PDA

View Full Version : Stereo System Issues

yzfrider
07-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Question for you guys,
I bought new Alpine amps "1000 watt 4 channel amp and 1000 watt mono" for the boat. The old ones started acting up. When I hooked up the 4 channel amp the audio from my 6X9's "also new" was very low, and distorted. You could not here vocals only instruments, and the sound was terrible. After checking wiring and speaker connections, amp settings I decided to plug in the mono amp for the sub. When I did this the speakers woke up they didnÂ’t sound that good but better you could now here vocals and some mid range. So I decided to turn the sub off from the head unitÂ’s crossover. When I did this the subs would not turn off. Any ideas as to what is going on?? I have made sure that the RCA's are correct. And everything is new but the head unit. I have a feeling it is the head unit, however not completely sure. Could this be a ground problem?? I have a 10 gauge ground wire going from the deck to the negative on the bat. And 8 gauge on the amps.

JENKDICK
07-02-2007, 07:56 AM
i believe you want to be running at least 4 guage power and ground. 1/0 is probably ideal for 2k watts.

rivercrazy
07-02-2007, 08:29 AM
If your RCA's are correct, sounds like the headunit to me.
The power cable gauge isn't the problem causing this. However, I'd upgrade to at least 2 guage but it depends on the length of run. 1/0 gauge would be most preferable.

riverbound
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I would once again check your RCAs....also make sure that any built in crossovers on the deck are off. The power cables you listed are just fine for the Alpine amps 1/0 is not a necesity.

yzfrider
07-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the help,
I spent about 4 hours yesterday checking wiring. Making sure I was not losing my mind. First thing I thought was RCAÂ’s; however I checked them about 100 times. I even tried them bridged. No difference in quality. The deck is a Pioneer, turned the HP crossover off and sub off and No difference. I guess I may go buy a new head unit and if works great if not take it back. If it does not work then I am completely lost. It would be hard to believe that a new amp would be bad.

riverbound
07-02-2007, 10:09 AM
So you did run a different set of RCAs from the head unit to the amp to make sure the RCAs were good?? ;)
Also did you make sure all the crossovers on your amps were right?

yzfrider
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
So you did run a different set of RCAs from the head unit to the amp to make sure the RCAs were good?? ;)
Also did you make sure all the crossovers on your amps were right?
Yes I tried about 3 different sets of RCA's. I set the amp flat across the board.
gain = flat or half way
Crossover = HP and Flat
Crossover level = 100 when I had the switch set to HP

riverbound
07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes I tried about 3 different sets of RCA's. I set the amp flat across the board.
gain = flat or half way
Crossover = HP and Flat
Crossover level = 100 when I had the switch set to HP
I would recommend taking it to a pro then. :idea:

yzfrider
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys,
Problems solved
It was the head unit. Went out and bought a new Alpine and it sounds perfect.