PDA

View Full Version : Quagga Mussels and Havasu

gramps
07-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Posted: Thursday, Jul 5th, 2007
Lake Powell Chronicle
PAGE — A boat infested with quagga mussels was decontaminated Friday at Wahweap Marina. The boat arrived at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area from Lake Havasu, where it had been moored for more than six months.
National Park Service staff at the Wahweap entrance station directed the boat to the decontamination station at the marina, since it had recently come from a quagga mussel-infested lake. That is where Aramark employees, while decontaminating the boat, discovered quagga mussels on the boatÂ’s prop, outdrive and underside. The visitor was unaware that he had quagga mussels attached to his boat, according to an NPS press release. AramarkÂ’s staff thoroughly decontaminated the boat before it was allowed to launch.
“As we move into the busy Fourth of July holiday, it is critical that our visitors are aware of how to prevent spreading quagga mussels and infesting Lake Powell,” said Glen Canyon National Recreation Area superintendent Kitty Roberts in the release.

Singleton
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
After 4 days of staying at the Nautical this past weekend, I had those things all over my lower unit. Cleaning them off sucked.

gramps
07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
After 4 days of staying at the Nautical this past weekend, I had those things all over my lower unit. Cleaning them off sucked.
Did you do it yourself or did the check station do it?

pw_Tony
07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Damn you Quagga muscles....DAMN YOU!!!!:D

lewiville
07-05-2007, 03:44 PM
holly shit bird batman!!! why didnt you take it out?

RitcheyRch
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Am guessing the problem is getting worse. Didnt have any issues when we were there a few months back.

Singleton
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Did you do it yourself or did the check station do it?
Simple Green and then a high pressure wash off at my storage and all was gone.

NdaWind
07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Strange they would found them unless he told them he knew he had them. When we arrived at the ranger station at wawheep last May we were all prepared for some inconviences due to all the flyers we were getting. But NO, ranger just said "where you been boating last 30 days" I said no where and he gave me a "MUSSEL FREE" sticker to put on my windshield. Didn't even look at the boat.

gramps
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Strange they would found them unless he told them he knew he had them. When we arrived at the ranger station at wawheep last May we were all prepared for some inconviences due to all the flyers we were getting. But NO, ranger just said "where you been boating last 30 days" I said no where and he gave me a "MUSSEL FREE" sticker to put on my windshield. Didn't even look at the boat.
I think things have changed since last May. They are trying pretty damm hard to keep the bastards out of Powell. I sure hope they do it.

squirt'nmyload
07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
he didn't know that he had them and when he was asked where he'd been he told them havasu, hense the inspection....ya think :D :D

bohica
07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
2 weeks ago while launching at Antelope Point, they asked us if we've been boating at Mead, Mohave or Havasu in the past 30 days. We all said yes, but he never got out of the booth to look at anything.:jawdrop:

Rvr Swpr
07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Damn you Quagga muscles....DAMN YOU!!!!:D
Your not suposed to eat them.

pw_Tony
07-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Your not suposed to eat them.
Ok.... now I think you're stalking me! :D The question is do you know what hot sauce I use?:idea:

Throttle
07-05-2007, 04:27 PM
my boat has been in da water for almost 2 weeks, have not seen any sign of anything... last april the fish eggs were nasty though, even stained some shiat before I could get em off...

Rvr Swpr
07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
No stalking.It was hot yesterday.

Throttle
07-05-2007, 04:31 PM
No stalking.It was hot yesterday.
are you kidding. its hot today! just gettin off the lake and wow, the drive from springs to the channel was hot as hell...

One Particular Harbor
07-06-2007, 07:10 AM
We launched at Wahweap at the beginning of this week (last Saturday) after hauling the boat out from Havasu.
Sadly, we haven't been on the water since April, so the mussels weren't an issue. But, they did interrogate us pretty thoroughly at the gate (i.e. "Are you sure you haven't been in the water in the last 30 days?").
They took our word for it, but they do seem to be trying to keep the mussels out of Powell. Boat's in the water at Havasu now and will be through Sunday. Going to be interested to see if we have any infestation when it's time to wipe down.
OPH

Ziggy
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Simple Green and then a high pressure wash off at my storage and all was gone.
Washed 'em down the storm drains that lead to the lake?;) :D :eek:

PHOTOGLOU
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Now this dosen't sound good at all......

gramps
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I wonder if Simple Green or any other "hosehold" cleaner will kill them? I've heard that the guys at the ramps that find them are using steam then high pressure.

yopengo
07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
:eek: Picking up strange women again? :eek: :D

Firecracker
07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Did anyone happen to take any pictures of the mussels on their boats?

gramps
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Did anyone happen to take any pictures of the mussels on their boats?
If they have only been there for a few days I don't think you can see them, you can feel your outdrive and the bottom of the hull and feel them there. There pretty damm small when they start out.

Firecracker
07-06-2007, 06:44 PM
If they have only been there for a few days I don't think you can see them, you can feel your outdrive and the bottom of the hull and feel them there. There pretty damm small when they start out.
We have not been there yet... We are actually going to Parker, but if they are up in Havi, then they must be down in parker too... :( Thank you for your description though. It will help us out on keeping an eye out for them.

Throttle
07-07-2007, 08:23 AM
floatin... i think i have these things in my ears... not to mention a few other places...

ahhell
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I was stopped and checked at the AG station on the 40 just before Needles, they ran their hands all over the boat feeling for rough spots...4 days in the river and I was clean!!!
Last weekend at Mohave the kids were bringing up rocks with little mussels on them...doesnt sound good
All articles state that 5 days out of water will dry/kill the lil bastard...

RitcheyRch
07-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I was stopped last time went to Havasu on the 40 coming out of Needles. The inspector didnt find anything but warned me next time to leave the bilge plugs OUT.