PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy, Do people really pay the mark-up price?

Trailer Park Casanova
06-30-2007, 01:49 AM
In purchasing our Z06 'Vette, we got quotes from $10.000 over sticker to $3500 under MSRP.
Do people just walk in and quietly pay the mark-ups?
No haggle, no hassle, just write the check and drive off?
Our friends at the Corvette factory said most the 'Vettes coming off the line are for dealer stock as opposed to customer ordered cars rolling down the line, a sign sales are slow, prices are very negotiable we're told. Seems to be true.
I couldn't live with myself knowing I paid too much for my ride.
Chevy lowered the Corvette price a few years back and it murdered the resale value on the c5's.
Owners took an additional beating.
Do people just not bat an eye and pay the mark-up?

ratso
06-30-2007, 05:47 AM
When I was selling cars, I went for the jugular... always...:D

Xlration Marine
06-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Vettes are a dime a dozen. I never pay th sticker. Not even on a Bimmer. When the new M3 (e46) came out dealers were holding to the sticker and higher. Some peolpe were stupid enough to pay it. One lady went to Costco and boght heres for less than sticker. The funny thing with that is she didn't have to waite for the car like most had to do. I've seen vettes and cady's around here reduced 10k-20k. Heck they said the still ha 06 cady's. It might be a status thing to paay to much, or just plain stupidity. These scumbag sales man make it a game to see who makes the most off a deal and they get to keep that little tittle for the month. I was told by my brothers boy that a friend of his made $15,000.00 off one deal. And then he said I should go there to get a new truck:eek: :eek: . I don't think so. I myself hate the game thatthey play. If they piss me off in the first five minutes I walk, and then they call me back tp kiss my azz. Shop around buddy, shop around.

RiverToysJas
06-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Speaking of Corvettes.......Why do they build white corvettes? If you're looking for a white car, don't buy a corvette...it just tells everyone you're unclear about the concept of the Vette. ;)
....and there's no reason to pay a dealer markup on any car IMO.
RTJas :D

ratso
06-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Vettes are a dime a dozen. I never pay th sticker. Not even on a Bimmer. When the new M3 (e46) came out dealers were holding to the sticker and higher. Some peolpe were stupid enough to pay it. One lady went to Costco and boght heres for less than sticker. The funny thing with that is she didn't have to waite for the car like most had to do. I've seen vettes and cady's around here reduced 10k-20k. Heck they said the still ha 06 cady's. It might be a status thing to paay to much, or just plain stupidity. These scumbag sales man make it a game to see who makes the most off a deal and they get to keep that little tittle for the month. I was told by my brothers boy that a friend of his made $15,000.00 off one deal. And then he said I should go there to get a new truck:eek: :eek: . I don't think so. I myself hate the game thatthey play. If they piss me off in the first five minutes I walk, and then they call me back tp kiss my azz. Shop around buddy, shop around.
Oh I'm sure there is more to the story than that...;) What was it? What kind of demand was there for it? Look at the idiots and the I Phones in comparison...
I remember when the 4X4 Powerstroke 4 Doors hit the market... People were paying stupid money for them... Was that the salesman's fault? Don't think so... Anything in demand is gonna bring top dollar and then some. If the consumer is that stupid, may as well make some money off of them.;)

RiverToysJas
06-30-2007, 08:08 AM
If the consumer is that stupid, may as well make some money off of them.;)
So...... :idea: If it's OK to take money from stupid people, why not just scam retards all day? :)

Glamasu
06-30-2007, 08:20 AM
So...... :idea: If it's OK to take money from stupid people, why not just scam retards all day? :)
I think the goverment has that market locked up....:D :D :D

OCMerrill
06-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I think dealerships run of the premise that there is a sucker born every minute.
I do remember a friend of mine buying a Dodge Charger SRT8 when they first came out. He went to many dealers before he found one that would sell it for just sticker less that $5k markup on the windows of all the others he looked at.
Even the dealer he bought a Viper from a year earlier told him $5K over. There is no dealer loyalty. Only the rare case of a decent salesman. We have a few of those here.

