PDA

View Full Version : Gmc Diesal Help

GottaJet
02-15-2006, 09:46 PM
My dad recently bought an old GMC dually diesal I believe it's the 6.3 :confused:,but anyway it has developed quite an anoying problem. It seems like everytime he lets it cool down it's just takes forever to restart. He has to crank on it for like 2 or 3 minutes. I am absolutely clueless on anything without sparkplugs. Please Help!! The name of a good diesal mechanic in so. cal would also be a great help. Thanks

Kachina26
02-16-2006, 05:42 AM
I think those have a lift pump to supply fuel initially. Someone will know more for sure, but here's a bump to the top.

Just Tool'n
02-16-2006, 05:55 AM
If it is an old 6.2L diesel, it could be the check valve in the injector pump is bad, allowing the pressure to bleed off after it is shut down.
It could also be the lift pump like Kachina 26 said.
Also, the starting system, I.E., batteries, & starter need to be in good shape.
That system, needs to be good, motor needs to spin a certain RPM, before it will start. A set of low batteries, or bad starter will not let it spin up to the correct speed, this effects the injector pump, that is what needs to spin a certain RPM to start.
Next is the glowplugs, & the controller. These need to be in good shape, when that motor is cold it is hard to start without it. get this checked out.
DO NOT USE Ether ( Starting Fluid ) to try to get her to start! It can blow the pan off of the motor. Use WD-40 instead, it will start using this.
Hope this helps.

HammerDown
02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Sounds like it's losing it's fuel prime (air in the system)...and that sucks on a diesel unless ya have a electric fuel pump!
Also the fuel shut off solenoid on those old 6.3's sometimes stick/act up...confirm a click sound on the top/front of the engine when the key is turned on.

BRSTQUEST
02-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Contact Clyde at Westcoast Diesel Performance in Lake Elsinore....I think his log on is Dieseldawg....He has done work on my truck and I highly recommend him

Hermosa
02-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Help with spelling diesel? Sorry couldn't resist! : )

Super D
02-17-2006, 02:59 PM
yeah - check the "click" noise from the fule selenoid when you turn the key (before it cranks). that was the problem in my old 6.2.

1RVRRNR
02-18-2006, 12:53 AM
My dad recently bought an old GMC dually diesal I believe it's the 6.3 :confused:,but anyway it has developed quite an anoying problem. It seems like everytime he lets it cool down it's just takes forever to restart. He has to crank on it for like 2 or 3 minutes. I am absolutely clueless on anything without sparkplugs. Please Help!! The name of a good diesal mechanic in so. cal would also be a great help. Thanks
Hey chief start with the glow plugs.

GottaJet
02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone! it looks like I have some things to check :)

Riomouse911
02-19-2006, 04:43 AM
My 1985 6.2d would get balky when it got hot outside the last year I had it. On a trip to Laughlin it just wouldn't "cold" start when the temp got over 100. I went to an auto-electric place and had the whole glow-plug system re wired and re sensored, and no worries after that. Of course the truck had about 225,000 on it when I got this problem, so maybe the wiring was just old.
The electric place said that the same system that controls power to the plugs will get fooled when the engine sensor gets hot from the sun, so the plugs never get juice to heat enough to spark the fuel. The result was cranking the engine forever and puffs of blue smoke out of the pipes. Apparently this guy's info was good in this case, as it cured my truck's problem. That thing ran like banshee, and I think it is still knocking about in the Fontana area being driven by the guy who bought it from me.
(I think it was Akram auto electric in Montclair who fixed it?)
(Winter hint: If your diesel truck has a block heater plug behind the grille, plug it in and use it when it's chilly. Keeps the block warm and makes it easier to start when under 70 degrees outside. ) Good luck!