PDA

View Full Version : Where did you get your start?

40FlatDeck
06-27-2007, 02:51 PM
I read in an old boating magazine that unless a person was introduced to boating by a family member, it was unlikely they would just pick it up.:idea:
So, how did YOU get your start?
I was born in Wisconsin and of course my dad always had a boat. Every weekend during the summer we were on the lake and I was playing at the sandbar. When I was 12 we moved to Tucson and left the boat behind. My dad couldn't afford to bring it so he left it with my grandpa. It was a Glastron CVX 16 and it sat in my grandpa's storage for years..........Fast forward 5 years.........My girlfriend at the time in high school always went to the lake with her parents and one weekend I came along. I almost forgot how fun the water was.:D I asked my grandpa about the Glastron and he told me if I could get to Wisconsin to pick it up, he would give me the Glastron! YES!
My senior year in high school I turned pro (Motocross) and was traveling alot. I just so happened to plan a race that would pass through Shawano Wisconsin and I picked myself up a 1978 Glastron.:D I put about $1500 into her and had a blast!:)
As they say, the rest is history!:D

AZJD
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I cannot remember a day of my childhood that we did not own a boat. 70's 21 Bahner Jet. I remember being 10 and going to Copper Canyon for my 1st time........................:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ever since then I have waited for the day I would have my own boat....

Tom Brown
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
.....I picked myself up a 1978 Glastron.:D I put about $1500 into her and had a blast!:)
I like you, 40FlatDeck. Take two karma points out of petty cash. :cool:

adjones419
06-27-2007, 02:57 PM
My dad was always into jetboats...he had an old Starbuck with a 455 Olds. They also had dragboat races in my hometown (Litchfield, IL) for years until about 1987 (but we're going back to race there this year!). I was born, mom said boat has to go (there's your first clue). Parents got divorced, I moved off to college, and dad wanted to get back into boating. He bought a Hawaiian jetboat, so that's what I cut my teeth on. My dad's best friend races an 8 second Cole hydro, so we started helping them out. I got the fever, but I wanted to jump into boating the right way...bought a Hondo runnerbottom and started racing! Like you said, the rest is history...we even have our own hot boat club here at the local lake and hold an annual performance boat show. Now I'm living to dragboat race and spend time on the lake...I think it's a disease.

squirt'nmyload
06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
i was born in pittsburgh,pa and spent pretty much every summer on the rivers there also with a trip every year to lake erie and ocean city, md. our family had ski boats, cabin cruisers, sea doos, canoes, kayaks you name it :D :D it was cool to boat around the point downtown but i especially liked going up north on the alleghney. very nice country up there.:)

Water Romper
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
My folks never owned a boat, as a matter of fact, we didn’t even know anyone that had a boat (ski OR fishing):(
Then, when I was about 18, a couple friends had ski boats (Sleek Crafts and Bakers) I went for my first ride and that was it…I was hooked.
30 years later, I have my lil’ trusty 18 footer and still enjoy every minute on it.:D

havaduner
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Born and raised in So Cal, and my dad had boats since before I was born. Some outboards, then an 18' Eliminator bubble deck. He drug that boat and us all over the country, then one day, decided he liked Havasu the best, and for just about as long as I can remember, thats where we've done the majority of our boating. Dont see myself ever spending to much time on any other lake.

Magic34
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Grew up with them in Vegas on Mead (32 spectre), and my dad started building boats. He owned the 34 Silverwing and mold. Sold that to Bud at Hallett and the 34 they had for years was our boat mold from when we were little.
Parents got divorced and in 94 my dad got a 34 Hallett. That brought me back into the boating life. Then I got some jet skis when I was 15. Next summer after that, my mom and step dad got a 20' reinell. After getting a boat, never touched the jet skis again, sold them a year later.
My mom/step dad bout a 96 Sleek, and I got my first boat, a 01 Magic 29' Wizard at 21 years old. Had a boat ever since.

76ANTHONY
06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
g/f bought a jetski and said look what i got, so the next weekend we took it out and met some freinds in blythe, rode that thing one time and decided i hated it, one of her freinds had a jetboat, loud as hell and fast too, so i went out and bought a boat and said, look what i got:D

40FlatDeck
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Nice! Keep them coming!:D

Havasu_Dreamin
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
My dad's best friend bought a '67 Tahiti with a Merc 100 clamped on the back. My first boat ride was at 6months of age.....I always knew I'd own a boat someday.....

Dave C
06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I was standing around bored one day drinking beers during my teenage years. Then someone informed me that one could go to the lake, run a loud ass open header big blocks, drink and party alot in the sun. Oh and half naked women were there too...... :eek: :D Really I said. The rest, as they say... is history....:D
I ain't go no dough but I bought a beater jetski, kept breaking, sold it. Still no money but bought a beater jet boat, kept breaking, sold it. Still with very little cash bought another jet boat This one ran and got us out there. Lucky I can turn a wrench because it broke also and still not having any cash I had to fix it which I did and we were back out there again.
5 boats later we are still out there...
I cannot put a price tag on all the good times. Lets consider them priceless.

