PDA

View Full Version : San Diego to Catalina

Magic34
07-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Anyone ever made the trip? How was it? How long did it take? How much fuel did you use?
I am thinking of renting a house for the month of November on Coronado and bringing the boat. A friend of mine is renting a house in August and we are going to go and check it out 1 weekend. If we like it, then we will probably spent much of November over there.
How are the seas in November? I would be doing the trip in the boat below and the ocean freaks me the fock out if that info helps.

NashvilleBound
07-02-2007, 03:58 AM
A few years ago in my Ultra 247.... 3 footers out....doable, 2 hours. 25 gallons there. 5-6 footers back....(3 plus hours) FRICKEN SUCKED, but still had a great time. :D If one of the other boats didnt have a GPS I would still be out there running circles. Ran with some dolphins and a whale....it was very cool. 247 is a touch too small for the big pond. We litteraly disapeared into the swells coming back. VERY eary.... I would definitely take my Magic out...... your ride should be fun. I would estimate 60-70 gallons to be safe.

LakeRacer
07-02-2007, 04:58 AM
on the ocean. I've done it from San Diego to Catalina and back in the early part of the year around March or April. Going there sucked big time. I have a 34 Advantage Offshore and I disappeared in the swells going there. On the way back it was no problem. Seas were much calmer. You are going to be fighting the swells going there and following them coming back.
I believe that it is around 85 miles to Catalina from SD. Fill up in Catalina to be on the safe side.

INSman
07-02-2007, 06:43 AM
You are such a pu$$y a$$ crying little baby. I will go with you to hold you hand if I have to. Just remember to put the drain plugs back in and you will be fine. :D

Steamin' Rice
07-02-2007, 07:56 AM
I've never gone from San Diego to Catalina, but I know people who have done the trip - I think it's about 90 miles or so from San Diego to Avalon, so figure that it will take you about 2.5 hrs or so in your boat. I would leave for the island early in the morning and plan to stay overnight. you could probably do it in a day trip, but you don't know what the water will be like in the afternoons, and even if it is smooth water that's a lot of time in the boat for one day.
You could also look into crusing up the coast - That would let you stop in Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport, or Long Beach depending on how far you want to go. When you are leaving San Diego Bay, be sure to go offshore far enough to avoid the kelp beds - I think you need to be about 3 miles or so from the coast.

cdog
07-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I've never gone from San Diego to Catalina, but I know people who have done the trip - I think it's about 90 miles or so from San Diego to Avalon, so figure that it will take you about 2.5 hrs or so in your boat. I would leave for the island early in the morning and plan to stay overnight. you could probably do it in a day trip, but you don't know what the water will be like in the afternoons, and even if it is smooth water that's a lot of time in the boat for one day.
You could also look into crusing up the coast - That would let you stop in Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport, or Long Beach depending on how far you want to go. When you are leaving San Diego Bay, be sure to go offshore far enough to avoid the kelp beds - I think you need to be about 3 miles or so from the coast.
Greg knows his shit. He's my ocean limo driver.:D Hey Greg! You ready to dive around miss daisy this wed.?:D

Cigalert
07-02-2007, 08:01 AM
The swells in Nov are pretty decent when you're north of Clemete Island and south of Catalina. The swell is rollin from the NW so when you're east of both islands the swell isn't that bad. Like it's been stated GPS is a must. When you're about an hour out of SD watch out for mililtary boats. They run at various times. Those carriers are scary fast when they're under way. Also, heads up for the sword fish boats. Those guys are not friendly and if you run to close them they get pissed.
Here is a sword boat
http://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedImages/Operating_units/FRD/Fishery_Monitoring/harp_boat.jpg

Tremor Therapy
07-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Mike,
Greg speaks the truth. I had taken my old 25 Tremor out of Oceanside 1 time, and it was a damn long way to Catalina. Now from Dana Point on up, it is a nice 30 minute to 1 hour trip depending on swells and top speed of your boat. I think from San Diego you will use much more gas than you think, but an overnight stay in Catalina is nice. I have done that using the old Tremor to get accross.
Now as far as time, go early, early in the morning. I left from Dana Point in 6 inch to 1 foot seas, only to leave Catalina around 4 pm, and come home in 5-6 foot seas, and that 25 foot Tremor felt like a dingy! The boat made it back just fine, but it definately gets your attention! You will have a great time, and if you do head up from San Diego, you may want to throw out a trolling rod....the Albacore are a coming! :D

Magic34
07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
What are kelp beds?
I have Raymarine radar/gps.

mobldj
07-02-2007, 10:11 AM
where all the little fishys sleep,ohh and neptune to grab your ass under.

