PDA

View Full Version : Need HVAC help!

NeverStop
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I have been putting it off, but today I got the results of an isolation test. Condenser is bad :sqeyes: , our coil and furnace are good, but an expansion valve would need to be added to the existing unit as the unit is old. The company that completed the iso test quoted us $3300 to replace the condenser with a 13 seer 22 something condenser, but everyone else I have spoken to is suggesting we replace the whole unit with a 14 seer or higher 4 ton condenser and prices are five to eight grand. I have more companies coming out to provide proposals, but I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I have been putting it off, but today I got the results of an isolation test. Condenser is bad :sqeyes: , our coil and furnace are good, but an expansion valve would need to be added to the existing unit as the unit is old. The company that completed the iso test quoted us $3300 to replace the condenser with a 13 seer 22 something condenser, but everyone else I have spoken to is suggesting we replace the whole unit with a 14 seer or higher 4 ton condenser and prices are five to eight grand. I have more companies coming out to provide proposals, but I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks
keep shoping around... sadly this is the worst time of year to get a A/C unit replaceds. Prices are $$$$ right now and every one has thier phone ringing off the hook.

redneckcharlie
07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Replacing half your system is not a smart decision. Is your ac and heat a split system, or a combi unit? From the sounds of it, sounds like a split system. I can't help you with installation, but if you know someone that can, I can get you alot better price on equipment. Depending on the size of the heater, a complete split system, minus the line sets, in the four ton range, runs me about three grand. The heater would be in the 135-145000 btu range. I'm guessing shipping would run you three to four hundred dollars. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what the cost of equipment is in relation to the whole bid.:)

Just foreplay
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Replacing half your system is not a smart decision. Is your ac and heat a split system, or a combi unit? From the sounds of it, sounds like a split system. I can't help you with installation, but if you know someone that can, I can get you alot better price on equipment. Depending on the size of the heater, a complete split system, minus the line sets, in the four ton range, runs me about three grand. The heater would be in the 135-145000 btu range. I'm guessing shipping would run you three to four hundred dollars. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what the cost of equipment is in relation to the whole bid.:)
Good advice, replace the unit, you will be $$ ahead.
Opt for a little more tonnage than you have now, you won't regret it.
You will even save some $ on you electric bill.

Havasu1986
07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Just had a new 13 seer replaced at my house in Havasu for $5700. My neighbor here in Yorba Linda who ownes a HVAC company said it was a good price.

whiteworks
07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I am a big fan of Trane equipment. 14 seer is pretty good, but go higher if you can afford it. also test the duct work for leaks "very important". my systems are 15 seer variable speed. the more you spend on equipment now the lower your power bill will be. it is amazing how effeciant a system can be if you spend the money. I put some badass filters in as well, you can run the fan to filter the air in your house. find someone who takes the time to explain to you how high effeciany systems work. when you find the right guy you will know. it might not be the cheapest route but in the long run you will be much happier. I'm not sure if you will get the bang for your buck if you just replace the condenser.

River Lynchmob
07-03-2007, 08:24 AM
If you are going to install a 13 or 14 SEER system you should replace the whole thing. The system works as a whole and will not achieve a 13 or 14 SEER by just replacing one part of the system. You will see some savings by not nearly as much as if you replaced the whole system. A 4-ton 13 SEER system which is R-22 refrigerant would cost a little under 2 grand for the parts then you need to pay for the labor to install it. Residential guys tend to make up the equipment 50% and charge you in the neighborhood of $85 an hour while paying their guys maybe $20. If you are going to reuse you existing duct work a fair price installed is about $5,000. if you are replacing everything figure about $2,000 per ton.
One thing about 14 SEER is it uses R-410a refrigerant and you would need to replace you refrigerant lines unless they are hard drawn lines now...chances they are most likely soft copper and due to the higher operating pressures you need to use hard lines.

