RD

YeLLowBoaT
06-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Safe Yes, Legal... No
RD
um its not even safe...

RiverToysJas
06-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I think it depends if he exceeded the weigh limit on the cert card, and if he has lifejackets for all souls on board (I count 12 in the boat and two on the dock).
I've heard of 13 or so on a 21' Lavey....plus Neva and couple coolers. ;) :)
RTJas :D

HM
06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Passenger load calculation by the coast guard is : boat length times boat width divided by 15.
That boat is 20.5 long and 98 inches wide. which equals 11.16 or 11. I have that exact mastercraft and the plate says 11, so the calculation is correct.
But there is also a max weight calculation which is simply the max passengers multiplied by 150 lbs - 1,650 - which is also on the plate of our boat.
Now, these people are not exceeding weight, but they are exceeding passengers. Is it unsafe? How? Boat's handling is not compromised as they are underweight. is someone blocking or hindereing the view of the driver that wouldn't be normally? What kind of driving are the doing...in that pic they are only sitting at a dock. Is the driver seasoned?
I'd say just a stupid post, IMO.

RiverDave
06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
um its not even safe...
uuummmm I'd argue that it is.. People are ballasting those ski boats with 2 - 3000 pds (with lead and water) and still packing them 10 people and coolers with little if any issues..
That guys swimstep isn't even under the water yet, the guys on wakeworld run em ankle deep with ballast and then put people in em!!
RD

RiverToysJas
06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Passenger load calculation by the coast guard is : boat length times boat width divided by 15.
COOL! - 22.75' X 88" / 15 = 133.4 people in my Lavey!!! :D
RTJas :D (yes I know ;) )

killerbeez
06-27-2007, 03:22 PM
The 2 guys on the dock did board the boat and take off up river.It just looked pretty dangerous to me have that many passengers on that small of a boat.I am sorry Holymoly,I did not mean to offend you with my stupid post.

RiverToysJas
06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I am sorry Holymoly,I did not mean to offend you with my stupid post.
Yeah, in the future, if you could run your posts by Holy Moly via PM before actually posting them for the public, that'd be swell. ;)

blown65
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Ive never had that many in my rollbar boat but I have had 6 ppl plus about 2k lbs of ballast and besides being pretty slow it handled pretty darn well. (weight balance is key, lol)

HM
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
The 2 guys on the dock did board the boat and take off up river.It just looked pretty dangerous to me have that many passengers on that small of a boat.I am sorry Holymoly,I did not mean to offend you with my stupid post.
I am not offended by stupid posts, I just point them out. It is my job. I don't write the rules, I just follow them. :D
Were they driving badly or what? Again, how was the situation dangerous? Boat handling is still safe as it is obvious they are not overloaded on weight. Or, you can ignore the questions again and say I am just a big meanie!!! Well, I am really more of a big short meanie!!!
BTW - RTJ overloads loads that boat all by himself. :D

Insurance God
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I probably shouldn't admit this but oh well. :D
I had a similar MasterCraft (1992) closed bow with the same colors. We had so many people in it that the waterline was right at the bottom of the MasterCraft logo (a little deeper in the water than the one in the pic). We were cruising around Long Beach Harbor during the Christmas light parade and didn't have any bad incidents.
I agree with RD :D

Second "PLACE"
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Apparently the 'ol Mastercraft needed more balast. :D

RiverToysJas
06-27-2007, 03:31 PM
:idea: I sh!t bigger than you just this morning!
...and no, you don't write the rules, but I do......so what I said is official. :D

RiverDave
06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Here's a picture of a SERIOUSLY Ballasted and Loaded Sanger V210..
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33964&d=1182987251
RD

Tom Brown
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
uuummmm I'd argue that it is.
... particularly if some or most of them are drunk.

killerbeez
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I am not offended by stupid posts, I just point them out. It is my job. I don't write the rules, I just follow them. :D
Were they driving badly or what? Again, how was the situation dangerous? Boat handling is still safe as it is obvious they are not overloaded on weight. Or, you can ignore the questions again and say I am just a big meanie!!! Well, I am really more of a big short meanie!!!
No they were not driving badly.I do not have a 20.5' mastercraft and I do not know how well they handle and that is why I asked the question,"Is this safe".It did not look very safe to me since I have not seen that many people loaded on that short of a boat before you big short meanie.

