PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Moving

rollin24/7
02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Ok, this is way off the subject of boats but my wife and I are thinking about cashing out on our home in OC, and making the move to the Temecula/Murrieta area to get more for our money (and a big enough garrage for the boat). Not looking for any convincing, just looking to see if anyone on here has done that, and if so what did you find as the pros and cons?
Thanks!

hotsand65
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
WE sold our 2 bedroom condo in Laguna Niguel for more than we bought a 3 bed pool house in Murrieta. I absolutely love my house and my neighborhood, having a front yard, back yard and a place for our boat - but I miss the lifestyle of OC!

Stoneman
02-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Selling my lake side home in Menifee, has pool and spa. two car garage. Pm me if interested. sale by owner so far. Haven't listed it yet. :cool:

slink
02-15-2006, 01:11 PM
hope you dont mind sitting in traffic at least 5 hrs a day

SHOTKALLIN
02-15-2006, 01:23 PM
temecula murrieta area is beautiful, the key is to not have to commute anywhere. if you can live there and work there, its a no brainer.
just my .02

jbtrailerjim
02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Yep, he is right about the traffic. If you have to commute to L.A. or OC, be prepared to sit in a lot of traffic.

Cole Trickle
02-15-2006, 01:41 PM
If you work in OC and make the commute from Temecula 5 days a week life will suck. (thats either a long drive going over Ortega or a longer drive going around the mountain)
If you move out there you will get alot for your money as opposed to OC but don't expect to pay under 350K for a small 3 bedroom house.(The days of 200K mansions is way gone)
With that said I am selling my Condo in South OC and will be buying a house in the 600K range in shallow Corona trying to acomplish the same things that you are.I will be taking the Fast trak to work every day in hopes of eliminating much of the commute.
Good luck
P.S. I would PM Ivan Dan with any kind of relestate questions.(He is selling my house and has been great :) )

BajaMike
02-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Ya, good point, where do you work??
:idea:

rollin24/7
02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
I work for OC Fire so my commute is rougly 10-12 days a month(24hr shifts), and when I come home i'm going against the traffic, not with it. The wifes job is in OC but we are already talking about her changing jobs. So far all your help is much appreciated. We've already found the house (and yes you are right with the $200,000 mansions days gone) we're just trying to weigh out the pros and cons.

BajaMike
02-15-2006, 01:58 PM
I work for OC Fire so my commute is rougly 10-12 days a month(24hr shifts), and when I come home i'm going against the traffic, not with it. The wifes job is in OC but we are already talking about her changing jobs. So far all your help is much appreciated. We've already found the house (and yes you are right with the $200,000 mansions days gone) we're just trying to weigh out the pros and cons.
I don't blame you.....I'm in Dana Point in a townhouse, and i can't park my truck or boat at my house. :cry:
But my commute is mellow and i can walk to the beach or the harbor (where they launch my boat for me). :rollside:
:cool:
PS.....and OC fire does a hell of a job!!! They are the best!
:cool:

Cole Trickle
02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
If you can get your wife a job close to home making close to the same $$$ I say go for it. Chances are as a Fireman you are leaving really early in the morning and luckily like stated 10-12 days is way better than driving every day.

burtandnancy
02-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Don't know if you're buying up or down, but run the figures by your tax man, you don't want to give any more to uncle Sam than necessary. You may also want to budget the new fuel costs at $2.50/gal as it sounds like you are already justifying the commute...

THOR
02-15-2006, 02:09 PM
My neighbor just moved from Huntington to Wildomar and hates the schools his kids are in.

twindcb
02-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I work for OC Fire so my commute is rougly 10-12 days a month(24hr shifts), and when I come home i'm going against the traffic, not with it. The wifes job is in OC but we are already talking about her changing jobs. So far all your help is much appreciated. We've already found the house (and yes you are right with the $200,000 mansions days gone) we're just trying to weigh out the pros and cons.I sale realestate in temecula, murrieta. A friend of mind works for OC fire as well, he lives in french vally it takes him about hour twenty to get to work, call me with ? 951 764-5227. John

Riverkid
02-15-2006, 04:09 PM
... and making the move to the Temecula/Murrieta area to get more for our money (and a big enough garrage for the boat). Not looking for any convincing, just looking to see if anyone on here has done that, and if so what did you find as the pros and cons?
We did this about four years ago. We sold our condo in Foothill Ranch and bought a brand new 5 BR place in S Corona on a half acre + lot. Best thing we ever did. My wife can stay home with our twins, and with my job I don't have to sit in much traffic (I either start really early or later to miss the traffic hours). Four car, boat deep garage, too... :)
Cons? Not much closeby for us in the way of restaurants or shopping, but with the new development over by Dos Lagos and an Albertson's going in by Tom's Farms, that helps a bunch. The 15 is getting worse every month though, traffic wise... You have plenty of services further south in Tem/Murrieta. Some beautiful homes there, on nice sized lots... Just stay away from that SWB guy... :D :D

