PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 ton truck rides like crap..any remedies?

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I love my truck, but don't really need in now that I'm boatless. I really don't want to go to a 1/2 ton because of the occasional heavy towing needs, but the 3/4 ton rides like crap without any weight (especially through the Banning area on the 10).
I remember seeing a product that was basically a water bed mattress that strapped to the floor of the truck bed to add weight to the rear for a better ride. Anyone have one of these or use something similar?
Has anyone noticed a better ride once their truck was lifted?:idea:
S

Froggystyle
06-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I love my truck, but don't really need in now that I'm boatless. I really don't want to go to a 1/2 ton because of the occasional heavy towing needs, but the 3/4 ton rides like crap without any weight (especially through the Banning area on the 10).
I remember seeing a product that was basically a water bed mattress that strapped to the floor of the truck bed to add weight to the rear for a better ride. Anyone have one of these or use something similar?
S
I put my 2500HD on air bags and solved ALL of my problems. I lowered it, but there are companies doing air lifts that are just bitchin.
That is my recommendation...

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
06-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Take the overload leaf spring out in the rear.

shippingguy
06-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Go buy a couple of bags of concrete at Home Depot or Lowes and put them in the bed. Problem solved:) :D Seriously though you can put some Deaver rear leaf springs in and throw some air bags on and it will help out
alot.

Gilligan
06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
My dually rides pretty nice with a 2000lb chunk of steel in the back. That will kill your MPG.

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 11:45 AM
This thing adds up to 400 lbs to the bed. Would that be enough weight?
http://images.autoanything.com/images/products/med/hitch_accessories/shurtrax_compact.jpg
I was thinking about Deaver, but they're a little pricey.
S

Mrs. Restless22
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Buy a Chevy?:confused: :D

Mountainstone
06-29-2007, 12:15 PM
What brand of truck?
On the GM 3/4-ton trucks, you can reverse the overload spring in the leaf spring pack to smooth the ride in the rear. Some claim to like the ride of different shocks compared to stock, but that is subjective.

Deano
06-29-2007, 12:19 PM
4 link and bag it....it will ride like cadi

bear down
06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
What air pressure do you guys run on your bags when not towing..I have my bags empty. I have a Duramax shortbed 2500.

riverbound
06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
S
I have always gotten a better ride out of my trucks after they were lifted, Just dont skimp on the shocks ;)
I have a 9" lifton my 3/4 ton dodge and it rides better than it did when stock.

BajaMike
06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I put a shell on mine....rides fine....but that stretch on I-10 through Banning is a little bumpy no matter what you're driving...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34072&stc=1&d=1183149185
:jawdrop:

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Let's not make this a Dodge bashing thread OK?:argue:

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 12:53 PM
I have always gotten a better ride out of my trucks after they were lifted, Just dont skimp on the shocks ;)
I have a 9" lifton my 3/4 ton dodge and it rides better than it did when stock.
I lifted my last Dodge and noticed a huge improvment in ride, but it was a 1/2 ton. I guess I can justify that lift to my wife now. I don't think 9" is for me though. I'll probably stay around 6.

Deano
06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't think 9" is for me though. I'll probably stay around 6.
That's what my girlfriend said right before we meet....:)

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 01:11 PM
That's what my girlfriend said right before we meet....:)
:D Wasn't thinking :D

Deano
06-29-2007, 01:15 PM
:D Wasn't thinking :D
neither was she, but I'm happy with her choice :D

Pussywhippled
06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Just tie a doughnut to your steering wheel, problem solved...

mbrown2
06-29-2007, 03:09 PM
....but that stretch on I-10 through Banning is a little bumpy no matter what you're driving...
Bingo...all 3/4's ride like crap through that area and areas like it....unless you are bagged and lowered like Froggy...even bagged with the stock springs will cause you jitters....been through there in Dodges, Chevy and Ford 3/4's and the suc....with the hippity hop motion...would also just get in the next lane to the slow lane and that was the smoothest...but you possibly go slower
Also, I find it funny folks throw weight back there to deal with the ride and kill MPG...heck if you don't tow a boat back and forth you really don't need a 3/4 ton...I learned that and now I drive a car to the river. :)

