PDA

View Full Version : Loader Grates?

Wet Dream
02-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Someone talk to me here. Where is a great place to find them? And more importantly, how hard are they to change out from the stock grate, and what tricks should I be learning along the way? This is going on a 76 Hallett, heavy ass lake boat, Berkeley JC, A impeller. I guess I should add that its not overly heavy, but its not a lightweight either.

IMPATIENT 1
02-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Someone talk to me here. Where is a great place to find them? And more importantly, how hard are they to change out from the stock grate, and what tricks should I be learning along the way? This is going on a 76 Hallett, heavy ass lake boat, Berkeley JC, A impeller.
ITS EASY WET DREAM.TAKES @ AN HR. TO DO. I BOUGHT MINE FROM CP PERFOMANCE. I WAS VERY HAPPY AFTER INSTALL. I ALSO RUN A HEAVY LAKE BOAT AND IT LIKES THE MID LEVEL OPEN LOADER. I THINK MINES A SS LOADER. CURED A CAVITATION PROB. I HAD AT 70MPH TOO!

BLOWN JOB
02-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Tom Papp Has Them Too.

HammerDown
02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Tom Papp Has Them Too.
Thats where I purchased mine. He has a design that works well on 21' Daytonas.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Bought mine from DuaneHTP, $180 Pro-Loader. My "F" Berk has not been very finicky, but I was down arround 60 in her. It would only get tempermental without it as speed climbed. Took me an hour maybe to change, and that was flat on my back. If they aren't already, increase the size of the 1/4" screws that thread to the backing plate to 5/16, rethread the plate, and back-nut them. This is how DuaneHTP sells them and what he advises.
http://hi-techperformance.com/

hack job
02-16-2006, 03:50 PM
i got mine from mpd they custom make them anbd they work very well :cool:

fakethis
02-16-2006, 06:11 PM
I have a few loaders you can try before you buy one.

inwo
02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a few loaders you can try before you buy one.
Pictures?
How much $?

1968Droptop
02-16-2006, 08:16 PM
ITS EASY WET DREAM.TAKES @ AN HR. TO DO. I BOUGHT MINE FROM CP PERFOMANCE. I WAS VERY HAPPY AFTER INSTALL.
I'm about to do the same thing, add a loader. What changes can/should I expect ? I'm also going to add a longer ride plate, got a little dinky stock one now. I'm told it'll make quite a difference, but wanted to hear from some others that have done this. Thanks.

IMPATIENT 1
02-17-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm about to do the same thing, add a loader. What changes can/should I expect ? I'm also going to add a longer ride plate, got a little dinky stock one now. I'm told it'll make quite a difference, but wanted to hear from some others that have done this. Thanks.
i gain @4-5 mph with a 12je.like i said i was havin a real hard time loading up the little intake that a 12je has.once i put the loader on and was finally able to maintain some intake pressure, the 4-5mph came.
after the loader, i installed a hi-tech shoe and ride plate kit that really made the hull get dry! this kit came with a longer ride plate for the boat to rocker back on but i think the longer plate wouldn't have been so effective without the shoe.check into it for your pump. at 75mph i was cavitating and porpusing.put the kit on a it: rode on clouds,gave me at least 7mph,and launches real hard and level. another thing i noticed was no matter how big the wakes were i crossed the boat just bounced alittle,hardly notice it.now my heavy 18ft. v-hull is runnin in the 80's and it fells like 90 might be possible with alittle more dough into the pump,we'll see this summer!
this is my experience with the loader and shoe/ride plate kit.worth every penny and four letter word!hope this helps yo decision.

1978 Rogers
02-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Pull your boat down to Skagen. Tell them what you want to do to the engine, etc. They'll set you up right.

1968Droptop
02-17-2006, 01:37 PM
at 75mph i was cavitating and porpusing.put the kit on a it: rode on clouds and four letter word!hope this helps yo decision.
That's what mine does at 60 (ish), up n down up n down. I've been told my riade plate is WAAAYYY to short by a local boat shop (Skagens), and by others. I'm definately going to do this upgrade. I just wanted to hear another person or two's experience's. Thanks.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-18-2006, 05:53 AM
That's what mine does at 60 (ish), up n down up n down. I've been told my riade plate is WAAAYYY to short by a local boat shop (Skagens), and by others. I'm definately going to do this upgrade. I just wanted to hear another person or two's experience's. Thanks.
My berk "F" has a very short rideplate stock, and I only get porposing running full up on the diverter at part throttle, or if I adjust the plate too high in the back. Could be your adjustment here.

IMPATIENT 1
02-18-2006, 06:50 AM
DROPTOP,TRY A SHOE AND RIDE PLATE KIT.DON'T JUST PUT A LONGER PLATE ON IT.LONGER PLATE WILL MAKE IT PLANE FASTER AND RIDE BETTER BUT WON'T GIVE NEAR THE AMOUNT OF LIFT AND SHOE/RIDE PLATE KIT WILL,AND SPEED!

1968Droptop
02-18-2006, 08:35 AM
DROPTOP,TRY A SHOE AND RIDE PLATE KIT.DON'T JUST PUT A LONGER PLATE ON IT.LONGER PLATE WILL MAKE IT PLANE FASTER AND RIDE BETTER BUT WON'T GIVE NEAR THE AMOUNT OF LIFT AND SHOE/RIDE PLATE KIT WILL,AND SPEED!
I was told by the Skagin's it had a shoe on it. But I'm not yet familier with what a 'shoe' looks like. Or if there is good and bad ones ?