River918
02-15-2006, 04:59 PM
We have been looking at doing the same thing but after looking into it, we are staying where we are at. The main problem was peoperty taxes. Here's what we discovered:
We currently own a house that we paid about 170k for 8 years ago. With all the upgrades we have done, it is now worth about 650K. We currently pay about $2,400 a year in taxes. By selling our house, we figuered we would take the balance and get a new, bigger house and keep our payment the same (or even lower it).....The one thing I didn't consider right away was the taxes....First of all: I would go from paying a little over 1% a year on about a 200k loan (for my present house), to paying a little over 1% on a 500k+ loan...Not only that, but alot of these newer communities charge what's called an "assessment" tax. That normally raises the taxes to around 1.8%...The difference for me was going from $2,400 a year to about $9,000. My actual house payment would go down about $100 to $200 a month, but with taxes my total impounded payment (home loan, taxes, insurance) would go up about $600.00 to $800.00 a month. Add that to the additional money I would spend on gas (I have to commute to the L.A. area), it just didn't seem practical to me. I would love to have a new house, and maybe someday I can afford it...... :) :) :)
The person I feel the worst for is my wife...I walk her through those model houses and then tell her we can't afford it..... :mad:

burtandnancy
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
ding, ding, ding. Winner

Captain Dan
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
My neighbor just moved from Huntington to Wildomar and hates the schools his kids are in.
Maybe in Wildomar, but the scores for school disctricts in Murrieta and Temecula are consistently two of the highest in the County.

MRSDRMCAT
02-15-2006, 05:13 PM
We have been looking at doing the same thing but after looking into it, we are staying where we are at. The main problem was peoperty taxes. Here's what we discovered:
We currently own a house that we paid about 170k for 8 years ago. With all the upgrades we have done, it is now worth about 650K. We currently pay about $2,400 a year in taxes. By selling our house, we figuered we would take the balance and get a new, bigger house and keep our payment the same (or even lower it).....The one thing I didn't consider right away was the taxes....First of all: I would go from paying a little over 1% a year on about a 200k loan (for my present house), to paying a little over 1% on a 500k+ loan...Not only that, but alot of these newer communities charge what's called an "assment" tax. That normally raises the taxes to around 1.8%...The difference for me was going from $2,400 a year to about $9,000. My actual house payment would go down about $100 to $200 a month, but with taxes my total impounded payment (home loan, taxes, insurance) would go up about $600.00 to $800.00 a month. Add that to the additional money I would spend on gas (I have to commute to the L.A. area), it just didn't seem practical to me. I would love to have a new house, and maybe someday I can afford it...... :) :) :)
The person I feel the worst for is my wife...I walk her through those model houses and then tell her we can't afford it..... :mad: Poor Rikki Lynn! stop teasing her!!!! By the way when r u going to post her beautiful pictures again??

Ivan Dan
02-15-2006, 05:20 PM
We currently own a house that we paid about 170k for 8 years ago. With all the upgrades we have done, it is now worth about 650K. We currently pay about $2,400 a year in taxes. By selling our house, we figuered we would take the balance and get a new, bigger house and keep our payment the same (or even lower it).....The one thing I didn't consider right away was the taxes....First of all: I would go from paying a little over 1% a year on about a 200k loan (for my present house), to paying a little over 1% on a 500k+ loan...Not only that, but alot of these newer communities charge what's called an "assment" tax. That normally raises the taxes to around 1.8%...The difference for me was going from $2,400 a year to about $9,000. My actual house payment would go down about $100 to $200 a month, but with taxes my total impounded payment (home loan, taxes, insurance) would go up about $600.00 to $800.00 a month. Add that to the additional money I would spend on gas (I have to commute to the L.A. area), it just didn't seem practical to me. I would love to have a new house, and maybe someday I can afford it...... :) :) :)
The person I feel the worst for is my wife...I walk her through those model houses and then tell her we can't afford it..... :mad:
You bring up a valid point here. Keep in mind that your property taxes are figured based on the value of your home (not loan amount). I hear this a lot from potential buyers/sellers in the real estate market and it is definitely something to consider in the equation when making the decision. The bang for your buck is definitely A LOT better in Murrietta and Temecula than it is in OC. I can e-mail you some active listings if you like just let me know what you are looking for and where to send it.
If any of you guys have any questions or need advice don't hesitate to call or PM me anytime.

