PDA

View Full Version : His first car

roostwear
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
My oldest son started taking driver's ed a few weeks ago, and will turn 16 in a couple months. It's hard to beleive he's gonna be driving soon, 'cuz it doesn't seem that long ago that I taught him to ride a bike. Anyway, I've told him all his life that we'd get him a car, but it'd be a pile and it would up to him to learn to repair, maintain, and upgrade it. Well I was cruising Ebay a couple days ago and found the perfect first car(?) for him. Not exactly a pile by my standards, but I'll teach him the basics as we make it reliable for him. It's a 1963 with a whopping 170 ci inline 6, 3 on the tree, and it only has 104,000 miles on it!
http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van1.jpg
It was a service vehicle for a John Deere dealer in Mesa and is painfully stock. Not even a radio in it. That's OK, it has absolutely NO RUST and is pretty damn straight for a 1963.
Shelley wants to put carpet and pad down in the back in case we ride around with him :rolleyes: I have a feeling it won't take long for him to put SOMETHING in the back of it. Probably should throw a case of Trojans in it when we give it to him....
http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van2.jpg

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 08:18 AM
You aren't serious....are you?
Not even cool, I agree with degrading him with a Ford product, but how about a Mustang, or an old pickup?
At least give your kid a fighting chance.
He wouldn't get a snowball's chance in hell of getting laid in the back of that thing sitting in front of the Chickenranch with a fistful of hundies.(breathe)
Come on Roost, are you getting that old? ;) ;)
Either way, congratulations to your oldest making it to one of three milestones to becoming an adult.
Brian

roostwear
07-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Yup, I'm serious! It'll be coming from Idaho in the next couple weeks. I've already told Dana no tinted windows, no V8 transplants, but we can put some bigs and littles on it and start thinking about paint.

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Yup, I'm serious! It'll be coming from Idaho in the next couple weeks. I've already told Dana no tinted windows, no V8 transplants, but we can put some bigs and littles on it and start thinking about paint.
<shakes head>

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Lemme guess....he can't take the Deere stickers off it either?

RitcheyRch
07-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Very cool. Nice to see someones child going to be driving around in something other than being NEW.

roostwear
07-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey, he was talking about a Volkswagen and there's NO WAY IN HELL that was gonna happen! This was a preemptive strike against krautmobiles. You know there's nothing cooler than an old econoline with bigs and littles, a little rake, a cherry bomb and some shag or fur inside!:D Getting laid will not be a concern.... becoming a grandpa is a concern!

Big Kahunaa
07-04-2007, 08:39 AM
i need the front axle out of that for my gasser
tell him i said congrats

BigDoug
07-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Mike, excellent choice for the youngster.........................i think it's way cool and so will his friends !! cause they will always want HIM to drive since he has the room...................i like it !! :D

AZJD
07-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Not even cool, I agree with degrading him with a Ford product, but how about a Mustang, or an old pickup?
He wouldn't get a snowball's chance in hell of getting laid in the back of that thing sitting in front of the Chickenranch with a fistful of hundies.(breathe)
Either way, congratulations to your oldest making it to one of three milestones to becoming an adult.
Brian
LMAO

Throttle
07-04-2007, 08:51 AM
too bad the drive in's are all gone... romper room....:D

roostwear
07-04-2007, 08:58 AM
He doesn't seem to think his girlfriend will appreciate it. Next.......

XtrmWakeborder
07-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Brian
I have to agree with this... at least an old mustang or something. I wouldn't be caught dead driving that, and yes I paid for my first car by myself. Maybe he has an imagination though.

roostwear
07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
There's a resurgence of vans happening right now with younger kids. Don't worry, he's been around rods and muscle cars his whole life.... he knows what he wants to do.:D

AZKC
07-04-2007, 09:16 AM
He be pimpin, When I started driving I tried to fix up a Corvair Van. It never hit the road but it was cool on the inside. It was this body style:D
http://www.ohtm.org/Auction/%20Auc06Pix/a06_61vairVan.jpg
Take that 63 and Scoobyize it;)
http://info.detnews.com/dn/joyrides/2004/volotvmovies/scoobydoo.jpg

rerfert
07-04-2007, 09:49 AM
roostwear
When he some how wrecks it somehow there is a cooler version here in Yuma AZ....
1964? Ford Panel van.....pearl white, with chrome baby moon wheels that needs and engine
(still 6 cyl and 3 on the tree) cheap.....if you need to replace it with a styled version.

