PDA

View Full Version : alternator

shaun
07-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I bought a one wire alternator but it has the two little terminals at the top of it, looks like one is used for a charging indicator light and the other one says to connect to the alternators battery terminal... but why, the main wire off the back of the alternator runs to the battery (well in my case the starter where the main positive connects), do i need to use those two small terms or just hook this think up with the positive connecting to my main positive source and ground to the block?

Oldsquirt
07-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a 3-wire alt to me.
What brand is it?
Can you put up a pic?

Moneypitt
07-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Yes. My understanding of a "one wire" is a 3 wire with the jumper between those terminals....This creates the one wire.........The "light" wire is not used.......MP

shaun
07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Moneypit that could be, the old alternator that was in this looked the same and a wire went from the main pos term to the bat and then another wire went from the main pos term to one of the little posts on the top, the other one wasnt used i dont think...

Oldsquirt
07-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Yes. My understanding of a "one wire" is a 3 wire with the jumper between those terminals....This creates the one wire.........The "light" wire is not used.......MP
The true 1-wire alternators (based on GM 10si) do this all inside the regulator and require NO extra external wires. You will usually see nothing but a black cover where the 2-wire plug would have gone. Any GM 10si can be made to work like a 1-wire by using a jumper from output terminal to one of the terminals in the plug(can't remember which terminal, 1 or 2,--CRS syndrome:) )
Shaun, where did you get this and what brand?

Moneypitt
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
The true 1-wire alternators (based on GM 10si) do this all inside the regulator and require NO extra external wires. You will usually see nothing but a black cover where the 2-wire plug would have gone. Any GM 10si can be made to work like a 1-wire by using a jumper from output terminal to one of the terminals in the plug(can't remember which terminal, 1 or 2,--CRS syndrome:) )
Shaun, where did you get this and what brand?
OK, I've never seen a real one, only created them. I can't remember which terminal either, but it is the one NOT for the light.......The jumper wire replaces the ignition 12 V for excitement..........Excited yet???....MP

502 JET
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Take a look here (http://www.ebasicpower.com/charge/alternatorwiring.htm) and pick out your altenator.

centerhill condor
07-06-2007, 05:05 AM
use the one wire and go boating. Mine had a "light wire" and I cut it off. the ampmeter still works fine.

beernut
07-06-2007, 07:42 AM
on the delco 3 wire, i have had to put a diode in the exciter wire, engine wouldnt shut down at all,or ran for a few seconds after switch was off, due to feedback :sqeyes:

shaun
07-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Any recommendations or part numbers for a true one wire alt from the local kragen/autozone/pepboys?

502 JET
07-10-2007, 05:23 AM
I doubt an auto parts store will have one. You can use a standard alternator by connecting the field wires one to switched ignition the other to the positive post on the back of the case.
Check your local generator/starter re builder they should be able to help you with a true self excited one wire deal.
I purchased new one from a Mercruiser dealer, it was a marine unit (screens in the case).
I just got this one wire chrome alternator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/105-Amp-chrome-chevy-350-5-7-alternator-1-wire-HI-AMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ011QQitem Z320072508515QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) off ebay, for my jet boat. Its very nice looking and seems to be of good quality. I got it in three days.
There is four options for you. You should have that boat charging in no time.

GofastRacer
07-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Hey Shaun, you can get a kit from Summit for $35 to convert the 3 wire over to 1 wire, it also replaces the regulator with one that you don't have to rev it up to excite it!..
One Wire Kit! (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D1667&N=700+4294847188+115&autoview=sku)

Oldsquirt
07-10-2007, 07:20 AM
I see GFR beat me to it with the Summit conversion idea.
Shaun, considering what you accomplished with the engine build, swapping a few parts in an alternator will be a cake walk. :)

shaun
07-10-2007, 03:21 PM
What about this? https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productitem_10001_10002_750748_-1_71570
Conversion kit is also a option i guess, just with the cost of a alt and conversion kit it's more than the above. Unless this conversion kit has a clear advantage over the above?

GofastRacer
07-10-2007, 07:21 PM
What about this? https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productitem_10001_10002_750748_-1_71570
Conversion kit is also a option i guess, just with the cost of a alt and conversion kit it's more than the above. Unless this conversion kit has a clear advantage over the above?
I just assumed you had a stocker that you wanted to use as a 1 wire, but if you don't have one then you're better off just buying a 1 wire right off the bat. Power requirement will depend on what you have to feed, ignition, stereo, etc!...

shaun
07-10-2007, 11:56 PM
i bought one from the local kragen because i thought i was going to mount it before i left, i will just take it back and buy that one wire deal. I'm just running gauges, bilges, and lights so i think this 80 amp alt should be plenty...

BrendellaJet
07-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Keep the kragen unit, if it goes bad you can bring it back, if the summit deal breaks you gotta buy another one...

wright on
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I removed 37 amp motorola alternator and went to replace with 51 amp alternator. The motorola has lower 3/4" bolt hole size, new one is 5/16"? IT is on a v drive blower motor and the motor mount has a 3/4" hole cut out. Is there alternators out there that are 3/4 inch mount? do I drill out the 5/16" do I sleeve the motor mount? and I havent even got to what wire goes where yet? was only getting a reading of about 12.3 volts at battery while running at idle and with throttle.