PDA

View Full Version : got my blown tx wet today!!thanx guys for the help!

IMPATIENT 1
06-27-2007, 07:37 PM
well 1st off i'd like to thank all you guys who gave me good advise over the past 7-8months with my blown jet build up! unchained, chris straub, you other guys(to many to list), your knowledge is invaluable and i appreciate the hell outta it!!!!
i took out my tx-19 today nervous as hell after a 2month grind to get back on the water:( i was getting plum burnt out and just needed alittle lake time to revive. it was raining today up until 3 so i took off work, headed home, hooked onto my tx and headed out. got to the lake and the sun came out for me:) i backed the boat down into the water, checked for leaks(i went thru pump too), pushed off my trailer and fired the new blown roller 475 up. check the normal stuff, oil pressure, take a look at a/f ratio, etc.. putted outta the cove and found some nice 2-3inch chop and laid the hammer down half way. OMFG!! the sumabitch took off like a phucking rocket:D :D :D let me just say this loud "__CK NITROUS, I'LL NEVER TOUCH THE STUFF AGAIN NOW THAT I'VE WENT BLOWN:devil: "
i stuck a 6k chip in the btm just to break in on, set timing at 34 and btm to @1/4. so with the 6k chip in it, it only takes a blink and the boat is at 6k banging the limiter:mad: and i didn't bring my 7k chip:( . couldn't even get into the secondaries before my shift lift would come on at @5950 before it'd bang out.
so far its 10mph faster, helllllla lot quiker, and i haven't even stepped into the secondaries yet! i love it:D :devil: i'll snap some pics and getting some roost pics this weekend when i take the fam out. the boat is throwing a hella rooster

DMOORE
06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Good to hear that the first splash went well for ya. It can be a bit nerve racking. But nothing better than hearing that baby sing for the first time.
Congrats.
Darrell.

79centurion
06-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Glad to hear it went well.
Dan

IMPATIENT 1
06-28-2007, 06:39 AM
thanx guys, i can't wait to stick my foot in it:D :devil:

Slacker
06-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Nothing like that blower sound, glad to hear you had good first outing, unlike mine. Enjoy ...

IMPATIENT 1
06-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Nothing like that blower sound, glad to hear you had good first outing, unlike mine. Enjoy ...
it wasn't perfect, i got carried away enjoying myself and ran outta gas out in the middle of our lake:D :D but i had a buddy there with his boat so i gotta tow immediately.
I WAS TOWED IN BY A BBO apollo:eek: :rolleyes: :D LMAO! guess there's always a 1st time for everything:D

jdf
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
this great news ...hope you can came down to tyler some time

Slacker
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I just found about the great gas mileage you get with a blower.. It happens though, could have been worse.

moparjet
06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I just found about the great gas mileage you get with a blower.. It happens though, could have been worse.
i found out the same thing....but i love the blower

jdf
06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
what mpg :) :)

1968Droptop
06-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Glad to hear all went well ! I'm 2 weeks out, pick up long block tomorrow. Your excitement is making mi freakin itch to get mine wet !

BIGCHRIS
06-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Congrats Tom,Cant wait till you get too stretch her out you will be happy i am sure come on with the pics:)

IMPATIENT 1
06-29-2007, 05:40 AM
its feels so good at 6k, can't wait to feel what 7k is gonna do:devil: i had my impellor balanced,and i had the rotating assembly balanced, sure feels good spinnin over 5500. last sept. when i got the boat, the "new" roller 468 vibrated like a mofo:eek: kinda scary so that's why i tore into this motor. nothing was rite, had closed chamber'd pop ups on open chamber heads,and the heads were nicking the pistons(they weren't hurt, just not rite).that mill cranked out a whoping 78 with the wore out pump:D maybe i added 20mph to the boat!:D :D :D :D 2 more days and i'll lay down the hammer, take some pics for you guys.

jdf
06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
be watch for the east tx gang they are coming to bb

IMPATIENT 1
06-30-2007, 05:45 AM
be watch for the east tx gang they are coming to bb
i'll be down there next saturday after the 4th. gonna stay local on the 4th, so far i haven't ran into any probs with the boat and until i've got 4hrs of trouble free time on the boat i'm hanging around hugo lake.
jdf, holla at me when if i pass by ya. i'm taking the wife and kids to watch the races at bb that sat..

BOOGEYMAN
07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
pic's and video!!!!

