PDA

View Full Version : I need help buying a bike for my wife....

rrrr
07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm buying my wife a new bike as a surprise gift. I'm leaning towards a Specialized Ruby Pro, looks like a really nice upgrade from her present bike.
Do any of the ladies out there that ride full carbon bikes have an alternate recommendation?

Chipster27
07-02-2007, 08:37 PM
What are you looking to spend? My wife had a Ti airborne then we bought her a Litespeed Bella. The Litespeed was a wsb and fit her much better, she loves that bike.
Why carbon? My wife started with an Al bike, then went to Ti, she has never ridden carbon. My 5900 SL is carbon and I've never ridden Ti.

Baja Big Dog
07-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Roadking......:D

rrrr
07-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I'll be lucky to get off for less than 25 hundy......carbon seems to have the best benefits for her riding style and the terrain/trails around here.

yopengo
07-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I have had them all. I gave up my full suspension carbon bike for a Ti Litespeed. Just make sure to get good components. Specialized makes a very nice bike. :D

SummerBreeze
07-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Roadking......:D
ROADKING

Tom Brown
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
My current bike is a Specialized and I like it real well.
The brand of my next bike will be whatever feels most comfortable at the time.
It's probably different for a fat ass like me at 210 lbs but I really don't think a pound or two is as important to performance as comfort. I've fussed with gears too and felt it made a difference at the time but in retrospect, I think any decent set of gears can perform very well. A person can probably perform great on anything, as long as they've trained on it and their body is used to it.
My best lap at my favorite circuit is in the 16m range. We've got a couple of guys in the club who seem to be able to crank out 14m laps all day long. Those jack holes can out climb me on every hill, even if I'm fresh and they're on their last lap of the day. They always offer positive words of encouragement as they pull past me. Nice guys like that really piss me off but the point is, their performance advantage over me has nothing to do with the fact that their bikes cost $2~5K more than mine.
The equipment fetish has little to do with performance, IMO. It's worth a lot to love your bike, though.

rrrr
07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Back from the bike shop.....got the Ruby Pro. Looks like an awesome bike. :)

superdave013
07-03-2007, 02:03 PM
It's probably different for a fat ass like me at 210 lbs but I really don't think a pound or two is as important to performance as comfort. I've fussed with gears too and felt it made a difference at the time but in retrospect, I think any decent set of gears can perform very well. A person can probably perform great on anything, as long as they've trained on it and their body is used to it.
My best lap at my favorite circuit is in the 16m range. We've got a couple of guys in the club who seem to be able to crank out 14m laps all day long. Those jack holes can out climb me on every hill, even if I'm fresh and they're on their last lap of the day. They always offer positive words of encouragement as they pull past me. Nice guys like that really piss me off but the point is, their performance advantage over me has nothing to do with the fact that their bikes cost $2~5K more than mine.
The equipment fetish has little to do with performance, IMO. It's worth a lot to love your bike, though.
And you know what? You could prolly put those guys on clunkers and still get dropped.

spectras only
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Those jack holes can out climb me on every hill, even if I'm fresh and they're on their last lap of the day.
Hey Tom , you could just put both of your feet down and outrun them , instead of trying to out pedal them :idea: :) :D

Rexone
07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
My current bike is a 1994 Proflex and I like it real well.
The brand of my next bike will probably be a 1994 Proflex because I keep shit forever.
Those guys in the fancy team gear drop me like a smelly turd out on the hills. But I still enjoy peddling my ass off just trying to keep the slowest one of them in sight occasionally. Usually that goal is fairly short in duration. I think those guys are partially bionic or something. :confused:

Tom Brown
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM
M think those guys are partially bionic or something. :confused:
What I find the most upsetting when I look at the lap times is not how much better their worst lap is than my best lap, but that they can keep turning out those crazy lap times for 150 minutes.
I've always rode alone. Until recently, I've never ridden with someone who can keep up to me. Now that I'm in a group, I find myself way back toward the back of the pack. My hat is off to the front runners. I know they are better athletes than I could ever be. Actually, I find the group quite inspirational. I intend to really push myself and see if I can get my fat ass into some kind of shape.
By the way superdave013, there's no question any of the lead pack guys could kick my ass even if they were riding a junior girls 3 speed cruiser. ... but there is no need to get all up in my grill about it. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
:D

spectras only
07-04-2007, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Brown; I find myself way back toward the back of the pack.
:D[/QUOTE]
Tom , it's pretty embarrassing when you can't pass the last guy ;)