IMPATIENT 1
02-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I was told by the Skagin's it had a shoe on it. But I'm not yet familier with what a 'shoe' looks like. Or if there is good and bad ones ?
what pump do you have? got any pump intake pics?

1978 Rogers
02-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Here are pics of Mile2885's (forgive me if I have the name wrong) kit he bought from Skagen4. The shoe is the curved wedge piece the the ride plate attaches to.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160shoe.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160ride2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160ride_plate_1.jpg

Wet Dream
02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
See there...you learn something new everyday. I thought with a shoe and rideplate, you had to cut into the hull and make it a smooth transition. I didn't know it could be stepped down like that. Did you notice any increased drag?

IMPATIENT 1
02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
See there...you learn something new everyday. I thought with a shoe and rideplate, you had to cut into the hull and make it a smooth transition. I didn't know it could be stepped down like that. Did you notice any increased drag?
ONCE YOU GET A DECENT RIDE PLATE ANGLE WITH A SHOE/RIDE PLATE KIT, THE BOAT WILL BE ROCKERING ON THE RIDE PLATE WITH HARDLY ANY DRAG.THAT'S HOW IT GIVES SO MORE SPEED(LESS HULL IN THE WATER).PLUS THE SHOE KEEPS THE PUMP FED WHILE THE BOATS UP ON THE PLATE.

Rondane
02-20-2006, 08:28 PM
ONCE YOU GET A DECENT RIDE PLATE ANGLE WITH A SHOE/RIDE PLATE KIT, THE BOAT WILL BE ROCKERING ON THE RIDE PLATE WITH HARDLY ANY DRAG.THAT'S HOW IT GIVES SO MORE SPEED(LESS HULL IN THE WATER).PLUS THE SHOE KEEPS THE PUMP FED WHILE THE BOATS UP ON THE PLATE.
Make sure you clarify you have a JE pump as those shoe/rideplate kits appear to work better than the JC stye which is in the picture. The JE suction depending on how it is placed in the boat is most of the time above keel. There is room for improvement. It can however slow the boat down as it loads the pump better. The JC style is usually placed on the intake that is already level with keel. It will drop it below keel. Never heard any info on how well these work. I would think it would also slow the boat down being it drops it so much creating drag.
rondane

Wet Dream
02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I have the JC, and was thinking that rather than cut along the keel line, just run a plate from the back of the transom even with the keel, through the pump. I'm pretty sure I've seen one like this, and probably doesn't give the greatest results, but is probably better than not having a ride plate.

IMPATIENT 1
02-22-2006, 06:16 AM
I have the JC, and was thinking that rather than cut along the keel line, just run a plate from the back of the transom even with the keel, through the pump. I'm pretty sure I've seen one like this, and probably doesn't give the greatest results, but is probably better than not having a ride plate.
your rite on, should give a nice ride and take wakes better at least.

Blown Away
03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Chris I never said you had a shoe, I said you need a shoe!!!! Remember the the shoes I showed you,I told you most intakes need to be machined to accept a shoe but I also have a shoe and ride plate kits made by Hi tech that bolt on.

1978 Rogers
03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Chris I never said you had a shoe, I said you need a shoe!!!! Remember the the shoes I showed you,I told you most intakes need to be machined to accept a shoe but I also have a shoe and ride plate kits made by Hi tech that bolt on.
I want to put one on my boat. We need a "How To" demonstration down at the shop. We'll stand around drinking beer while you show us what to do and what our boats need. :D

Blown Away
03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
I want to put one on my boat. We need a "How To" demonstration down at the shop. We'll stand around drinking beer while you show us what to do and what our boats need. :D
Sounds like a plan. I am ready to go work on my boat right now but I just had knee surgery yesterday and the woman won't let go to work :cry: Might be better that way anyways, the way I feel I might do more harm than good :rollside:

1968Droptop
03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
This was an older post Tony. I though you said I had a shoe on it when you first looked at the boat last year. Not after the other weekend.
Knee surgery ??? OUCH, hopefully the doc hooked you up with some good pain killers :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: <<<maybe the skull n cross bones aren't the best sign to use ;-). At any rate hope your recovery is speedy, and I like the idea of a how to session, that'd be fun.

1978 Rogers
03-24-2006, 01:21 PM
This was an older post Tony. I though you said I had a shoe on it when you first looked at the boat last year. Not after the other weekend.
Yeah sure. You just think your boat is Bad Ass. I remember what I was like when I got mine. I heard what I wanted too. :D
Knee surgery ??? OUCH, hopefully the doc hooked you up with some good pain killers :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: <<<maybe the skull n cross bones aren't the best sign to use ;-). At any rate hope your recovery is speedy, and I like the idea of a how to session, that'd be fun.
So its settled, next saturday is the How To session. Right Chris? What time? :D

1968Droptop
03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah sure. You just think your boat is Bad Ass. I remember what I was like when I got mine. I heard what I wanted too. :D
HELL yeah !! The baddest thing on the lake....when I'm the only one on the water :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
So its settled, next saturday is the How To session. Right Chris? What time? :D
Next Sat at Tony's shop ? Skagen Tony right ? There are WAY too many Tony's...LOL !!!
P.S. Trying to figure out my Yahoo Messenger. I can't seem to send you a message ? I'm signed in, and added your Yahoo ID, but it won't show up on my list. I try to PM you and it tells me to no user selected...yet I DID, but I can't seem to find out where on the freakin screen !!! Damn computers....LOL. I'll try in a bit and see if it changes.

Squirtin Thunder
03-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Chris answer your phone !!!

SmokinLowriderSS
03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Chris answer your phone !!!
Phone, whats a phone? Oh wait a minuite, you mean that thing hooked up to VOIP? :D :D