PDA

View Full Version : Toddler in hot weather

BrendellaJet
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Im goiong to be in Laughlin next week with my 16 month old boy, Nathan. Its gonna be hot. Are we going to be stuck in the hotel or will the river water & ez up be adequate to help keep him cool? We wont be out all day and he will be dipped in some spf 30 before we step foot outside. Curious to see what others have done in this situation.
Thanks for any input.

Hustler
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Get him a UV suit, sun screen, a hat and just make sure he stays hydrated and cool as possible. Were taking our son who is also 16 months to Big River this week. He's been out to the river a few times this year but not when it's been this hot.

3 daytona`s
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Im goiong to be in Laughlin next week with my 16 month old boy, Nathan. Its gonna be hot. Are we going to be stuck in the hotel or will the river water & ez up be adequate to help keep him cool? We wont be out all day and he will be dipped in some spf 30 before we step foot outside. Curious to see what others have done in this situation.
Thanks for any input.
I`m in BHC and right now 114 you better have him in sunscreen and I`d suggest a hat and shade, do not let him get dehydrated the forcast 110`s all next week. Have a good 4th

Jyruiz
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for any input.
I think he will be fine, we started taking our last one out to the river at 6 weeks in June heat, and then out every other weekend after that till September. Now you can't get her out of the water.

Mandelon
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Keep him cool and wet, wet towels, wet hat, maybe a misting spray bottle, and lots of water and juice available for the guy.

Boatcop
07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Make sure you keep lots of fluids in the kid. Water is best, but a 50/50 Gator Aid/Water mix will keep him hydrated, without getting electrolyte overload.
He may drink he fruity flavored stuff more readily than basic lemon/lime. Pedialyte also has some flavored electrolyte drinks, but again, make sure it's diluted 50/50.
Keep him in as much shade as possible and watch him closely. If he starts acting lethargic, gets cool and clammy, hot to the touch, or stops sweating, get him into a cool, A/C environment ASAP. If he doesn't recover fairly quickly, get him to the ER.

Big Inch
07-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Last year we camped at lake success for a week, it was hot, and my boy was right about 16 months. He did fine until he started cutting a tooth and started running a high fever but that was typical for him with every tooth. Anyways we kept him in waterbabies spf 50, kept a hat on him at all times, frequent dips in the water to keep him cool, and make sure you get him to drink plenty of fluids. Gatorade or something like that would be best. Another thing to think about is where he will nap. We did not have a good solution for this during the day while we were boating so we tried a couple of things. 1st day we got him to sleep in the shade and covered him with damp towels and kept them wet. It worked but not great. After that we drove a truck around to the day camp area and let him sleep in the car with the a/c running. Be very cautious that heat can be a killer.

pw_Tony
07-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for any input.
Here's the problem about Laughlin/Bullhead. The waters frickin cold on the river, and the Lake's too choppy for a low freeboard jet boat, though it can be done!!!:D
Are you bringing the completed hot rod? I would love to see that thing run :)

al cole'holic
07-03-2007, 11:49 AM
...mine is 10 months and we are headed to Palm Springs, talked to my cuz and it's 120 right now. We keep him floating in the pool in a shaded kid thingy and under an EZ Up with lots of popsicles :)

BrendellaJet
07-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks all for the advice. looks like this is pretty doable.

BrendellaJet
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Here's the problem about Laughlin/Bullhead. The waters frickin cold on the river, and the Lake's too choppy for a low freeboard jet boat, though it can be done!!!:D
Are you bringing the completed hot rod? I would love to see that thing run :)
Yes, bringing the hotrod. Gonna wake up the big horn on Mohave at 6 am and will be off the water by 8 or so. After that its river time. It'll be hot so the cold water will be nice. We will be north of needles the whole time so if you see me flag me down and ill throw a silver your way.

lucky
07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for any input.
River - tent - swimming - and an ice chest full of water :D and if that don't work find a fat boater for shade , shouldn't be to hard to locate :devil: :D ps i'm not going to the river this weekend :eek:

ADDICTED
07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Keep him cool and wet, wet towels, wet hat, maybe a misting spray bottle, and lots of water and juice available for the guy.
This is exactly what we did all last year. My son is know 16 months old and whent out last weekend with us. He eats alot of fruit, drinks alot of fluids, and spends alot of time in the water. The misting spray bottle was the best thing when he was young. Always kept him what.
We always cover him in the SPF50 baby lotion.
I tried the hat thing but he would not keep it on. So we spiked his hair with the suntan lotion and let him rock it. He was in the sun almost all day last wekend and barley got any color.
You should be fine.

mobldj
07-03-2007, 01:06 PM
dont forget to baste the little bugger twice an hour....lol

Magic34
07-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Dont foget that the sun refelcts off the water, so just because they are under an EZ up, they still can get some sun.

