PDA

View Full Version : 20 foot Hawaiian restoration on East Coast

SBC Jetboat
06-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Here is a 20 foot 1978 Hawaiian I am restoring in Delaware (actually Massey, MD very close to Delaware) Lot of work. Hoping to have it done in a few more weeks. All structural work was done with 1808 woven roving/mat and West System epoxy. Paint is Interlux Perfection sprayed over Interlux 404/414 epoxy primer. Stringers are double layered 1808/epoxy. The botch job on the dash wasnt my doing but it'll be covered up anyway. The wood I used for the floor/transom, bulkhead is 3/4 MDO (Medium Density Overlay), About the best you can buy for this type of work. I know some of you will bash me for the Small Block chevy thing, but its what I want. Im building a .030 over 350, forged crank, 6" h-beam rods with floating pins, Forged lightweight flattops, 10.5:1 compression, 2.02/1.6 aluminum heads, RPM Air Gap intake, Stainless steel roller rockers. Im starting out with 1.5s but will probably change to 1.6s later. 750 Holley, HEI billet distributor, Competition XM278 Marine grind cam. For now Im using aluminum logs for exhaust. Cant afford water cooled headers yet. Someday. I think it'll run good. Pump will be stock. Im going with an A impeller for now cause its what I have, plus I want a decent cruising RPM. May have to go to a B down the road though. We'll see. I especially like this boat because of the dash and wrap around windhield (which I dont have yet). What do you guys think??? Still gotta build the other gas tank (only have 1).

DelawareDave
07-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Lookin good. I have a B impeller you can try when you get it together to see what happens. Are you going to be able to find a windshield. Looks like you might be able to fab one from Lexan with a low profile, if you have to.

snake321
07-01-2007, 05:04 AM
It appears that you've learned alot since you built that picnic table....

DelawareDave
07-01-2007, 05:30 AM
It appears that you've learned alot since you built that picnic table....
Still the comedian! :eek: :eek:

minnesota_duane
07-01-2007, 07:02 AM
It's the same as mine, except for the funky dash. Are you sure on the year of yours? The reason I ask is Old Rigger told me that they built your style first then later changed it to mine. Mine is a '77. For your windshield go here.(http://finneys.com/marine.htm) I got some of the windshield hold down bolts from them a few weeks ago according to their web site they have paterns for the old windshields. I bet they are going to be real proud of them though.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10564MVC-002S.JPG

blown428fe
07-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Looking good, I like the red.

AZKC
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Interesting Hawaiian, do you know what the name of the hull is?
Nice Work:)

minnesota_duane
07-01-2007, 11:22 PM
It's a Polynesian

SBC Jetboat
07-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Thanks for all the input. Dave, Thanks for the offer. I'll probably want to try it out eventually. Right now I just wanna squirt water through the pump. I've still got your number. I was over Henrys house yesterday. What a great guy. I had a good time talking to him.
Anyway, Yes Im sure the boat is a 1978. The last two numbers in the Hull ID is the year. Maybe check yours and make sure it is a 77. I just went out and checked mine ( already did but wanted to double check).

SBC Jetboat
07-02-2007, 04:58 AM
I have no idea what the model is. If you say its a Polynesian then I'll have to take your word for it. I guess I have a 20' Hawaiian Polynesian. Wish it was something more like a Patriot or Rebel or something not foreign sounding. Oh well. I installed the intake and rebuilt the pump yesterday. Gonna bolt it in there today. Just waiting for a few more seals for the Diverter.

SBC Jetboat
07-02-2007, 05:01 AM
About the windshiellds, No I dont have any yet. I contacted Wayne Earl Mfg in California. I had to send them a pic because I had no idea what model the hull was. Same with them, they claim to have many OEM Paterns left from the old days. We'll see. Thanks for the link. Nice to know.

SBC Jetboat
07-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Snake321, thats funny!!! LOL That was a quickie and I cant help it if the darned wood warped.

SBC Jetboat
07-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks a lot for the advise on the windshields. I figured it wouldnt be too awful hard to make myself. But....... if you could buy them for really reasonable, why not. I have to find a sheet of BLACK polycarbonate which isnt the easiest thing to find around here. Its good actually hearing from someone who worked at Hawaiian Boats and knows something about them 'cause I know nothing. The heavy dash has taken its toll on the topside of the deck with cracking and the like since the bulkhead was all cracked too it wasnt supporting the bow. When I fabbed the new bulkhead I made it a tight fit top to bottom to make the top/bow rigod and strong. The dash is pretty cool on the Polynesian. I could have probably bought a boat cheaper than building this thing, but This is a rare style of boat. I have never seen another one. Its really, really hard to find another jet with a full dash and wrap around wind screen, much less a Polynesian.