40FlatDeck
06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I like you, 40FlatDeck. Take two karma points out of petty cash. :cool:
CVX16 with a OMC 140, brown with big gold flake!:D My dad had a company in Wisconsin put a small Rajay turbo on it. It even has a intercooler! We used to have to stand up and lean over the bow to get it on plane if the boat was packed. I sold it to a buddy, who sold it to a buddy, and it still runs strong today! We had the best times in that boat, brings a tear to my I.:D

Riverbass
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
My grandfather in a 19' wooden chris craft v-drive boat on lake arrowhead in the late 60's

Tom Brown
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
My first boat was a CVX-16 outboard. Today I run .... the very same CVX-16 outboard. :D

Boatcop
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Boating has been a part of my family since the 1800s. My Great Grandfather started the Anderson Fish Company on Lake Superior in the late 1800s, after coming to the US from Sweden on a Scandinavian Tall Ship in 1880. My Father, Grand Father and Uncles, as was I, were all part of either the Coast Guard, US Lifesaving Service, or the Lighthouse Service. For them, boating wasn't recreation, but a way of life.
http://www.jacksjoint.com/anderson.htm
I got into boats with the Sea Scouts in the early 1960s. Mostly sailing and seamanship stuff, but got into powerboats when we started coming to the River in 1965. I joined the Coast Guard in 1975, which got me into the Boating Safety and Enforcement field.
The rest, shall we say, is history.

barbigrl
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Mead...when I was like 5

CarBizIndio
06-27-2007, 03:41 PM
I love banging good looking drunk woman, and it turned out the lake was the best place for it so I bought a boat. :D

Stoneman
06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
My folks never owned a boat when I was a kid, but my best friend folks had a 15ft trihull open bow with an 85 evinrude on the back. I grew up on the mississippi river near Hannibal Mo. Mark Twian/ backward ass type of place. Anyway my friend and I would spend entire weekends on the river boating, fishing, and camping. we would go with friends or sometimes by ourselves.
Thinking back, I'm suprised my parents let us go out by ourselves, we were only 15.
Every year we would know one or two people that drown in that sewer, but lucky for us, none of us ever got hurt.

Hotcobra270
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
two years ago I went to havasu for the first time. My friend's buddy had a 23 foot cobra. We hung out and ran up and down the lake at 63 mph, which I thought was hella fast for a boat; I was totally hooked on boating. The next month I bought a 95 reinell 19 footer as my first boat. I loved that thing and I learned alot about docking and launching with it.
Last year I got my current boat..

Wavemaker
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
My parents never had a boat while I was going up. My uncles had a place in Balboa, CA and the other in Lake Arrowhead. As a small kid from toddler age on up we spent a couple of weeks most summers at Balboa, CA sailing and riding in various outboard boats about 16' and 19'. Finally my uncle bought a 19' boat with a small block V8 and outdrive and I remember my cousins and their cute neighbor girls waterskiing in the back bay. I never got to try waterskiing, and I was never asked by my cousins if I wanted to learn.
My other uncle that had the house in Lake Arrowhead, had my family visit for Memorial Day when I was in Jr. High age. I remember meeting Rudy Ramos and seeing his assume Raysoncraft participate in the Sunday evening waterski-ski races. I was impressed ! After being invited to visit several weekends that summer, we had the most fun hanging out on the docks, (all the kids were called wharf rats by the parents), riding in whomever's boats as the flag man for skiing etc. Finally my uncle made my brothers and I take turns learning to ski. Picked it up in one day. My labor day weekend I could ski around the entire lake without falling. I decided to save my money to buy my own boat on the way home from the lake after that Labor Day weekend. I begged my Dad to stop the car as we passed a Mondello V-Drive flatbottom that was parked at the gas station in Arrowhead village with a for-sale sign. The price was $4500.00. Dad just said said " Save your nickles and dimes son. Someday you'll have a boat." When I started working, I started a "boat fund" savings account and put away $100.00 each month. My first boat was a Hondo 19" jet boat. My current boat is a 21 Schiada V-Drive. Happy days!!!
Now I am the one that invites my friends to water-ski and I no longer have to wait to be asked to go.

RitcheyRch
06-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I got hooked after going to the river a few times with my buddy in his Stoker plus trying to find something could do with my Daughter during the Summer when she was in town.

HM
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
My parents were river rats back in the day. My mom put a hole in the side of one of their boats with the tail fin of their car when she tried to make a u-turn on a narrow road.

DEMOMAN
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I was born in Montana. My entire family went in together on a lake front property on Flathead Lake. We would spend every weekend from Memorial Day thru Labor day at the lake. It stays light there so late in the summer that I can remember water skiing at 9:30 pm. I swear there would be 15 of us kids lined up in sleeping bags on the lawn sleeping 20 ft from the water. Those summers are the best memories of my life. Living in San Diego means a 5 hr drive to the lake but its worth every minute. I hope these river trips give my daughter the same memories and love for the water that I have.

Bahner tunnel
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I love banging good looking drunk woman, and it turned out the lake was the best place for it so I bought a boat. :D
Holly cow it's my lost twin!
Actually bought my first jet at 17. A 19' Omega with a popped Olds 455 for 2K, it had a bitchen paint job at least. Had the motor repaired, took it out to the river and blew it up in the first hour, boy I was hooked.:D
The first boat I remember riding in was a Tri hull with a 115 Merc at Senator wash when I was around 12 ,it felt like a rocket ship, probably ran 40mph tops but it was sweet.
About 8 boats later I'm still drawn to the wise investment that comes with Jet boats and high performance motors in general. I have progressed on selling the old boat when it got boring and adding whatever cash I could pull out of my ass at the time to get the next one. Works like a champ.
Oh yea an added plus is that chicks dig clean boats, and drunk chicks dig fat guys in clean boats.:D