dmontzsta
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Paint this on the side:
"The Bang Bus" :D

Hal
07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Heres one my buddy did up for SEMA a couple of years ago.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118_1862.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118_1858.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Bills_truck_at_show.JPG

pw_Tony
07-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Brian
Oh come on that thing could be pimp! Kind of like those kids that fix up the volkswagons and made them all pimp. My dad had one of them that had a 340! We used to jump on the back of it and do wheelies lol:D
I think it's awesome Roostwear and with some work that thing can be really awesome!:)

Legal Chemistry
07-04-2007, 10:23 AM
"Don't laugh, your daughter might be in here"

78Eliminator
07-04-2007, 10:24 AM
That van is bitchen. It will give him a whole hell of a lot more character than just buying something off the lot to "fit in". Good for you. If he doesn't thank you now, he will thank you later.
Question: are you going to start buying the boy some tools too?

IMPATIENT 1
07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
My oldest son started taking driver's ed a few weeks ago, and will turn 16 in a couple months. It's hard to beleive he's gonna be driving soon, 'cuz it doesn't seem that long ago that I taught him to ride a bike. Anyway, I've told him all his life that we'd get him a car, but it'd be a pile and it would up to him to learn to repair, maintain, and upgrade it. Well I was cruising Ebay a couple days ago and found the perfect first car(?) for him. Not exactly a pile by my standards, but I'll teach him the basics as we make it reliable for him. It's a 1963 with a whopping 170 ci inline 6, 3 on the tree, and it only has 104,000 miles on it!
http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van1.jpg
It was a service vehicle for a John Deere dealer in Mesa and is painfully stock. Not even a radio in it. That's OK, it has absolutely NO RUST and is pretty damn straight for a 1963.
Shelley wants to put carpet and pad down in the back in case we ride around with him :rolleyes: I have a feeling it won't take long for him to put SOMETHING in the back of it. Probably should throw a case of Trojans in it when we give it to him....
http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van2.jpg
that's cool roost, a shaggin waggon:D my 1st vehicle was a 1960's sumthing dodge swb truck with a slant 6 and 3 on the tree. my dad told me that i couldn't have anything else till i wrecked it.he assumed my 1st truck would get totaled. i had saved up 5500 from summer jobs and so on to buy a clean 69swb chebby i found all tricked out.he told me i couldn't buy it till the dodge gave out. the dodge had a leaking master cylinder so i let it leak all the brake fluid out, could tell brakes were giving out, so i found a tree on our dirt road and planted the dodge into it:D :D dad looks at the truck, gets pissed till he checks the brake fluid level, then we drag it home, next day got the money outta my savings and went and got my 69swb:D
make sure it don't have a brake fluid leak,lol. your kid will find his own "tree" to plant it into:D

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 10:51 AM
His plan had disaster written all over it.
Seems pretty harsh, poor Dodge. He could have AT LEAST let you sell it.
Sheesh.
Brian
that's cool roost, a shaggin waggon:D my 1st vehicle was a 1960's sumthing dodge swb truck with a slant 6 and 3 on the tree. my dad told me that i couldn't have anything else till i wrecked it.he assumed my 1st truck would get totaled. i had saved up 5500 from summer jobs and so on to buy a clean 69swb chebby i found all tricked out.he told me i couldn't buy it till the dodge gave out. the dodge had a leaking master cylinder so i let it leak all the brake fluid out, could tell brakes were giving out, so i found a tree on our dirt road and planted the dodge into it:D :D dad looks at the truck, gets pissed till he checks the brake fluid level, then we drag it home, next day got the money outta my savings and went and got my 69swb:D
make sure it don't have a brake fluid leak,lol. your kid will find his own "tree" to plant it into:D

roostwear
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
That van is bitchen. It will give him a whole hell of a lot more character than just buying something off the lot to "fit in". Good for you. If he doesn't thank you now, he will thank you later.
Question: are you going to start buying the boy some tools too?
He got his tools a couple years ago. He's been helping me build rods and boats (in one way or another) since he was 10. Not just handing me tools, but putting the carrier and axles in the 9" in the '68 and more! This is his deal, but I did have to put some limits on it. I can see coming home one night and the engine cover is missing and a tunnel rammed small block is where the 6 used to be.
This is so simple that he can learn the basics first-hand. I can't tell if he's thrilled with getting THIS car or just ANY car. Doesn't matter... life's too short to be an individual... exactly like everyone else!

