PDA

View Full Version : Jesel Belt Drive?

widowmaker
06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Anyone ever use a belt drive on a Gen VI motor? I've heard that you have to do some grinding on the block to get them to fit correctly?

widowmaker
06-28-2007, 05:22 PM
nobody? how about used one on a chevy in general?

HONDOG
06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Had 1 on my gen IV Bowtie block for about 15 years. Back then Jesel was the only belt drive available.

Jerrys59
06-29-2007, 02:23 AM
I have one on a gen IV Bowtie

widowmaker
06-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Had 1 on my gen IV Bowtie block for about 15 years. Back then Jesel was the only belt drive available.
I have one on a gen IV Bowtie
And??? would you say love them or hate them.
was there much grinding on the block to make them fit, or was it a bolt on deal?

VAMI
06-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I Have Used Alot Of Them. The Cover Should Be Cut To Fit The Ends Of The Oil Galley But The Pipe Plugs Sometimes Hit The Cover And Need To Be Thin Down.dart Blocks Are The Worst Those Plugs Need To Be Cut Flush. .008-.010 Camshaft End Play They Are Worth The Money

fc-pilot
06-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I have had to do some grinding on the Jesels before. I prefer the Comp belt drive (just my personal preference) and have never needed to grind on one of them. In all fairness, I have not used any of the most recent jesel belts in the last year of two so they may have made some improvements.
Paul

Jerrys59
06-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Sure do like mine. Had to replace the belt a year ago. Started to frey. been on a few motors so it was pretty old.

Warp Speed
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Haven't used many on big blocks, but have worked a ton with them over the past 15 years on small blocks. The only problem with the current Jesel design, is it is pretty easy to over load the belt (High spring pressures, valve train flooding ect...). This doesn't seem to show up except when subjected to long runs in endurance applications. I believe the current belts used are only good to about 24-25hp of load (28mm belt). Just watch when running high spring loads for long periods. This and heat are the 2 biggest enemies. Due to the heat problem (from both engine heat and load) try not to use a system that has an idler wheel. This wheel creates heat, and greatly shortens life in endurance applications.
CV product has the best, state of the art system. This system has been developed working with top Nextel Cup teams over the past couple of years to address's the above issues, and are the nicest units on the market today as far as endurance applications with high loading.
Just a little over all info on modern belt drive systems . As I said before, I haven't ran many on big blocks (although the above information applies to all engines) so I can't help with alot of any fitment specifics.
My cent and a halves worth :)
Warp Speed ;)

fc-pilot
06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
From what I here those CV units are really nice, I just wish I could afford them.
Paul

Jerrys59
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Here is one that took a chit.

HONDOG
06-30-2007, 01:33 AM
And??? would you say love them or hate them.
was there much grinding on the block to make them fit, or was it a bolt on deal?
I've always been happy with mine. I don't remember any fit issues with it.(I guess I could just be one of the fortunate few?)

cyclone
07-01-2007, 08:01 AM
mine works great. bolted right onto a gen iv brodix block with no issues.

widowmaker
07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Awesome, thanks guys for the info. I ordered the drive friday. I'll update here on the fitment for future reference.

Jerrys59
07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Awesome, thanks guys for the info. I ordered the drive friday. I'll update here on the fitment for future reference.
This is a note from Jesel
There may be minor clearancing issues that would need to be addressed. We clearance the covers and remove as much material as we can from the cover. A couple areas to look out for would be around the oil galley plugs and the bump out for the water passage on #1 cylinder.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me robr@jesel.com or by phone at 732-901-1800 x124.

widowmaker
07-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Ok, just an FYI here for anyone who wants to run a jesel belt drive on a Gen VI 502 Motor here are the pics of the areas of the block to be removed. Everything is finished and I'm about ready to put the balancer on for good!
Here is the stock chain set up. Circled are the areas to be removed.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/kjelladams/Jesel0021.jpg
Here is the finished area after grinding ( about 4 hours ) remember you have to cover and mask off everything very well or else that dust gets in your motor and wrecks havoc. Inside the blue circle is where the first copper thrust washer touches the block.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/kjelladams/Jesel0091.jpg
Here it is with the cover installed and you can see the copper thrust washer.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/kjelladams/EnginePics004.jpg
Here it is with the upper pulley without the belt.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/kjelladams/EnginePics009.jpg

Cs19
07-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey check it out, the cam grind numbers are right there, the cats outta the bag!:D
So is that pipe plug that sits under the bronze shim installed lower than the block?
What kind of end play are you looking for on the cam? I have a torrington set up on my belt drive where you can run as little as .001.

widowmaker
07-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey check it out, the cam grind numbers are right there, the cats outta the bag!:D
So is that pipe plug that sits under the bronze shim installed lower than the block?
What kind of end play are you looking for on the cam? I have a torrington set up on my belt drive where you can run as little as .001.
Yes the pipe plug is set lower that the block by about .030. The camshaft endplay they want by Jesel mentions between .005 - .010 so I think mine came out to around .008.

cstraub
07-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Kjell,
Got your message. I was out most of the day yesterday, will call you later today after I get caught up...