PDA

View Full Version : gas tanks

marty722
07-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I just pulled the gas tanks out of the project boat I'm working on as they have been sitting for about 5 years or so... What is the best way to clean Stainless tanks without spending a ton of money? Any info on this would be great... Thanks

ChumpChange
07-03-2007, 05:41 PM
I just pulled the gas tanks out of the project boat I'm working on as they have been sitting for about 5 years or so... What is the best way to clean Stainless tanks without spending a ton of money? Any info on this would be great... Thanks
I generally clean things with gasoline. :D Oil stain on the driveway? Gasoline! Weeds growing where they shouldn't? Gasoline! Need to get paint off my hands? Gasoline!
Cleaning out a gas tank? Gasoline! :D

marty722
07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Are you saying use gas to clean the inside of the gas tank?????It has some brown like rust in it....

Wavemaker
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Must be a cheap grade of stainess steel used in the original tank construction. Lastb time I checked, stainless steel does not rust unless there are impurities in the stainless steel material. You may consider installing new stainless steel tanks to avoid future issues with rust.

DMOORE
07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I have used diesel fuel and a couple handfuls of 1/4" nuts. Slosh around, and the nuts will knock off any lose debris. Works great. (Diesel acts as a good solvent).
Darrell.

ratso
07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Are you sure it isn't aluminized steel? They used to have those years back? They would rust up bad... If so, your only option is to replace.

Xlration Marine
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I did a resto on a datsun, baaad tank. I put a chain inside it rattled it darn good, hit it with a rubber mallet. Dumped the junk out and then put in the shop vac. Went out and bought this stuff to reseal the inside of the tank, forget what it's called. Worked great and never had a problem with it after that. You just plug up all the holes, slosh it all around the inside of the tank, rolling it to cover all the spots. Unplug the holes and let the extra stuff drip out. Piece of cake.

YeLLowBoaT
07-03-2007, 06:21 PM
por 15 makes a kit that fixs old rusty gas tanks... it runs about $50. It is a process and make sure you read the instructions.

ratso
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Depending on size, you can buy a new poly tank for usually 100 to 200 bucks, with a new sending unit. Depending on the age, you might want to change out the hoses too. I wouldn't be comfortable "fixing" a tank that is rusted, especially in a boat. Kaboom...;)

3 daytona`s
07-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Must be a cheap grade of stainess steel used in the original tank construction. Lastb time I checked, stainless steel does not rust unless there are impurities in the stainless steel material. You may consider installing new stainless steel tanks to avoid future issues with rust.
READ the Post there was no mention of rust or any other issues just wanted to clean them out. New Stainless Tanks are you serious? do you mean the originals were like the K-Mart Blue Light Specials?:idea:

ratso
07-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Are you saying use gas to clean the insode of the gas tank?????It has some rust in it....
Uh... I believe he mentioned rust here Turbo...;)

Xlration Marine
07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
por 15 makes a kit that fixs old rusty gas tanks... it runs about $50. It is a process and make sure you read the instructions.
Yea thats the stuff. My 1970 datsun didn't go kaboom.

Classic Daycruiser
07-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I would steamed cleaned it, look it over, see if its worth saving. If it has actual rust, and not just a build up of dried gas residue, I'd give it the heave ho, and any lines that feed the motor its fuel. I would not trust a fuel filter with a rusty tank.
Mine is aluminum (50 gallon belly tank). I replaced the sending unit recently, and looked in side, and it was clean. It is 22 years old:idea:
Post a picture of it:rolleyes:

ratso
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Yea thats the stuff. My 1970 datsun didn't go kaboom.
I doubt your Datsun would leak gas in your bilge area.

YeLLowBoaT
07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
I doubt your Datsun would leak gas in your bilge area.
actaully if done right they don't leak...( will actaully fill pin holes) if done incorrectly... lets just say I'd be a whole lot more worried about your fuel system then a leak.
We are not talking about fixing a tank thats a sive.

ratso
07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Not to come across as an ass, but if a tank is questionable, replace it. I've seen plenty of boats blown up, catch fire, and kill people... but in this business you see people cut corners all the time... automotive starters, alternators, carbs, etc... and that's just the tip of the iceberg... Granted, if it's just some surface rust, no big deal, but if it's actually pitted, I would change it out.

marty722
07-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry to make this a big deal maybe I led you guys wrong.. Heres a pic of the tank... No Rust but very dirty on the sides on the walls of the tank that had old gas so it looks like rust but its just very dirty and it had alot of brown stuff. Sorry I stated the wrong thing... Here's the pics of the tank... Again sorry. Any other ideals?

marty722
07-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Added Some pics thanks

ratso
07-03-2007, 07:42 PM
:jawdrop: I wonder if a radiator shop could vat those to clean them out?

marty722
07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm going to go by Burbank Rad on thurs and see how much? I have no idea what it would cost...

LGCDEVIL
07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Bingo. Should be under a hundred bucks.

TahitiTiger
07-03-2007, 08:08 PM
When I took the saddle tanks out of my Tahiti I had a rad shop clean em and pressure test em. One of em cracked under testing, and they welded it and retested it. $100 for two 11 gallon tanks cleaned and repaired. :D
If your tanks are steal they will coat em for you too for a little extra.

Xlration Marine
07-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Is the pic of the inside of the tank the same one that has the sender on it. If so, pull the sender out, that will rust like a big dog. That looks more like old junk gass that has turned into slim. Those tanks should last longer than the boat. Could even be from the fuel fills and condensation over the years of non use. Put a rag on a stick with some carb cleaner on it and rub the bottom of the tank to see what you get, I'll bet it looks ok. Or just spray carb cleaner into the hole and rub it that way. That sender looks nasty bad.
Also looks like the rust is coming down into the tank, which would be the fills. And looking at the inside pick again that is the one with the rusted sender on it, the block wall is in the back of the pic. To much CSI.

marty722
07-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Is the pic of the inside of the tank the same one that has the sender on it. If so, pull the sender out, that will rust like a big dog. That looks more like old junk gass that has turned into slim. Those tanks should last longer than the boat. Could even be from the fuel fills and condensation over the years of non use. Put a rag on a stick with some carb cleaner on it and rub the bottom of the tank to see what you get, I'll bet it looks ok. Or just spray carb cleaner into the hole and rub it that way. That sender looks nasty bad.
Also looks like the rust is coming down into the tank, which would be the fills. And looking at the inside pick again that is the one with the rusted sender on it, the block wall is in the back of the pic. To much CSI.
Will do thanks for the info.