Nord
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
My parents were "Parker Trash" before I even was born. When I was hatched, they bought a 20.5' LaJolla. The boat builder went out of biz after building a couple of boats. It was a great boat. I started out by camping out in Havasu at all the coves. That was really roughing it. No trailer, no house. Just the great outdoors. We would throw up a tarp, use cots(sp?) for beds, and sleep under the stars every night. I used to love putting a bell on our fishing poles and waking up in the dead of night with a huge catfish on. Now.............I stay at RD's and am spoiled rotten.:D
~NORD~

Xlration Marine
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
This is a good one, the tread that is.
We grew up with a river in the back yard and a swimming pool, in Up State NY. My Father couldn't swim and HATED the water. But yet he had it all around us, oh no boat yet. My parents had some good friends that had a camp in Canada, on the water. And a Nieghbor had one down the street from them, all good friends. This lake was wild, it would blow Havi away. You could walk out about a mile and the water was up to your waiste. And off in the didstance you could see the Ocean Liners heading down the Sea Way. Lake St. Clair I think it was called. Any way a mile out they had a sand bar that everone would hang out at. The women out there, chit they would put Havi to shame today. And this was 20 years ago. Sheer Sheer Sheer, all of them. Well the people had a 10' jon boat that my little brother and I would use when we went over there to spend a weekend or just to visit for the day. Jack sold me that boat for $20.00. And that was the start of my sickness. I built my first Plug inside a rental town home in Mesa. I would bring it inside to work on and put it outside before the wife came home. Bondo and saw dust inside the living room, boy was she pizzed. I could care less about going out on the water, I just love to build Boats.

Jbb
06-27-2007, 04:45 PM
I sold a kidney to buy a cool lookin jet boat....seemed like the thing to do at the time...:)

Tom Brown
06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/jetski.jpg

Havasu1986
06-27-2007, 05:04 PM
I started going to Havasu with my buddies in 82'. I bought a 76 Anthony and the day I bought it and brought it home (still living at home like Djunkie). My friends took all the seats out and threw them in the trash. My buddy Rick said his cousin Greg Shoemaker (Hot Boat Jet Tech) had a friend that was doing upholstery by the name of Cliff Lotz who would start up Caliber 1 Boats later. After that boat I bought a 22 Mantra Ray. In 1986 I bought my 1st house in Havasu. In 94 I meet my wife on the lake who had a new 21' Caliber 1. My Mantra Ray never seen the water with me again. In 98' we bought a new 25' Eliminator Eagle which they used in the L.A. Boat. Still trying to figure out my next boat.

AirtimeLavey
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Ex-girlfriend and other friends about 15 years ago. Bought my first jet boat about 8 years ago. On my 2nd boat. Will always have some sort of boat. Eventually, will have the Catalina/Cruiser ocean boat. :D :D

Jbb
06-27-2007, 05:09 PM
That shot always brings in the chickage Tom!!!:D

photo chick
06-27-2007, 05:16 PM
That shot always brings in the chickage Tom!!!:D
Man you have a big head!.....:D

Mandelon
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
My folks were old and rarely did anything fun like boating. I think we camped once when I was a kid.
I always thought it looked like fun and one day I just went and bought a little 16 foot Bayliner Capri with a 85 HP triple outboard. That was 16 years ago, we've had four boats, and one jetski since.
Now my kids couldn't imagine not having a boat.

HPBoats83
06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Ever since I can remember (and I'm only 23) we owned a boat. Parents had a second house in havasu. I have just been always on the water and was never happier. My dad passed when I was 18 and had to then start bribing people to get on their boat and finally said fock this and bought my first boat 2 years ago. It is the current boat I own a 24 Team Hawaiian.

zudnic
06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
My parents bought a house on the beach so grew up 100 yards from the Pacific. Started out at 7 or 8 with a 12ft. Zodiac with 9.8merc egg beater that I could play with by myself. At 13 playing with a Sea Ray and or my Dad's 22 Whaler cuddy that I latter inherited. Almost every relative on my Dad's side also served Navy. My Grand Father left North Dakota in 1939/40 with hopes of joining the RAF, somehow ended up with the Royal Navy on Corvette's (I think) in the Atlantic. My Dad also ended up in the Navy as did his Brother's guess the mariner thing is kind of in the blood.....

Slow What
06-27-2007, 05:32 PM
It's a Jet Ski with training wheels :eek: :D

Slow What
06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
My Mom's side of the family has a looong history at Martinez , so you could say I grew up going there , But what's funny is we all slowly got out for one reason or another (I was married to a dream killer , dont suggest that to anyone) but in the last few years I have been back and loving it and my girls live for the river trips :D

Zaairman
06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Grandpa always had boats while I was growing up. Some of my earliest memories are of us out on the boat at Table Rock Lake. He died about 7 years ago. Boat got sold, and I was boatless. Bought my Tahiti 1 1/2 years ago, and its been the best purchase I've ever made. It has brought me tons and tons of fun and memories, and has been on several family vacations. That is what its all about folks...

Glamasu
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
1974 I was 6 weeks old my first boat ride in a 18" wright jet boat on Havasu .My parents bought a place in Havasu Landing in 1968 and was there till about 1990 or so then went to the AZ side and they just sold there place there and now I have my familys second home in Topock. I Have grown up through my 33yrs on Havasu....I started with a Biesmeyer 17' Flat and after several header hickys later decided to try a outboard and found a 18' Kona...Pretty cool...Then got greedy and bought a 25' warlock sxt with a paul phaff motor...After almost flippin that decided that maybe one of these fibeglass pontoons would be fun...then came the 26' advanatge party cat...ran that for many yrs and recently decided I needed to go faster and currently running a 28 magic sceptor.....And I see my next boat not fitting on a trailer...