HOOTER SLED-
02-15-2006, 06:08 PM
You'd be surprised how much traffic is heading eastbound in the morning.

HOOTER SLED-
02-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Don't know if you're buying up or down, but run the figures by your tax man, you don't want to give any more to uncle Sam than necessary. You may also want to budget the new fuel costs at $2.50/gal as it sounds like you are already justifying the commute...
Not to mention the monthly Fastrak bill if he uses that.

River918
02-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Poor Rikki Lynn! stop teasing her!!!! By the way when r u going to post her beautiful pictures again??
Another things she regrets missing is those possible jacuzzi nights with Mrs.DRMCAT ... :220v:

Boozer
02-15-2006, 06:21 PM
We did this about four years ago. We sold our condo in Foothill Ranch and bought a brand new 5 BR place in S Corona on a half acre + lot. Best thing we ever did. My wife can stay home with our twins, and with my job I don't have to sit in much traffic (I either start really early or later to miss the traffic hours). Four car, boat deep garage, too... :)
Cons? Not much closeby for us in the way of restaurants or shopping, but with the new development over by Dos Lagos and an Albertson's going in by Tom's Farms, that helps a bunch. The 15 is getting worse every month though, traffic wise... You have plenty of services further south in Tem/Murrieta. Some beautiful homes there, on nice sized lots... Just stay away from that SWB guy... :D :D
You left out all the good stuff that comes along with where you live.

DUNDUN
02-15-2006, 06:52 PM
rollin 24/7, i moved out here from ladera ranch about 2 years ago. the traffic is worse than south oc. the developers run this town. its crazy. they keep building houses and there is no room for more cars on the road. we are most likely moving to oceanside within the next year because my stepdad is sick of the commute to rancho santa margarita(ortega and 91 both suck). and yeah we moved here for the same reason youre talking about. my parents regret it for the most part. it really sucks, im most likely either a)going to a different school in a different town for my senior year(sucks because of the good friends ive developed over the last couple of years out here), b)commute from oceanside to murrieta everyday for school(i dont feel like driving that much. seems expensive for a kid making $7.25 an hour) or c)independent study(homeschooling).. which also sucks. if i had advice, id say dont do it.. unless commuting isnt a problem. i like the area out here, but the congestion gets overwhelming. good luck,
brandon.
oh and another reason to stay in oc is that house prices are appreciating out here, but not nearly as fast as in oc. oc is definitely the better investment imo.

Riverkid
02-15-2006, 06:57 PM
You left out all the good stuff that comes along with where you live.
Sshhh. Those are secrets... :)

Ivan Dan
02-15-2006, 07:08 PM
P.S. I would PM Ivan Dan with any kind of relestate questions.(He is selling my house and has been great :) )
Thanks for the plug man...I appreciate it!

THOR
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe in Wildomar, but the scores for school disctricts in Murrieta and Temecula are consistently two of the highest in the County.
Probably so. I was just repeating what my buddy said. He regrets it now. I wouldnt do it cuz I dont trust the schooling either but that is me. I lived in Vegas for several years and saw the same thing. Too much growth and they were starving for teaching to fill positions and they receive piss poor quality teachers as a result. That is just too bad cuz Temecula is a great area I think that shows real promise. Just look at how much housing has increased in the past few years.

slink
02-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Where were there 1/2 ac. lots in S. Corona ? Was it city or county area?
Damn, I think I need to get out of the office more.

ELVIS
02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
stay away from wildomar, meifee,lake smell some more, and canyon lake.
and stay off the 91 when i'm on it..........

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-15-2006, 08:11 PM
stay away from wildomar, meifee,lake smell some more, and canyon lake.
and stay off the 91 when i'm on it..........
I agree. Keep towards Murrieta and Temecula with the rest of the OC and SD transplants. It's the new OC down there and they can have it. :D

Riverkid
02-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Where were there 1/2 ac. lots in S. Corona ? Was it city or county area?
Damn, I think I need to get out of the office more.
Unfortunately, it's county... Horsethief. We've got our own CDF station here now but LEO response by the RCSO is REAL bad... My bud around the corner has 25 acres!

slink
02-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately, it's county... Horsethief. We've got our own CDF station here now but LEO response by the RCSO is REAL bad... My bud around the corner has 25 acres!
Rumor has it the city (Corona) is going to be incorporating everything down to Lake St. within the next 5 yrs

Riverkid
02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I sure hope so. That would be super. Do you work for Corona? Their chopper guys are hilarious... :)

slink
02-15-2006, 08:37 PM
I sure hope so. That would be super. Do you work for Corona? Their chopper guys are hilarious... :)
Yes and no, not a motor.