pw_Tony
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
He got his tools a couple years ago. He's been helping me build rods and boats (in one way or another) since he was 10. Not just handing me tools, but putting the carrier and axles in the 9" in the '68 and more! This is his deal, but I did have to put some limits on it. I can see coming home one night and the engine cover is missing and a tunnel rammed small block is where the 6 used to be.
This is so simple that he can learn the basics first-hand. I can't tell if he's thrilled with getting THIS car or just ANY car. Doesn't matter... life's too short to be an individual... exactly like everyone else!
Maybe he can put one of these in it :devil:
http://i13.tinypic.com/5zd6gdw.jpg

Mandelon
07-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Is his nickname Duckie? :confused:

coolchange
07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Back in the day (way back) there was a guy with a Dodge side door van. When you open the side doors there was a set back 440 in it :eek: . Hauled the freight to about 80 mph. The only thing worse than the brakes on those was the handling, seen a few guys roll em. Econoline pick ups, now there's cool.

roostwear
07-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I've had some reservations about it, trust me. Other than the whole shagmobile part, there is the handling, braking, and lack of sheetmetal if he rearends someone. There's quite a bit I'll do to make it handle and brake better, but he's been warned (and will continue to be) about how to SAFELY drive it.
I was looking at a few E100's, but the prices are too high for a first car, and they handle even worse than the van.
I drove vehicles like these for years without a problem and am sure he can too. It's the kids that are put in cars with 80 airbags, think they're safe, and drive like it's a videogame that I'm concerned for.

roostwear
07-04-2007, 12:14 PM
This look interests him
http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van3.jpg
although it DOES have the perfect front axle for the "gasser" look.

victorfb
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
i think the van is cool mike. and im sure Dana will enjoy it big time. stabbin waggon? maybe, but think back to our day. hell we didnt care if it was in the trunk of a car back then. will it create an opportunity? hell no, he would just find a differant place. i had two ford econolines when i was a teen, and allways found better places than in the van to get some noogie. allthough alot of my friends would pay me to use it in the middle of the night just parked in front of the house. of course i did make them put down a sheet or blanket, that was my first rule. :D so i say let him have full reign of the van and let him decide how it should look. it should reflect HIS personality and style, noone elses.
BTW, does this mean he gets to keep the motorcycle now that he has a van to haul it with? :D
tell him to draw out a paint scheme for it and i will teach him to paint as soon as i get the booth set up. i will even get him supplies cheap.

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van3.jpg
Even if it spawns another Ford dork.
Sign me up to do some super cool billet parts Roost.
I'll make your son a billet license plate frame for the new toy. Ask him what he wants and I'll do one up. It will be the first part he gets for it.
Brian

victorfb
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
hey brian, how about some cool mirrors instead. functional but stylish. because the ones on there look like *%#@.:D

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 12:37 PM
hey brian, how about some cool mirrors instead. functional but stylish. because the ones on there look like *%#@.:D
Yea, I'll do some supercool stuff so the kid is stylin', any Ford needs all the help it can get.
Brian

78Eliminator
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Excellent. We will all be expecting photo updates as he starts making progress. Make his first project to install shoulder harness seat belts. That metal dash is mean in a car accident.

roostwear
07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Damn... baggin on the kid's mirrors. I don't know where that came from... one of them has glass!

victorfb
07-04-2007, 01:48 PM
OK my bad, didnt see the glass. retract............:D

Wet Dream
07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Are you kidding? That thing is bad ass. All retro and shit. That thing looks workable and could be sweet ride on the road, and in the back if he does it up right. ;)

clownpuncher
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Brian
Au contraire Brian. The first thing I thought when I saw the pic was " he's gonnabe gettin a-lot-o butt in that thing."
It's a dorky van, BUT, in a VERY cool way. :D

roostwear
07-04-2007, 02:31 PM
When my paint guy sees it, it'll go to a different level. Between him and you guys, Dana'll probably be showing it next year!