Ion
06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I read in an old boating magazine that unless a person was introduced to boating by a family member, it was unlikely they would just pick it up.:idea:
So, how did YOU get your start?
Until I moved to Havasu in late '99 (from the Chicago area), I never had a boat, nor did I know anything about this town, ie. boating, gilrs gone wild, london bridge, et.al. The first person I met told me if I planned on living here, I absolutely needed to get a boat. By January of 2000, I had one.

Boatcop
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I have a feeling that a certain Idiot is going to have a field day with this.
:D

ClownRoyal
06-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I was born in Montana. My entire family went in together on a lake front property on Flathead Lake. We would spend every weekend from Memorial Day thru Labor day at the lake. It stays light there so late in the summer that I can remember water skiing at 9:30 pm. I swear there would be 15 of us kids lined up in sleeping bags on the lawn sleeping 20 ft from the water. Those summers are the best memories of my life. Living in San Diego means a 5 hr drive to the lake but its worth every minute. I hope these river trips give my daughter the same memories and love for the water that I have.
Flathead Lake is awesome. Please tell me you still have the waterfront place so I can come and visit. :D

ClownRoyal
06-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I was raised on a lake and was operating boats and backing up trailers when I was 10. We had a resort on Newman Lake, WA (by Spokane, WA) and rented fishing boats, water ski boats, and sold gas on the lake. I got to clean the boats in between rentals:mad: . We had 10 water ski rentals in the best of days. 14-16 Fiberforms with 55-90 Evinrudes, Johnsons, and Mercs. $75 plus gas for all day - 8 hours - or $10 an hour. That was from 1968 thru 1980. Dad had flatbottoms at the same time. Had a Wickens, Sanger and a couple of others. He had several friends with flatbottoms and they would always race up and down the lake. One such friend was Drew Backland (www.drewmarine.com) - the guy who now makes shotgun exhaust and builds engines for Nascar. Anyway back to the subject. Those were the days. When you are a kid it all seems so easy. Now...it is just one big-ass boat payment. But still have the passion. Read my sig.

79centurion
06-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Never had a boat when I was younger. My dads friend had a bass boat we would go fishing(I am from michigan) sometimes in the summer. Never really got interested in them until my buddy took me out on his jet boat. I was into cars(had and still have 69 firebird). I talked him into putting the bottle on his boat. We took it off my car and put it on his boat and I went out with him and was pretty much hooked after that. I bought a v-drive 2 months later.
Dan

Hopdaddie
06-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Parents had a 28' Duracraft Pontoon boat. Had a 115 Johnson on it. That thing would pull 2 skiers. We were always at Roosevelt Lake. Parnets had it dried docked up at Roosevelt Lodge back in the day. Last time it was on the water was in '90 when I graduated highschool. Dad was in Hawaii working and Mom let me take a bunch of friends to the Lake for Graduation. About 3 years ago for my Birthday I decided it was time to buy my 1st boat. Found my 19' Spectra and now take my kids out with me every chance I get. They are now HOOKED.
Ahhhh
THE Memories!!! :D :D

Brownie
06-27-2007, 07:57 PM
My folks bought a 14' Hughes Craft aluminum flat-bottom fishing boat with a 40 horse Merc about the same time I was born (I'm 34). They used to wrap me up in a blanket and stuff me under the bow while they were fishing for bass, walleye, trout, catfish, even sturgeon. They said I slept like a rock under there! I got an early start on the water :D :D
That boat was designed for river manuevering...with a stick for steering instead of a wheel. I used to think it was so fast when I was a kid, going maybe 30 at best.
They still have that old boat...dad and I always take it out when we go up to visit.

wolfie
06-27-2007, 07:57 PM
I grew up in So. Cal. My dad had always had fishing boats and ran a small charter out of Wilmington. The one I remember most was a 30' Luhrs. I grew up going to Catalina and up and down the coast fishing. My uncles and aunts had boats as well, so I spent a lot of time with cousins. By the time I was 10 hed had bought a 17' Glasspar so that we could go to the lake as well as head to the island with the big boat. The first time I went to Havasu I was 13. We had taken the glasspar which up until then thought was a pretty cool boat. Then I saw my first Campbell. I fell in love with that boat. I had always wanted a cruiser after that. As I grew up I had purchased a 26' Owens from my uncle, so I stayed in touch with my boating heritage. Every so often I would get the urge to buy a lake boat. I almost bought one through my cousin, but never went though with it. It wasn't until recently that the yearnings that I had as a teen emerged. We found the Eliminator and I was sold. This is my first lake boat.

BadKachina
06-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I have a feeling that a certain Idiot is going to have a field day with this.
:D
Oh, and I think it's going to be good.;) I see alot of potential there.:D

BadKachina
06-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I've never seen a 440/550 with f-n bumpers on it.........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D :D :D

98 Vector 21
06-27-2007, 08:39 PM
My dad always told me in was in the back of my Grandfather's Rambler! :)

mobldj
06-27-2007, 08:44 PM
rick(no digg)in the summer of 1994 at the echo lodge resort,downhill from there,started out with my 16 ft tahiti,then bought his bayliner from him(yes he had a bayliner),then went up to a 24 ft rinker deck boat and now the cheetahfast cat.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I got my start with boating since I was born. My father worked at Crist Craft in Marina Del Rey and he was also partners with Jeff Blosdale( RIP)
he use to take me on test runs to catalina in my car seat. started sking when I was 6 and the rest is history.:D :D

Thorsinc
06-27-2007, 08:59 PM
I knew I belonged on the water when I saw the episode of Happy Days - Fonzie Jumping the shark :crossx: . But it was my grandpa that gave me the gene to be on the water, and piss money away. The rest came from the milk man.