Froggystyle
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Bingo...all 3/4's ride like crap through that area and areas like it....unless you are bagged and lowered like Froggy...even bagged with the stock springs will cause you jitters....been through there in Dodges, Chevy and Ford 3/4's and the suc....with the hippity hop motion...would also just get in the next lane to the slow lane and that was the smoothest...but you possibly go slower
Also, I find it funny folks throw weight back there to deal with the ride and kill MPG...heck if you don't tow a boat back and forth you really don't need a 3/4 ton...I learned that and now I drive a car to the river. :)
What I would do on a stockish height deal is put a weak spring in place of the stock springs and then bag it. It is termed "air over steel" in the business. I did that in front. I took a 1/2 ton set of torsion bars out of a Tahoe and put them in my 3/4 ton. Without bags, it essentially lays frame, but they are doing most of the work for lifting the front end. The air acts like a "spotter" at the gym, just providing enough lift to move the front end up.
The rear is 1 1/2 ton bags and a four link. I run about 30 psi in each while driving, 40 while towing. In front it runs about 60 psi either way.
By using a light spring "air over steel" you can keep all of your factory suspension geometry and have the ride of air. All of your support comes from the air system, and you can retain your factory ride height regardless of load.
Hugely improved ride. For long trips, it is one of the nicest riding cars I have been in. Still handles like a truck (but better with the four link rear) but the actual ride quality over crappy roads is really nice.
Plus, it gets better mileage than any of our other vehicles at over 25 just cruising.

ski-d
06-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I have a 3/4 ton silverado, Crew. 4WD.. Edelbrock Shocks made it handle
like a sports car.. ( 305 20's helped too) my .02

Froggystyle
06-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I have a 3/4 ton silverado, Crew. 4WD.. Edelbrock Shocks made it handle
like a sports car.. ( 305 20's helped too) my .02
Sounds like you don't know what sports cars handle like. :D
It handles like a truck. It might handle better than the dump truck it used to handle like, but dropped 10" in the rear and 8" in front, on a four link with trick shocks, 22" rims and over 450hp mine doesn't bear any relation to the sports cars I have owned. It handles like a good-handling 7500 pound truck. ;)
This Porsche Boxter I am driving right now, as metro-sexual as it is pretty much defines what sports cars handle like. I haven't gotten it to go sideways yet. It just hangs like a long-nailed cat on a shag rug.

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Sounds like you don't know what sports cars handle like. :D
It handles like a truck. It might handle better than the dump truck it used to handle like, but dropped 10" in the rear and 8" in front, on a four link with trick shocks, 22" rims and over 450hp mine doesn't bear any relation to the sports cars I have owned. It handles like a good-handling 7500 pound truck. ;)
This Porsche Boxter I am driving right now, as metro-sexual as it is pretty much defines what sports cars handle like. I haven't gotten it to go sideways yet. It just hangs like a long-nailed cat on a shag rug.
Agreed....Now if they'd just put some HP in the 987 (boxster / caymen) we'd be taklin'. Too bad they are afraid that it'd be a better car than 997
S

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
You need the Lorenz Suspension Dual Purpose Leafs. I've been researching this and this is what I am getting...
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-forum-no-engine-transmission-discussions/183993-lorenz-bilstein-5100-system-installed.html

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
http://lorenzindustries.com/home2.html

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
When are you moving out here? Maybe we can order a 2 for 1 deal and help each other do the install.

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 07:55 PM
I've been back and forth for the past 3 weeks now. The house is to close on the 3rd of Aug.

Invisible Sun
06-29-2007, 08:07 PM
You need the Lorenz Suspension Dual Purpose Leafs. I've been researching this and this is what I am getting...
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-forum-no-engine-transmission-discussions/183993-lorenz-bilstein-5100-system-installed.html
Are you getting the full suspension or just the rear springs?
S

mjc
06-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I have an 87 1Ton daully and I just let some air out of the tires and it rides fantastic. just air the tires up before you tow or load any weight. also the number 3 and 4 lane s in banning are much smoother the the others.

Outnumbered
06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Are you getting the full suspension or just the rear springs?
S
I'm going to get the complete 5100 System. It runs $1,700 with the complete new springs and shocks front/rear. You won't have to bag it unless you are hauling/towing some big stuff.
So I guess you decided to keep it afterall:D

pw_Tony
06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Why can't you just take a leaf out of the leaf pack????
Or take them apart and polish where the leafs come together so they slide a lil easiar than the casting on them.
Or both? That only cost $free dollars

GETSOME
06-29-2007, 09:11 PM
:confused: Sounds like you don't know what sports cars handle like. :D
Do you have a raider nation sticker on the back window too??:confused:
Diesels should not be lowered:)

riverbound
06-29-2007, 09:36 PM
I lifted my last Dodge and noticed a huge improvment in ride, but it was a 1/2 ton. I guess I can justify that lift to my wife now. I don't think 9" is for me though. I'll probably stay around 6.
I started off with the 6" Skyjacker Kit. didnt like the way it looked (back was higher then front)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/Dodge002.jpg
So I brought it back in and decided instead of bringing the back down....we went up more on the front and added Fox 2.0s all the way around.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/Dodge008.jpg

