PDA

View Full Version : Math and science not important?

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Only half of school aged kids think math and science is important.
What do you guys think?
There isn't a day that goes by in my life when I don't use math.
I think it is as important as English. Math is a universal language.
Brian
The dumbing down of America. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060215/ap_on_sc/science_math)

YeLLowBoaT
02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
I think math is more important then english. I can't think of a single job where you do not use math on a daily basis.....
then again I majored in math...

NorCal Gameshow
02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
it's all important...but, sales and being fluent in chinese and english is the future :hammer2:

spectras only
02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
it's all important...but, being fluent in chinese and spanglish the future :hammer2: :p :D

topless
02-15-2006, 04:52 PM
it's all important...but, sales and being fluent in chinese and english is the future :hammer2:
I like it when you call an Asian business, ask for the owner and the guy says "ona not hea, you caw rata"

piper
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
I use math on a daily basis here. It's very important to me.

Rexone
02-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I like it when you call an Asian business, ask for the owner and the guy says "ona not hea, you caw rata"
:D :D

Boatcop
02-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Wow. That happened the last time I called Rex Marine and asked for Mike?????
:boxed:

Jbb
02-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Me too...... :mad: ...Then he said..." You are Jbb?...That goofball from Hot Boat?".....Mike says he is not in.... :p

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Probably thought you were going to ask for a catalog.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Me too...... :mad: ...Then he said..." You are Jbb?...That goofball from Hot Boat?".....Mike says he is not in.... :p
See above....

Ziggy
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Most help desk lines are like that too.........

GHT
02-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't think Math or English is important and I'm doing well ($10.50 per hour). :rolleyes:
The people whom think this are the people that will make $10.50 (if they are lucky) It also keeps the demand, for those who think different, HIGH.... More power to the losers..... Yea!!!!! More money for all of us that are motivated to do good... :)

DUNDUN
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
kids are lazy, they say its not important because they have this dream that someday they wont have to use their brain to solve problems ..and shit.

HotDogz
02-15-2006, 07:18 PM
in 2004, the U.S. was supposedly only responsible for producing 3% of the worlds scientists and engineers. Didnt always used to be that way.

Jbb
02-15-2006, 07:23 PM
kids are lazy, they say its not important because they have this dream that someday they wont have to use their brain to solve problems ..and shit.
I have a dream......It involves certain elements of my siggy line.... :p

GHT
02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
in 2004, the U.S. was supposedly only responsible for producing 3% of the worlds scientists and engineers. Didnt always used to be that way.
Kind of true.... The U.S. has always paid to have the smart foreign scientists to move here and work... I would venture to say we continue the same practice..

ECeptor
02-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I thought I saw a statistic that 1/2 the Ph.D.s issued by American universities were to non-US citizens.
Make me want to go back to school just to help swing that back the other direction!
Honestly, I believe it's because most Americans don't struggle...really struggle like those in other countries. If people grew up with a hard life they'd be more motivated to work harder. If you grow up with everything you want then why work harder? My ex-brother in law was the perfect example - 7 yrs in college, no more than a sophomore in any 1 major, only took 9 hrs his last semester and 1 of those 3 classes was wine tasting! He's a loser, but has a trust fund so what's his motivation to bust ass?

GHT
02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I thought I saw a statistic that 1/2 the Ph.D.s issued by American universities were to non-US citizens.
Make me want to go back to school just to help swing that back the other direction!
Honestly, I believe it's because most Americans don't struggle...really struggle like those in other countries. If people grew up with a hard life they'd be more motivated to work harder. If you grow up with everything you want then why work harder? My ex-brother in law was the perfect example - 7 yrs in college, no more than a sophomore in any 1 major, only took 9 hrs his last semester and 1 of those 3 classes was wine tasting! He's a loser, but has a trust fund so what's his motivation to bust ass?
Well said.... This is, more than likely the root of the reason for the low stats.
The hard workers alway get the rewards.

