PDA

View Full Version : Antelope Point (Powell) theft issues?

Outnumbered
06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Is this ramp secure for overnight parking? We may be camping at Powell and wondered if I should just launch and leave the truck at Wahweep since it seems to be pretty safe and busy there.
Thanks

gramps
06-28-2007, 12:48 PM
From what i have heard it should be safe there. They even offer valet launch services...........

Outnumbered
06-28-2007, 01:12 PM
From what i have heard it should be safe there. They even offer valet launch services...........
I think the vallet service is only at the marina private ramp (the notch ramp). There is also a public ramp just to the south. The public ramp it the one I am considering using.

Baja Big Dog
06-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I think the vallet service is only at the marina private ramp (the notch ramp). There is also a public ramp just to the south. The public ramp it the one I am considering using.
Vallet?? WOW!:D
Was sittin at Moabi for the follies last weekend, told my bro if some kid had any brains they would give rides back to overflow parking for a couple of bucks...It would work great until the local county officals found out!

Outnumbered
06-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Vallet?? WOW!:D
Here is the ramp. They won't let you back your own boat down:rolleyes: I guess there are too many rookies out there:D
http://www.azod.com/Camp-Hiking/Archive/2004/Q4/antelope%20point%20ramp.jpg

CMac
06-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Is this ramp secure for overnight parking? We may be camping at Powell and wondered if I should just launch and leave the truck at Wahweep since it seems to be pretty safe and busy there.
Thanks
We've launched at Antelope ramp about 6 times and left the truck & trailer there for long periods, 7-9 days some times, without any trouble. it's generaly quiet there and I havn't heard of any incidences.
Seems we've been lucky, going in the middle of the week, and got a spot on the ramp every time.:cool:

Outnumbered
06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
We've launched at Antelope ramp about 6 times and left the truck & trailer there for long periods, 7-9 days some times, without any trouble. it's generaly quiet there and I havn't heard of any incidences.
Seems we've been lucky, going in the middle of the week, and got a spot on the ramp every time.:cool:
Cool thanks. That is what I am looking for. Do they have security?

CMac
06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Cool thanks. That is what I am looking for. Do they have security?
No, but I think the fact that you have to pay at the gate keeps some of the theifs out.
thiefs, crap, I cant spell.

CMac
06-28-2007, 01:42 PM
When you goin??

Outnumbered
06-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh, I did not realize there is a gate to the public ramp. Is there a 24 hour attendant?
Not sure yet on the dates, depends on work but most likely over the 4th. You going out too?

2Driver
06-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Are you trying to save the mileage to go up lake? I like the amenities of the Marina and lodge. You should try to go for powell fest in August.

Outnumbered
06-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Are you trying to save the mileage to go up lake? I like the amenities of the Marina and lodge. You should try to go for powell fest in August.
Just trying to avoid the crowds and the narrows if possible. We are going to camp for a few days. You guys going anytime soon?

2Driver
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Just trying to avoid the crowds and the narrows if possible. We are going to camp for a few days. You guys going anytime soon?
Just got back from 5 days in Havi. We may do the powell fest in mid August. Have to take the kid out of school for 2 days. Still open on it.

lake p.a.l.
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
We have used the public ramp several times and left our duallie with the boat trailer every time without ANY issues, knock on wood. We will be there July 4th - 8th. I am delivering 6 golf carts to Antelope Point Marina this Saturday for them to use as added security and people movers for the summer. Let me know if you're going to be there next week, we'll have a few cold ones. Rob

CMac
06-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Oh, I did not realize there is a gate to the public ramp. Is there a 24 hour attendant?
Not sure yet on the dates, depends on work but most likely over the 4th. You going out too?
Nope, your rite, they dont man the gate 24 hours. If you go through when they are there, you will need the mussle free certificate from Waynes Words site, or they will ask you to turn in and have them wash down your boat.
The Antelope marina has come along way and has a nice bar and grill on the water. They just got they're license to serve alchohol. Wish they would have had it on Memorial Day, It was pretty dry after running out last time.
We're going up on friday the 6th, putting in and heading up to a beach, any beach. Possibly 6 other boats going. We monitor 5 and 16. If your there, give us a shout out and we'll do a Patron shot.:cool:

burtandnancy2
06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
We had more theft by the Indians with our boats parked in town at the more well known hotel/motels. They will unsnap your cockpit covers and take anything not tied down but mostly your beer and booze. The local police know who they are but can't seem to get it under control. And these are not like the CRIT cops, they are local Page Police...

