View Full Version : Electric Tach or Vertex Mag.

FLATMVN
07-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I am seeking info about a electric tach that can be used with a Vertex Mag. i would like to know if this is possible, if so how do you do it and what do you need for equipment, where do you get the equipment and any other info that I might need.
Thanks Louis

gnRacer98
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
You'll need one of these:
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=98
I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how it works.

hondo Jim
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I've talked with auto meter about a auto playback tack they said with the mag you can not get a accorate reading even with the thing they sell.You need to talk to the right teck.

Racey
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Screw all that electric tach bs, get yourself a jones mechanical and drive it off the front of the v-drive :D, it may cost a little more but you'll never ever have to worry about it again.:D

GofastRacer
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I used this one since 92 and it still works flawlesly and never had one problem with it, you can't beat it for the money, way better than a cable tach and a no brainer to hook up with a couple of wires!...
Autometer! (http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2753&sid=9)

gnRacer98
07-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I used this one since 92 and it still works flawlesly and never had one problem with it, you can't beat it for the money, way better than a cable tach and a no brainer to hook up with a couple of wires!...
Does it work without the convertor? What about an external coil mag?
Autometer adds the disclaimer regarding suppresor core wires on everything and the magneto guys (at least Zig) tells me not to use suppresor wires or plugs (it backfeeds the mag and can burn it up?). What is the scoop on this?

GofastRacer
07-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Does it work without the convertor? What about an external coil mag?
Autometer adds the disclaimer regarding suppresor core wires on everything and the magneto guys (at least Zig) tells me not to use suppresor wires or plugs (it backfeeds the mag and can burn it up?). What is the scoop on this?
No converter just one wire to the ground lug, and of course your 12V sourse.. For external coil you need the #6831 which has an inductive pickup that's the only difference. As far as surpressor wires go, I have no idea why they say that, I've always used solid core wires and never had a problem!..

FLATMVN
07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Art
I did some reading on the tach it says to use supresion wire will not work with solid core wires. what are you using or is this BS.and it will work with solid core wires.
Never mind I read the post above.
Louis

FLATMVN
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
No converter just one wire to the ground lug, and of course your 12V sourse.. For external coil you need the #6831 which has an inductive pickup that's the only difference. As far as surpressor wires go, I have no idea why they say that, I've always used solid core wires and never had a problem!..
Art Thanks for the info. Got one in the mail should be here Mon or Tues.
Louis

FlatRat
07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
10-4 on that,
I put mine ...along with the boat at the bottom of the river...and it still works...

GofastRacer
07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
10-4 on that,
I put mine ...along with the boat at the bottom of the river...and it still works...
Wow, really?, I knew they were good but I didn't they were that good, you'd think it would short out when it hit the water!..:eek:

VDRIVERACING
07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I think you're supposed to use solid core wires with the mag.
I tried the electric tach for awhile... they'll work, but nothing better than the mechanical tach. The electric is not as steady as the Jones. Depends where you use it I guess. If it was a trailer queen, smooth lakes and rivers, etc. you could live with the electric. If you're racing...go for the mechanical.

GofastRacer
07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
I tried the electric tach for awhile... they'll work, but nothing better than the mechanical tach. The electric is not as steady as the Jones. Depends where you use it I guess. If it was a trailer queen, smooth lakes and rivers, etc. you could live with the electric. If you're racing...go for the mechanical.
What did you use???, The Autometer is a steady as you'll ever get no matter the conditions, and the Jones is not all that accurate at high RPM's. FYI mine was no fkn "trailer queen" and never had a problem, and I just put one on PS52 boat and it works flawless!....

HONDOG
07-06-2007, 12:00 AM
I took the Jones out of mine and put an Autometer in because the Jones was not readable at high speed (bouncing at least 500 RPM). Have loved it for the last 15 years since. My Autometer is as smooth as can be.

FlatRat
07-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Wow, really?, I knew they were good but I didn't they were that good, you'd think it would short out when it hit the water!..:eek:
Yea,
that's what I thought.The oil press. and water temp gauges were toast but not the tach...go figure:D :D

waterloged
07-07-2007, 05:48 AM
I have a Mallory mag 4, will that tach work with it too? do they make it with the phantom back ground?

VDRIVERACING
07-07-2007, 08:40 AM
I took the Jones out of mine and put an Autometer in because the Jones was not readable at high speed (bouncing at least 500 RPM). Have loved it for the last 15 years since. My Autometer is as smooth as can be.
The trailer queen remark was sorta tonque in cheek...I love all boats!
The problem is Autometer electric tachs are not manufactued, or at least were not when I had one, to use with a magneto. It seemed to bounce a lot, and was subject to the conversion box quality. Now, if you have them dialed in that's all that really matters. Whatever works, right?
I went to the Jones tach, and learned that, like everything else in our quirky hobby, there are tricks to making them work properly.
Most people know it's important to minimize the degree of the bends in the cable, but another critical and far less-known item is the final adjusting of the inner cable length. Mine was fluttering at high RPM. Rudy Ramos and friends came to my aid and cut about 1/4" off one of the cable ends, and it was cured. I think as the cable spins faster, it grows a little bit and starts to bind, so it's important not to start out with a tight fit.

VDRIVERACING
07-07-2007, 08:47 AM
What did you use???, The Autometer is a steady as you'll ever get no matter the conditions, and the Jones is not all that accurate at high RPM's. FYI mine was no fkn "trailer queen" and never had a problem, and I just put one on PS52 boat and it works flawless!....
Do you have a magneto?

GofastRacer
07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
The problem is Autometer electric tachs are not manufactued, or at least were not when I had one, to use with a magneto..
Yes they are!. #6821 for internal coil, #6831 for external coil!..

GofastRacer
07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Do you have a magneto?
Two of them!..

VDRIVERACING
07-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Yes they are!. #6821 for internal coil, #6831 for external coil!..
OK, I found one. You're right, it's made for a magneto. Will progess never end?
One thing though, vertex mags should be run with solid core wires, yet Automater claims this tach will not work unless suppression wires are used.

GofastRacer
07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't understand that part at all, I've always run solid core wires and it works no problem!.

Blown to the Bone
07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Just posted one in spam , may be a little late sorry just read this thread today.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/blowntothebone/tach005.jpg

waterloged
07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a Mallory mag 4, will that tach work with it too? do they make it with the phantom back ground?
I guess you guy's don't run mallory mags! :confused: