBreeze
06-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I want to ride my Harley to Havasu on the 3rd of July But I don't know if I can do the entire ride because of the heat when I arrive into the desert.
You see if I left my place in Minden Nv. at 4:00am it will be dark and the deer are out then and they walk on the roads. Problem...
It will be cold that time of the day so leathers are a must for the first 4 hours of the ride. I would travel down 395 to the 40 and hang a left.
By the time I hit Barstow it might be over 100 and climbing.
I don't know if I can ride the last 3 or 4 hours in that type of heat.
What do you think?:idea:

dicudmore
06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I won't even ride from Vegas to Havasu in this heat...

djunkie
06-27-2007, 09:06 AM
F-That!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd wait till winter time to do that shit.

Mrs.Racer277
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
I am thinking you are going to melt :eek:

andy01
06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I say leave NV at 5 in the afternoon and arrive in Havasu at 12am. Then you avoid the dear and the heat..........

H20 Toie
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
been there done that, no reason to ever do it again. i ride becuase it is fun but during the summer riding in the desert is not fun. take a car and enjoy the ride

Bite the Bullet
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I want to ride my Harley to Havasu on the 3rd of July But I don't know if I can do the entire ride because of the heat when I arrive into the desert.
You see if I left my place in Minden Nv. at 4:00am it will be dark and the deer are out then and they walk on the roads. Problem...
It will be cold that time of the day so leathers are a must for the first 4 hours of the ride. I would travel down 395 to the 40 and hang a left.
By the time I hit Barstow it might be over 100 and climbing.
I don't know if I can ride the last 3 or 4 hours in that type of heat.
What do you think?:idea:
No Problem! Just leave your leathers on across the desert. When you get here, you'll think it's a bit chilly!:D Ice cold beer will be waiting!

H20 Toie
06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
been there done that, no reason to ever do it again. i ride becuase it is fun but during the summer riding in the desert is not fun. take a car and enjoy the ride

Big Inch
06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Don't be a wuss leave at 10 am and you will be there by 7 pm and you can just wear shorts and a tank top the whole way. Maybe even flip flops if you have running boards ;)
No but really... If you decide to make sure you drink plenty of fluids. I've ridden to Vegas and Laughlin during the heat and heat stroke is definitely something to avoid.

HavasuSelect
06-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Stop being a pussy Eric. A little deer or heat never hurt anybody :D

Havasu Luvr
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
It will be in the 100's once you come down into Bishop all the way to LHC. Tollerable as I just did a ride from Apple Valley to June Lake Loop (Mammoth) area.... The worse part is stopping for fuel or a break...then it gets hot:devil:

mondorally
06-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I rode from Bridgeport to Huntington Beach a few weeks back. From Lone Pine to LA it was 100 or so. Lots of stops for water/sunscreen but its doable. I was in a t-shirt & jeans but wished I had a long sleeve shirt. Not sure if you have bags but find a way to bring lots of water! And don't forget to put sunscreen everywhere that is exposed. A friend fried his wrists by forgetting to put sunscreen on the 2" between his gloves and jacket!
-Justin

XTRM22
06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
It's totally doable, We ride outa here every Laborday weekend and head north. The last two hours coming back are always a little tough but not incredibley bad. Enjoy the morning and keep stopping along the way for fluids ( lots) you'll be fine. Now that said, my Harley hasn't seen daylight in 6 weeks, but thats more a matter of the damn street being tore up in front of my house for the new sewer then the heat.
Chuck

XTRM22
06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I won't even ride from Vegas to Havasu in this heat...
Sissy :eek: :eek: :D :D
On that crotch rocket you're only in the heat what an hour 15?
Chuck

Big Kahunaa
06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
get your ladys blow dryer out and hold it in front of yor face for 4plus hrs and tell us if you still want ride out

All-Star
06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Not only would the heat kill you, but you will be so exhausted when you finally get there.
Friend of mine road for 8 hours straight on a bike. Was fine when he got there.... but the second day his neck, arm, back and shoulder muscles were in soooo much pain.
That is to long of a ride in too much heat IMO.:(

dicudmore
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Sissy :eek: :eek: :D :D
On that crotch rocket you're only in the heat what an hour 15?
Chuck
cool then...the key is in it...come up here and ride it back down to the zoo for me :D

Schiada76
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Gee I duuno, the predicted high that day is 118, 125 is not out of the question this time of year.:eek: :sqeyes: :D

MKEELINE
06-27-2007, 10:26 AM
A few weeks back a buddy of mine took a 3,000 mile trip over 6 days, a day and a half of which he logged 0 miles, on his Harley. The last leg of this trek was from Vail, Co. to Huntington Beach and he said the temps ranged from around 40 to 100+. He said the heat sucked, but wasn't that bad. He was in full leathers that had alot of vents in them.
As far as deer go, he said they make a deer whistle that is supposed to deter the deer. He didn't have any trouble with deer, but did almost t-bone a BIG bear.
Good luck with your ride.

Baja Big Dog
06-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Work your schedule backwards, I ride to Havi a lot, nothing can beat the drive across I40 at 7-8PM. If leaving from So Cal.
In your case plan on being in Havi before noon, Period. If your runnin a bagger, remove the leg guards, dont care if they are the new ones that vent, remove them, takes about a half hour. Your gonna see heat after the 14 spilt.
I run electronic deer chasers.
Your time is close, figure your gonna have to make at least 4 fuel stops, and maybe more for water, freeze some bottles before you leave, for that ride I would run about 2 gallons and make sure its cold, I use the Butler bar mounted insulated cup, it is a life saver.
Rig up a sun visor, the sun is gonna beat your eyes to death when it comes up.
Take heat tablets with you.
Long sleeve white shirt is a must.
Take music, the ride from the 14 to Havi is a sleeper....
Damn..wish I were going!!

ANXIETY ATTACK
06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey there we live in Bridgeport and boat Topaz often, if you are ever down that way look for a black Baja. Deer, ya I commute to the marine corps base and there are still deer on the side of the road just waiting to commit suiside and meet you head on! you are looking at a 100 deg. change in weather, the other morning it was in the 20s here in Bridgeport

Quest4Fun
06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
According to Weather.com it is supposed to be 120 degrees on July 3rd and 4th.
Can you install a mister system on your Harley??:D

phebus
06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
The cost of a trailer is cheaper then the cost of a hospital bill. If uncertain, why chance it.

Dan Lorenze
06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I've ridden offroad from Vegas to Reno (530 miles) in a day on my 450, took me less than 11 hours, certainly you should be able to make your trip on a Harley (if it makes it).. :)

SummerBreeze
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I've ridden offroad from Vegas to Reno (530 miles) in a day on my 450, took me less than 11 hours, certainly you should be able to make your trip on a Harley (if it makes it).. :)
OUCH

SummerBreeze
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Hey there we live in Bridgeport and boat Topaz often, if you are ever down that way look for a black Baja. Deer, ya I commute to the marine corps base and there are still deer on the side of the road just waiting to commit suiside and meet you head on! you are looking at a 100 deg. change in weather, the other morning it was in the 20s here in Bridgeport
I went to Mammoth the other day.... it was a bit cold I was in full leathers.
But no deer.
It's hard to go to Topaz Lake ..... I get board with it in about 2 hours