07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
[IMG]
Even if it spawns another Ford dork.
Brian
Better to spawn another Ford dork than another Dodge dud.:D

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Better to spawn another Ford dork than another Dodge dud.:D
Nothing wrong with us Dodge boys, now you Ford guys...wow, that is a whole-nother subject.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I have to admit after seeing this shot, I am a little more inspired.
I am digging the 2" sidepipes
Needs different bumpers.
Brian
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118_1862.JPG

pw_Tony
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Oooo let the modifications start!!!
:D :D :D
http://i16.tinypic.com/6g2j8z6.jpg

victorfb
07-04-2007, 04:27 PM
When my paint guy sees it, it'll go to a different level. Between him and you guys, Dana'll probably be showing it next year!
wait a sec here mike, wasnt this supposed to be Dana's project?:)

roostwear
07-04-2007, 05:16 PM
It is his deal. Nothing wrong with a little fatherly guidance, though.:D

Kindsvater Flat
07-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Whats drivers ed going for down there? We just paid 350 for a 4 day class. Taylor turns 16 august but has to have his permit for 6 months. DL won't be coming until december.

Mattman
07-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Good for him...I hope all his teenage years are full of layin' pipe in that thing!

DSW
07-04-2007, 09:23 PM
This is my old mans 64' Corvair rampside.
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4812/m03may05ant8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Riverdog1
07-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey, he was talking about a Volkswagen and there's NO WAY IN HELL that was gonna happen! This was a preemptive strike against krautmobiles. You know there's nothing cooler than an old econoline with bigs and littles, a little rake, a cherry bomb and some shag or fur inside!:D Getting laid will not be a concern.... becoming a grandpa is a concern!
Hey bro, I owned 6 V-dubs growning up. 1969 with 2.2 ltr duel carbs, 1957 Oval with 1835CC (135's for the front) 1971 Stupid (Super) Beetle, early 1953 Split Window with Semiphores, 1967 Ragtop and a 1958 with 48,000 original miles on it. They are way cooler than than friggin van dude. Not to mention older V-Dubs are easy to wrench on and take more attention than an oil cooled engine. They have POZZI...the drive is directly from the gearbox in the rear engine. The desert isn't so good though for them. If you really want to teach a bit of responsibility, let him get a bug and fix it up. He'll always be wrenching but it will always run...
Oh, by the way, if you can find an original 21 window bus...Play some Reggea and stock to condoms...:D :D I had lot's of fun in my buddies 21 window ragtop...
Serious?? That van looks like the driver should have a bag of crack and maybe live in it.

pebo
07-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Had a 66 In HS and it was way cool. Did a 289 swap in it, Nice. Have him check out this web site, some good info and parts there....http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/ And buy the way i still love my VDubs:D

wsuwrhr
07-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I always wanted a ragtop with semaphores. One of those cars I never got.
I have a '65 Baja bug with a 2332, awesome fun car to drive.
Brian
Hey bro, I owned 6 V-dubs growning up. 1969 with 2.2 ltr duel carbs, 1957 Oval with 1835CC (135's for the front) 1971 Stupid (Super) Beetle, early 1953 Split Window with Semiphores, 1967 Ragtop and a 1958 with 48,000 original miles on it. They are way cooler than than friggin van dude. Not to mention older V-Dubs are easy to wrench on and take more attention than an oil cooled engine. They have POZZI...the drive is directly from the gearbox in the rear engine. The desert isn't so good though for them. If you really want to teach a bit of responsibility, let him get a bug and fix it up. He'll always be wrenching but it will always run...
Oh, by the way, if you can find an original 21 window bus...Play some Reggea and stock to condoms...:D :D I had lot's of fun in my buddies 21 window ragtop...

pebo
07-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry try the home page http://www.vintage-vans.com/

Riverdog1
07-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I always wanted a ragtop with semaphores. One of those cars I never got.
I have a '65 Baja bug with a 2332, awesome fun car to drive.
Brian
The ragtop was a '67...no semaphores on that one...Just a souped up wheelie mobile...Ya, I had wheelie bars and a stinger:D :D 0-60mph in 6 seconds and a top speed of 130mph...2276cc turbo...that is before the steering wheel rattled off.:D
Lost a front wheel poppin wheelies in my '57 Oval...Problem was it was so low I had to call some friends to come out and lift the front end by hand because I couldn't get a jack under it. Hell, I was strippin reflectors from the street with the front apron.
Anyway, Baja's are a blast. Bugs are a blast...Big blocks rule though. Let 'er Rattle:D