IMPATIENT 1
07-03-2007, 05:40 AM
pic's and video!!!!
man, its done nothing but rain for the last week. i water tested last tuesday and it hasn't stopped raining since then:mad: :mad: :mad: my local lake is flooding over, the red river is about to flood which will cut texas off from oklahoma for awhile:D (kinda like that part) my tx is cleaned up and ready to go, just need a day without rain to go somewhere. all my local lakes will be closed down if the rain keeps up:mad:

IMPATIENT 1
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
here's a couple pics of my tx. and yes i know i need to mow:D but its been raining for 3wks straight and the grass is to wet to cut:mad:

IMPATIENT 1
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34419&d=1183654064

IMPATIENT 1
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34420&d=1183654081

Slacker
07-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Looking good, I need to get off my Azz and put my new additions up. What did you do for the blower guard?

IMPATIENT 1
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Looking good, I need to get off my Azz and put my new additions up. What did you do for the blower guard?
a buddy of mine had an old 1 wayin around his place. the chrome was ugly but not much rust and after alittle polish and elbow grease, it turned out looking new. i got lucky it fit my set-up almost perfectly, just alittle mod here and there to make it fit.

atxwrangler
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
looks great tom!i fired mine the other day,just need to install the rub rail before i get it wet!way to go!!!

BIGCHRIS
07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Whats the lattest Tom

hotbo
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Whats the lattest Tom
toms mill ate #4 main bearing:jawdrop: hes not happy got it all tore apart and tryin to regather stuff up to put it back together.he told me he thinks oil pump failure caused this:confused: said his pump spring was in 2 pieces:idea: anyway im sure he can give you all the hole story.:D

IMPATIENT 1
07-14-2007, 07:21 AM
:D toms mill ate #4 main bearing:jawdrop: hes not happy got it all tore apart and tryin to regather stuff up to put it back together.he told me he thinks oil pump failure caused this:confused: said his pump spring was in 2 pieces:idea: anyway im sure he can give you all the hole story.:D
yep that just about sums it up. the oil pump pressure spring was broken in 2 pieces about 1inch from the end. it still built pressure but it was slow building it and when the motor blower surged enoughm the pressure got to @15-20psi on the low end of the surge and i walked a cap on #4. all machine work is in progress, crank is fixed(had to turn mains 10 plus alittle extra race clearence), all gaskets are in, bearings are in, just gotta wait on block work to be done. should start putting the motor together next weekend. another 600 bucks gone:mad: i had to spend what i'd saved to buy a dual plate nitrous kit to stick on top of the blower, which suuuuuxxxxx. i had big plans for labor day and now it went to shiat. buuuutttt i did by a few new blower pulleys:D i should be up and runnin by aug. fo sure.

IMPATIENT 1
07-14-2007, 07:47 AM
i did gps 87 on the 1st day out on just the primaries banging the hell outta the rev limiter at 6k:rolleyes: have only got 1hr seat time in the boat so far this summer. 2more wks and i'll make some wot passes and see what the damn boat will do.be nice to see what the rear barrels feel like:( oh well, i chalked it up to a learnin experience, a expensive 1:rolleyes: there's a few things i want to do anyways so i fixin them while the motor is out.

Fiat48
07-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Though a broken oil pump spring is definately not right.....if you had oil pressure problems...odds are more than #4 main would be effected.
Be sure to check the line hone. Especially after #4 has spun. Make sure you have .0035 main bearing clearance.....that the crank is straight and not cracked.
The main caps better locate and fit tightly or you may have this problem again.
Just some things to check.

BIGCHRIS
07-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Tom hate to hear that buddy,hang in there it will come together

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-14-2007, 11:48 PM
I feel for ya Tom:( I opened this thread and it made me smile until the bad news:( Atleast you got to run her for an hour. If I didnt get into my accident, I would be damn near complete on mine. But since some azzhole decided to run a red, i may be out for the whole summer:( I feel your pain brotha. Keep us updated.
Spitter

IMPATIENT 1
07-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Though a broken oil pump spring is definately not right.....if you had oil pressure problems...odds are more than #4 main would be effected.
Be sure to check the line hone. Especially after #4 has spun. Make sure you have .0035 main bearing clearance.....that the crank is straight and not cracked.
thanx guys for the concern, its not a big deal, i got her shut down before anything really got tore up. its stuck babbet material to the #4 main journal but didn;t even scratch it! i had the mains turned 10 over on the low side for race clearence and the block got 2 new main caps(#2 & #4) that i think are sloppy feeling. its already at the machine shop getting line bored and honed. the block came with the boat and was already studded with arps on the mains but i went ahead and installed a new arp stud kit for peace of mind.i should be putting it back together this coming saturday and making some runs on sunday.
i was disapointed but with all the damn rain we're gettin, my lake is closed due to flooding. all the lakes around are so high, it'd be dangerous to run my tx-19 on them due to floating logs and debris.
bigchris, those pics of your ole vdrive have stuck into my brain and make this down time more bearable knowing the boat would be in my shop anyways wether it was runnin or not;) imagine what a floating tree would do to my boat!:eek:

IMPATIENT 1
07-15-2007, 12:38 PM
bearing clearence was good, the 1st thought that came to mind when i was being pulled to the trailer was "i got a main to tight". i left the lake and went to the dealership, pulled the specs i wrote down outta my toolbox and looked at everything again. #4 was on the money. i honestly think the bearing got starved, and cocked the main alittle when is shifted a cap. that cap was tight but i could break it loose from the block by hand, which lead me to think it walked. the rest of the mains had to be broke loose with my rubber mallet.i laid the mains back into the block and looked at it without the crank and sure enough the #4 bearings was sitting crooked in the main bore, tells me it walked the cap some. i went to the machine shop and he had 8-10 caps that were like new and let me take em home for matching up. i found 2 that lined up nice on main #2 and main #4. so i installed the new studs, cleaned everything up again and torqued the mains down, sent it for line boring and honing. machine shop said the crank was fine.he magged it, dyed it and came up with nothing.its ready to pick up but i'm waiting for the block to be finished before i pick up anything. self's racing is the shop who balanced the rotating assembly and i had him check the crank, its was new but ups is rough on shiat.glen self said it balanced easy and the crank was flawless. everything is forged eagle, eagle h-beams withl19's, eagle 4340 lightened forged crank, srp blower flat tops. all bearings where clevite, and i used coated h bearings on the mains just in case some shit went down, glad i did cause i think a regular h bearing would have done more damage.

BIGCHRIS
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
bearing clearence was good, the 1st thought that came to mind when i was being pulled to the trailer was "i got a main to tight". i left the lake and went to the dealership, pulled the specs i wrote down outta my toolbox and looked at everything again. #4 was on the money. i honestly think the bearing got starved, and cocked the main alittle when is shifted a cap. that cap was tight but i could break it loose from the block by hand, which lead me to think it walked. the rest of the mains had to be broke loose with my rubber mallet.i laid the mains back into the block and looked at it without the crank and sure enough the #4 bearings was sitting crooked in the main bore, tells me it walked the cap some. i went to the machine shop and he had 8-10 caps that were like new and let me take em home for matching up. i found 2 that lined up nice on main #2 and main #4. so i installed the new studs, cleaned everything up again and torqued the mains down, sent it for line boring and honing. machine shop said the crank was fine.he magged it, dyed it and came up with nothing.its ready to pick up but i'm waiting for the block to be finished before i pick up anything. self's racing is the shop who balanced the rotating assembly and i had him check the crank, its was new but ups is rough on shiat.glen self said it balanced easy and the crank was flawless. everything is forged eagle, eagle h-beams withl19's, eagle 4340 lightened forged crank, srp blower flat tops. all bearings where clevite, and i used coated h bearings on the mains just in case some shit went down, glad i did cause i think a regular h bearing would have done more damage.
So whats the latest Tom on your boat:)

1968Droptop
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Jesus, I missed ATX's thread, and somehow missed the end of this as well. REALLY REALLY sorry to read the back half of this post Tom. I can hear/feel your disappointment, but hopefully you'll get some seat time before Winter sets in. What oil are you running ???

IMPATIENT 1
08-09-2007, 05:36 AM
its runnin great, i put it back together last wk and took it out last sat with the family in tow. it ran awesome all day, not 1 motor prob. i do have a loading issue with the pump and i've been working on that for the past 3days and have gotten it cured i think. i ran 93gps sat. and the pump was cavitating badly at 93.i fixed the loading issue and i'm looking for 100+ this weekend outta it:devil: :D the motor had power to spare at 93(6900rpms before loading work, hope it turns 6700 afterwards)so i'm pretty sure i'll get to make my 1st 100+ pass , in my own boat, this weekend. i'm siked up, ready to goooooo:D i fed the pump alot more shoe and went with a different loader, blended the intake and speedcoated so its gotta be getting enough water now.last saturday it felt like i was trying to street race on gravel, just couldn't hookup. i'll post some pics sunday nite.