STLRFAN
07-03-2007, 01:13 PM
lots of fluids and I use 50 spf with my boys.. in and out of the water a lot too

Mrs. Restless22
07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Throw the SPF30 away and use 50. 70 is better if you can find it.
Little ones skin is so sensitive to sun, they burn 3-5 times faster then we do. Dont go less then SPF 50!!!!

BrendellaJet
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Throw the SPF30 away and use 50. 70 is better if you can find it.
Little ones skin is so sensitive to sun, they burn 3-5 times faster then we do. Dont go less then SPF 50!!!!
This kid is half palestinian, he's practically a terrorist. Point is, hes got 30 spf built in. 30 on top of that should be good.

MAINEVENT
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
This kid is half palestinian, he's practically a terrorist. Point is, hes got 30 spf built in. 30 on top of that should be good.
Then what are u worried about???

ChumpChange
07-03-2007, 04:28 PM
3 to 5 times faster than adults? That means my kid will burn in 30 seconds :eek:
Chump "Casper" Change

phebus
07-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Then make sure you keep the towel on his head wet at all times. :D

Quest4Fun
07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
dont forget to baste the little bugger twice an hour....lol
lol...and turn over when you baste...:D

3queens
07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
best thing for naps is boat rides under the bimini
@wot: : :cry:

frdvschvy
07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
As for the napping, it has never really worked out well on the shore. I do not know what other people call them, but I call them the $100 nap, Get all the kids in the boat and head up river and do not stop till they are asleep. Turn the boat around and point down river and float. REMEMBER THOUGH THIS IS KEY, do not turn off the boat, or your $100 just doubled.
Ah yes, the $100 nap is money well spent. Our 17 month old son was getting fussy and tired around 1pm today. Pulled out of the channel and he fell asleep as soon as we hit open water and got up to speed. Slept all the way up river just north of Topoc. Turned the boat around and ran down the river back to the lake and he did not wake up til we shut the boat off at the Windsor ramp. :)
Fluids are key and Waterbabies SPF50 is a must(works well on adults to). We keep the bimini up all day with our son in the boat and keep him cool with wet towels.
Have fun!

SmokinLowriderSS
07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Make sure you keep lots of fluids in the kid. Water is best, but a 50/50 Gator Aid/Water mix will keep him hydrated, without getting electrolyte overload.
He may drink he fruity flavored stuff more readily than basic lemon/lime. Pedialyte also has some flavored electrolyte drinks, but again, make sure it's diluted 50/50.
Keep him in as much shade as possible and watch him closely. If he starts acting lethargic, gets cool and clammy, hot to the touch, or stops sweating, get him into a cool, A/C environment ASAP. If he doesn't recover fairly quickly, get him to the ER.
Good lord people. How many millions of years has mankind dealt with heat before we invented air conditioning???!!!
The child can be fine, if you do as advised, sunscreen, shade as much as possible, fluids to drink (and fluidy-things to eat like fruits), always, ALWAYS include food to eat, wether heavy on water (like fruits) or not.
The ONLY kid I had go down on me in Baghdad from heat exhaustion (it was 145 in the shade there folks) went down from drinking plenty, but eating some saltine crackers the night before, and after a might's sleep eating NO BREAKFAST, and then trying to keep up with a guy 20 years his senior(me) searching dump-trucks inbound to our base!
Always keep in mind the above bold section, it is the onset of HEAT STROKE which KILLS!
Cool, and sweating bullets, is good. Hot and dry (no longer sweating) is VERY BAD!!!
Also, yes, as advised above, the "sports-drinks" and their pedialyte alternatives are great UNDER HEAVY EXERTION. For normal people, under less stress, split 50/50 with water. Too damn much sugar and salt unless you are actively under heavy exertion like playing sports.