Riverdog1
06-27-2007, 10:39 PM
My dad was always into jetboats...he had an old Starbuck with a 455 Olds. They also had dragboat races in my hometown (Litchfield, IL) for years until about 1987 (but we're going back to race there this year!). I was born, mom said boat has to go (there's your first clue). Parents got divorced, I moved off to college, and dad wanted to get back into boating. He bought a Hawaiian jetboat, so that's what I cut my teeth on. My dad's best friend races an 8 second Cole hydro, so we started helping them out. I got the fever, but I wanted to jump into boating the right way...bought a Hondo runnerbottom and started racing! Like you said, the rest is history...we even have our own hot boat club here at the local lake and hold an annual performance boat show. Now I'm living to dragboat race and spend time on the lake...I think it's a disease.
YUP, it's a disease there is no cure for.:D My first boat ride was 6 months old. 15 1/2' wood direct drive with a 327 chevy. 3 boats later (18 ft cathedral hull, 21 foot Tahiti Day Cruiser and 18.6' Sundance (which I ended up buying), I got the fever. The group always took up the whole cove at Hogan with 8 or 9 jet boats when I was a kid. I always loved that, seeing all the hot jets sitting there. I got the Sundance to 74 mph when I was done, just by doing the bottom and pump. Then I bought the one I own now from a friend of mine. As soon as my tage get here, I will never be home:D All my life I've been on boats and it's in the blood.

plaster dave
06-27-2007, 10:52 PM
I have been boating since 1974 when I was born. My dad had a glass bar s/p with the flat front that if you can believe some one stole it from us 2 days before we were leaving for the river. It took less then a year to get a 21’ mini day cruiser. Then he went a bought a 21’ Sea Ray.
I got my first boat in 1995 it was a 1974 18' sleek craft jet with a 455 Pontiac not Olds. Then I got a 1975 18' Southwind with a Norm Grimes 460 ford very fun boat and rode very nice in the chop for a jet. Then I got my 2000 26' Howard Cat in 2004.
I don’t think I will ever stop boating I love it too much.

40FlatDeck
06-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I knew there would be some great storys! What a impact the lake made on us as children. It was said earlier, I can only hope when I have kids they can have as good as time growing up at the lake as I have.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I knew there would be some great storys! What a impact the lake made on us as children. It was said earlier, I can only hope when I have kids they can have as good as time growing up at the lake as I have.
Ditto..:D

catman-do
06-28-2007, 08:40 AM
We rented a house boat on Shasta every year when I was little and had a family reunion so I always associated boating with family and fun.

Danhercules
06-28-2007, 08:42 AM
My Father had a Bayliner, twin volvo pinta's in Newport. Also took me to the river when I was a few years old. My brothers got a stand up jet ski when they first came out. Later one of my brothers got a Rogers jet boat that hauled ass. I guess the rest is history.:D

eliminatedsprinter
06-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Around the time of my birth, my dad finished building a mahogany decked runnabout that he started from an unfinished mold. One day when I was 10 years old and we were on a trip to my great aunt's house on Lake Minnatonka my dad tossed me the key and said be back in 1/2 hour. I've loved to be on the water ever since.

jbtrailerjim
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
I've been boating my whole life. My dad has always owned a boat for as long as I can remember. His father turned him onto boating when he was a kid. The first boat I can remember my dad owning was a 16' Crestliner he bought from a buddy of his. We used the hell out of that boat. I have a lot of good memories as kid growing up going to the lake and the river with my family. I bought my first boat in 1992 and haven't been without one since.

Quest4Fun
06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
My first boating experience was when I was 14. My best friend's family owned boat dealerships in La Habra and W. Covina(I think) and I would go with them to mostly Lake Mead because her grandparents lived in Meadview. This was around 1975 I guess. :eek: After my first trip, I was hooked!
I also experienced my first Bloody Mary and cigarette that weekend. Thank god I gave up the cigarettes, but not the Bloody Mary's! See what the river can do to a person!:D

Devilman
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Lotta cool stories, good thread....
My grandparents lived on Lake Mathis (which is now more known as Lake Corpus Christi to some) for years. They had a mid '70s Glastron C/V with an OB Merc, blue & silver metalflake. Parents had an old yellow tri-hull of some sort with an Evinrude on it. Not sure which boat I actually learned to ski behind, but spent lots of summer weekends down there on that lake. When we weren't there, we were running up & down the Lavaca/Navidad River, old-school camping weekends. Couple different families all loading tents & camping junk to make our way up river & find a suitable place to pitch a tent, unload & enjoy a weekend skiing & boatriding....
But, it was always at my grandparents lake place, where us kids would be messin around out in the water & at the sound of the jetboats out on the lake we would stop what we were doing & watch 'em cruise by. Been around boats most of my life, but always figured I'd have a jetboat if I ever bought a boat of my own, couldn't get over the sound of the sound of the bigblocks. Even got one with big-ass metalflake in it.:D
Now I get to pass those experiences along to my grand-daughter. Shes 2 & loves to be in a boat already. If she hears something loud, she says, "Boat? Boat?" LMAO I love it....... :D :D

BADBLOWN572
06-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Grandparents bought a house in Parker Circa '76 ish. I was born in the summer of '79 so I was out there at 1-2 months old. Been around boats since that time. Dad always hung out with a bunch of boat racers and started representing (legal) a lot of the manufacturers. They bought a Crusader in '79 with a blower motor and ran that until '87. At that time, they bought a new Carrera jet. They had that boat for about 18 years.
My mom has a picture of me at less than a year old sitting on Greg Shoemaker's lap driving a blown gas flat. :)

