PDA

View Full Version : proper way to drive a small jet boat?...

Riverat84
06-28-2007, 06:16 PM
hey everyone, i have a 76' eliminator bubble deck 19' jet, and as most of all you guys on here, it only has about an inch and a half of freeboard...ive had it about 2 years, and have only taken it out less than 20 times, and most of my trips have been to the strip on weekdays when the water is almost glass all day long...there have been a few times where it was 2'+ chop, and the whole time the boat was slamming on every wake i hit...is it just me? or is there a proper way to steer the boat into and out of the wakes?...probably a stupid question, but then again, every one is a stupid one on here lol!
any advice/help would be appreciated!...
Reid

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 06:29 PM
When there are rollers and youre at speed, I just kind of run parallell with them and go over them sideways not too fast, that always makes for a nicer ride.
But if it's just flat out choppy you just got to stick your foot in it and stay on top, make sure you have a rev limiter:D
But if it's just mediocre chop and you dont want to scare your passengers just take it easy with the bow high and plow the water.
But the easiest moto is "When in doubt...Throttle out!
But when I'm in my Spectra I just plow whatever gets in my way:D

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh yah... and a splash guard makes a huge difference of keeping water out the back of the boat

Mr. Crusader 83
06-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Reid, I trim the jet up, so i get more bow lift, and cruz through it at about 3000rpms. The bow is up high enough not to get you wet and it just rolls over the swells. I see alot of bad water in havasu. :jawdrop:

GunninGopher
06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
If you have the room, you can sometimes find an angle that works with the speed you want to go, but that is usually pretty fast, and there isn't a lot of room at the strip.
A little bow weight will help, too. I don't have a dirverter, so I'll put the EZ up under the bow and even slide a cooler under there.

BrendellaJet
06-29-2007, 08:21 AM
try using the V in the boat to help cut through the wake. Obviously there are some wakes that are too big, but in 1-2 foot chop , running the diverter down will help you keep the boat at speed and will provide a smoother ride. Depending on the boat, there comes a point when if not going fast enough in chop with the diverter down will result in taking some water over the bow.

Riverat84
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Reid, I trim the jet up, so i get more bow lift, and cruz through it at about 3000rpms. The bow is up high enough not to get you wet and it just rolls over the swells. I see alot of bad water in havasu. :jawdrop:
nice....yeah i wanted to ask u since u have had your crusader out at havi...im scared to do that haha...i need one of those 'splash guards'...where do i get one put in and how much guys?
reid