PDA

View Full Version : Replace boat trailer tires every 3 years ?

Sleeper CP
06-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I have'nt been to the river for 4 years, getting the boat back together and decided to replace one of the trailer tires because of a bad wear pattern. The guy at the tire store tells me some b.s. about replacing the trailer tires every three years because the compounds that are used in trailer tires dry out faster than auto tires. And that all of the manufactures recommend that you replace their tires every 3 years reguardless of how many miles you put on them.
I told him " I call dog sh*t on that. Yeah if I sold motor oil I would recommend that you replace it every 3,000 miles too, sound familiar?"
I think the tire store just doesn't want to have to honor their road hazard warranty at 5 or 6 years. What do you think?
Sleeper CP

burtandnancy2
06-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Well, most trailer tires fail (rot) long before they wear out. Your tire dealer is not far off base. Besides, its cheaper in the long run to not have a failure on the road. Also, if your boat hasn't run in quite a while, I'd replace the battery as well...

Xlration Marine
06-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Gosh, I guess I'm 11 years over due. And a friend of mine just replaced his, and he was 10 years over due. Carry a spare and fix it when it breaks.

MBlaster
06-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I consider it cheap insurance. Boat trailer tires aren't expensive compared to performance car tires.
Would you rather have a flat in the desert when its 110 degrees?
If you think your tires are the slightest bit sketchy I'd replace em.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I change em when the sidewalls start to crack. They last longer in the garage as opposed to the side of the house but 3 years is bs...

LUVNLIFE
06-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Think of it this way. When one of those tires blowout, tread comes around to rip the fender off, which then scrapes the side of the boat causing major damage, and just for good measure the tread went through a car window:eek: :idea: Possibly wouldn't happen but any part of that scenario could. At the begining of this year I had a tire go bad. They were the original ones from '04. I went ahead and had them all replaced for $400 with some Mile Markers. Def gives me piece of mind when towing at 1:00 am in the middle of the desert. Also I believe it is true that the rubber compound gives out before the tread is gone on vehicles like trailers and motorhomes. I've getting alot of lessons in blown tires lately:D

SmokinLowriderSS
06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
I change em when the sidewalls start to crack. They last longer in the garage as opposed to the side of the house but 3 years is bs...
This is what I do.

3 daytona`s
06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Gosh, I guess I'm 11 years over due. And a friend of mine just replaced his, and he was 10 years over due. Carry a spare and fix it when it breaks.
There is nothing more enjoyable than sitting on the side of the road in 100 plus heat with a flat. :rolleyes:

burtandnancy2
06-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Xlaration, I don't know anyone who keeps a BOAT that long...

GunninGopher
06-30-2007, 07:07 PM
That's what I've always done. Take it from a guy that has had his share of trailer flats over the years. $200 or so every 3-5 years is no sweat. Having to change a flat is a lot of sweat. If any damage to the trailer or boat is prevented, then it is worth it. I've had 3 flats and 1 delamination before I finally figured it out. Keep the tires fresh and carry a spare.

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
A set of tires every few years is cheap insurance to me- I hate being on the side of the road on vacation.
Having said that, they'll last longer if you keep the UV rays off them and take the weight off them when stored for extended periods.

Moneypitt
06-30-2007, 07:24 PM
OK, who else runs car tires on their trailer? I have always just bought the right size tires and hit the road. Now I hear the car tires won't work on a trailer??. Walmart won't even sell you car tires for a boat trailer.....What is the straight poop about this car/trailer tire debate???..........MP

RitcheyRch
06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
My tire guys always told me that the tires will go bad from rot before miles. He told me every 3-4 years as well but also said depends if trailer stored in or outdoors.

OverKill
06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
OK, who else runs car tires on their trailer? I have always just bought the right size tires and hit the road. Now I hear the car tires won't work on a trailer??. Walmart won't even sell you car tires for a boat trailer.....What is the straight poop about this car/trailer tire debate???..........MP
I just had car tires put on my single axle trailer last winter at Discount Tires. I was even told they were passenger tires. I also will jack up the trailer and put it on jack stands every time I put her away in the garage. I don't know what's up Wal Marts ass, I bought some tires from my van years ago and they just couldn't get the balancing right. Every time I went over 65mph the whole front end would shake like an 8.0 earthquake. Go to Discount Tire and you won't have a problem.

charlyox
06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Change um.

