PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 1992 20' stoker tonight!!

565edge
07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Came over to the dark side. Bought a very clean 1992 20' stoker with a 1993 merc 2.5 260hp motor.Boat was from around the parker area. Its white with reds and grey's. What kind of performance should I see with this thing? Its got hydraulic steering and a manual adjustable jack plate. Got a 24 pitch lightning et on it? Ill try to get some pics...Thanks

Tom Brown
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
It's hard to imagine that's the right prop for river cruising. It will probably pull pretty hard when you hit the gas. :D :D :D
I can't give you any insight into what numbers to expect but it will be wild. Congratulations on a great boat. :cool:

565edge
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Thank you..How high should I adjust prop shaft to keel? Motor has boyseen reeds,reed spacer and a cdi ecu?Here is a pic...

YeLLowBoaT
07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Nice looking boat.

riverbound
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Congrats!! :D

bordsmnj
07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Really Nice! not that i'm biased or anything...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34365&d=1183529483

565edge
07-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Thanks guys....Im picking up this morning in havasu. leaving now...

HavasuDreamin'
07-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Nice Boat. How high you run you motor is directly related to the water PSI you generate. I would recommend running it even with the bottom of the boat to start with. Watch your water PSI guage and run no less than 10-12 PSI of water at high speed. FYI, when cruising, you won't generate any more than 5-7 PSI which is normal.
With a 24" prop, you will get better acceleration but the top end will suffer. My guess is a 26" ET would be a great all around prop with enough bottom end and plenty of top end to get you into the low to mid 90's.
Best of luck and enjoy. :)

RitcheyRch
07-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Nice boat and congrats. We need a Stoker Regatta

Towndrunk
07-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Came over to the dark side. Bought a very clean 1992 20' stoker with a 1993 merc 2.5 260hp motor.Boat was from around the parker area. Its white with reds and grey's. What kind of performance should I see with this thing? Its got hydraulic steering and a manual adjustable jack plate. Got a 24 pitch lightning et on it? Ill try to get some pics...Thanks
What did the guy tell you ? I like the colors.

stoker2001
07-04-2007, 06:47 PM
With a 24" prop, you will get better acceleration but the top end will suffer. My guess is a 26" ET would be a great all around prop with enough bottom end and plenty of top end to get you into the low to mid 90's.
Best of luck and enjoy. :)what he said

565edge
07-04-2007, 08:12 PM
He said 92. I actually paid for boat last night without looking at it. Picked up from Lakeland marine this morning. Rich said motor should make around 290-300 hp. I would be very happy in the 90's. Got home and washed boat and it looks great.Thanks for the help..Allen

Stoker22
07-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Thats actually a 20.4 not a 20 it is the boat in the brochure only it had an Evinrude then. It was rerigged without the hydralic jack plate a few years ago. I drove it at Havasu 2 years ago as it now sits and 90 plus was not a problem, get some seat time. A 26 will run faster but the 24 will be quicker.

Towndrunk
07-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Thats actually a 20.4 not a 20 it is the boat in the brochure only it had an Evinrude then. It was rerigged without the hydralic jack plate a few years ago. I drove it at Havasu 2 years ago as it now sits and 90 plus was not a problem, get some seat time. A 26 will run faster but the 24 will be quicker.
Ya think the extra 4 inches is a big deal?:)

vishus
07-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the 20.4 a slightly different bottom than the 20? Slightly changed strakes and tunnels for a better rough water ride...
Could be wrong, often am...
sid

565edge
07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
This is the boat. What hieght do i need to set jack plate. I took it out today and it runs good. I do need to get some seat time.I had a couple tunnel jets but this is a little different getting out of the throttle.Dont want to end up in the water or deck of boat. Do these boats not require alot of setback?Boat ran great. Took it to 7200rpm and had it trimmed up.It started picking some speed up and a slowly rolled out of it..Just wanted to check propshaft hieght? Thanks for the help..It rolls right on plane.

Towndrunk
07-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Sounds like it's set up right now. If it ain't broke don't **** with it. NOBODY on this board can set it up over the internet. Use it til you have a problem then diagnose it. Good luck.