rrrr
07-03-2007, 08:33 AM
^^^^^^^^
Good advice.
I just installed a 13 SEER 5 ton system for a friend includig a furnace and coil, it cost $2K for everything including misc parts. It took about 30 man hours, so figure from there....

westair
07-03-2007, 08:49 AM
If you are going to install a 13 or 14 SEER system you should replace the whole thing. The system works as a whole and will not achieve a 13 or 14 SEER by just replacing one part of the system. You will see some savings by not nearly as much as if you replaced the whole system. A 4-ton 13 SEER system which is R-22 refrigerant would cost a little under 2 grand for the parts then you need to pay for the labor to install it. Residential guys tend to make up the equipment 50% and charge you in the neighborhood of $85 an hour while paying their guys maybe $20. If you are going to reuse you existing duct work a fair price installed is about $5,000. if you are replacing everything figure about $2,000 per ton.
One thing about 14 SEER is it uses R-410a refrigerant and you would need to replace you refrigerant lines unless they are hard drawn lines now...chances they are most likely soft copper and due to the higher operating pressures you need to use hard lines.
You can get 14 SEER equip in either R410A or R22.

riverroyal
07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
wow, a lot of experts out there ...... i'm in san clemente, give me a call or pm me ... i'll try and save you some money ... and "NO" the prices don't change cause it's hot and it's the summer :rolleyes: www.rohanandsonsinc.com keyes (d-no)
just replace it the entire thing.Those prices seem a bit high

al cole'holic
07-03-2007, 11:32 AM
..2 weeks ago my tennant in Palm Springs said their unit went out as well, he called a friend of his in the business and found a remanufactured unit with a 2 year warranty and installed it for a total of $1100. I was unsure of that deal but had my A/C buddy's here check the serial numbers and it was ligit and done deal. Bryant 3.5 ton 10 seer condenser...

78hallett-ss
07-03-2007, 01:19 PM
you can pm me if you want but everyone is right on about replacing the entire system. i am a Carrier mfg rep and if you want i am in city of industry and could refer you to a few guys in your area. make sure the sizing is done properly as oversizing a system is not always good. causes cycling of the compressor more times than necessary. sounds like a good idea but more than often its not, and then your ductwork may not handle the additional airflow required. definetly dont put in anything less than the minimum efficiency of 13 as you will just be paying for it come next month. and like keyes said... the prices dont go up in the summer but things arent given away like when its slow!

Mountainstone
07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Dunno your situation, but I swear I am putting in a geothermal system when we build our retirement home. Depending on the contractor you select and the area you reside, the sytems are between twice and four times the initial cost of traditional systems, but will pay for themselves in electricity/gas savings in 5-10 years (again, depending on your location/usage). The costs of everything will rise (electricity/natural gas/you-name-it); I like the idea of paying more up front and never having to worry about spikes in energy costs for the life of the home.

westair
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
you can pm me if you want but everyone is right on about replacing the entire system. i am a Carrier mfg rep and if you want i am in city of industry and could refer you to a few guys in your area. make sure the sizing is done properly as oversizing a system is not always good. causes cycling of the compressor more times than necessary. sounds like a good idea but more than often its not, and then your ductwork may not handle the additional airflow required. definetly dont put in anything less than the minimum efficiency of 13 as you will just be paying for it come next month. and like keyes said... the prices dont go up in the summer but things arent given away like when its slow!
Yes, what he said. Also, not only is oversizing the ac unit harmful to the
system but it is noisy and causes wide temperature swings. (Cannot keep
an even temp)

slowinhavasu
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Well said......;)

Dezertrider
07-04-2007, 02:11 AM
People for gods sake get your AC looked at before summer and if you know it has a problem now get it fixed before next summer!!!!!!!! I was supposed to be at the river 4 day ago but NOOOOOOOOOO. Every one needs there AC looked at now because they have put it off all winter:) :) :) :)
Picking up 1500 new accounts from now to October so if your looking for a job Please PM me.