SBC Jetboat
07-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Im following you, but..... The front deck was cracked along the sides a little because there was no support and when the boat was bouncing the deck bounced up and down cracking the edges. The dash and all had no support. In fact the old bulkhead had a trap door cut into it and over the door in both corners the bulkhead was cracked from the weight of the deck bouncing up and down. I felt the need to support the front deck with the bulkhead. Im not sure how that will crack the heck out of the hull. I dont claim any boat building experience at all until this one, but it seems some support was definately needed under there.

AZKC
07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Wayne Earl, Speciality, Finney and all the other plexi guys from back in the day didn't do the work on that old Polynesian (hey, at least that's a better name than the one we gave the 20 open bow...the Moonraker, lol ) as we did the plexi, for the most part, in house at Hawaiian. They may have patterns from doing replacement work though.
:eek: :eek:
:devil: :D
I think I have the only one left, I have yet to see another:)

Cheyenne372
07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Old Rigger:
You seem to know alot about the Hawaiians.
We have a 22' Hawaiian Day Cruiser, 1977 model that was Bright Yellow with wood-grain on the sides. Has a BBF with a Berkley pump on it. Swim platform on the back.
My dad bought it at the Dallas Boat Show after seeing it on display at the Austin Aqua Festival in 1976.
Do you remember anything about that model?

Cheyenne372
07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
That's pretty close. It has a double step bow deck.
I'll try to get a photo of it this weekend and see if I can post it.
Thanks.

SBC Jetboat
07-12-2007, 08:56 PM
how fast will this boat run when its done???

SBC Jetboat
08-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Here is a 20 foot 1978 Hawaiian I am restoring in Delaware (actually Massey, MD very close to Delaware) Lot of work. Hoping to have it done in a few more weeks. All structural work was done with 1808 woven roving/mat and West System epoxy. Paint is Interlux Perfection sprayed over Interlux 404/414 epoxy primer. Stringers are double layered 1808/epoxy. The botch job on the dash wasnt my doing but it'll be covered up anyway. The wood I used for the floor/transom, bulkhead is 3/4 MDO (Medium Density Overlay), About the best you can buy for this type of work. I know some of you will bash me for the Small Block chevy thing, but its what I want. Im building a .030 over 350, forged crank, 6" h-beam rods with floating pins, Forged lightweight flattops, 10.5:1 compression, 2.02/1.6 aluminum heads, RPM Air Gap intake, Stainless steel roller rockers. Im starting out with 1.5s but will probably change to 1.6s later. 750 Holley, HEI billet distributor, Competition XM278 Marine grind cam. For now Im using aluminum logs for exhaust. Cant afford water cooled headers yet. Someday. I think it'll run good. Pump will be stock. Im going with an A impeller for now cause its what I have, plus I want a decent cruising RPM. May have to go to a B down the road though. We'll see. I especially like this boat because of the dash and wrap around windhield (which I dont have yet). What do you guys think???
Boat weighs in at 1700 lbs without interior. How fast will this thing run when its done??? Not looking for a race boat, more of a performance cruiser.

Hawaiian Style
08-08-2007, 08:22 PM
hey i have the same boat although it's a 79. i was begining to wonder what happened to the ones like what i have. i can't seem to find any info on them either. mine is also missing the windshield. also running a sbc 305 (hey it's what i had laying around) it goes pretty good just not fast enough w/ the A impellar.thanks to your post i now know what model it is. thank you, jason
happy boating :skull:

thehotrodguy
08-09-2007, 05:05 AM
:eek: :eek:
:devil: :D
I think I have the only one left, I have yet to see another:)
I have a 20' open bow - but not like any in those pics. Mine's a '79 - BBF that blew a head gasket, 460 is getting bored and stroked to 521. Hope to have motor on the dyno late next week. I know its a heavy boat, but I have high hopes to hit mid 60's. JC pump w/ split bowl, hyd place diverter. Thinking about adding a droop, but I want to see how it goes with the new motor. I'll post a few pics as soon as I get to my laptop.