Sleeper CP
06-30-2007, 08:35 PM
I've always looked at the side walls too. If they look bad I'll get a new tire. And I have had my share of blow outs 4 or 5 over the years caused by excess speed or under inflation. Do you know trailer tires should have 50 psi in them?
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I've always looked at the side walls too. If they look bad I'll get a new tire. And I have had my share of blow outs 4 or 5 over the years caused by excess speed or under inflation. Do you know trailer tires should have 50 psi in them?
Sleeper CP
What do you have to race people in your station wagon that's towing your boat too?:D

Sleeper CP
06-30-2007, 09:00 PM
What do you have to race people in your station wagon that's towing your boat too?:D
Just racing the clock. I hate 4 hour trips to the river. I do have to say that the blow outs all happened at or above 75 though.:jawdrop: :eek:
Sleeper CP

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Do you know trailer tires should have 50 psi in them?
Mine need 80 PSI in them. Heat kills tires- underinflation will make them run hotter.

Riomouse911
06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
I used to subscribe to the "Change them often? You're full of crap!" theory myself. I have 4 years on my tires, check them visually and air them up every time I run to the river. Well lo and behold I was changing one on my trip last weekend at 11 PM on the side of I 40 near Water Road, with the wife, toddler and teenager standing as far back as I could get them to be away from traffic. It thrashed the rear of the right side trailer fender, the rear running lamp was knocked to pieces and I ruined the rim. I learned my lesson...the next am I was in Needles, and the guys at Big-O were like a NASCAR pit crew...I was on the way with 4 new tires and the best old one as a spare (on a new rim) in under 40 minutes.
I'll admit I was penny wise, pound foolish... 3 years for me from now on.

havasurat27
06-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Mine rot off before they wear out!

C-2
07-01-2007, 12:18 AM
My neighbor just rolled up with 4 new Greenball Trailmaster's - I have NEVER seen nicer trailer tires. They're not all ballooned out from the get go - they have a flat, car tire looking tread pattern, appear to be nice tires. I've read good things about them.
I'm picking up 4 next week, you have to order them first, not a regular stock item, 2-3 days. $340 out the door, balanced from Discount Tires ($300 not blanced)

boats&bars
07-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Mine rot off before they wear out!
som;) e of us arent lucky bastards like you and have to tow across the desert

Trailer Park Casanova
07-01-2007, 05:35 AM
That's what I've always done. Take it from a guy that has had his share of trailer flats over the years. $200 or so every 3-5 years is no sweat. Having to change a flat is a lot of sweat. If any damage to the trailer or boat is prevented, then it is worth it. I've had 3 flats and 1 delamination before I finally figured it out. Keep the tires fresh and carry a spare.
There it is.
The Extreme trailer owners manual says replace every after two years running.
Our experiences say that's correct.
The newer "e" load rated tires seem to hold up better, but after two they'll be gone.
Found out the hard way with the "c" and "d" rated tires.
We carry two spares. Our new Extreme trailer on order will have 2 spares as well.
It sux, I know, but like I said, I found out the hard way.

Sleeper CP
07-01-2007, 08:18 AM
I thought this would be an interesting post. I hope some learned something from it. Now that I'll be towing with my kids 1/2 the time I'll at least slow down when they are with me. I always carry a spare and I have one of those mini floor jacks:D and a big star wrench. The mini floor jack makes it so much easier to get going again. Thanks for all of the input. I think I'll stick with the cracked side wall rule. You wouldn't believe how some of the spare tires have looked over the years that got me back on the road.
Thanks again for the input.
Sleeper CP

Classic Daycruiser
07-01-2007, 08:26 AM
It all depends on the mission.
If your local all the time, and you do not drive over 35-45mph, then wait for them to go flat.
If you travel 500 mile a weekend to get to and from the river, carry a good spare and replace them every 4-5 years.
If your using passenger tires, replace them every 3 years.

Sleeper CP
07-01-2007, 08:35 AM
It all depends on the mission.
If you travel 500 mile a weekend to get to and from the river, carry a good spare and replace them every 4-5 years.
Kind of what I'm thinking.
Sleeper CP

