PDA

View Full Version : Jurors Reach Verdict In Trial Of Ex-Deputy Accused In Airman's Shooting

RVRKID
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
NOT GUILTY on BOTH COUNTS

thumbs
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Is this the one where the officer tells the guy to get up and them shoots him?
If so It really makes me wonder what did the jury hear that made them vote the way they did.

RVRKID
06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
That is the one, I wonder myself. How does a person comply and then get shot?

my21advantage
06-28-2007, 03:22 PM
NOT GUILTY on BOTH COUNTS
Where's the story?

bear down
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
A San Bernardino County jury today acquitted a former sheriff's deputy of attempted voluntary manslaughter for opening fire on an unarmed, off-duty Air Force police officer after a high-speed chase last year, a brutal shooting videotaped by a bystander and aired nationwide.
Ivory John Webb Jr., 46, the son of a former Compton police chief, was the first law enforcement officer ever to face criminal charges for an on-duty shooting in San Bernardino County. Webb, who also was also acquitted of assault with a deadly firearm, faced up to an 18-year prison sentence.
The jury of eight men and four women had spent less than half a day deliberating after the four-week trial in the San Bernardino courtroom, a case dominated by the video footage of the January 2006 shooting on a residential street in Chino and dueling experts on police tactics and use of deadly force.
The prosecution's case focused on 1 minute, 15 seconds of raw, shadowy video, recorded about 10:30 p.m. Jan. 29, 2006, that showed Webb towering over Elio Carrion and then opening fire as the Carrion appeared to be following his order to get up from a sprawled position on the pavement.
Carrion, a 23-year-old senior airman who was home on leave after a six-month tour in Iraq, had been a passenger in a Corvette that led Webb on a chase that reached 120 mph through residential neighborhoods, ending when the car crashed into a block wall and Carrion jumped out of the car and onto the ground.
In the video, Carrion is seen raising his left hand toward Webb at least twice and then Carrion appears to use his right hand to gesture as he tells Webb several times, "We're here on your side" and "We mean you no harm."
Webb tells Carrion to keep his hands on the ground and then appears to tell Carrion to "get up." When Carrion says, "OK, I'm getting up," and starts to rise, Webb shoots him three times.
Because of the video, the case initially drew comparisons to the beating of Rodney King by Los Angeles police officers in 1991. Those comparisons quickly dissipated, however, because though Webb is black and Carrion is Latino, the criticism of Webb centered on the use of excessive force, not allegations of racism.
Prosecutor R. Lewis Cope also leaned heavily on police tactics experts, arguing the tape showed an angry deputy whose repeated tactical errors led him to fire on Carrion without provocation, including Webb's failure to wait for backup to arrive.
Lead tactics expert Joe Callanan, a former Los Angeles County sheriff's lieutenant who trained officers on the use of force during 22 years with the department, said Webb engaged in "extraordinarily risky" behavior and shouldn't have left the safety of his patrol car.
During his testimony, Callanan also insinuated that Webb's decision to fire his weapon was a "deliberate" act -- not a panicked response -- because the deputy paused for at least a half-second between each of the three shots he fired.
"Rapid fire is more typical of panic situation Timed fire is more deliberate, more thoughtful," Callahan testified.
However, an expert witness for the defense told jurors that Webb was clearly justified in shooting because, as the video recording showed, Carrion ignored commands to keep his hands on the ground and appeared to reach into his Oakland Raiders jacket for a weapon just before the deputy opened fire.
"There were a couple of times where [Webb] would have been justified in firing," Inglewood Police Sgt. Kent Ferrin testified. "He showed great restraint."
Webb's lead attorney, Michael Schwartz, hammered Carrion's credibility, arguing that Carrion was not a heroic Iraq veteran portrayed in the media but a "nameless, faceless suspect" who endangered Webb's life and the lives of others by failing to stop his drunk friend from leading police at more than 100 mph through residential streets.
Schwartz accused Carrion of intentionally misleading the jury about how drunk he was on the night of the shooting.
He argued a military policeman like Carrion should have known better than to argue with a police officer than to and disobey commands to stop talking and keep his hands on the ground when he was being held at gunpoint.
Schwartz argued that Webb fired in self-defense not just because of one movement by Carrion, but because of a combination of threatening movements that followed a pattern of noncompliance by the airman.
Webb, the only officer present during the shooting, initially told detectives that Carrion had lunged at him after ignoring orders to stay on the ground.
Several days later, after watching a clip of the video, the 46-year-old former deputy told detectives he believed Carrion was reaching for a weapon when he fired.
During the trial, the prosecutor seized on those conflicting statements, saying it showed Webb initially tried to deceive investigators and then was forced to change his story when he realized the shooting was caught on tape.
Webb's attorney dismissed the prosecutor's claims that Webb made conflicting statements to investigators, arguing that Webb's description of what happened in a two-hour interview after the shooting was supported by what was seen in the videotape.
Not every statement uttered that night, Schwartz said, can be heard on the videotape. He said even the transcript of the muddied voices on videotape was in dispute.
maeve.reston@latimes.com
Times Staff Writers Jonathan Abrams and Sara Lin contributed to this report.