victorfb
07-05-2007, 12:34 AM
just to clearify, im a big fan of the VW (Krautmobiles) aswell. type1-2 and even the "thing" and the "gia". hell im still running a 2275 VW in the buggy for the dunes. there is no better and inexpensive way to learn the 4 stroke engine besides a briggs & stratton. i just think your FIRST vehicle is allways the most memmorable and would love to see what Dana does with it. Himself. mike, guidance is good, but id say let him create what he has inside of him. you may be impressed. chip and boyd started somewhere, right?:D

roostwear
07-05-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd rather my kid take his chances with 80 airbags. Kids are going to drive like they drive.
I don't believe that for a second. I'm teaching him to "drive" a car, not aim it. That includes knowing what the limitations of a vehicle are. I can see it when drives different boats, and I have no doubt he'll be able to determine the limits of the different cars he drives, and drive accordingly. I prefer he have a little fear of driving over his head than a false sense of security and no restraint.

wright27
07-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I think that van is sweet. The 70's are coming back big time with the kids now. Just don't paint scooby doo on the side.:D

roostwear
07-05-2007, 07:21 AM
rut-roh....

Cole Trickle
07-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Cool Deal!!!:D
Jen and I talk about what we would buy our kids to drive. I think she has decided on a huge pimped out 60's caddy. I have decided that it will be slow and have 6 piston Baer brakes;):D

LAFD
07-05-2007, 08:47 AM
thats a cool first vehicle definitly gunna be a stabbin cabin. ide put that thing on air bags so it would sit on the ground.lot of possibilitys.

Sleek-Jet
07-05-2007, 08:59 AM
His plan had disaster written all over it.
Seems pretty harsh, poor Dodge. He could have AT LEAST let you sell it.
Sheesh.
Brian
I don't know why you are so upset... it was just a Dodge...
:D

wsuwrhr
07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Ha....ha...............ha.

pw_Tony
07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Punkasss.....:D

roostwear
07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I have nothing against Mopars. I was also looking at an A100 truck, but those big pie tin headlight bezels weirded me out......

superdave013
07-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I like the van. Think it's gonna be a really cool ride for your son.
Also think he'll pull more ass with that thing then wsuwrhr could pull sitting in a DODGE viper and a big stack of 100's. :D

justfloatn
07-05-2007, 01:05 PM
How about somthing like this:idea: 454, turbo400, may have a 9" allready.
70's Retro Hot Rod look.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/redwag1.jpg

Liberator TJ1984
07-05-2007, 02:00 PM
lets see....
no airbags , lapbelts, armstrong steering and flintstone brakes ,new driver ...
let us in on what Insurance is gonna set you back on that dinosoar :eek: :D

MKEELINE
07-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I think the vans cool, it has character. My first vehicle was a beater 76' econoline 150 and I was damn glad to have it. The girls liked it, but their dads hated it. We called it the "Wrastle castle".

roostwear
07-05-2007, 02:47 PM
lets see....
no airbags , lapbelts, armstrong steering and flintstone brakes ,new driver ...
let us in on what Insurance is gonna set you back on that dinosoar :eek: :D
There'll be a couple upgrades. Front disc conversion and seatbelts will happen right away. Airbags are nice, but everyone got here without them. As far as armstrong steering... well, he's not a chick so he'll be just fine.

pw_Tony
07-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I think I'd rather have manual steering in that beast anyway:jawdrop:
get a better feel for the road....
The first car I learned to drive was a 1964 Dodge 440... 4 wheel drums and manual steering, and I'll tell you what, now that I have all the luxurys I feel even more safe with the habit of giving a lot of space infront of me and slowing speeds around the corner...:)

pw_Tony
07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
How about somthing like this:idea: 454, turbo400, may have a 9" allready.
70's Retro Hot Rod look.:D
No way Jose, if you're gonna do a big v8 you need to toss the BBC and get a HEMI

wsuwrhr
07-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Also think he'll pull more ass with that thing then wsuwrhr could pull sitting in a DODGE viper and a big stack of 100's. :D
I bet he could too. I assure you the divorce would cost much more than the stack.

roostwear
07-05-2007, 06:01 PM
The real problem is twofold. Not only does he need to worry about some little cutie wanting to be a mommy, but also bringing home something that's still around WAY after the smile on his face has left. Good thing we've been talking about THAT way before driver's ed!