Stoker22
07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
TD I was just letting him know that it is what we call a 204 not the 20. The 4 inches makes little if any difference as you mentioned but the boat is also wider,deeper, heavier and has a totally different bottom thus likes a different set up. Vishus is basically correct on the changes. I will agree the set up sounds close, it likes the ctr of the prop shaft even with the bottom and the tunnel tabs should be 1/2 turn up from level. Have fun if I see you at Havasu I would be more than willing to spend some time with you on the boat.
TD have you talked to Kevin lately?

565edge
07-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Thank for the help. Going to the lake tommorow. One more question. I need to screw down 1 of my front seats. Where is a safe place to screw down at. Not sure where the wood is at? Thanks..Allen

Towndrunk
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
TD I was just letting him know that it is what we call a 204 not the 20. The 4 inches makes little if any difference as you mentioned but the boat is also wider,deeper, heavier and has a totally different bottom thus likes a different set up. Vishus is basically correct on the changes. I will agree the set up sounds close, it likes the ctr of the prop shaft even with the bottom and the tunnel tabs should be 1/2 turn up from level. Have fun if I see you at Havasu I would be more than willing to spend some time with you on the boat.
TD have you talked to Kevin lately?
Actually no. I called not too long ago but he was not in. Why? Whats up.:idea:

natevortec
07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
where did you find the boat listed?

565edge
07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Saw it on boat trader...You looking for one?

badluck
07-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Very nice!

natevortec
07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
ya, im looking but not in a rush, i look around a lot on ***boat, and boat trader. I didnt see yours. i must have missed it.

stoker2001
07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
ya, im looking but not in a rush, i look around a lot on ***boat, and boat trader. I didnt see yours. i must have missed it.Had to of seen our 2005 224 with Merc 250XS,lots of doe ray me,but wife says it has to go:rolleyes:

DAVEO
07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
ya, im looking but not in a rush, i look around a lot on ***boat, and boat trader. I didnt see yours. i must have missed it.
I have a 1996 20.1 2.5 200 for sale.

natevortec
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
yes i did see your boat. 224 with the 250 opitmax, it has the kevlar hull...How fast does it run??

77charger
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
He said 92. I actually paid for boat last night without looking at it. Picked up from Lakeland marine this morning. Rich said motor should make around 290-300 hp. I would be very happy in the 90's. Got home and washed boat and it looks great.Thanks for the help..Allen
probably going to be faster than the jet you had.LOL.
stokers are pretty nice boats.Looks like you are going to enjoy it.

stoker2001
07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
yes i did see your boat. 224 with the 250 opitmax, it has the kevlar hull...How fast does it run??250XS Motor is built by Mercury racing,Its a 2006 model,first year they upped the rev limit to 6300rpm and recalibrated the ecu to run on 87 octane:) fully factory warrantee till 8/2008 (transferable).With a labbed 28 PRO ET fourblade with myself, light fuel load and perfect weather and chop i hit 90 on GPS.The boat has full size standard interior,which adds lots of wieght,but is very comfy.The fuel mileage is unreal for this size boat and performance potential.I did a marathon delta run last month covering 178 miles on GPS in one day and only used 33 gallons of fuel averaging 40mph:eek:

DAVEO
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
250XS Motor is built by Mercury racing,Its a 2006 model,first year they upped the rev limit to 6300rpm and recalibrated the ecu to run on 87 octane:) fully factory warrantee till 8/2008 (transferable).With a labbed 28 PRO ET fourblade with myself, light fuel load and perfect weather and chop i hit 90 on GPS.The boat has full size standard interior,which adds lots of wieght,but is very comfy.The fuel mileage is unreal for this size boat and performance potential.I did a marathon delta run last month covering 178 miles on GPS in one day and only used 33 gallons of fuel averaging 40mph:eek:
Its a nice ride.