Steamin' Rice
07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
The kelp beds are thick sections of seaweed - If you end up in one, there a really good chance that you'll get it wrapped around your props and you will get stuck - There is a bunch of kelp right at the opening of SD Bay - just stay within the chanel markers before you start heading up the coast and you should be fine - It will seem like you are heading to TJ before you make the turn to head North

Steamin' Rice
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Greg knows his shit. He's my ocean limo driver.:D Hey Greg! You ready to dive around miss daisy this wed.?:D
Sure - We're heading out to SD early tomorrow AM..

Magic34
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
If I am freaked out, am I better off towing the boat up the coast and launching at Newport? Or driving the boat a few miles offshore north and just not over to Catalina until I get within 30 miles of it?

Cole Trickle
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Do you know what kind of creatures live in the ocean?:idea:
The freaking Kracken is gonna eat that puny boat like it's candy!!!!!:D:D
Oh yeah...better get invited on atleast one boating trip while your there or I can no longer be your friend and recommend Dri Wash;):D:devil:

LakeRacer
07-02-2007, 10:47 AM
If I am freaked out, am I better off towing the boat up the coast and launching at Newport? Or driving the boat a few miles offshore north and just not over to Catalina until I get within 30 miles of it?
Just concerned for your well being; but if you are truely freaked out maybe you should bring along someone to captain your boat who won't freak out. Making bad decisions on the ocean is a million times worse than the lake.
Do you have a marine radio and a hand held backup? I'm sure that cruiser of yours does but just asking. How about life vests? Are they in good working condition? Or maybe drysuits...the Pacific is a cold mother. Compass working ok? Do you have charts...you don't want to completely rely on GPS. Maybe you better bring a backup GPS too. Are you comfortable navigating with GPS and charts? Do you have visual distress signals that aren't out of date? And don't forget to file a float plan with someone who knows when and where you are going and what time you are supposed to be back.
Maybe you should consider going with another boat that is knowledgeable about the trip. Ask the S.C.O.P.E. guys...they might know someone. Or get on their forum at www.scopeinfo.com
You have plenty of time to prepare so that you shouldn't freak out.

Insurance God
07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I have only gone to Catalina from Long Beach or Huntington. Approx 1 hr (although, some boats can get there faster than the heli).
I met a guy there last week who sailed from San Diego. He said it took 13 hours (which he said was normal). Bring some sheets incase you break down. :D

Magic34
07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Just concerned for your well being; but if you are truely freaked out maybe you should bring along someone to captain your boat who won't freak out. Making bad decisions on the ocean is a million times worse than the lake.
Do you have a marine radio and a hand held backup? I'm sure that cruiser of yours does but just asking. How about life vests? Are they in good working condition? Or maybe drysuits...the Pacific is a cold mother. Compass working ok? Do you have charts...you don't want to completely rely on GPS. Maybe you better bring a backup GPS too. Are you comfortable navigating with GPS and charts? Do you have visual distress signals that aren't out of date? And don't forget to file a float plan with someone who knows when and where you are going and what time you are supposed to be back.
Maybe you should consider going with another boat that is knowledgeable about the trip. Ask the S.C.O.P.E. guys...they might know someone. Or get on their forum at www.scopeinfo.com
You have plenty of time to prepare so that you shouldn't freak out.
I wont do anything stupid. I'm the guy that will be 110% prepared and then get offshore 1 mile and turn around like a little baby. San Diego Bay has nice boating, right? :D

jdogginla
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Isn't your boat pictured below a formula 370ss?
If so you have more than enough boat to make the trip. A few simple suggestions to give you peace of mind....Make sure u have an account with vessel assist or sea tow. I believe it's sea tow (or both may do it) will log you out when you leave and you contact them when you arrive at your destination. They map out your travel and approximate time. They will make note if you do not arrive or do not report within a timely matter and take appropriate action. The other thing is the kelp beds as previously mentioned. Stay within the markers heading out of San Diego...the beds are thick off the point (point loma heading out of bay) and don't hug the coast line too much near oceanside. Kelp beds there are known to be a nightmare.
Otherwise......use your boat the way it was intended. :D

Magic34
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking Dana Point now and just getting a slip.
Anyone know what would be better for 1-2 weeks? Where should I go?

