PDA

View Full Version : Oh no my gauges!

Big Inch
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Anyone have any tricks to save my gauges? Several of them were sprayed with cleaner a few years ago and the faces were not happy about it. It pretty much has eaten up the plexiglass face of them and they keep looking worse. Wondering if anyone has any tricks up their sleeves on how to possibly freshen them up or replace the face on them. I really don't want to replace them since they all match and I don't want to mess with the wiring since it is done so nicely. I can't exactly call up the boat manufacturer to see if they still have any direct replacements. Anyone have any Virage Performance Boat gauges laying around :idea:

RiverDave
07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try.. Go get some plastic polish (for headlights) down at Pepboys.. Mothers or other.. Try it with a rag first like the directions say.. If it doesn't work then get a dremel out and try it with a buffing wheel.
I'd bet it comes out ok.
RD

gramps
07-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I used Mothers Mag polish on my plastic gauge lenses a couple of weeks ago. They damm near look new again.

Big Inch
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Great so their is hope!

Jbb
07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
If the plastic polishes and cleaners fail....try micro mesh (https://www.micro-surface.com/default.cfm?page_id=200)

Baja Big Dog
07-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Meguiars plasic cleaner #10 followed by their plasic polish #17 It's good stuff, works good on cloudy headlights too. The military uses it on helicopter windsheilds :)
This works...soft buffing pad, dont run too fast. Keep pad wet, wipe with micro cloth....

Big Inch
07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Off to Pep Boys you guys are great.

OC28HEAT
07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Use Plexus. It is used to clean airplane windows and you have to get it from an airplane supply store. I had a friend that bought a used 911 conv and the rear window was shot. He had really expensive quotes to replace the window panel. I sprayed this on it and it was like new in minutes
Good luck

TahitiTiger
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Bilge has it right, I use the two step process on many items, old yellowed out Suzuki gauge cluster, to the faded headlights on my Z28 camaro.
As for Plexus great stuff for maintaing the luster, you can get it any motorcycle supply shop. Keeps the bugs off the windscreen, I used to use plexus on the windscreen of my old Glasspar. :D Again great stuff!

RitcheyRch
07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I've used PlastX and it worked fairly well on some yellowed plastic headlight lenses.

JET-O-VATOR
07-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Use Plexus. It is used to clean airplane windows and you have to get it from an airplane supply store. I had a friend that bought a used 911 conv and the rear window was shot. He had really expensive quotes to replace the window panel. I sprayed this on it and it was like new in minutes
Good luck
I can get you plexus all day long it is sold in almost all dirtbike shops

Big Inch
07-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I can get you plexus all day long it is sold in almost all dirtbike shops
Ha haven't heard about that product in many years. I actually know the person who developed Plexus. Last time I saw him was right before he released it. He also is the person who invented the Swatch Watch Guard and made a fortune off that product. Let's see who dates themselves by remembering that one.

Big Inch
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Thought I would post an update. I went to Napa and got the Meguiar's cleaner and polish. I tried it by hand first and it didn't seem to being doing much so switched to the dremel. Dremel is working better and definitely a huge improvement. You can still see some imperfections if you look closely but overall it's much better and I think will turn out really nice by the time I'm done. I'm still a little concerned as to whether or not they will start hazing again but I guess time will tell. Does anyone happen to know any info on who made gauges for Virage? I have a mix of Gaffrig and something else. I think I recall them being Livorsi but not 100% sure. The Gaffrig are all perfect but if I could come across some of the others for a good deal I would probly scoop them up. All the gauges say Virage with their logo so not sure if I could have them made. Maybe an old vendor that repoed their products after Virage went under still has them around? :confused:

RiverDave
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Turn out ok by the time you were done?
I think outfitting your whole dash with new guages wouldn't be as expensive as you think.
check out www.rexmar.com and goto guages.
RD

Big Inch
07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Turn out ok by the time you were done?
I think outfitting your whole dash with new guages wouldn't be as expensive as you think.
check out www.rexmar.com and goto guages.
RD
It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement. As far as the new gauges, the expense is not the biggest concern. I really like the look of the gauges and that they have the Virage logo on them. Biggest holdup though is the wiring. The rigging is beautiful and I can't fathom the thought of having to cut it all up and splice it. If I could find out exactly which gauge it is and get a direct replacement to avoid the alterations to the wiring that would be fantastic.

RiverDave
07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Even if you change brands of guages you shouldn't have to cut up and splice all over your wireloom? They should just be drop in replacements.
Post pictures of your guages, and I'll bet it's a brand still being made today.
RD

spectras only
07-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Your gauges might be VDO . I use Novus product for cleaning and polishing plastics . After all that's what stores who sell plastics and plexiglas carry ;) .
There are two bottles , one for removing scratches and the other for cleaning and polishing.

EXTRMBT
07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
try good old fashion white toothpaste (not Gel). it works really good as a polish on clear plastics. Works out minor scratches and such. Plus you should have it right in the drawer. just my .02

Big Inch
07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I'll take some pictures later today and post them. If I remember correctly they they are Livorsi. Speedo and depth gauge are Gaffrig and match but the others are a different manufacturer or at least appear to be.

Big Inch
07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8727/boat007ny0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8845/boat003ep4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Speedo is Gaffrig and in fine condition. Anyone able to identify the others?