HP350SC
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I have a car motor turd f/s in spam;)

stoker2001
07-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a car motor turd f/s in spam;)HEy MIKE
How goes it?
We are heading your way this weekend for the Dexter dealio.Hopefully it will be as good as last years showing when we sawed them all off:rolleyes:
Take care and hope to see you soon

HP350SC
07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey Kevin, hope you kick some ass down there. That boat is consistent isn't it!
I'll be at Portland Poker run this weekend, not in my boat though...31' cat with 1471 572's and sixes:D
Really surprised my boat has not been snapped up at under 40k????

stoker2001
07-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Kevin, hope you kick some ass down there. That boat is consistent isn't it!
I'll be at Portland Poker run this weekend, not in my boat though...31' cat with 1471 572's and sixes:D
Really surprised my boat has not been snapped up at under 40k????Have fun at the run,sounds like that is some ride!!!!The economy is sucking bigtime right about now,we have been advertising ours like crazy for two months now and havent even got one tirekicker:eek: we are probably more buried in our 224 then you are in yours
take care

You Te
07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Interesting!

stoker2001
07-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Interesting!
Hey workoholic,how goes it
I expect you to make a showing in San diego this Sept
I relinquished the points lead last weekend by turning on the big ugly redlight in round one
Hadnt done that since last year at San diego:cry:

Towndrunk
07-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I relinquished the points lead last weekend by turning on the big ugly redlight in round one
Better stop dat chit!

STV_Keith
07-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Any idea what the boat weighs? Even on the trailer, we can get an idea...go hit the truck scales with it. The 24 will accelerate well, but at 7800rpm (stock rev limit) you're all done around 87mph. Remove the limiter and it will probably turn it into the 8300-8500rpm range and you can pick up a bit on the top end.
Personally, my rig weighs in around 1850# with me and fuel, and I like a 27 pitch the best. Nice balance of acceleration, top end and cruise RPM. Just hook up with some of us OB guys at the river and try some different props. I usually carry at least one spare prop with me, and can carry two, plus the one on the boat. Can give you some ideas of what else you might like.
The ET's won't lift the bow as much as a full round ear prop like a Merc chopper or Mazco RE, so it all depends on the boat. I prefer the Mazco RE on my boat, due to the extra weight...it wants the bow lift.
Not sure where the Stokers like to run for engine height, but my rig ran the hardest with the propshaft centerline 1-1/8" above the bottom with 6" of setback in the jackplate. With the mechanical jackplate, you won't get to adjust on the fly, so it will take longer to find the happy spot...but I'd say play with the jackplate last. Get used to the boat, the try some different props. If any do something you don't like, try moving the jackplate to see how it affects what the boat does with that prop. Some props like to be higher, some like to be more in the water.
Have fun and be safe. :)

565edge
07-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Any idea what the boat weighs? Even on the trailer, we can get an idea...go hit the truck scales with it. The 24 will accelerate well, but at 7800rpm (stock rev limit) you're all done around 87mph. Remove the limiter and it will probably turn it into the 8300-8500rpm range and you can pick up a bit on the top end.
Personally, my rig weighs in around 1850# with me and fuel, and I like a 27 pitch the best. Nice balance of acceleration, top end and cruise RPM. Just hook up with some of us OB guys at the river and try some different props. I usually carry at least one spare prop with me, and can carry two, plus the one on the boat. Can give you some ideas of what else you might like.
The ET's won't lift the bow as much as a full round ear prop like a Merc chopper or Mazco RE, so it all depends on the boat. I prefer the Mazco RE on my boat, due to the extra weight...it wants the bow lift.
Not sure where the Stokers like to run for engine height, but my rig ran the hardest with the propshaft centerline 1-1/8" above the bottom with 6" of setback in the jackplate. With the mechanical jackplate, you won't get to adjust on the fly, so it will take longer to find the happy spot...but I'd say play with the jackplate last. Get used to the boat, the try some different props. If any do something you don't like, try moving the jackplate to see how it affects what the boat does with that prop. Some props like to be higher, some like to be more in the water.
Have fun and be safe. :)
I have been having issues with this motor/boat. It is a 1993 2.5 260 offshore with a cdi digital ecu.The box is new with the limiter in the 11,000 rpm range. I cannot get more than 7,000 rpm out of it. I am heavy at 375 pounds.This prop does not lift the bow.When I trim it up it feels like the boat does not free up and it raises the motor and makes a big roost. I checked the fuel filter,water seperator,installed a fuel guage and it stays right around 39 psi at wide open throttle.I just installed ngk br9hs-10 plugs yesterday and tried last night with same results. It feels after half throttle it lays down.Motor had 140-141 pounds in each cylinder. This is the 3rd cdi box that has been in this boat..Cdi will refund money and Im going to buy a brucato acu-pcu.. I just want to make sure this is the problem..I need help.No one around bakersfield has the diagnostic eq to help. I am new to these and am going crazy. When my wife gets in the boat with me(145 lbs) boat wont go ove 6,000 rpm.With both of us in it it splashes about 1 foot in front of the driver's seat and does not feel safe to drive,kinda feels like it wants to bow steer...Thanks..Allen