77charger
06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
If people are feel they have to have that car right away before everyone else let them get suckered into paying more than sticker they might have the money to do so but stupid on the otherhand for paying more than msrp

77charger
06-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Speaking of Corvettes.......Why do they build white corvettes? If you're looking for a white car, don't buy a corvette...it just tells everyone you're unclear about the concept of the Vette. ;)
....and there's no reason to pay a dealer markup on any car IMO.
we all know if they made a rainbow one you would be first in line for it.:D

Xlration Marine
06-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh I'm sure there is more to the story than that...;) What was it? What kind of demand was there for it? Look at the idiots and the I Phones in comparison...
I remember when the 4X4 Powerstroke 4 Doors hit the market... People were paying stupid money for them... Was that the salesman's fault? Don't think so... Anything in demand is gonna bring top dollar and then some. If the consumer is that stupid, may as well make some money off of them.;)
Yes I know what your talking about. Just like the PT Cruiser, up to 8k mark up. And people were stupid enough to pay for it. Earnhardt Chrysler took money down on Pt's and then sold them to other people who were will to pay more for them. GM builds nothing that is in high demand. They thought that the GTO was going to be a big hit, as you can tell it was no big deal. The dealership in question is Chapman Cheverlet- Freeway Chevy. They also sell BMW and are dicks to deal with. They were holding the Z8 for the highest bidders as well. I had a salesman tell me that $800.00 was a good deal on a Toyota Tundra, do the math. $50,000.00 with my down payment, for a $28,000.00 truck, what a scum bag. Car sales man are the chit under the scum at the bottom of the barrel. Thats is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

RiverToysJas
06-30-2007, 02:27 PM
we all know if they made a rainbow one you would be first in line for it.:D
Says the guy the with pink boat. :rolleyes:

DaveA
07-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Nfw!

Havasu1986
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
He's probably still at the river. ;)

work2play
07-01-2007, 06:55 PM
You pay sticker price at the restaurant. You pay sticker price at the grocery store. You must be a sucker.

Ziggy
07-02-2007, 08:05 AM
In purchasing our Z06 'Vette, we got quotes from $10.000 over sticker to $3500 under MSRP.
Do people just walk in and quietly pay the mark-ups?
No haggle, no hassle, just write the check and drive off?
Our friends at the Corvette factory said most the 'Vettes coming off the line are for dealer stock as opposed to customer ordered cars rolling down the line, a sign sales are slow, prices are very negotiable we're told. Seems to be true.
I couldn't live with myself knowing I paid too much for my ride.
Chevy lowered the Corvette price a few years back and it murdered the resale value on the c5's.
Owners took an additional beating.
Do people just not bat an eye and pay the mark-up?
Some people will, and they usually can afford it when they do. I've never charged over MSRP at my dealerships because I think Karma is a strong thing.
Generally its a hot model car that is brand new or very limited... I remember well when the BMW Z8 came out it had a $132K sticker, there were people paying $200k, even heard of a few $300k+ deals......crazy in my eyes but for most of these people it was expendable dough.

Ziggy
07-02-2007, 08:09 AM
You think Zig's gonna show up on this thread?
Nfw! Was in the ER with my father Friday:( , he's ok now.:)
He's probably still at the river.;)
ARG!!!!!! I haven't been to the river since the poker run:( :( :( :(

Baja Big Dog
07-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Some people will, and they usually can afford it when they do. I've never charged over MSRP at my dealerships because I think Karma is a strong thing.
Generally its a hot model car that is brand new or very limited... I remember well when the BMW Z8 came out it had a $132K sticker, there were people paying $200k, even heard of a few $300k+ deals......crazy in my eyes but for most of these people it was expendable dough.
Youve NEVER charged more than sticker? If you had one of those "IN DEMAND" items like the Z8 you spoke of, you wouldnt charge more than sticker!!!
Believe me If Im ever in the market for a BMW (not likley), but I were your the man!:D