Dezertrider
07-04-2007, 02:16 AM
I assume you work for US Air so tell the truth. Isnt there a fire sale on Carrier to make room for your new York Line???
Good Luck on the Change

LLGirl
07-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Holy crap, there are a lot of experts on here.:D Some good info, some not so good. Some of this info is the reason we are so busy every summer. Just throw this equipment at it, bigger is better, etc. That's why my phone keeps ringing. Thank god for the 'professional' homeowners.
Dezertrider, that's funny. USACD in anaheim is right next door to Ferguson. Can't wait to see if prices dump, since they both sell York.
mrll

sleekcraft80
07-04-2007, 06:19 AM
I wish I had a HVAC system. I have the pioneer type. Window ACs and a wood burning stove for heat. And I don't even own a trailer.:eek: :D

westair
07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Holy crap, there are a lot of experts on here.:D Some good info, some not so good. Some of this info is the reason we are so busy every summer. Just throw this equipment at it, bigger is better, etc. That's why my phone keeps ringing. Thank god for the 'professional' homeowners.
Dezertrider, that's funny. USACD in anaheim is right next door to Ferguson. Can't wait to see if prices dump, since they both sell York.
mrll
My guess is that both won't be selling York.:D

Not So Fast
07-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Personal experience>>><<< I listened to the A/C guy when we built our house in Havasu 5 yrs ago, installed Lennox 2 speed air and couldnt be happier, house remains cool and steady because it runs on low (very high SEER rating) a lot but the power bills are 1/2 $$ what my neighbors are. Yes it was costly but worth it, thats all I can say, Good Luck. NSF

Roaddogg 4040
07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
What do you A/C guys think about Heat Pumps for a house in Havasu?
Steve

TBONE1904
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
What do you A/C guys think about Heat Pumps for a house in Havasu?
Steve
Is it a vacation house or a 12 month a year house? The heat pump would work alright in a early/late summer application, but I would recommend a gas heating section with a dx cooling coil. In winter you will get the house to set point temperature much faster, and the furnace will have more heating capacity than a heat pump. Gas is typically cheaper than electricity, so you will end up spend less in operating cost. The heat pump would have trouble meeting the heating load during the winter months. The construction of the envelope will determine how big the unit must be. The better the components used on the envelope are, the smaller the unit will be. Most residential contractors tend to under size the cooling on residential systems, so if you use a heat pump the heating will be as well.

westair
07-13-2007, 05:13 AM
Is it a vacation house or a 12 month a year house? The heat pump would work alright in a early/late summer application, but I would recommend a gas heating section with a dx cooling coil. In winter you will get the house to set point temperature much faster, and the furnace will have more heating capacity than a heat pump. Gas is typically cheaper than electricity, so you will end up spend less in operating cost. The heat pump would have trouble meeting the heating load during the winter months. The construction of the envelope will determine how big the unit must be. The better the components used on the envelope are, the smaller the unit will be. Most residential contractors tend to under size the cooling on residential systems, so if you use a heat pump the heating will be as well.
Exactly right but I don't think gas is available in most parts of Havasu.

TBONE1904
07-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I dont know what the winter months are like there but if it is in fact cold enought to the point that you would need a gas furnace and you dont have gas at your house then go with electric strip heaters.
It gets down in the low 40's. I was thinking if it's a vacation type home the gas furnace would get to set point much quicker. There is nothing worse than driving all the way to the river, and having the place feel like a meat locker.

HotRod82
07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Heat pumps have come a long way in the past few years. I have them in my house in San Diego, and they keep the house warm even when it dips below freezing. Back in the day, HPs lost their efficiency at about 40 degrees anything colder than that and they didn't work. Not anymore, they heat very well all the way down to 25 degrees and have bi-flow TXV coils that can achieve up to 18 SEER depending on the brand. If gas isn't available, go with the HP, absolutely do not under any circumstances go with strip heaters unless you enjoy $1000.00 electric bills in the winter. (and yes I'm an HVAC contractor)