ECeptor
02-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Kinda...kinda not. My ex-bro in law got all the goodies - cars, toys, etc. without any hard work. These spoiled kids get damn near everything for no work while the hard workers our out there bustin' hump trying to get a fraction of what the trust fund babies have....

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
While I agree with the principals, I don't think it is very accurate.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Goes against everything I teach my kids. Math and science are king in La Casa de ShockwaveBob.
Good man, good man
Brian

HM
02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
working hard and smart get the rewards. Too many people work hard and get nowhere and have no idea why, and want to blame the system or other people or think it is not fair. It is true, it is not fair. Get over it. Work smart, then get other people to work hard for you. The educated elitest always talk about how stupid many of the rich people are. I agree, most of the rich are not the smartest people on the planet, but they are smart enough to hire smart hard working people who value their education more than their net worth and can't figure out why they don't get ahead when they are smarter and work harder. They don't get it.
As far as the trust fund babies.....someone earned that money, and it is that person's right to ruin someone by giving it to someone with no accountibilty or responsibility who will just piss it away. The good news/bad news is that most trust fund babies don't pass the wealth on. They call it "shirt-sleeves to shirt sleeves in 3 generations" meaning basically wealth is eaten up in 3 generation and the forth generation has to go to work.

Kilrtoy
02-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Goes against everything I teach my kids. Math and science are king in La Casa de ShockwaveBob.
I thought you were the king

upsman105
02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this changes the subject but, I talked to my old shop teacher today, he said they eliminated his job, all shop classes, wood, metal, auto, the only electives left are art and music. Grade school and high school, when did this happen??

Kilrtoy
02-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't know if this changes the subject but, I talked to my old shop teacher today, he said they eliminated his job, all shop classes, wood, metal, auto, the only electives left are art and music. Grade school and high school, when did this happen??
Yes this is true, In L.A.City there is only one shop left in the whole district. It is in ELA and when that teacher retires they will discontinue that class... It is sad because not all kids will become DR, LAWYERS, pilots....
They ned some sort of life skills in HS because for MOST it is their last stop before life hits them smack in the face....

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I am glad my auto and machineshop teachers both passed before it happened to them. Would have broke both their hearts.
They had a big part in shaping the person I am today.
Godspeed gentlemen.
Brian

HM
02-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I'll make sure your kids get to interview to go to work for my kids. ;)
Math and science are skills and some people have natural skills here. Definitely a benefit to make these skills second nature. But, I am teaching my kids that life isn't fair, and there will be no inheritance. I will teach them not to do what the masses are doing, but to look at what succesful people are doing, and I am not just talking money. When you want to be a great golfer, people look up to the pros like Tiger Woods, and read articles on him and his swing. If you had a choice of getting Tiger Woods swing or his clubs....which would you choose? The clubs!!! Why? With his swing, the clubs really don't matter. And that is why so many people never get ahead in life...they keep looking for better clubs and they wonder why they are such hackers at life, or worse, they blame the clubs or think other people have better clubs.

xs ultra
02-15-2006, 09:18 PM
The high school in are area has no industrial art classes. None ,zero.
they come out of high school with no skills of what the real world is about.
Not every one can push a pencil. It bad -what the hell happen to the schools.
And what happen to all the old machines they all had $$.I know shops today that still uses the old machines they had in the 60's. Well I know what happened they were sold .what did they use the money for? Now they say they have no funds for new stuff. I don't get it.

upsman105
02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
One of my favorite classes, I learned a lot more than smooth wood in there, and without auto shop I would be paying someone else for every stupid thing to do with my car. It is disgusting. Meanwhile we have to pay millions to teach illegal aliens english.

DUNDUN
02-15-2006, 09:56 PM
my school doesnt have autoshop or woodshop even.. but we have fashion design. :rolleyes:

rrrr
02-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I called Rex Marine for a catalog, and the guy said "cat or dog, we no chinee restaurat, you have rong number, OK? :D :D

wsuwrhr
02-19-2006, 08:57 AM
My kids are going to the University of Spoiled Children. :p
I have never heard of this place.
Where can I find it?
Brian