PDA

View Full Version : Motorhome, Fithwheel,Trailer?

Cole
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Which one do I buy.....?
A fifthwheel and park it at the river or havasu and have it there parked all the time...
Or a motorhome and be able to hook up the boat and stay anywhere.
here is my delima...
A motorhome will have the versitility to tow my boat and go any where I want...but will not have the room as a fifthwheel. A fifthwheel has triple slides and much more room inside.
I am considering staying at times a week or two since my job is now in house and i can be anywhere. So the room with a fifthwheel is appealing.
The cost difference is big also....
I am considering used.
A Diesel motorhome will be in the 60-100k range.
I have the hookup on new fifthwheels for around 20K.
Do i buy the versitility of a M/H...and the convience of hooking up the boat and going to different places!!!
Or price and room!!

boatsnblondes
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
A fifthwheel....because it is hitched to your truck, people can ride in it whilst it is being towed.....also, you CAN hitch your boat to the back of a fifthwheel under certain circumstances....check with the CHP on that though....I think there is a length limit....

Run_em_Hard
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to hook your boat up to the fifth wheel?

cxr133
02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
in california you can tow triples...
but i think there is a 65ft. limit and i think you need a modified class a license

Cole
02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
I would have length issues....i think you cannot be over 70 ft.

Run_em_Hard
02-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I have rode with someone(classified material) that has pulled over the limit in Cali with a five'r and a boat. We just went the 55MPH limit and were not bothered.

Cole1313
02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
My wife and I went through this same problem last season.
The motorhome, you have the extra motor to take care of, DMV fees are more, gas is more, overall cost is more.
5th wheel, way more room, cheaper to own, can pull triples if you have the truck. no motor to take of
Camper, to small for the wife and I.
I think you can see what way we are leaning. Still have not pulled the trigger but TOBTEK has a nice one, but I do not know if it is still for sale.

Cole1313
02-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I would have length issues....i think you cannot be over 70 ft.
This is all an urban legend and comes up from time to time. Granted you are not going to be pulling a 32 foot trailer with a 40 ft skater. Find me a truck and I would try. But if you are like most a 28 ft trailer and 21-26 foot boat and you would be fine.

cxr133
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
just copied this from the CHP website:
Towing more than one vehicle with a passenger vehicle or pickup weighing less than 4,000 pounds is illegal. The driver is also required to obtain a Class A (Commercial) license when towing more than one vehicle. (VC Sec. 21715) Vehicles that are towing are required by law not to travel more than 55 MPH regardless of speed limit! (VC Sec. 22406)

Cole1313
02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
just copied this from the CHP website:
Towing more than one vehicle with a passenger vehicle or pickup weighing less than 4,000 pounds is illegal. The driver is also required to obtain a Class A (Commercial) license when towing more than one vehicle. (VC Sec. 21715) Vehicles that are towing are required by law not to travel more than 55 MPH regardless of speed limit! (VC Sec. 22406)
HUH! I know two guys that have towen triples for years with no problems and they do not have a class A

Sleek-Jet
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I drive faster than the posted speed limit... doesn't mean it's legal.
And I think you mean pulling doubles??? Triples means you would have three trailers in tow.

Cole1313
02-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I drive faster than the posted speed limit... doesn't mean it's legal.
And I think you mean pulling doubles??? Triples means you would have three trailers in tow.
Yep Sorry! They have gotten pulled over for speeding. and the cops never said anything about them towing a fifth wheel and a boat.

Hardly Satisfied
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Go with the trailer ,Check with TOBY

Sleek-Jet
02-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Yep Sorry! They have gotten pulled over for speeding. and the cops never said anything about them towing a fifth wheel and a boat.
Sounds like they got lucky. I've had this same argument with a couple other members of this board...
In AZ, you can tow doubles without a Class A as long as the total length is less than 65 feet. CA requires a Class A, but no length limit I believe.

Cole1313
02-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Sounds like they got lucky. I've had this same argument with a couple other members of this board...
In AZ, you can tow doubles without a Class A as long as the total length is less than 65 feet. CA requires a Class A, but no length limit I believe.
As have I, and I have never gotten the right answer. I would think the Class A would be a little overboard, considereing you are driving a Class C truck without Air brakes or jake brake.

Cole
02-15-2006, 12:38 PM
I dont know if I am comfortable with towing double....it just looks like a lot of work.
I also think it would be tough backing up if i were to get into a pinch.
A 30 fifth and a 25' boat might be over kill.

MBlaster
02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
There is no perfect rig.
Compromise, and your individual needs will factor in your decision.
I believe its illegal to have people in your trailer while towing it down the road.
For me motorhome works better since I've got kids.
Take your time and make the choice that works best for you.

cxr133
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
LOL.... more CHP website info:
Passengers in towed vehicles:
It is unlawful for you to tow a trailer coach or travel trailer containing any passenger (properly equipped fifth wheelers are exempted from this restriction).
Passengers transported within a camper must have access to an exit door which may be opened from the inside and outside. (VC Sec. 23129)

BajaMike
02-15-2006, 01:08 PM
LOL.... more CHP website info:
Passengers in towed vehicles:
It is unlawful for you to tow a trailer coach or travel trailer containing any passenger (properly equipped fifth wheelers are exempted from this restriction).
Passengers transported within a camper must have access to an exit door which may be opened from the inside and outside. (VC Sec. 23129)
I wonder what "properly equipped fifth wheelers" means, and I wonder why they are exempt. :confused:
I wouldn't have my family riding in one of those down the highway.....ever seen one in an accident? :idea:
And....I don't think you can back doubles....maybe a few feet...the truckers out there would know....but I don't think it's possible.... :rollside:
:argue:

Captain Dan
02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
I wonder what "properly equipped fifth wheelers" means, and I wonder why they are exempt. :confused:
I wouldn't have my family riding in one of those down the highway.....ever seen one in an accident? :idea:
And....I don't think you can back doubles....maybe a few feet...the truckers out there would know....but I don't think it's possible.... :rollside:
:argue:
I have a friend that let their teenagers ride in their fifth wheel once - it was wild ride back there - they are not made for passenger comfort. Also, if it has slide-outs, they will be in, and infringing on the passenger area.
A trained person can back up doubles, I have seen it.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
02-15-2006, 01:49 PM
I have owned a 5th wheel, trailer, and motorhome. Let's put it this way, I still have a motorhome.
They have the same room as a 5th wheeel with triple slides. More $ yes but it can be a write off. The family will actualy want to ride in it and you don't have to stop to pee every freekin minute. I never wanted to go anywhere but the dunes with my 5th wheel because it was such a pain in the ass. Just buy a crapy trailer to leave at the river and take the motorhome to the beach on the off weekends!!

wedge44
02-15-2006, 01:58 PM
THAT would be a "NON COMMERCIAL CLASS A" I'm looking into it now with the DMV....wedge