STV_Keith
07-21-2007, 12:32 PM
At 39psi, I assume you have the gold fuel pressure regulator. Do you know what A-code ECU you have (ie, A48, A49, A63, etc)? Do you know where the adjustment pot is set? How low is the motor at this point...did you measure the c/l of the PS to the bottom as mentioned above? If the motor was way low, it may do what you describe too. Are you monitoring the fuel pressure as you drive down the lake to verify that it doesn't drop off with load? Those motors make their peak power in the 7500-8000rpm range...you're not even getting to it. I cruise down the lake at 5500-6000rpm. When you stab the throttle, it should jump to at least 5500rpm and then accelerate from there.
Before getting rid of the cdi box you have now, I'd be looking into these other things. Also, is the prop stamped with the pitch? How fast are you going at 6000rpm with you and your wife?

Towndrunk
07-21-2007, 01:02 PM
I have been having issues with this motor/boat. It is a 1993 2.5 260 offshore with a cdi digital ecu.The box is new with the limiter in the 11,000 rpm range. I cannot get more than 7,000 rpm out of it. I am heavy at 375 pounds.This prop does not lift the bow.When I trim it up it feels like the boat does not free up and it raises the motor and makes a big roost. I checked the fuel filter,water seperator,installed a fuel guage and it stays right around 39 psi at wide open throttle.I just installed ngk br9hs-10 plugs yesterday and tried last night with same results. It feels after half throttle it lays down.Motor had 140-141 pounds in each cylinder. This is the 3rd cdi box that has been in this boat..Cdi will refund money and Im going to buy a brucato acu-pcu.. I just want to make sure this is the problem..I need help.No one around bakersfield has the diagnostic eq to help. I am new to these and am going crazy. When my wife gets in the boat with me(145 lbs) boat wont go ove 6,000 rpm.With both of us in it it splashes about 1 foot in front of the driver's seat and does not feel safe to drive,kinda feels like it wants to bow steer...Thanks..Allen
Just because your cdi box says 11000 does not mean it will actually turn that with a prop on it. Start looking at prop dia and pitch, engine height etc. John Marles can check your box to see if it is functioning properly and tell what chip you have. Better than sending it to Rapair. They take forever.

565edge
07-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I have the a48 chip. I know it wont spin that high I just couldnt remember what chip was in it.I have spoke with lakeland marine several times about it. They said cdi will credit me the money back when I send them the box. Prop shaft is level with the bottom of boat. It has the gold regulator.I checked last night with a fuel pressure gauge up front and it stays 38-39 psi at wot. Prop is stamped 14.5x24 merc. I have now checked the injectors and need some help here. I pulled all the injectors out and to the side. I turned key on and pushed the key in for choke. The top 2 injectors squirt a nice spray pattern out of them. The lower 4 injectors spray about 10% of what the top 2 put out. I then went and got a 9 volt battery and tested 1 of the 4 lower injectors and it sprayed just like the top 2. Does this mean the box is not sending the right voltage to the injectors?Box is bad?

565edge
07-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Just because your cdi box says 11000 does not mean it will actually turn that with a prop on it. Start looking at prop dia and pitch, engine height etc. John Marles can check your box to see if it is functioning properly and tell what chip you have. Better than sending it to Rapair. They take forever.
I did speak with John marles today and he told me how to test the injectors. Which I have done.Nice guy and I appreciate the help. Sound like my problem very well might be the ecu. I couldnt remember what chip number it was. I just remember what rpm limit it had.