707dog
06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
ALL STARTED FROM A FAMILY CAMPING TRIP AT LAKE BERRYESSA WHEN I WAS 10, MY UNCLE HAD A OLD 19' BLUE WATER WE ALL PILED IN IT AND WENT OUT ON THE WATER THEY ALL GOT SHIT FACED AND WAS LOOKING AT EACH OTHER LIKE WHOS DRIVING...ALL EYES AIMED AT ME AND I REMEMBER THE WORDS.."HEY YA LIL FOK YOUR THE CAPTAIN WHERE WE HEADED"::D FROM THERE ON OUT I WAS THE CAPTAIN EVER TRIP FOR A FEW YEARS WHILE THEY GOT HAMMERED...GOT MY FIRST BOAT AT 18YRS OLD 20' TAHITI MINI DAY CRUISER WITH A OLDS 455 TAN AND BROWN WITH THE FAT AZZ METEL FLAKE WHAT A EXPERIANCE THAT WAS :eek: !! BUT HAVE MY FAMILY HAS BEEN HOOKED ON BOATING AND ENJOYING THE WATER EVER SINCE AND HAVE ALL PLANS ON PASSING IT ALONG TO MY LITTLE ONES..

2Driver
06-28-2007, 10:33 AM
My family had a water front summer home on the Chesapeake growing up. Lots of boating skiing, scuba etc. Dad taught us all to ski, boat,swim etc. Moved to Havasu in 1984

yopengo
06-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a great story...but you will have to wait. I am off to Havasu….:D
Lets just say it involved a young lad, Buckskin State Park and a naked pregnant 20 something girl...:eek: :D

Ziggy
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Never had a boat in the family.
When we moved to Oceanside there was lots of open area so motorcycles were the first thing.........still, never a boat. One of our employees had a boat a brought it to a company picnic we had in Mission Bay....my first boat ride.
Still, never a boat in our family.
Late 70's:confused: , probably very ealy 80's a buddy got a POS Owens cabin cruiser that was docked at SeaWorld Marina..........we partied our asses off on that thing wherever it took us in the bay...soon a jetski followed and that got me into watersports.
Got my own Jetski and had fun for years with that, soon was the first boat, then a second, then a 3rd and now on my 4th....

old flat
06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Growing up around Fresno, Ca. I thought everyone owned Sangers, Belmonts, Bischoffs, and Kurtis flats or ski hydros. I didn't know what a jet was till I was in high school (circa 1969), first boat, old, old, old, Sanger flat (did I mention it was real old) most fun boat, Miller flat, best boat, Biesmeyer flat (ex circle boat). Meeting me was how my wife started boating. Know alot of real good boat people, some have passed, RIP, but it's been a good trip. Now I'm pleased, or proud to say both of my sons own boats, one flat, one hydro: Can you tell we v-drive? Oh well give me a holler if you see me at the lake or the drags. ... STEVE ...

old flat
06-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Growing up around Fresno, Ca. I thought everyone owned Sangers, Belmonts, Bischoffs, and Kurtis flats or ski hydros. I didn't know what a jet was till I was in high school (circa 1969), first boat, old, old, old, Sanger flat (did I mention it was real old) most fun boat, Miller flat, best boat, Biesmeyer flat (ex circle boat). Meeting me was how my wife started boating. Know alot of real good boat people, some have passed, RIP, but it's been a good trip. Now I'm pleased, or proud to say both of my sons own boats, one flat, one hydro: Can you tell we v-drive? Oh well give me a holler if you see me at the lake or the drags. ... STEVE ...

old flat
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM

CampbellCarl
06-28-2007, 12:31 PM
My earliest recollection was Dad's 15' plywood runabout named "Fiskern" ( I think Danish for Fisher) that was powered by (are your ready ***boaters!) a 12 hp Hyawatha outboard. He used to run to Catalina in that thing! Next, a second 12 hp Hyawatha, WOW twins! Next the Hyawathas went away and a bright white 35 hp Mercury hung on the back. He used to take me to Cottonwood Cove circa 1960 or so and spend a week camping and fishing out of that boat. He had a homebuilt galley that had a colman stove etc. Next was a '64 16' Glasspar Avalon with a 75 hp Evinrude (remember the push button shifter dealio?). Next was '69 18' Mark Twain with a 160 hp MerCruiser, wow this was like a Cadillac to us! I bought that boat as my first when folks bought '79 23' Pierce Arrow sportfisher (looked like a SkipJack) with a Volvo 280, Chevy 350. Since then, I've begun my current collection of boats, 75 Howard DayCruiser, 59 Campbell in my avatar, 28' Campbell Cruiser and a couple of whaka's. Lots of memories!
CC

bocco
06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Clear Lake, California in the early sixties. Family friends had a place on the water. Learned how to ski behind an all wood 56 Chris Craft 21' on an all wood Maharaja ski that was actually flat on the bottom. Used to wake up in the morning to the sound of the local Rayson Crafts running on the smooth morning water.

lalhc
06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Mid 70's shore camping around Cottonwood Cove w/dad and neighbor. My neighbor is the one that had a boat.

