PDA

View Full Version : Toddler lifejacket

Big Inch
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Anyone got a recommendation for a safe and comfortable lifejacket for a 2 year old about 32 pounds?

ADDICTED
07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Anyone got a recommendation for a safe and comfortable lifejacket for a 2 year old about 32 pounds?
There is a place on the way to Havasu pass Parker on the RHS. It is the gas station with the Rooster on its roof. I believe it is after Big bend. I got my son one tehre for when he was 4 months old and one for when he was 16 months old so I can only assume they have one for you.
Otherwise I believe Westmarine have them also.

Mrs. Restless22
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I dont know if the law requires those head support things, but my son HATED that thing. As soon as we got him in a life jacket that didnt have that, he was fine all day long.
I think his is a Stearns? I wouldnt go with the neoprene, unless they wear a t-shirt with it on all day, it seems to give them rashes where it rubs.

BrendellaJet
07-03-2007, 02:30 PM
sport chalet has them!

Boatcop
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I dont know if the law requires those head support things, but my son HATED that thing. As soon as we got him in a life jacket that didnt have that, he was fine all day long.
I think his is a Stearns? I wouldnt go with the neoprene, unless they wear a t-shirt with it on all day, it seems to give them rashes where it rubs.
As long as they're Coast Guard Approved, they're OK. Make sure the kid's PFDs are the proper size. Check the label for the weight range. If they fit right, they'll be more comfortaable and the kids won't mind wearing them so much.

Big Inch
07-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Any particular brand or style considered better then others? For example there are a gazillion child car seat manufacturers but 1 in particular that is considered much safer then all the others.

HMF'er
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Wal Mart. They have everything.

MBlaster
07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
If you ever get down to the south bay I've got a couple you can have. My kids have outgrown them and they are just sitting in the garage.

Boatcop
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
If you ever get down to the south bay I've got a couple you can have. My kids have outgrown them and they are just sitting in the garage.
Take them to the River with you.
The next time you see some moron with their kids in adult life jackets, give the jackets to them.

MBlaster
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Not a bad idea. Hell they don't take up any room.

Dude! Sweet!
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I've got a son who's 35# and almost 2 and a daughter who's 32# and just turned 3. They each have a Mustang Lil' Legends jacket. My daughter doesn't mind it at all, but my son gets a bit bothered when he sits down hecause he's shorter. The jacket weight range is 30-45# I think. The floatation is good though. Tested them in the pool.

lalhc
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I bought several through Overton's and at Chapparal Motor Sports in San Bernardino.

HocusPocus
07-03-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9510cutie-med.jpg
this is the one we got for my youngest a couple years ago at sportmart. they are coast guard approved, comfortable and when they are floating it cradles the head and makes them look like a turtle. they also have the crotch strap so they wont slip out the bottom. she loved it.. just look at how happy she looks in august at 120+ heat. :)

3queens
07-03-2007, 07:21 PM
if you can do a little stitch work cut a small piece off
the front top portion of the vest so is does not choke them
when holiding the while driving and playing by the water
we do it to ours and they wear them all day no problem
any brand long as uscg app. (dora ,scooby ect) have fun be safe

Twins+one
07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Costco, HO's. about $25 bucks, and go up to 50 pounds. My 2 year olds love them, they do not have the neck support but do have most of the flotation on the front of the vest, they also have the crotch strap. Hope this helps!

Boatcop
07-03-2007, 07:30 PM
if you can do a little stitch work cut a small piece off the front top portion of the vest so is does not choke them
when holiding the while driving and playing by the water
we do it to ours and they wear them all day no problem
any brand long as uscg app. (dora ,scooby ect) have fun be safe
Any alteration to the vest voids the Coast Guard Approval. DO NOT do any cutting or anything else to PFDs. If they don't fit right. FIND ONE THAT DOES!

TheCarDudes
07-03-2007, 09:46 PM
We actually bought ours at the boat show but ..... Big 5 has the neoprene ones. The right size should be to 30 to 50 lb one. I highly recommend the rash guard to go with it. Makes a huge difference with the comfort and screens the sun too.
My daughter is 3 and weighs 32 lbs. She loves wearing it because it is her "ticket" to get on the boat. She wears it ALL DAY. The ONLY time she takes it off is in Topock for lunch or at Moabi when we are beached. And yes, with a pool at each house, she can swim.
I just feel you can never be too safe.
My daughter is the one on the right
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/16594IMG_3563-med.JPG
TCD

Old school Ultra
07-04-2007, 07:17 AM
My 6 year old and 3 year old both wear Costco HO jackets, they don't mind them, But the alway wear Rash guards under them... Keeps them from complaining about the vest all day.....