STV_Keith
07-21-2007, 05:41 PM
If the injectors are suspect, send them out and have them cleaned/tested. My last two sets went to Tony Brucato of SVS/PCU fame and they found 4 bad ones out of the 12. :eek: Could still be a bad box too. You should see if anyone you know out there with a Merc could let you borrow their box for a test. I happen to run the same box, A48 digital, but I'll be in Mojave tomorrow.

66nogo
07-22-2007, 12:53 AM
I have a Bracato PCU if you are intrested. It was for my Daytona that I spoke to you about. If you are familiar with Tony's stuff you will know what you are getting:) . It is set up for a 260 air horn offshore. I never installed on my boat. Give me a call if you are intrested.
Thanks,
Jason
661-313-2085

You Te
07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I love to work. I saw you in Hot Boat.:D :D

motion
07-24-2007, 11:46 PM
edge, if your 20.4 is running 87mph now and you weigh 375, your boat is perfect, the 20.4 does not like passengers in the front. if you could drive it from the back seat it will go 8mph faster, theoretically of course. if you try to go fast with a passenger put them in the rear opposite corner from you, otherwise just enjoy the cruise. make sure that you tunnel extensions are at least level with the top of the tunnels or even a degree down towards the rear, that will help if they are out of adjustment. good luck ps. i am not the skinniest guy at the beach either.

badluck
07-29-2007, 07:34 PM
What do those tunnel ext actually do? Mine are set 1/4 inch up from level.By putting a heavier engine on the back should I be adjusting up or down?

stoker2001
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM
They effect the attitude/balance of the boat.Every boat is different and its all about trial and error or test&tune.Al Stoker talks about this very same topic in this months ***boat mag,take a looksee

565edge
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I dont think the problem is with the boat,I just need some hp to get the boat to air out... I have sent off the injectors and ecu to brucato. I should have some answers next week...

You Te
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
If the injectors are on the lean side, how do the spark plugs that those injectors feed look like. Pyros anyone.:D

Towndrunk
08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
If the injectors are on the lean side, how do the spark plugs that those injectors feed look like. Pyros anyone.:D
Some of these guys don't know about temp gauges and pyros. They will learn after 5 major rebuilds. Maybe:idea:

Tom Brown
08-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I've noticed running lean seems to cause my sparkplugs to get heavier.
I test my injectors by energizing them with fuel pressure on a test jig that points the injector into a graduated cylinder. From there, I trigger them for 60 seconds with a simple timer circuit I cooked up myself. As long as the spray pattern is good and they all flow within a couple of percent, that's good enough for me. As I recall, 37 psi should net around 300 mL. This is all per You Tee's private outboard ninja schooling. :cool:

565edge
08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Well after a month of beating my head in the wall I sent my injectors to brucato.They are the best company I have ever delt with.On time and very nice to boot. I bought a Acu from them and had my injectors cleaned. My new cdi box is junk. Installed the brucato box and its all good! I am very happy the way the boat feels now. It actually accelerates and keeps pulling after half throttle. I pulled it to 7600rpm yesterday 3-4 times. It kept clibing but would run out of lake.Very small lake. I am getting some seat time and listened to what Al stoker told me to do with trimming it up. If I mash it and grab the trim button it does not like to lift.If I keep the motor around neutral and roll into it I can fell the boat lift,at full throttle after it lifts i can start trimming it up and I fell it loosen up and it keeps pulling. I am very happy now and the boat acts completely different now with power behind it...:) :) :) Thanks for the help

Tom Brown
08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
My new cdi box is junk.
I have a CDI Racing box and mine is also junk. What's more, I've heard several other reports of the same.

565edge
08-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I am going to do compression test and see if it looks as when I bought the boat.I am scarred after seeing how lean the motor was going after half throttle. After seeing what is wrong with the box it was going way lean after half throttle. The map sensor was reading only 12.? volts and it is suppose to be over 14 and it was showing engne temp at 260 degree's? The box is brand new?Brucato did not want me to buy a new box until he ran this box on a engine simulator. This is what he found. Brucato''s new box works very very well.Im sending the cdi box back today...