40FlatDeck
06-28-2007, 02:34 PM
My earliest recollection was Dad's 15' plywood runabout named "Fiskern" ( I think Danish for Fisher) that was powered by (are your ready ***boaters!) a 12 hp Hyawatha outboard. He used to run to Catalina in that thing! Next, a second 12 hp Hyawatha, WOW twins! Next the Hyawathas went away and a bright white 35 hp Mercury hung on the back. He used to take me to Cottonwood Cove circa 1960 or so and spend a week camping and fishing out of that boat. He had a homebuilt galley that had a colman stove etc. Next was a '64 16' Glasspar Avalon with a 75 hp Evinrude (remember the push button shifter dealio?). Next was '69 18' Mark Twain with a 160 hp MerCruiser, wow this was like a Cadillac to us! I bought that boat as my first when folks bought '79 23' Pierce Arrow sportfisher (looked like a SkipJack) with a Volvo 280, Chevy 350. Since then, I've begun my current collection of boats, 75 Howard DayCruiser, 59 Campbell in my avatar, 28' Campbell Cruiser and a couple of whaka's. Lots of memories!
CC
Jesus, I think you need a few more boats!:D I started with the before mentioned Glastron (my only v bottom), then came my first tunnel, a 1992 Mirage Jaguar with a big 2.5 Merc on the back ( I loved that boat), next was a 1998 HTM for a year or so(great boat), a 2003 36 Spectre for a year or so(my first true tunnel), and then the best for last, my current ride, a 2000 40 cut down Skater.:D
I found another Mirage though and I am hoping on making the deal soon. :)

spectras only
06-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Got hooked on boating around 1954 . Friend of my brothers worked for the
fisheries in the old country , working on the Danube & the Tisza rivers .
He had an aluminum boat with a contraption you guys seen in one of the
007 movie with Roger Moore in it . The difference was , my friend's boat had
a 4 cyl VW aircooled engine grafted on a long shaft tube . It was
mounted on a pivot at the stern , and you had to be a strong m/fer to
hang on to this thing . It handled like a dream with forward only . Top speed
was prolly around 40-50 km/h . Never been boatless since :) :D

cvonscpa
06-28-2007, 03:22 PM
When I was a young kid, sometime in the mid 1970s, my parents bought an old (circa 1964) fiberglass fishing boat (don't remember the make) with a 55 horse outboard. We had a vacation home in Tahoe so he took the boat to our house there. The only problem was that he never learned how to back up a trailer. I remember him paying some guy $10 once to back the trailer down the launch ramp. We only took that boat out about a dozen times in the years that we owned it, but I spent hours in it as a kid sitting at the wheel wishing it was getting wet. My dad sold the boat when I was 15 and my boating was limited to going with friends a few times a year on Tahoe or other lakes in that area. I bought a SeaDoo when I first got out of college that I still have (I know...Damn lake lice). Started going to Havasu with some friends about 7 years ago and I caught the boating fever at that time. It took me some years, but I finally got my 2007 Shockwave this year, and I doubt I'll ever be boatless againg.

justfloatn
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
My first boating experience was a bad one. My friend's dad had a jet boat when I was 12. He called me one day when I had the flu, yes summer with the flu, asked me if I wanted to go boating. Puking or not I wanted to go. We had to pull over once on the way there and once at the dock so I could puke. I get in the boat and set next to the engine cover. I don't remember the boat but it had two small seats next to the fully covered engine. He started cranking and BOOM! the engine cover blew off and I was wrapped in flames. I remember looking at them through the flames. I jumped over the side into the water. It burnt all the hair off my arms, legs, some on my head. Light first degree burns. Found out later the carb. was leaking and filled the intake and part of the bilge with fuel.
I never got on another boat until my early 20's. A co-worker had a Howard flat with a 427 ford. Since then I've had a 79 Sanger hydro, Malibu sunsetter and my current Nordic.

vmjtc3
06-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Like demoman I got my boating start in the Flathead valley in Montana. At the ripe old age of 18 my cousin who's mom and dad owned Blake office supply, bought himself an old plywood boat. After going to bitterroot lake with him I was on my way back to Kalispell in search of my first boat. Funny when you are 18 you cant afford much boat, so I bought what I could afford. An old glasspar g3 with a 85 hp merk. I spend endless weekends skiing on Foy's, Tally, and Flathead lakes. I would still own that boat to this day had it not been involved in a towing accident:( I have owned 5 or six boats including the Carrera 27' cyclone and the 24' deck boat I have now. And as I am sure is the case with everyone else, most of the best times in my life have been on the water with family and friends:D

Chico&Zeus
06-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Grew up in Illinois on the Illinois and Fox Rivers, my Grandfather had a houseboat about 50-55 feet, I was on it when I was 2 days old. Spent every year on that river, my other Grandfather had a 23 or 24 foot Master Craft, we used to go to Lake Shelbyville, LaSalle Lake and a couple trips on Lake Michigan in it. First ride on a fast boat was when I was 12, a friend of my parents lived in Panama City Beach Florida. He had this HUGE (it looked big to a 12 year old) Fountain, ran us around in the Gulf of Mexico at about 65 or 70. When I turned 18, I wanted a boat so badly, then Jet Skis were getting pretty popular, my girlfriend at the time didn't want me to get one, so we broke up and I bought a brand new 1997 Sea Doo GTI. We ended up back togeather (girlfriend and I) and moved to Scottsdale AZ. Spent a couple years with the Sea Doo on Saguaro Lake, she still hated that thing...anyway the Sea Doo got stolen, we got married, spent all of our wedding cash to pay off the damn loan:( Two years without a boat and the Sea Doo was recovered by Scottsdale police......not even 1 hour had been put on the damn thing! I cleaned her up, drained the gas and did a tune up, then sold her for the wedding money that we lost two years prior. Another year or so goes by we move to Peoria, real close to Lake Pleasant and I am dying to get back on the water, talk the wife into a 20' runabout (Campion Chase 580i) First day on the water she loves it! That summer she is already wanting a bigger boat, started going to other lakes, Apache, Pleasant, Rosevelt, etc...kept it 3 years to absorb some of the depreciation spent quite a bit of time test driving larger boats to see what she liked and getting used to manuvering them. Moved to Anthem and we agreed on our current boat...35' Nordic Flame. I see a larger cruiser in our future, but for now, this boat is the perfect one for us, plenty of room to sleep on,:sleeping: A/C;) and still runs with a decent amount of speed for us.

