PDA

View Full Version : another Immigration vote

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-28-2007, 06:42 AM
WASHINGTON - President Bush, scrambling to salvage his broad immigration bill that's in peril before a crucial test vote, called senators early Thursday morning to rally support.
ADVERTISEMENT
Republicans and Democrats could put the brakes on the bipartisan plan to legalize millions of unlawful immigrants Thursday, after the measure's roller-coaster ride through a Senate deeply divided over the issue.
Conservative critics call the bill a grant of amnesty, while some Democrats are concerned it could separate families and leave a new group of temporary workers vulnerable to exploitation.
Supporters point to the bill's tougher border security and workplace enforcement measures, along with an immediate infusion of $4.4 billion to pay for them, as reasons to keep the legislation alive.
Bush, who has made an unusual personal push to persuade key waverers to back the bill — one of his top domestic priorities — was on the phone with senators on Thursday morning after making calls Wednesday night to argue his case, said Scott Stanzel, a White House spokesman.
Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., said, "This has been a long journey to try and bring our broken immigration system and our broken borders to a place where the Senate can take action." Kennedy partnered with conservative Republicans and the Bush team to write the bill.
"Today's vote is really a critical vote," Kennedy added.
Supporters must gain 60 votes in the 100-member chamber to limit debate and clear the way for a roll call on final passage, perhaps by Friday. Anything less will likely doom the legislation until a new president and Congress take office in 2009.
Bush's allies passed a similar test Tuesday, but several senators said they simply were agreeing to let debate continue for a couple of days, and they made no promises to support the legislation on Thursday or beyond.
The revived immigration measure could grant legalization to the estimated 12 million unlawful immigrants if they pass background checks and pay fines and fees. It also would toughen border security and institute a new system for weeding out illegal immigrants from workplaces.
It faces challenges from the left as well as the right. The measure survived a series of unfriendly amendments Wednesday.
Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., was among those disappointed Wednesday. The Senate voted 55-40 to reject his amendment that would have made it easier for some immigrants to obtain visas for family members left behind in their home countries.
"This action does nothing to allay my concerns about the increasingly right-wing tilt to these proceedings, and it makes it more difficult to vote in favor of invoking cloture on the bill," Menendez said, referring to Thursday's crucial vote to limit debate.
While Menendez and a few other Democrats may oppose the bill, the main opponents have been Bush's fellow sunbelt Republicans. GOP Sens. David Vitter of Louisiana, Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Jeff Sessions of Alabama led the charge, often backed by Texan John Cornyn.
Late Wednesday, they applauded the Senate's refusal to reject a fairly low-key amendment that, because of parliamentary rules, left leaders no choice but to halt action until Thursday's showdown vote.
"They tried to railroad this through today, but we derailed the train," DeMint said. Asked if he was poised to kill the bill Thursday, DeMint replied, "we hope to."
The bill's bipartisan supporters, including liberals such as Kennedy and conservatives such as Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said they would push hard to survive Thursday's vote. But they were frustrated by the lack of enthusiasm shown by many in the president's party.
Some noted the virtual absence throughout Wednesday's floor debate of Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., who has declined to say how he would vote on the measure.
McConnell left GOP colleagues including Arlen Specter, R-Pa., to contend with the Vitter-DeMint-Sessions group, while Democrats were represented in the chamber most of the day by Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.
The bill is S 1639

Xlration Marine
06-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Send them all home. I was just rear ended by one this morning. That little chit head RANG My BELL. Boy did he ring it and good. Hit and run. Lucky for me his light was working for his plate. Can you say Jail Time.

wsuwrhr
06-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Why aren't we, the people, allowed to kill this "bill" on our own.
Noone I have talked to wants this to happen.
Brian

wsuwrhr
06-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Can you say Jail Time.
Doubtful.

OCMerrill
06-28-2007, 06:51 AM
They don't have enough vots to make it past round two. That vote comes in like an hour but the news says no go. Like 4 votes shy. Still way to close IMO.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Why aren't we, the people, allowed to kill this "bill" on our own.
Noone I have talked to wants this to happen.
Brian
That's what I was wondering.. If we are voting for anything else. Why are we left out of this one. We have to live with them, They don't..

wsuwrhr
06-28-2007, 06:58 AM
That's what I was wondering.. If we are voting for anything else. Why are we left out of this one. We have to live with them, They don't..
Probably because we don't have our own agenda, AND "we" are the "people" with the checkbook.
The easiest money I spent was money I didn't have to earn.
Brian

RitcheyRch
06-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Isnt that the truth. Bush sure is hoping it passes so he can make Mexico happy.
Commom Brian, you know the answer to this...WE DO NOT COUNT AND NOT ONE OF THE POLS GIVES A DAMN WHAT "THE PEOPLE" WANT! The only thing we're good for is providing their spending money. This country is so far outta wack it's sickening,
Rio

Xlration Marine
06-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Doubtful.
Hit and run is a fellony here, they know were he lives and are looking for him. He will go to jail when the catch him. He lives in Mesa, and he fled the accident on the Indian Reservation. If the Gila Police get ahold of him, he won't be too happy.

duner21
06-28-2007, 07:41 AM
This bill just got killed again!

womba
06-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Senate hands Bush major defeat on immigration :D :D :D
From Yahoo news:
DeMint told reporters, "I think the only victory here is for the American people and, symbolically, a government of the people and for the people. The people responded to this issue in a very emotional and just a very engaged way, which changed the minds of many people here in the Senate."
When election time comes around, lets vote for those against this bill!

Riverdog1
06-28-2007, 12:34 PM
This bill just got killed again!
That's because people got involved. There was several radio stations driving this. The phone systems went down because of the millions of calls coming at them. The people only count when they make it known they will not have this. Send them all home. I got T-Boned this past Feb when two of them ran a stop sign in a stolen car and took off running. They caused $8500 damage to my Tahoe. That is what changed my mind. SEND ALL THE FOCKERS HOME!!!:mad:

Old Texan
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
George and Harry arecryingthe Bluzzzzz.....:devil:
The Senate wised up that the American People don't want this piece of crap bill. Now they all need to realize it's time to enforce existing laws and settle the whole damn issue.
Our federal leadership is populated by lying cowards.....:mad:
Fat Teddy says you can't send that many people back. I'd wager if 15 million legal citizens quit paying federal income taxes they'd sure as hell find away to locate "them" haul them off. So why can't they locate the illegals??????? Start by taking away all the jobs and the majority might take the hint and go back on their own.
Hell let's get Fat Teddy to drive the bus back to Mexico, he ain't doing anything constructive over here and that'd solve several problems. A bottle of Cuervo in his hand should get him on board. Be interesting to see if he could cross the bridge over the Rio Grande with out falling off.....:devil:

edog_103
06-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I couldn't understand all this either. Why Bush would keep trying to push this crap through? Then I realized it's good for big businees and that is all he concerned about. Go to www.grassfire.org

Not So Fast
06-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Not to change or hijack this but SINCE it contains something about our leader Mr. Bush I thought it would be of interest so here it is. while watching CNN or The Situation Room ??? They said in a poll of the world leaders (governments) that they TRUSTED BUSH TO LIE LESS THAN PUTIN, hows that!!! His ratings are now in the low 20's percentile. NSF