Bella
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
That place is AWESOME! Take you stuff there and don't worry about it. The Valet service is AWESOME! the resturant is AWESOME! Or use the public ramp. either way the place is first class!
Brett

DeepVee
06-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Antelope patrols the public ramp parking lot at night or at least they used to. We got caught there one night after the sun went down and decided to sleep in the boat & trucks in the parking lot. A security guard came by at one point and asked us to leave, no camping in the parking lot. He let us stay after we told him we'd be gone at first light.

Sotally Tober
06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Have used it many times for weeks at a time with no problems.

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. What is the deal with the mussle free BS? If your boat is spotless and dry do they still have to do that wash-down crap for $75?
Thanks

24sleekenforcer
06-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. What is the deal with the mussle free BS? If your boat is spotless and dry do they still have to do that wash-down crap for $75?
Thanks
http://www.wayneswords.com/

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks. So I self-certify? That will really keep them out of the lake:rolleyes: What a joke that is. Oh well, easy enough. I am good to go. Thanks again for the help!!!!

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 10:48 PM
OK, got the boat back today from Outdrive Exchange we are heading up for the 4th. We'll keep an eye out. Be sure to stop and say hello if you see our little boat.

Outnumbered
07-05-2007, 10:46 PM
AP was great. Thanks for the help. Would use it again for sure.

Sotally Tober
07-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Glad to hear that you had a good trip. I cant wait to see the new restaurant. Did you happen to eat there?

Mardonzi
07-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Glad to hear you had a good time...
FYI,, for future reference... The marina now has thier liquor license and is serving. In order to get the booze to the marina, they have to transport it over the reservation, which is dry. The marina had to get an exclusion from the Navajo Nation to do this and the local govt isn't happy about this. (There are alot of internal political BS between the Eastern and Western Agency on the Rez). The way the local govt is trying to flex thier muscle is to stop private people heading to the marina and do alcohol checks. If they catch you transporting booze across the rez, they will make you pour it out in front of you and then give you a ticket.
They have had a couple of "checkpoints" over the past couple of weeks on the road heading to the Marina.. Pretty shitty deal if you ask me.
Until the local govt and the Navajo Nation get it together, you might want to launch at Wahweap. A bit of gas used to run up the 9 miles from Wahweap is nothing compared to having to restock your beer at the marina at the marina prices....

Reapers
07-06-2007, 08:40 AM
So how do you get a mussel free certificate? All new to me this year. Thanks Tobi (928) 308 8093

Outnumbered
07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
So how do you get a mussel free certificate? All new to me this year. Thanks Tobi (928) 308 8093
http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upload/Final%20Self%20Cert%20Packet%20May%2022.pdf

Outnumbered
07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Glad to hear that you had a good trip. I cant wait to see the new restaurant. Did you happen to eat there?
No did not get a chance to eat there. We headed up lake to avoid the crowds. It was very crowded this year.

24sleekenforcer
07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
We ate there on sunday for lunch and on tuesday for dinner both meals were good , I would do it again and sitting on the lake and having dinner and a drink was great.

Outnumbered
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear you had a good time...
FYI,, for future reference... The marina now has thier liquor license and is serving. In order to get the booze to the marina, they have to transport it over the reservation, which is dry. The marina had to get an exclusion from the Navajo Nation to do this and the local govt isn't happy about this. (There are alot of internal political BS between the Eastern and Western Agency on the Rez). The way the local govt is trying to flex thier muscle is to stop private people heading to the marina and do alcohol checks. If they catch you transporting booze across the rez, they will make you pour it out in front of you and then give you a ticket.
They have had a couple of "checkpoints" over the past couple of weeks on the road heading to the Marina.. Pretty shitty deal if you ask me.
Until the local govt and the Navajo Nation get it together, you might want to launch at Wahweap. A bit of gas used to run up the 9 miles from Wahweap is nothing compared to having to restock your beer at the marina at the marina prices....
Wow, that is total BS. Glad that did not happen to us. That alone is a good way to run people off. They always have to get greedy and fock it all up. Just like that Grand Canyon Skywalk BS.:rolleyes:

Magic34
07-06-2007, 05:35 PM
That place is AWESOME! Take you stuff there and don't worry about it. The Valet service is AWESOME! the resturant is AWESOME! Or use the public ramp. either way the place is first class!
Brett
You sound like an infomerical. You would think you knew the people who owned it or something.:)

AzLakeLizard
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks. So I self-certify? That will really keep them out of the lake:rolleyes: What a joke that is. Oh well, easy enough. I am good to go. Thanks again for the help!!!!
Yep.. and some azz hole came through "not knowing" the boat was infested with those little shiats.. and was told to pull over and go to the wash station.. "WAY INFECTED".. Hot washed that boat and trailer off.. but how many others have just waltzed on by??? :mad:

NdaWind
07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
They need to take lessons from CA agri check points. They ask you were you been and then still check your boat stopping traffic for miles - They don't want them lil suckers here