LakeRacer
07-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I wont do anything stupid. I'm the guy that will be 110% prepared and then get offshore 1 mile and turn around like a little baby. San Diego Bay has nice boating, right? :D
BTW, saw your boat at Extreme Marine. Very nice ride!

Froggystyle
07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Mike... don't be a pussy... :D
I have probably made the journey 25+ times in a 14' Zodiac in all manner of weather, swell conditions and sea temp. Doing it in nearly ANY boat is a cakewalk if you trust your navigation, boat safely and know how to quarter a sea properly.
If you are looking to do a day trip or two, I will ride out a couple miles with you and show you the deal dealing with the big blue. I will show you how to navigate using your re-section points while you can, nav with relative bearing for the middle part and then nav with dead reckoning near the end. I will assume you know how to use your GPS, so we will darken the screen for the ride with me and I will show you the basics of offset nav for currents, plotting a PBC board path etc...
If you are interested, I will send you a list of actual navigation tools you need to own and we can go out and practice inshore essentially...
Once you know where you are without the electronics, you won't have anywhere near the trepidation for going OTH.
Let me know... I would be happy to help. I am sure Audrey would love to hit Catalina on your yacht too... :D

Magic34
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
BTW, saw your boat at Extreme Marine. Very nice ride!
Thanks... It was still inside, right?:)

Magic34
07-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Mike... don't be a pussy... :D
I have probably made the journey 25+ times in a 14' Zodiac in all manner of weather, swell conditions and sea temp. Doing it in nearly ANY boat is a cakewalk if you trust your navigation, boat safely and know how to quarter a sea properly.
If you are looking to do a day trip or two, I will ride out a couple miles with you and show you the deal dealing with the big blue. I will show you how to navigate using your re-section points while you can, nav with relative bearing for the middle part and then nav with dead reckoning near the end. I will assume you know how to use your GPS, so we will darken the screen for the ride with me and I will show you the basics of offset nav for currents, plotting a PBC board path etc...
If you are interested, I will send you a list of actual navigation tools you need to own and we can go out and practice inshore essentially...
Once you know where you are without the electronics, you won't have anywhere near the trepidation for going OTH.
Let me know... I would be happy to help. I am sure Audrey would love to hit Catalina on your yacht too... :D
Sounds great with all the help, but I prefer tha last option for ease of vacation. You can teach me on the way over. We have what, 90 miles or so?:D

RiverDave
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll go with ya if your skeered Mike. :D In that big ass pig it shouldn't be an issue. ;) Just follow the coast line up until you see Catalina and then turn left. :)
RD

Froggystyle
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I promise you that it will be a TON more fun to go over the horizon for a little while and then see your point pop up for you right where it should be without any electronic aids...
Your boat will be the definition of "no drama" on that journey.
Let me know if you want to... I think it would be a great time. October is my favorite month for ocean cruising in San Diego...

Magic34
07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I'll go with ya if your skeered Mike. :D In that big ass pig it shouldn't be an issue. ;) Just follow the coast line up until you see Catalina and then turn left. :)
RD
Now, that is my style of navigation.

stoker22405
07-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Long Beach has the Catalina express boats that make the run from long Beach to Catalina several times a day....Call them find out the schedule and follow them out to catalina and back....For your first time I think thats the safest way...

Havasu1986
07-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I seen a 38' Donzi with a Team Turnkey sticker on it coming into the O.C. yesterday. I wonder who that was. :eek: I bet he knows the way. :D

duffster
07-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Mike,
Greg speaks the truth. I had taken my old 25 Tremor out of Oceanside 1 time, and it was a damn long way to Catalina. Now from Dana Point on up, it is a nice 30 minute to 1 hour trip depending on swells and top speed of your boat. I think from San Diego you will use much more gas than you think, but an overnight stay in Catalina is nice. I have done that using the old Tremor to get accross.
Now as far as time, go early, early in the morning. I left from Dana Point in 6 inch to 1 foot seas, only to leave Catalina around 4 pm, and come home in 5-6 foot seas, and that 25 foot Tremor felt like a dingy! The boat made it back just fine, but it definately gets your attention! You will have a great time, and if you do head up from San Diego, you may want to throw out a trolling rod....the Albacore are a coming! :D
Fish Killer........

RiverDave
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Now, that is my style of navigation.
I think you'll be fine in that monster.. If the ride gets a little rough use sippy cups for the beer. ;) :D
RD