PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford Issues!!!!

SPECTRA77
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I have a stock 460 Ford, the first problem that I am having is oil coming out of the dip stick and from the oil filler cap, the cap is a push in, I have had a little oil coming out of both, but now quite a bit is.
I am pretty sure that a twist in cap will correct the oil cap problem, but do the oil coming out of the dip stick I may need a new dip stick, do you know where I can get one?? and could there be to much pressure build up in the system, I am running a PVC valve.
The other is that the boat will start up OK, and most of the time it will start, but a few times, after running it is hard to start, I can smell gas so I know that there seem to be fuel, and when the boat runs it runs well. I have a stock Prestlight distributer with points.

b's sanger
07-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Is your crank case vented?

roostwear
07-06-2007, 08:39 AM
If you don't have a PCV valve on one valve cover, put one on. When was the last time you tuned it?
I have a Prestolite in the Advanantage, and the best thing you can do is put a Pertronix Ignitor in it to eliminate the points.

SPECTRA77
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
If you don't have a PCV valve on one valve cover, put one on. When was the last time you tuned it?
I have a Prestolite in the Advanantage, and the best thing you can do is put a Pertronix Ignitor in it to eliminate the points.
I have a PVC valve on cover, but besides that I could run breathers.
I did a tune-up last season, and cleaned my plugs, I was going to have my distributer curved and checked out.

spectras only
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
You need a PCV valve and the oil filler cap should be the vented style with holes .

SPECTRA77
07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
You need a PCV valve and the oil filler cap should be the vented style with holes .
I do have a vented cap, I am installing a new gromet and PVC valve.
Could a pluged oil filer cause a pressure issue?

Jim Brock
07-06-2007, 12:01 PM
milodon makes a billett dip stick tube and dip stick with a O ring, nice but pricey, i have one at the shop, Jim

roostwear
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I do have a vented cap, I am installing a new gromet and PVC valve.
Could a pluged oil filer cause a pressure issue?
If you have enough blowby (especially at higher rpms), a restrictive breather can cause that.

Desert68
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I think you might want to determine the amount of blowby. A compression test or a leakdown test (better) would give you an idea. I don't know much about boat motors, so I don't even know if PVC setups are common. If it does have a PVC system it's possible a passage in the intake might be partially or fully blocked. Also, be sure it has the correct PVC valve - that can make a big difference. Another option would be to simply put a baffled breather in each valve cover, but again, I don't know what's the norm with boats.
Desert68 (first post from a newbie)

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Give the PCV a shake, it should rattle. If it does not, it is stuck or clogged and probably not letting the intake vaccume do it's job of pulling on the crankcase.

Hallett19
07-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Go MSD billett with the 6AL ignition box w/ the rev limiter, that was the best thing I did with my 460. Also, it sounds like your hard starting could be caused by a sticky needle and seat. Take off your air cleaner and check if gas is leaking into the bowls, if it is, that is your problem, I get that every once in a while.