IMPATIENT 1
08-09-2007, 05:40 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36523&d=1186405789

1968Droptop
08-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Nice pix !!! The hull looks dry enough for trips, did you get there ???

IMPATIENT 1
08-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Nice pix !!! The hull looks dry enough for trips, did you get there ???
haven't went to the lake yet drop, maybe sat i can get away and play some. i finished up all the intake work last nite @6pm and it turned out nice. the speedcoat made it super slick, and i dropped the shoe to keel level, trying a different loader. its should see 100+ this weekend:D
that pic is me doin @80, the loader was so deep in the water, it got to far outta the water from how much lift it was createing. i fixed it and now the shoe is gonna give lift instead of the loader doin it all. the boat was set-up to run 80 or below basically, or for a low hp set-up.

Gearhead
08-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey Tom,
Boat is looking really good! Did you have a chance to work on your hardware some more over the weekend? If I may, I surely would recommend a life jacket when testing and especially when racing your boat.
I’m really looking forward to Broken Bow Labor Day weekend!. I have not been to the lake in two or three weeks and need to get back out while it is still summer. So, I better get out to the garage and do a little maintenance… change oil, check valves and springs, etc.
Hope to see that boat run soon. We need some pics of that boat on the Youngblood Jetboat website!
Gear

IMPATIENT 1
08-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey Tom,
Boat is looking really good! Did you have a chance to work on your hardware some more over the weekend? If I may, I surely would recommend a life jacket when testing and especially when racing your boat.
I’m really looking forward to Broken Bow Labor Day weekend!. I have not been to the lake in two or three weeks and need to get back out while it is still summer. So, I better get out to the garage and do a little maintenance… change oil, check valves and springs, etc.
Hope to see that boat run soon. We need some pics of that boat on the Youngblood Jetboat website!
Gear
gear, all the hardware changes really helped, the boat feels like its quik but i won't know till i pull up next to another fast gullwing. i'm gonna stick with my current set-up for labor day. i may add alittle more boost, timing and race fuel but that's it. i'll be getting sawed off alot but this will be my 1st time really racing it and i've got a learning curve to get over.
we set a make shift track on my lake last weekend, marked off 1000ft and i practiced alittle, and can get 98 consistent in 100ft. may not be the fastest but i should be in the middle somewhere.

Gearhead
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Tom,
You will do fine. Just practice your takeoff.... How quick you can get the boat up and over on plane. That will make a big difference. The 98 in 1000 ft. is respectable and will put you in pretty good company.
The Big Kahuna and Turkey stopped by today for carb adjustment and lunch. They both plan on being at BB for Labor Day weekend.
Gear

IMPATIENT 1
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Tom,
You will do fine. Just practice your takeoff.... How quick you can get the boat up and over on plane. That will make a big difference. The 98 in 1000 ft. is respectable and will put you in pretty good company.
The Big Kahuna and Turkey stopped by today for carb adjustment and lunch. They both plan on being at BB for Labor Day weekend.
Gear
i've got a feeling labor day on broken bow will be the biggest turnout of dragboats that lake has every seen. i'm really siked up for it, even though i'm gonna be a loser:D lol. it'll be fun just being lined up again, the adrenaline givin me shakes at the end of the track:D its been awhile:(
you guys set me up some even races.most of those guys on bb are runnin to much no2 for me to compete with:( i've got alittle blower:mad:

IMPATIENT 1
08-19-2007, 06:23 PM
here's a video of my boat a friend took this weekend. we were out playin alittle, i'm still having fuel pressure trouble(i never turned up the regulators, i did and it fixed it, i'm a dumbass:D ) so i could only go 3/4 throttle before the a/f meter starts getting alittle lean. i cranked up the fuel pressure today and it seemed to fix. here's the video of me taking a buddy for a ride yesterday:
http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m304/oumills/?action=view&current=MOV01006.flv
i was wanting to go out today and see if the increased pressure would keep the rail pressure @6psi at wot. it would creep down to 3psi at wot and the carbs would run dry, so i didn't try for a top speed runs, never went above 3/4 pedal:mad:
the puke tank really helped alot! i had alittle on the transom, but i think a v/cover gaskets may have pushed.

Slacker
08-20-2007, 11:59 AM
looking good Tom...

atxwrangler
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
looks great!fix that fuel pressure!

IMPATIENT 1
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
looks great!fix that fuel pressure!
i think i've got it fixed;) i was trying to cram in more fuel pressure without turnin up the pressure on the regulators:rolleyes: i turned it up and its doin tons better on the trailer, gotta get wot and see if its fixed.