Baja Big Dog
07-01-2007, 08:45 AM
3 years:confused: ...how do you come up with that number? Oh yea, he sells tires!!:mad: What a bunch of bull shit, another way to separate you from your money.
Replace them when there bad. period, like said before, no one here will EVER wear out a boat trailer tire, they will rot first, but if taken care of they will last a lot longer than three years.......:mad:
Most blow outs you see on the side of the road that tear up fenders, and damage boats are caused by heat, which is caused by low pressures, check the pressures....
Helped a guy at Pilot last year tie up an axle because he had two blow outs, and just wanted to get to Havi for repairs, we tied up the axle, and Bozo and his cast of idiots on the way to a sausage fest were ready to pull out, I asked on of the brain surgeons with him if they checked the pressure in the remaining tires, with a donut look on his face he said ..NO, didnt even have a gauge, I tossed him mine and told him to check the other tires, he said they were only going to Havi, told him to check the fricken pressures, since a lot of families were gonna be on the road and although the world would more than likely not be much worse off if these idiots were not around, the others deserved a chance.
Yep, he checked them, the best one was 22 psi, the worst (and more than likely the next one to blow) was 14 psi! Next comment..."They didnt that low!"
This is another reason they should require an I.Q. test before they sell you a $150,000 boat!!

3 daytona`s
07-01-2007, 09:23 AM
3 years:confused: ...how do you come up with that number? Oh yea, he sells tires!!:mad: What a bunch of bull shit, another way to separate you from your money.
Replace them when there bad. period, like said before, no one here will EVER wear out a boat trailer tire, they will rot first, but if taken care of they will last a lot longer than three years.......:mad:
Most blow outs you see on the side of the road that tear up fenders, and damage boats are caused by heat, which is caused by low pressures, check the pressures....
Helped a guy at Pilot last year tie up an axle because he had two blow outs, and just wanted to get to Havi for repairs, we tied up the axle, and Bozo and his cast of idiots on the way to a sausage fest were ready to pull out, I asked on of the brain surgeons with him if they checked the pressure in the remaining tires, with a donut look on his face he said ..NO, didnt even have a gauge, I tossed him mine and told him to check the other tires, he said they were only going to Havi, told him to check the fricken pressures, since a lot of families were gonna be on the road and although the world would more than likely not be much worse off if these idiots were not around, the others deserved a chance.
Yep, he checked them, the best one was 22 psi, the worst (and more than likely the next one to blow) was 14 psi! Next comment..."They didnt that low!"
This is another reason they should require an I.Q. test before they sell you a $150,000 boat!!
Take a "DEEP" breath, step back and use Spell Check:idea:

Baja Big Dog
07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Take a "DEEP" breath, step back and use Spell Check:idea:
Sorry 3's, I will trie to no let that happin again.....

3 daytona`s
07-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Sorry 3's, I will trie to no let that happin again.....
That was good :)

Sleeper CP
07-02-2007, 06:40 AM
!!
Ditto, I think the cracked side walls will occur sometime after 5 years .
Sleeper CP

gramps
07-02-2007, 07:17 AM
I have had the original Goodyear Marathons on my trailer since it was new in 1994................it's nice when you live within 40 minutes of the three lakes that I mostly go to. My tires look damm good but after 13 years but I think it's time for new ones, they arn't showing any cracking yet but I don't want to do the tire change thing anywhere else except at the tire dealer or in front of my garage.

dirty old man
07-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Gramps, if you'er 40 minutes from 3 lakes, you aren't in the HEAT of our western desert. Our tires are parked in excess of 100 and see 140 or better on the road. You're not just lucky but live in an environment without excessive heat, smog, and maybe high speeds. As for the rest of you, there are so many variables; tire brand, quality, speed while towing (a few of you have been know to exceed the legal 55 mph in CA) and in AZ & NV you may even exceed 75. Tire pressures are one of the most important aspects (oops, thats for radials). Buying the cheapest tire is not always the best way to go when you've got a valuable asset sitting on top them

gramps
07-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Gramps, if you'er 40 minutes from 3 lakes, you aren't in the HEAT of our western desert. Our tires are parked in excess of 100 and see 140 or better on the road. You're not just lucky but live in an environment without excessive heat, smog, and maybe high speeds. As for the rest of you, there are so many variables; tire brand, quality, speed while towing (a few of you have been know to exceed the legal 55 mph in CA) and in AZ & NV you may even exceed 75. Tire pressures are one of the most important aspects (oops, thats for radials). Buying the cheapest tire is not always the best way to go when you've got a valuable asset sitting on top them
I have the heat in the summer ~100+ and cold in the winter ~20.........and also freeway speeds although not very may miles. I think the big thing I have with the tires is a BUNCH OF LUCK I'm gonna change 'em out this week. Besides the three local lakes I have Powell about 2 1/2 hours away and Mead is about the same distance. I don't want to have a flat on the road to Powell in between the middle of nowhere and hell.