Riverkid
02-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes and no, not a motor.
We know a couple guys on at Corona. I meant the chopper/helo guys. House parties at Joe's place are always followed up with the Nightsun... :)

slink
02-15-2006, 08:50 PM
We know a couple guys on at Corona. I meant the chopper/helo guys. House parties at Joe's place are always followed up with the Nightsun... :)
Ya, I know those guys......Joe as in a corona cop last name starts w/ "M" ?

Riverkid
02-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Bingo. :)

Throttle
02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
good luck rollin24/7.

rollin24/7
02-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Wow, I got a few more replies than expected. Anyways, thanks for the advise. I'm not too worried about the OC lifestyle so much anymore since i'm married and thinking of having some little ones in the next few years. If I was still single then there would be no way I would make the move. There were some things that I hadn't considered but will now. Thanks!
Oh ya, is it river time yet!!!!

cdog
02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
We did the same thing, but decided to move to AZ for a better quality of life. Imagine what this place will look like in 3-6 years. Constant gridlock. Good luck.

Stoneman
02-16-2006, 09:46 AM
We moved out to Menifee Lakes in 1990. Raised two kids and life has been great. The driving sucks but we are close to SD 1hr, OC 1-2hrs, river 3.5 hrs, Vegas 3.5 hrs.
I have a house with a lake for a backyard. Great place to raise kids.
Good neighbors, we BBQ almost every weekend, and go to the river together.
Pretty good schools, my son is attending USMA at West point. Another kid from his grad class got a full scholarship to MIT.
A little hotter in the summer, but cools off at night.
All in all, it was a very good decision for us.
House goes on the market Mar. 1st

Captain Dan
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
You're not going to get "rich" moving to Temecula. A house 5 doors down just sold for $585k last month. And if you think you'll miss the OC, just give it five years, it will be exactly the same here.
One can only hope that doesn't come true.......

Captain Dan
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
It's already getting to be gridlocked to and from work. It took me 55 minutes to drive from WFS to my house at Redhawk and back at 5:30pm Tuesday night. 55 minutes to go maybe 15 miles.
Yes, traffic is getting pretty bad. On the bright side, we don't have a lot of people named "Buffy" who tie their sweaters around their shoulders....... :)

Mrs. casean
02-16-2006, 01:35 PM
I grew up in San Clemente and moved to Escondido to be w/ my husband (casean) and then we got married and bought in Winchester (French Valley) which is just where Murrieta hits Temecula and I love it here. The congestion is getting bad but only work 7 miles away from home now and that's well worth it to me! On the other side, Sean works in Carlsbad still... it is horrible commuting but his job makes it worth it for now until more opportunities head this way. I like the community, many of the people have the same hobbies (river, desert) which makes it fun, the services are great (Mall, restaurants, schools~top from what I've read) and like you, we plan on having some litte ones with in a few years and I want to know I have a great school for them to go... and we do. Aside from the congestion, the river is an easy drive and we miss all the 91 traffic :D And the desert is only an hour and fifteen minutes away... can't complain! That's my experience and I am not moving back to the OC... I'm sick of the attitudes many have that I was around living in San Clemente and the congestion all over OC is getting bad too... so why would I sell my house to not be able to afford anything comparable to still have traffic just as bad and school filled w/ even more non-english speaking kids... this is my opinion based on my experience living in San Clemente and moving to Temecula. I'm staying... if we move, it's out of California. Good luck w/ your decision.

dirty old man
02-16-2006, 01:57 PM
You younger people may as well get used to grid lock for the rest of your lives unless you leave the west coast entirely. Thot Vegas would be ok for a while, but you all know what happened here. So Cal, AZ and NV will never again be the same unless the big one hits and we have ocean on both sides

lewiville
02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Come on out to "Murritucky". Its great. Make sure that you get in the Copper Canyon area. That area has award winning schools, better than O.C. I came out here four years ago from Dove Canyon.
Good stuff Maynard

Chris Winn
02-16-2006, 03:36 PM
i have a house for sale in the Orange/Villa Park area (hot area)
we are having semi custom built out in Chino/ corona area i am not looking forward to the communte but i just bought office in Anahiem hills so it won't be too bad...but the traffic can get really bad at times
if anyone wants a really nice turn key house in the OC (off of the 55 at Nohl Ranch) pm me for more deatils.
chris