BajaMike
06-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I started off with the 6" Skyjacker Kit. didnt like the way it looked (back was higher then front)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/Dodge002.jpg
So I brought it back in and decided instead of bringing the back down....we went up more on the front and added Fox 2.0s all the way around.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/Dodge008.jpg
Nice looking truck....for a Dodge.....just kidding, it's a very nice looking truck!
My Chevy 2500 HD crew cab is totally stock, except for the shell and 18" wheels and BFG tires, and I think it rides great, but I like a firm ride.
My only complaint is the passenger side seat belt tightens up on the passenger....the drivers side is fine, but the passengers side seems to keep tightening up as you drive along, and eventually you have to un-buckle it. My old 98 Chevy did the same thing, and since I rarely sit over there I never did anything about it......:idea:
Any one else have that problem (probably off-topic....but guys love to talk about their trucks and I don't want to start another thread).......:D

riverbound
06-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice looking truck....for a Dodge.....just kidding, it's a very nice looking truck!
My Chevy 2500 HD crew cab is totally stock, except for the shell and 18" wheels and BFG tires, and I think it rides great, but I like a firm ride.
My only complaint is the passenger side seat belt tightens up on the passenger....the drivers side is fine, but the passengers side seems to keep tightening up as you drive along, and eventually you have to un-buckle it. My old 98 Chevy did the same thing, and since I rarely sit over there I never did anything about it......:idea:
Any one else have that problem (probably off-topic....but guys love to talk about their trucks and I don't want to start another thread).......:D
I dont think I have that problem in my truck....but I do recall having that happen to me a time or two in a Chevy:idea:

BajaMike
06-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I dont think I have that problem in my truck....but I do recall having that happen to me a time or two in a Chevy:idea:
Ouch....good point.....but of course I bought another Chevy cause I never sit over there.....:)
When driving my 84 year old mom out to her Palm Desert house.....she was bugged by it.......
:)

Inked
06-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Ive lifted it with Deavers in the rear, bagged it as well and added shocks with the reservoirs,,,,,, rides perfect on smooth flooring, get on the 118 in Porter Ranch and it goes to hell.... A little weight always helps IMO...

Invisible Sun
06-30-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm going to get the complete 5100 System. It runs $1,700 with the complete new springs and shocks front/rear. You won't have to bag it unless you are hauling/towing some big stuff.
So I guess you decided to keep it afterall:D
Yeah I'm keeping it. I didn't make any sense for me to sell it and get another truck in the 1/2 ton version when I know that I'll just end up with another boat or towing one of my mopars around. $1700 leaves room for a wheel and tire upgrade. Your right the Lorenz suspensions are getting a good reviews. Looks like a weekend job. I could bring the tools if you've got an air compressor.
S

Outnumbered
06-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Yeah I'm keeping it. I didn't make any sense for me to sell it and get another truck in the 1/2 ton version when I know that I'll just end up with another boat or towing one of my mopars around. $1700 leaves room for a wheel and tire upgrade. Your right the Lorenz suspensions are getting a good reviews. Looks like a weekend job. I could bring the tools if you've got an air compressor.
S
I've only got a pancake compressor but I do have a pretty decent tool collection. Lets talk after the 4th. Its too damn hot anyway. I'm thinking we can do this in the fall when it cools down:D

Tequila-John
07-01-2007, 08:09 AM
i have a ford excusion v10 3/4 What can i do to get a nicer ride? Other than get a different car/truck.
New shocks? I just have the stocks on there still

cc322
07-01-2007, 08:18 AM
i have a ford excusion v10 3/4 What can i do to get a nicer ride? Other than get a different car/truck.
New shocks? I just have the stocks on there still
Through a set of Bilsteins on there should help some.

Froggystyle
07-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Diesels should not be lowered:)
Tow vehicles shouldn't be lifted... :rolleyes:
I used to have it lifted. That was cool if you want to pick up overweight chicks with nautical star tattoos and SRH sweatshirts...
As it is, I have probably one of the most comfortable, easiest to load, best mileage, best handling, most unique and trick looking 2500HD's on the road.
Enjoy your belly button... everybody has one.

onesloryd
07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Take a look at Carli or Thuren Fabrication. I have a 1 ton with about 7" lift rides pretty good. The key is getting shocks valved correctly.
http://thurenfabrication.com/
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/

riverbound
07-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Ouch....good point.....but of course I bought another Chevy cause I never sit over there.....:)
When driving my 84 year old mom out to her Palm Desert house.....she was bugged by it.......
:)
wanst meant to be a dig on Chevys...just sayingI have realized it a couple times in them.....must be a chevy thing.

Stiletto24
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I have a 06 2500 HD diesel Long bed 4 door 6' RCD lift w/ 35" nitto terra graplers w 20" moto metals. Rides great, Typical weekend is from Huntington Beach to Parker Az.
Talk to Outlaw OffRoad
Tel. 949.581.5001
Fax. 949.581.5003
15791 Rockfield Blvd. Irvine, CA 92618
Info@outlawoffroad.com
My stock 05 Ford F250 road harsh it was a long bed 4 door also.
Good Luck.

little rowe boat
07-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Then the probs. would really start.