HM
06-27-2007, 03:48 PM
No they were not driving badly.I do not have a 20.5' mastercraft and I do not know how well they handle and that is why I asked the question,"Is this safe".It did not look very safe to me since I have not seen that many people loaded on that short of a boat before you big short meanie.
LOL...dont' mind me...Later got me in a mood. Feel free to kick the midget. :D
I'll invite you over for the next midget tossing contest. :D

Nord
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
You don't miss a beat do you Brown........:D

Tom Brown
06-27-2007, 04:45 PM
I try my best to keep up.

Jbb
06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Dont be a hater Brown.....lighten up...have a drink....

rrrr
06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
The driver looks impaired to me. :idea:

Tom Brown
06-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Dont be a hater Brown.....lighten up...have a drink....
After all..... everybody's doing it.

HM
06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
After all..... everybody's doing it.
Only stupid people get in trouble any way.

ratso
06-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Looks to me like he has too many freeloading friends...;)

rrrr
06-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Looks to me like he has too many freeloading friends...;)
LMAO......a dozen passengers and not one brought gas money. :rolleyes: :D :D

termiteguy
06-28-2007, 06:27 AM
nor did they bring any beer or help clean the boat afterwords:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
RD
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

lucky
06-28-2007, 06:35 AM
The most amazing part is they are all white ! lmao ( this ought to go for a page ) and the boat isn't called a Dockson :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-28-2007, 06:37 AM
The most amazing part is they are all white ! lmao ( this ought to go for a page ) and the boat isn't called a Dockson :)
the boat actually looks like it is full of water for wake boarding. Not the people. :idea: :D

lucky
06-28-2007, 06:39 AM
RD
That is the low profile version wit' da 16" boom booms and spinner on the trler ! What in the hell would you ballast a boat like that for ?? someone taking a Richard simmos' class of fatties out for a swim ?

RiverDave
06-28-2007, 01:19 PM
If you serious into wakeboarding then you try to create the biggest wake possible, as well where the weight is distributed helps to "shape" the wake to be more desirable.
From what I understand this guys setup throws a monster wake with a perfect shape. ;)
RD <----- thought it was a pretty cool picture none the less.

RiverDave
06-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Not the same boat (This is a new 23' Epic wakeboat), but this will give you an idea of how big some of the wakes are getting behind these tow boats when they are seriuosly ballasted! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34017&d=1183065614
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34018&d=1183065622
RD

RiverToysJas
06-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Since this turned into a wake boat thread.......I gotta say, I don't like them! Too much wake messing up the water for EVERYONE else. Small private lakes and BIG lakes are one thing, but narrow rivers are quite another.... :mad:
In Ca you are responsible for any damage caused by your wake also! Catching someone and proving it might be dificult, but these 3' waves are just too much IMO.

JB in so cal
06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
This guy just found those wakes:D
(Crazy picture of boat flying through the air, but because the web site I found it on doesn't allow linking, you get this nice desription)

BajaMike
06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I hate when people attach pics vs posting them.......
Here is the original picture....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33962&d=1182984559
My rule for boats and airplanes is, number of available seats/2 = the number of people I let on board, unless of course most of them are hot chicks, then there's always lots of room...

spectras only
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Saw a 21 Supra loaded like it on Okanagan lake once . The guy put it in
reverse at the marina to stop its forward movement :idea: . Took seconds to
take on water at the bow , and only a few seconds more to sink it right
there :D . Hope the guy in this picture won't do the same stupid
mistake with all those young children in the bow ;)

shrek
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
If you want to surf, why dont you just go to the beach?
There are plenty of FREE waves there.........that you dont need a 50k boat to make.
Shrek

RiverDave
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Since this turned into a wake boat thread.......I gotta say, I don't like them! Too much wake messing up the water for EVERYONE else. Small private lakes and BIG lakes are one thing, but narrow rivers are quite another.... :mad:
In Ca you are responsible for any damage caused by your wake also! Catching someone and proving it might be dificult, but these 3' waves are just too much IMO.
I couldn't agree more.. The wave's in those pictures look to be atleast 3'!!
That particular boat weighs 3000 pds dry.. The STOCK ballast system in it adds another 4000 lbs!! On top of people putting in temp ballast bags etc on the floors of the boat etc.. How much is too much? I think we passed that point a long time ago..
RD

HM
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Saw a 21 Supra loaded like it on Okanagan lake once . The guy put it in
reverse at the marina to stop its forward movement :idea: . Took seconds to
take on water at the bow , and only a few seconds more to sink it right
there :D . Hope the guy in this picture won't do the same stupid
mistake with all those young children in the bow ;)
That mastercraft is NO WHERE close to sinking because they are not close to overloading it based on weight.
If a boat takes on water over the nose by simply putting it into reverse...they are overloaded by thousands of pounds...not by being just a little over capacity.