rlemn8r
06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Parents bought there first boat when I was eight. It was a 16 foot flatbottom with a small block buick, dry stacks, and a v-drive. Sold that after 2 years, and bought a brand new 1976 19 foot miller jet boat. Sold that when I was 15, and they were done boating. After high school, built a 1968 camaro, kept that for 12 years, sold it and bought a 19 foot carrera eclipse, with a big block and a jet. Sold that after 4 years and bought my current boat, an eliminator 210 eagle with a 496 and a jet. Did all my boating when i was young on havasu, now boat on lake mohave, and love it...

rlemn8r
06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Parents bought there first boat when I was eight. It was a 16 foot flatbottom with a small block buick, dry stacks, and a v-drive. Sold that after 2 years, and bought a brand new 1976 19 foot miller jet boat. Sold that when I was 15, and they were done boating. After high school, built a 1968 camaro, kept that for 12 years, sold it and bought a 19 foot carrera eclipse, with a big block and a jet. Sold that after 4 years and bought my current boat, an eliminator 210 eagle with a 496 and a jet. Did all my boating when i was young on havasu, now boat on lake mohave, and love it...

vmjtc3
06-28-2007, 08:08 PM
My dad always told me in was in the back of my Grandfather's Rambler! :)
How did you get the boat in the back of a rambler:idea:

blown dough
06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I have been going to Lake Mead since I was 6 months old. My parents at the time were only 19 and 21 and owned a spectra. We went to the lake every weekend during summer all the way until I was in High school. They hung out at what then was called Las Vegas wash. By the time I was in high school they got a 26' Sleekcraft and a 57' houseboat (they were ballers for their time). My husbands first trip boating was with me when we started dating and he was hooked.

vmjtc3
07-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Back to the top we need some more good stories here:D

yopengo
07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
My older brother took me to Buckskin State Park when I was 10. The camp site next to us was filled with five or six young 20 something girls. :D One was about 7 months preggo and all of them were naked most of the weekend. :p My brother and his friend were out racing their Nordic jet most of the time so the naked girls sort of adopted me for the weekend. :) When I was 16 I bought my first Southwind Jet (with my brothers help) and have been hooked on pregnant women and jets since. :D

drtywhat
07-04-2007, 08:50 AM
ohhhhh preggo woman!!! What is with it, i cant get enough of hot preggo woman. I love Baby's R Us!!! can someone help me with my sickness.:confused:

Riverkid
07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
My folks had a trucking company for 35 years. Every big weekend they would put out a list on who was going. Company paid the lot rental fees and boat gas. Usually had around 15-20 trucks/campers/boats. Started at Kings River and then moved to Parker. Dad had a nice 21 Spectra V drive with a tunnel ram motor in it. My dad liked that the mechanic came on every trip so it always ran! Also kept out POS Kings Highway moto with a 440 going... Guys had a bunch of flatties and jets. They were an ugly crowd. :D
I've had another Spectra, Fountain, Hallet and now a Schiada... Got my six year old up first try skiing at Big Bear Lake this morning. Her twin sister is holding out. Classic.

a catered life
07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
it all started when my family was stripped from the mother land and boxed up like sardines and shipped over here in wooden boats to farm the land for the white man:eek: :D :sqeyes: lmao..if you dont laugh at that u suck;)
the real story- best friend took me camping and boating (i had never done either) we went to blythe and he had a 19' jet....i hated the camping part at first but the boating was awesome and my kids loved both....few months later bought my first boat and had to completely rebuild it from the bottom up...sold that boat in blythe 2 years later on memorial day weekend and went boatless for 3 year...two years ago we got the 26 eliminator edge

came along during the sunk boat thread
07-04-2007, 10:31 AM
grew up living on the fox river in northern IL. Dad had an old trihull and I got my first ride a few days after I was born in 80.
In 85, we bought a brand new pontoon boat with a 40 hp suzuki (the day it was supposed to be delivered, dad got into a realy bad car wreck) so I "boated" on that thing in the driveway that summer.
parents bought a couple of used jetskis in 94 as well as a new celebrity 180
then they got a old mastercraft in 97
bought a playbouy 24ft toon with a merc 125 in 2000
got a newer set of skis in 2000
bought a air nautique in 2005
bought a yami ar210 about 2 weeks ago
Sadly, I moved off the water in 2005
bought my very own first boat in 06
I've always loved the water and dont really care what kind of boat im on, as long as its in the water

40FlatDeck
07-05-2007, 10:45 AM
This has been a great thread!!:D

Scapegoat1
07-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I had an inlaw that was working on an all yellow sanger jet bubble. back in the mid west you did not see this to much, I always wanted to get into boats since then. fast forward to age 25, just married and the wife and I decided to by an 18 brendella jet, we graduated to a 20.5 eliminator v drive, and have just recently moved up to a 24 cheetah.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1brendella1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/59DSC01737-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/River_july_2006_015.jpg