PDA

View Full Version : Thought I would ask you guys

OverKill
06-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I have a single carb. tunnel ram with an 850cfm Holly with mechanical secondaries. I am tossing around the thought if buying Wilson Manifolds single carb. sheet metal tunnel ram.
Does anyone here have a sheet metal tunnel ram? and are there any better performance gains as to my old school Weiand tunnel ram. Please let me know before I drop the big buck again.
OverKill

VAMI
06-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I Use A Dart Cast Tunnel Ram With A Sheetmetal Top Made At Hogans With A 1250 Onit It Runs Great.what Is Your Engine Spec Size And Cam And Comp? And Rpm You Can Turn?

OverKill
06-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I Use A Dart Cast Tunnel Ram With A Sheetmetal Top Made At Hogans With A 1250 Onit It Runs Great.what Is Your Engine Spec Size And Cam And Comp? And Rpm You Can Turn?
I guess that would help! I have a 468 with a 280 high lift 231 at 50 cam. I have just under 11 to 1 Comp.

cyclone
06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I guess that would help! I have a 468 with a 280 high lift 231 at 50 cam. I have just under 11 to 1 Comp.
I'd by the edelbrock TR for your motor. much cheaper than the Wilson and on your motor I think the Wilson part might be a waste. i've seen the Edelbrock TR work on some pretty high powered motors and some average ones.

BlueNun
06-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I agree with the Edelbrock. I saw alot of those at Chowchilla doing very well from River Racer to some really fast boats

VAMI
06-29-2007, 07:41 PM
you need alot more cubes and cam to make that work.invest that 1800$ in somthing else like heads? depending on what ones you have.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
hey James, I would run a bigger cam with high compression. I personally would run a 245 to 248 @ .050 with a 575-600 lift.Is your cam solid or hyd? The cam you have is a great cam for lower compression motor that doesnt spin rpm's. What kind of rpm's are you spinning? I agree with the others, you would be wasting $$ with a sheet metal t-ram. I just got a dart t-ram that has been ported and it is a killer t-ram. If I were you I would run dual carbs on that motor. A single carb t-ram is well known for leaning out the corners. Ask Jordy on here, He burned up a nice 468 running a single carb.
I ran a weiand t-ram with dual 750's and it pulled hard and was never lean. my motor was a 454(461) 12-1 comp,solid flat tappet 258@.050,.615 lift and a 108 lobe(no water). My kachina ran 85 with that setup and had a killer holeshot;)
I have my old t-ram for sale. It was polished,rec port, ceramic coated with a dooley scoop;) Its setup for dual carbs.let me know if your interested.

OverKill
06-29-2007, 10:18 PM
hey James, I would run a bigger cam with high compression. I personally would run a 245 to 248 @ .050 with a 575-600 lift.Is your cam solid or hyd? The cam you have is a great cam for lower compression motor that doesnt spin rpm's. What kind of rpm's are you spinning? I agree with the others, you would be wasting $$ with a sheet metal t-ram. I just got a dart t-ram that has been ported and it is a killer t-ram. If I were you I would run dual carbs on that motor. A single carb t-ram is well known for leaning out the corners. Ask Jordy on here, He burned up a nice 468 running a single carb.
I ran a weiand t-ram with dual 750's and it pulled hard and was never lean. my motor was a 454(461) 12-1 comp,solid flat tappet 258@.050,.615 lift and a 108 lobe(no water). My kachina ran 85 with that setup and had a killer holeshot;)
I have my old t-ram for sale. It was polished,rec port, ceramic coated with a dooley scoop;) Its setup for dual carbs.let me know if your interested.
WOW Mike thanks for the information. Let me ask you this, what tunnel ram do you have that you are selling? Reason I ask is my Weiand can be converted to a dual carb setup, you know the one that is petty much cut in the center. I have an 850cfm now so I wonder if I can get another 850cfm and convert it to a dual setup. Just so Im on the safe side of not burning up my motor.
I just don't understand one thing, why does Wilson Manfolds offer a single carb. setup. I assume the motor would run good and be safe if they offered it , don't you think.

Sleeper CP
06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Sometime back I ran my single carb T/R (TFS) against my single Hi-rise spider style intake on the dyno on my BBF. Overall the single Hi-rise out performed it. The T/R did post a slightly higher peak Trq. number, but because of fuel distribution problems the single hi-rise posted a better HP number and overall avg. At peak rpm's the hi-rise was much better. The single T/R just can't feed the outer cylinders.
For your application, I'd agree with the others stay away from the sheet metal you'll be waisting your hard earned $$.
Wilson sells the single top's because people will buy them. Some because they like they way the single T/R looks and other's because I think there are drag car classes that mandate single/cast intakes. The guys are looking for the largest possiable plenum area they can get under the carb. Then if they run Nos, either port injected or a spray bar through the plenum they'll be fine for a sub 10 sec. pass. If you choose to run one ;if you are running under 6250 for less than 15 seconds at a time you'll probably be ok as far as burn down is concerned. (IMO, Caution I make sudden stops and turns with out warning).
Good luck, but a Single Hi-rise is hard to beat and the T/R with dual fours is a better choice than the single. Just don't over Carb or over jet it.
Sleeper CP