Tom Brown
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
The thing that pisses me off is these assholes with their uber ballast wakeboard boats think they're so much better than those of us who run light. They feel if we can't afford to add 2000 gallon ballast tanks to our boats too, we shouldn't be able to play. Screw them. We have a right to the river too! http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

CarBizIndio
06-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Big short meanie? Is that some kind of slang for a aggravated dwarf who's parents had to much coke and heroin during pregnancy?

HM
06-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Big short meanie? Is that some kind of slang for a aggravated dwarf who's parents had to much coke and heroin during pregnancy?
Nah...it was back when they told pregnant women to have a martini or two to relax - maybe a couple of cigarettes as well. :D
It is tough being 4' 20".

spectras only
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
That mastercraft is NO WHERE close to sinking .
HM , with a low freeboard like that , I wouldn't want to find out , when one of the big m/f's tugboat going by on the river around here :) . I've filled the inside of the 19 Spectra on the second wake of a tugboat ,with only two people on board . Had to wait an hour to dry it before I could start it again eek: All depends were you boat .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_8559.jpg

HM
06-28-2007, 03:54 PM
HM , with a low freeboard like that , I wouldn't want to find out , when one of the big m/f's tugboat going by on the river around here :) . I've filled the inside of the 19 Spectra on the second wake of a tugboat ,with only two people on board . Had to wait an hour to dry it before I could start it again eek: All depends were you boat .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_8559.jpg
That mastercraft is hardly a low free board boat. My Mandell flatbottom, now that was a low freeboard boat! Only a few inches of freeboard while sitting in the water but I did have small splash gaurd that gave me a little more protection.
I have a lot of hours and experience in that exact mastercraft (205). It takes more than just a wave to sink that boat. I have taken waves over the bow on that boat on many occasions, even when loaded, and the boat never came close to going down.
I have had my Mandella in some very rough conditions and you just have to be smart. you see waves coming up from behind while you are sitting...get moving or get turned. I have had some very big waves come over the bow of my Mandella while anchored on the beach and not gone down. I had a ton of water come over the transom on my campbell that sent water into the scoop and hydraulic'd my engine...but the boat was still floating. You have to take on a lot of water to make a boat sink, because if the water from dipping the nose or one wave causes a boat to sink, it was massively over loaded.
The tug boat that sunk your boat probably had serious rollers and probably went over your transom at the heaviest part of your boat?

spectras only
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
HM , saw in your profile before that you have a Mastercraft . I've seen the newer models and they seem to have more freeboard overall :idea: . I saw a 28 footer in Kelowna last year . Now we're talking ;) BTW all tugs here have serious rollers , and no water came over the transom . If I had a venturi windshield like the 20 footers , it may have saved me . Usually gun it by myself and fly over the rollers , but my passenger was a bit of a scaredy cat !

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
This is behind a little old Malibu with no ballast just the wedge down.
The trick to wake surfing is just turning really tight in a small circle to get the wake to roll like a wave. Of course I do this where there is very few boats, usually between Piccacho and Walters.
http://i10.tinypic.com/543r8li.jpg

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 05:28 PM
RD
And those people look like they're f-in freezing. Who would wakeboard when it looks that cold outside?

HM
06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
And those people look like they're f-in freezing. Who would wakeboard when it looks that cold outside?
I have a dry suit for when the water was 53 degrees. It is not bad...your feet are the only thing that get cold/numb. The cool thing is there is no one on the lake pissing and moaning about "Wakeboard boats" when it is that cold. :D

RiverDave
06-29-2007, 09:03 AM
This is behind a little old Malibu with no ballast just the wedge down.
The trick to wake surfing is just turning really tight in a small circle to get the wake to roll like a wave. Of course I do this where there is very few boats, usually between Piccacho and Walters.
http://i10.tinypic.com/543r8li.jpg
So you just keep going around in circles? What do you do when you finally do go all the way around and come up on that roller yourself? Same with the surfer?
By the way those pics above of people wake surfing that boat is going straight.. They ballast it offset to one side to get a big wave on one side of the boat going..
RD

pw_Tony
06-29-2007, 12:35 PM
So you just keep going around in circles? What do you do when you finally do go all the way around and come up on that roller yourself? Same with the surfer?
By the way those pics above of people wake surfing that boat is going straight.. They ballast it offset to one side to get a big wave on one side of the boat going..
RD
No when you go around in a circle it doesn't double up or roll over on yah or anything. Kind of like doing it on a Jetski, doing tight donuts, the waves in the middle hit each other but doesn't leave the cirle, best surfing ever though:D