RVRKID
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Heard it on the news but NBC finally updated there site.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19491943/

Jbb
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Why does this not surprise me?......The cop belongs in prison....

CarBizIndio
06-28-2007, 03:42 PM
The only good cop is a dead cop.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't even know where to begin with such an asinine comment.....

redneckcharlie
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Why does this not surprise me?......The cop belongs in prison....
There is a complete lack of accountability in this country!

all charged up
06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Just stay in California. I dont want to see you in my beat. Your a dumbass.

Jordy
06-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't even know where to begin with such an asinine comment.....
I did start a new thread with CBI's views, just to kind of consolidate things. :D

C-2
06-28-2007, 03:57 PM
It's all or nothing in a criminal case - I doubt he (the county) will fair as well when the civil trial rolls around (if it even makes it to trial). And now he will sue the county. Lotsa suing gonna take place:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Baja Big Dog
06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Wonder if they will give him his job back? And if so will they pay him his back pay??
Im guessing YES!!!
The piece of shit is gonna get rich off of this!!!!

Baja Big Dog
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Is this what this douch bag calls one of his "sick sense of humor" comments?
Wow, thats a heavy statment, are you going to elorbrate?

Kilrtoy
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
The shit bag was drunk , on coke running from the police at over 100MPH endangering innocent peoples lives.
Then when given an order to get up(tactically incorrect) he reachs into his jacket as to pull a weapon.
the jury did the right thing case closed...
But wait now the FBI will enter the pic and ruin Webbs life even further just like they did to koon...

Kilrtoy
06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, what does the FBI know. :rolleyes:
Good, I hope they ruin his life. Piece of crap. We all saw the video, but I'm sure you saw a super secret police eyes only video that showed the perp pulling a bazooka and some nunchuks.
Actually I have seen the unedited version that the news does not show the general public....
Dont mind the two felony crimes this heroic( I mean gang member piece of shit) gulf war veteran committed against society

vmjtc3
06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Actually I have seen the unedited version that the news does not show the general public....
Dont mind the two felony crimes this heroic( I mean gang member piece of shit) gulf war veteran committed against society
I am not up on this story, what were the crimes he committed?

redneckcharlie
06-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, what does the FBI know. :rolleyes:
Good, I hope they ruin his life. Piece of crap. We all saw the video, but I'm sure you saw a super secret police eyes only video that showed the perp pulling a bazooka and some nunchuks.
The last part of that is fricken hilarious! Didn't you know that all police officers have the last say in everything, and that their infallible? Before someone starts accusing me of being liberal, I'm probably one of the most conservative people you will ever meet. I'm just not one that thinks Police Officers should have cart blache. The reason many people have a negative opinion of Law Enforcement these days is the major lack in professionalism. Thats not to say, that there aren't some very good officers.

sofa king smooth
06-28-2007, 06:03 PM
The shit bag was drunk , on coke running from the police at over 100MPH endangering innocent peoples lives.
Then when given an order to get up(tactically incorrect) he reachs into his jacket as to pull a weapon.
the jury did the right thing case closed...
But wait now the FBI will enter the pic and ruin Webbs life even further just like they did to koon...
Sure glad all cops are such saints. None of them drink and drive.:rolleyes: Typical cop opinion on the case. Koon was a super guy just like this cop. Hope they ruin him!

3 daytona`s
06-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Met some CHP and others awhile attending one of the last at Puddingstone eating at a Denny`s they told us things about the Rodney King ordeal.These guys told me the Truth they were there he should have been shot there that evening and all would have been saved.:mad:

Kilrtoy
06-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Sure glad all cops are such saints. None of them drink and drive.:rolleyes: Typical cop opinion on the case. Koon was a super guy just like this cop. Hope they ruin him!
Sad part is, I stated facts , not an opinion, unlike the rest of you....

Old Man Havasu
06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Was that a weak attempt at sarcasm?????
That statement SUCKS!
And I just got a speeding ticket....

Celfesh
06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=bear down;2646148] However, an expert witness for the defense told jurors that Webb was clearly justified in shooting because, as the video recording showed, Carrion ignored commands to keep his hands on the ground and appeared to reach into his Oakland Raiders jacket for a weapon just before the deputy opened fire.
Oh Well, One less Raiders Fan now...

SurfOnH20
06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by CarBizIndio View Post
CarBizIndio comments are welcomed but you show yourself to be a real dumb ass !! Go back and get your GED...